IMDb > AVP: Alien vs. Predator (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
AVP: Alien vs. Predator

AVP: Alien vs. Predator More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 129:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Unjustly panned by critics and fans

Author: amesmonde from Novelist of The Final Version
9 March 2010

A team assembled by a billionaire investigate a heat signal that reveals a pyramid below the surface of a whaling station in Antarctic. However, the pyramid is a hunting ground for Predators who kill Aliens as a rite of passage and the team find themselves caught in the middle of their hunt.

It shouldn't have been mixed, Paul W.S. Anderson's AVP: Alien vs. Predator was more so unjustly panned by critics and fans due to the hype and anticipation. It has the feeling of an Alien film, a great premise, good cinematography, some amazing effects and a fine score.

Paul W.S. Anderson is successful in bringing the franchises together, respecting ideas from both Alien and Predator movies. I haven't seen a bad film that he's made and I'm not sure why there is such a geek gang hatred against the mans work. The ever-improving Uwe Boll he is not! The strong leads include Sanaa Lathan as the heroine and Raoul Bova. However, unfortunately actors Carsten Norgaard as Rusten Quinn and Tommy Flanagan as Mark Verheiden disappear far too early. Overall the acting is good, Lance Henrikson shows up as the 'real' Bishop but some of the characters lack development and the editing feels choppy in places.

The Predators and Aliens look great apart from some badly executed CGI. It not Ridley Scott or John McTiernan, but Paul Anderson pulls off the almost impossible task of putting these to aliens together on screen.

If there was not an Alien or Predator film prior to this it may have been haled as a science fiction adventure classic, but alas that's not the case.

Not sure why it got such a bad mark from most people

Author: fiore2 from United States
2 August 2009

I went into this expecting a horrible movie. From all the reviews that I read I thought it would be HORRIBLE! I've seen many, many worse movies than this.

A previous comment stated the movie went a bit too fast in explaining things and developing the characters. While I can certainly agree on the former, the latter, well, you just know most of the people are going to get wasted so character development isn't that necessary. We came to see Predators hunt and fight with Aliens.

One thing I didn't like was the movie showed the Aliens more powerful than the Predators. I believe the canon shows the Predators are much more powerful than the Aliens. Regardless, I liked this movie.

This movie surprised me because there were many things I didn't expect. Were some scenes over the top? Absolutely, but this is Hollywood and we're talking Aliens V Predator here :) IF you are a fan of these genres you really should give this movie a chance.

Not as bad as some people make out

Author: shakermakerman from United Kingdom
9 September 2007

Reading some of the harsh reviews I thought I would comment. The big disappointment for me in the movie was the lack of gore , fox did get it wrong to make it a pg13 even though they tried to substitute it with monster gore. All that being said this movie is a visual master-peace, the effects are top notch with very good fight scenes and creature effects with the best looking Alien Queen to hit the screens, The story is pretty cool and it gives more insight of the Predators, It takes a while for the introduction of the creatures but once the ball is rolling its none stop action. Not the horror feast we all wanted but fun.

As much as you hate it, I love it MORE. Spoilers.

Author: x2WGaK_Productionsx from Milwaukee, Wisconsin
15 August 2004

So there is this book out there, by a wonderful writer named Stephen Perry. He wrote and Alien vs. Predator book years ago. I loved the book. I loved it, and obviously lots of other people did too because it was turned into a large graphic novel.

So what does this have to do with the movie? It's the same awesome story! Sure there are differences, but basically, it's the same story about clan respect and the thrill of the hunt.

This one has a group of three "preteen" predators out on their trip to man hood, a group of would-be scientists, and a group of "freezer burnt" aliens.

The hunt commences, and action ensues!

As for the spoilers - here they are. The predator/human relationship. How many people thought it was supposed to be some kind of stupid love story! IT WASN'T! In the book, this was explained a little better I think, and would be a lot easier for others to understand. It's a show of respect. He accepts her as a predator because she kills an alien. In the book - the predator she saves was originally one of the high ranking predators. He's ended up on his own, and the girl saves his life. In show of mutual clan respect, the Predator marks her, and they go on fighting "the good fight" so to speak.

either way - loved the movie. If you hated it, give me your extra tickets and I'll go see it again!

In a difficult scenario Paul W.S. Anderson succeeded.

Author: Mauro Cosentino from Argentina
20 December 2004

Alien Versus Predator starts great and then it gets better and better. We have the two deadliest space monsters of the last twenty years and thankfully they are not involved in a production full of clichés.

Paul W.S Anderson is not afraid of risk. When the easier thing to do would be showing the creatures killing some humans from the first seconds of AVP and minutes later have them killing each other for an hour, the director creates suspense and develop the main characters without losing the rhythm of the movie.

The story has interesting characters (Lance Henriksen as Charles Bishop Weyland is a real sign of respect for the fan). It is highly remarkable that the cast involved play intelligent adults, luckily there's no high school students; so many years have gone since the last sequel of Alien and Hollywood could perfectly spoil it again using people like Sarah Michelle Gellar or Matthew Lillard. The way the script uses the strong elements of both mythologies is very clever as it is the display of personality of the main Predator. After all, Predators are a extraterrestrials with more sophisticated technology than humans, they don't communicate with the earthlings until they prove to be worthy the communication.

Almost all of the action movies use and abuse CGI nowadays but AVP uses these FX wisely mixing them with puppets, that results in a film not just a video-game. The results are bombastic in that aspect, and there's enough blood from the Aliens and Predators to satisfy the thirst from gore fans.

And what about the confrontation of the ugly-faced stars? Unforgettable. AVP has some of the most powerful images created in any of these franchises mainly in the confrontation sequences.

Sheepdom at its finest

Author: weisstein from Carlsbad, Bohemia
15 October 2006

Another great movie spoiled by bad initial critique. And most people jumping on the bandwagon. They moved production of this movie out of Hollywood and lots of people virtually lost jobs to some east European studios where they shot most of the scenes. Lots of anger was present in Hollywood about this, no surprise that initial reviews were strictly negative. This movie is superb in nearly all aspects I watched it more times then all the prequels combined. I like the lead actress and Henriksen as Bishop Weyland, some crew man are actually more interesting then the crew in some Alien prequels, and of course the CGI is finally watchable and say state of the art, not some lame blinking LEDs all over.

Highly underrated

Author: drummerman92 from United States
18 March 2010

Sure this movie might not have that good of a plot or characters but it had good action sequences and effects. I liked how this film revealed a little of the back story of the predators (since they have always been a big mystery) and it tells about how the aliens are the predators ultimate prey. Sure the plot had a few holes like how did the alien queen stay alive when frozen for that long? Or why the aliens acid blood dissolves the claws but not the spears or the bladed disc. But that is made up for with the fight scenes which i personally thought were exiting and very well done. And i thought it was interesting how the aliens used their own queens acid blood the burn through the chains and free her. My opinion on this movie is this Allot of people say it sucked but i think it was alright (partially because I'm a big fan of both series ans I saw AVP:R first) but if you don't have an open mind about this movie don't watch it, if you are a fan of the alien and predator franchises I would highly suggest this movie.

It took 14 years...

Author: dee.reid from United States
14 August 2004

...Before a possible showdown between the iconic monsters of "Alien" and "Predator" would occur, when they would cross paths on screen and battle to the death. There's a scene in "Predator 2" that occurs towards the end of the film, where Lt. Mike Harrigan (Danny Glover) ventures into the Predator spaceship and accidentally stumbles onto the alien hunter's trophy room, and neatly placed towards the back amongst the various awards, was an alien skull. Those 10 seconds of film spawned over a decade's worth of rumors that one day these titans were going to go at it head-to-head, and that whoever won, we'd lose.

As a fan of both the "Alien" and "Predator" franchises, I've been looking forward to "Alien Vs. Predator" for a long time, since that historic scene. I've admired the two monsters for years, collecting all kinds of memorabilia, including books and action figures; you name it, I've probably seen it.

With "Alien Vs. Predator," director Paul W.S. Anderson has achieved something of a mixed bag. Undoubtedly critics will balk early into the film. They'll pick apart its MTV-style editing, bad pacing, and lack of spirit of a genuine "Alien" or "Predator" film. Die-hards will balk at Anderson's direction and the fact that he was even allowed near the film.

I had fun watching it, despite some inconsistencies regarding our two iconic monsters who like to either use humans as hosts for more of their hideous offspring, or trophies which can be displayed in their intergalactic showroom of skulls.

The story is that a massive, ancient Aztec/Egyptian/Mayan temple has been discovered deep below the surface of the Antarctic, and Charles Bishop Weyland (Lance Henriksen of "Aliens") has assembled a team of the world's best archaeologists, which includes Alexa "Lex" Woods (Sanaa Lathan, who convincingly fills in the tough female role), Sebastian de Rosa (Raoul Bova) and Graeme Miller (Ewen Bremner) to accompany him in investigating it. But wouldn't you know it? They're not alone in this gargantuan maze of dark tunnels and ever-changing structures, and that a trio of Predators have come there to hunt rapidly reproducing Xenomorphs.

Well, I can tell anyone that the powers-that-be in Hollywood and at Twentieth Century Fox played heavily into the film's mixed bag treatment. If the movie fails, I'd blame constant executive and studio interference - the b*****ds in suits who decide they want to cater to teenage fanboys instead of the largely adult fan base that this film was originally built on. In doing so, they opt for action over story, more importantly, $$$ over artistic vision.

Anderson has remained faithful in preserving the essence of both the "Alien" and "Predator" franchises by casting no-name performers to combat the extraterrestrial foes, and by emphasizing ideas over action and special effects. On a sour, angrier note, the gorehounds will be sorely disappointed, since executives at Fox toned down the violence considerably as to release it with a "PG-13" rating, as to rake in every penny. Of course, that "PG-13" rating doesn't stop us from getting quick edits (read: no gore) of chestbursting sequences, facehuggings, and people being mercilessly slaughtered by the Predators.

I had faith that Paul W.S. Anderson wouldn't let me down long before I even saw the film; he doesn't, but I have a feeling that his film is destined for the same fate as David Fincher and his film "Alien 3" - that it will go down in infamy and only years after the director has disowned the film and controversy is still brewing, that the true vision of "Alien Vs. Predator" will surface and will finally earn the respect owed to it.

Great combination of the two series

Author: iiiandviii
14 August 2004

Spoilers I thought they way the two series were brought together was about as well as it could have been. Going back in time before the Alien series began was fine with me setting up the Wayland Industry future development of synthetic humans and modeling them after the company's founder as a way to remember him and honor him fits well with his characters fear of not being remembered in the future after he's gone. i hope in future AVP movies the first of the prototypes again brings Lance back to his role again and again.

I've seen comments that the preds were not impressive. I'd say they were as impressive as in any other pred movie. This time, the aliens were much more impressive than in most of the movies. Alien intelligence was well displayed in this movie. The preds continuing to show "sportsmanship" in the hunt continues through both pred movies into this one which i think is a great link. Respect for a human who got a kill as well as mercy for the sick (unarmed people in both pred movies as well as a pregnant woman in pred 2) at least until the sick directly attacked the pred himself. I hated to see the first two preds taken out so quickly but the first was in the middle of conflict with the humans and let his guard down and was suspect to a sneak attack from behind. i thought the movie was great. much more interesting than the second pred movie and most of the Alien movies.

OK, one plot hole that i hated was the idea of a 2000 foot thick ice covering when the distance from the top of the ice (whaling village) was only a couple of hundred feet above the surface of the water (early scene looking down from water tower as well as later scene from same location). since it is an island, that means land is at least at the waters edge meaning not only is the pyramid below ice, but well below land as well. that cliff at the water tower should have been 2000 feet tall if the pyramid was that deep under ice but the perspective of the view and the size of the humans in the shot proved it wasn't near that high although the water was amazingly deep to be right next to shore of an island.

Could've been better, but overall not bad

Author: sgtking from United States
14 February 2010

The idea of crossing over two popular stories really can work if in the right hands. It's been done before, like in some of Universal's monster movies, which were successful. Other cases like 'King King vs. Godzilla' and 'Puppet Master vs. Demonic Toys' didn't fare nearly as well. This is a difficult task because you're trying please fans of both series and characters. One of the most talked about of these is 'Alien vs. Predator,' which started as a successful comic book series that lead to a series of video games that also have done well. Naturally talks of a feature film based on this idea were happening and rightfully so. Both 'Alien' and 'Predator' franchises achieved great success, which also helped in getting the project off the ground. And who'd they hired to do the job? 'Mortal Kombat' and 'Resident Evil' director Paul Anderson, someone a lot of fans didn't want to see do it. However, Anderson did show a lot of enthusiasm and both the pictures and previews for the film looked promising. This was a dynamite idea that needed the right people involved, and was that what happened?

Pros: Visually stunning. Cinematography is crisp and pleasing to the eyes. Fantastic production design. Great special effects. A decent score. Performances are solid. Moves at a good pace, especially after the first half hour. Amazing direction by Anderson, but maybe he should have let someone else write this. Plenty of action-packed sequences.

Cons: A lot of disposable characters we could care less about. It's not so much that the script is badly written, it's just not a very good one. Not too much will stay with you when this over, so the film is ultimately forgettable. Lacks the smarts and suspense of the 'Alien' series. The action scenes come and go too quickly.

Final thoughts: This was one of the most anticipated movies of the last couple decades and though it made a nice chunk of money a lot of people were letdown. It's certainly not up to the standards to either of the franchises it's spinning off from, but overall it's pretty good for what it is. So was Anderson the wrong person for this? In terms of directing I'd say he does a fine job there, but again he really should have let someone else tackle the script. Maybe then we would have gotten the AVP film we've been waiting for. Oh well, it could have been much worse.

My rating: 3.5/5