IMDb > AVP: Alien vs. Predator (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
AVP: Alien vs. Predator

AVP: Alien vs. Predator More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 129: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

animals vs dickheads with braids

Author: pookey56 from Canada
3 October 2005

i know it's a little late to be commenting on this film but i am compelled to say that this is the most morally depraved, reprehensible film i have seen in a long time. i have no issues with the production values or fx, but this film suggests that we should be siding with a PREDATOR that enslaves other species, sets themselves up as gods, requires sacrifice, and "hunts" with honour. this film makes Jason and Freddie seem like regular folks. at least with them there is no pretense of honourable conduct. i pity the actors in this film, some of whom are classically trained and have done some good works in the past. children and people with the minds of children are going to be watching this film, readily available for rent and purchase anywhere. so it's OK to enslave other species for our entertainment, expect sacrifices, set yourself up as gods, and kill as a rite of passage or sport or culture. i didn't notice any predator eating their prey but they did take trophies. i sided with the ALIENS in this pathetic film. as dangerous as they were, they were victims. their queen was chained up and frozen. they were expatriated against their will. it reminds me of what some people do around here, shooting, albeit less dangerous animals inside enclosures where they have almost no hope of escaping. anybody who watched and enjoyed this film certainly aren't people i want to befriend. i voted this film as the worst of 2004 at the razzies. it didn't win, but it certainly did with me. this film should have an 18+ rating. Klingons have honour. these predators are like the worst of mankind. the only thing superior about these creatures was their technology. shame on the director, shame on the writers, and shame on the producers of this pathetic excuse for a movie, clearly showing that technological development doesn't necessarily coincide with any moral development. an offensive piece of garbage all around.

Combining two classic movie monsters into one dynamic showdown!

Author: kclipper from United States
3 July 2015

25 years ago Ridley Scott scared us with his terror in space original "Alien" in which technically adept director, James Cameron elaborated on successfully in "Aliens". Then came the concept of an advanced race of aliens that hunt for sport using state-of-the-art technology in the box office smash, "Predator". The 1991 sequel, "Predator 2" featured an in-joke at the film's climax where Ridley Scott's "Alien" skull is observed as being a trophy inside the "Predator's" spaceship, and that idea launched the 1993 Super Nintendo video game, the Stephen Perry book and not to mention various graphic novels that pitted the two species against each-other in a mega-war between the races.

Now its 2004, and director, Paul W.S. Anderson (producer of Resident Evil) finally decides to bring the idea to the big screen in a slam-bang action showdown. Beautiful survivalist, Sanaa Lathan is recruited along with a group of scientists by Weyland Industries' Charles "Bishop" Weyland (Lance Henrickson) to journey to Antarctica where a satellite observed the ancient ruins of a pyramid under the ice that dates back before the Egyptians. It turns out the the "Predator" race designed the structure in order to breed the parasitic "Alien" creatures in order to hunt for sport, and human beings were the unfortunate hosts. Now as the body count piles up, resourceful female hero must combine wits with the hunters in order to defeat the enemy. Sound familiar? This is hardly new terrain, but the action is exciting enough, the special FX top notch, and fans of "Alien/Predator" films will appreciate the effort. Lance Henrickson is the perfect candidate for Weyland, and Lathan shines through as the tough but gorgeous female lead. This has plenty of thrills, homages to the original films and the combination of the treacherous Arctic landscape and Egyptian archetypal symbolism is very unique. The unrated version is the way to go of course, and provides a bit more action, but either way this is good stuff for fans of these films. Behold, the sequel, AVP: Requiem comes next!!

Not great, but cops much more flak than it deserves

Author: Gimly Monocle (firstruleofmethclub) from Australia
15 April 2015

I can honestly say, that this is one of the most under-rated films of 2004.

Not because it was good, just because it was panned so damn hard by critics! I think this is mostly due to the fact that it was being compared to both the Alien and Predator series, which is fair enough, but it was never going to be what either of those films was.

Ultimately it's downfall came from some poor dialogue, and trying to reach a larger audience. Where Predators was a film that you didn't need to have watched all the others in order to follow, it was still fundamentally a Predator film, aimed at the Predator-loving market. AVP on the other hand used references to the older films, but then completely threw the canon out the window and went for a larger fanbase. And whilst it worked to some degree (my grandma liked it) it wasn't enough of a step in either direction. AVP was complicated as a stand alone, and disastrous when compared to anything else in the franchise except perhaps its sequel Requiem (and maybe Predator 2 or Alien3).

Honestly I think the film works as an archetypal film in the realm of both Alien and Predator, just not a sequel or prequel to either. The lead protagonist is a woman by the name of Alexa Woods, portrayed by Sanaa Lathan was clearly meant to be a modern day Ripley, and catastrophically failed at doing so. The Predators were as cool as ever, and people complained that in the latter half of the film they weren't as ghostly as in Predator/Predator 2, but we've already had two whole films of that, and these were juvenile Predators, so it sort of made sense that they were a tad more restless.

Bringing Lance Henriksen back was an awesome decision, one that was probably lost on the audience who had not seen the Alien series.

Tommy Flanagan is another an actor I love, it was a shame his character (Mark Verheiden) was so underused. Ultimately, the film is a good one to pick up and put down, don't think about it too much, don't compare it to the others, go in with your only expectation being that it's a monster-movie, then you won't come out too disappointed.

59%

-Gimly

Don't understand all the hate, this was awesome!!

Author: Davis P from United States
10 April 2015

Just finished watch AVP for the first time today, and I thought it was very entertaining. I loved the special effects, the storyline, the characters, and the way it ended! I really don't get all the poor reception this film received. This is just pure fun and a very entertaining action/horror film! The movie made you care about what happened to the characters, and made the leads very likable. It gave the aliens and the predators a backstory about where they came from, and how everything all started, which I really liked. I think the actors did a pretty good job of portraying their individual characters. The action was non stop and very intense, lots of slime and gore, and weapons being thrown left and right. You really couldn't ask for more from this exciting film. 8/10

Rubbish

Author: pesic-1 from Norway
19 March 2015

Yes, this is complete and utter rubbish. I only give it two stars because it could have been even worse.

Why is everything so dark in this film? I can't see anything. And why are these characters so dull and stupid? And why does it feel like some ride in an amusement park, and not a film? They literally tell you: here are some stupid characters, now we unleash the monsters so you can watch them fight. Beyond that there is no story or point to the film. It's an excuse to shove aliens on the screen. But as I said, why did they make everything so dark that you can hardly see them? Personally I found the exposition laughable. Why even bother with it? And why is it so ridiculous? On the flip side, I managed to watch this until the end, unlike the sequel. I guess that's what the two stars are for.

It is not as bad as people say it is!

Author: casperenkelaar from Netherlands
7 October 2012

Alien vs Predator. I think the movie itself wasn't as bad as some people say it was. The arguments of scientific flaws are not reasons to hate a movie. You like or dislike the movie because of a plot and a good set. You have to belief that the set is not a set and that it is really there and you have to belief that what is happening could maybe happen in the real world. Most people disliked the movie because they say it wasn't as good as the alien-franchise. Personnaly I think the movie was great, the actors acted very good and the creatures looked realistic. The pyramid is a nice add for both creatures. The aliens where in almost every movie in a human designed environment with a lot of machines and metal. The pyramid is completely new and extremely well made. It looks realistic and not unbelievable. The plot that the predators capture and freeze an alien queen to make the ultimate prey is in my opinion a very good plot. It is a very wide thought and fits in the idea of the predators wanting to be the ultimate hunters. The thing that gets me the most is that the aliens are in fact smarter then the predators know. They where able to free the queen and escape. Some people think that if Ripley says that if the aliens would get to earth they would destroy the human race, why haven't they done it already because they are on earth for thousands of years. The fact is that if the 3 predators fail to kill and stop the aliens the elder predators would stop them, this can be concluded by the fact that when the predator and Alexa kill the queen, an entire space ship is watching them. They wanted to test the predator but they had everything under control! I am not speaking of alien vs predator 2 because nothing good is to say about that. I think that the bad reviews are based on fans of the alien-franchise that don't want an other perspective to their favorite movie( I am a big fan of the franchise so don't get me wrong). Of course some things are not as good as they could have been, the movie had not so much budget as they wanted to have, they had to somethings let things away simply because they couldn't afford it. The flaws about things that aren't correct aren't as bad as some people make them. This might come as a shock to you but even the alien and predator movies had these flaws, the difference is that you liked that movie because it was something new so you didn't mind. I think the movie is not getting all the credit it is worth. The movie was overall very beautiful to watch so I definitely suggest you watch it even when some people say it ruins the whole alien and predator franchise, don't listen to them, watch it and make up your own mind!

when does it stop?

Author: hansbearnl from Netherlands
9 September 2004

I have watched the Alien movies (they were not my favorites) but never Predator. And I only watched because it was 50% discount and I didn't want to see Tom Cruise (...). But I don't know what to think. It wasn't bad, it wasn't good, I just felt dizzy. And I wondered....when does it stop! The movie? No, but when do American directors stop using actors with funny accents (italian and Scottish in this case) and when do they stop ending the movie with the usual 'return of the villain'. I know, they would LOVE to make Alien Vs. Predator II and III, but it is such a bore to end a movie with a spoiler for a 'possible' follow-up.

A battle of CGIs

Author: ducttapedkid from Cleveland Ohio
8 September 2004

Well, technically you can't call this movie, much of a movie. All it is is just eye candy and franchise wars. Much like Freddy vs. Jason the one that backed the most bucks and bigger film career gets the "win" and at the end twists around leaving room for a sequel. The whole movie was pretty decent, the story was interesting, but the way the whole movie went through was some what gamey.

I give this movie a 7/10 because believe me, we ALL wanted to see these guys battle, and let's face it, there wasn't one visual piece of this movie that was un-attractive. Eitherway, watching it on the Big Screen will most likely beat watching it at home, so go see it now!

yet another good movie

Author: REIGN-OF-CHAOS
6 September 2004

yes this is another action movie cross over, fortunately better than the horror of watching freddy vs jason. true it is no longer a horror movie but with alien an predator horror really is a thing of the past, times have changed an yet the ratings for the old movies didn't. so the makers cut there horror roots an switched to action. a wise choice as horror really isn't scary any more (serious name a good horror movie from the last few years an ill remove that). the new action side to the movie is impressive but not the greatest. both the aliens and predators are visually impressive and the weaponry has kept true to the game from which it was based on. an there is the odd subtle hint that connects it to the previous movies for instance the old guy (as you can see i know all the names) that setting this whole thing up, starts to mess around with his pen(stabbin it between his fingers, only for a brief moment), in the alien movies (i forget which one) a cyborg does the same thing, i know it sounds stupid but possibly the same person. maybe, i dono. anyway overall its a good movie id go see it any day i give it an 8/10.

Terrible, just TERRIBLE!

Author: amcurtis77 from Los Angeles
22 August 2004

Spoiler warning Ugh. This movie was sooo bad, I don't know where to begin.

The initial idea was great - we have been anticipating this movie since we saw the first poster over a year ago - bring back these to Sci-Fi Heavyweights for an all-out battle. Sounds good to me having grown up watching both of these movies, but the whole movie just fell short.

In order to have made this movie really good they should have just offed all the humans in the first 20 minutes and just let the Aliens and Predators have it out the rest of the time. That being said, it was completely silly that the last remaining Predator and the human chick 'teamed up' to fight side-by-side. The whole audience was laughing at the cheesy scenes of the two of them running together as a team. He makes her a shield and spear? Give me a friggin' break! "Sorry about killing all your colleagues and stringing up their dead bodies up on the surface - but I REALLY AM a nice guy so here's a spear and shield made from an Alien head......" I was actually waiting for them to hold hands as they narrowly escaped the explosion by sliding back up the 2,000 foot ice hole!

Then the Predator gives her 'props' by burning her pretty little warrior chick face? Ugh.

Remember the original Alien movie? When Kane gets the first ever Alien attached to his face it takes HOURS if not DAYS for that Alien to lay the egg in his throat and then fall off and die. They even try to perform surgery and thus find out about the acid blood. Then, once it fall off, again HOURS PASS before that sucker gestates and jumps out of his chest. In this movie apparently we don't have time for that so all is forgotten (who cares about continuity?) and it takes less than 5 minutes from face-attachment to chest expulsion.

The fight scenes were lacking, the plot was silly, the acting was terrible and the one-liners were just sad. If you want a good, PATHETIC laugh - then go see this movie. Otherwise, save your money and go rent the original Alien and Predator movies at Blockbuster.