IMDb > AVP: Alien vs. Predator (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
AVP: Alien vs. Predator

AVP: Alien vs. Predator More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 129: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Shame on the producers for wanting to please Hillary Duff fans

Author: duce122 from United States
20 August 2004

Alien Vs. Predator (2004) C-101 min. D: Paul W.S. Anderson. Sanaa Lathan, Raoul Bova, Lance Henriksen, Ewen Bremner, Colin Salmon, Tommy Flanagan, Joseph Rye. Apparently, Sigourney Weaver was told of the idea of making this film and she said it `sounded awful.' Boy, was she ever right! One of the worst films of 2004 is so sloppily written and acted that it is a wonder I remained in the theater. The `plot' concerns some kind of archeological dig in Antarctica and step right into the middle of a war between the Aliens & Predators, blah blah blah blah. The studios' controversial decision to release this as PG-13 as opposed to R (since all of the other films from both series were rated R) translates into hardly any gore, lousy editing, and virtually incoherent fight sequences. Shame on the producers for wanting to please Hillary Duff fans as opposed to the real fans of both series, who were seriously robbed of a good film (unlike last year's far superior FREDDY VS. JASON). Awful! RATING: 1 out of 10. Rated PG-13 for violence, profanity, grisly images.

AVP fans avert your eyes

Author: sharpefamily-1 from United Kingdom
17 May 2006

Paul WS Anderson has made a major achievement. He has made a film worse than "Alien Resurrection". AVP is a film for which I can think of a few people want Anderson shot for creating this rubbish. He tries to create tension by building up slowly but unlike Aliens where this worked , it just bores me stiff. He makes two massive mistakes with the film. Firstly the gore is gone in Great Britain this is the first "Alien" or "Predator" film not to be an 18, this shows as there is nothing worth even flinching at in the film.The second is that the film tampers with alien biology it actualty hurts. The only two major changes in almost twenty years were the addition of ridges on their heads in "Aliens" and the eggs being able to squirm in "Alien Ressurrection" Every other Aliens has the time between Alien embryo going in and chestburster coming out to be a day or so. Anderson turns this into mere minutes a shocking drop that makes me annoyed as a fan of the francise. I don't encourage illegal free downloads but that is the only way the purchace of this movie is a good price,a pathetic director at his most pathetic.

animals vs dickheads with braids

Author: pookey56 from Canada
3 October 2005

i know it's a little late to be commenting on this film but i am compelled to say that this is the most morally depraved, reprehensible film i have seen in a long time. i have no issues with the production values or fx, but this film suggests that we should be siding with a PREDATOR that enslaves other species, sets themselves up as gods, requires sacrifice, and "hunts" with honour. this film makes Jason and Freddie seem like regular folks. at least with them there is no pretense of honourable conduct. i pity the actors in this film, some of whom are classically trained and have done some good works in the past. children and people with the minds of children are going to be watching this film, readily available for rent and purchase anywhere. so it's OK to enslave other species for our entertainment, expect sacrifices, set yourself up as gods, and kill as a rite of passage or sport or culture. i didn't notice any predator eating their prey but they did take trophies. i sided with the ALIENS in this pathetic film. as dangerous as they were, they were victims. their queen was chained up and frozen. they were expatriated against their will. it reminds me of what some people do around here, shooting, albeit less dangerous animals inside enclosures where they have almost no hope of escaping. anybody who watched and enjoyed this film certainly aren't people i want to befriend. i voted this film as the worst of 2004 at the razzies. it didn't win, but it certainly did with me. this film should have an 18+ rating. Klingons have honour. these predators are like the worst of mankind. the only thing superior about these creatures was their technology. shame on the director, shame on the writers, and shame on the producers of this pathetic excuse for a movie, clearly showing that technological development doesn't necessarily coincide with any moral development. an offensive piece of garbage all around.

Solid Underrated Action Movie

Author: ArchAngel Michael from Quis Ut Deus?
6 May 2016

Spoilers Ahead:

Let's get the problems with the movie out of the way. First, the acting is average to bad, Lathaan was adequate with Henrikson anchoring the cast. Second, the laws of the Aliens are violated throughout the movie. If you are an Alien purist, the gestation period goes from minutes, in the sacrificial chamber, to ages with the head Predator at the end of the movie. Also, people with face-huggers are conscious where the guy reaches for the other guys' gun, a clear deviation from Ridley's original. This is an action movie so I turn off my philosophy for you and just review on one axis: Was it exciting or boring? The movie is like a mystery for the first half hour with the under the ice pyramid, the exploration, then it changes into a pure action movie. I was not bored for one minute of this movie. Also, unlike Requiem, it is lighted well so we are not yelling obscenities at the screen like in that tragic movie. Lathaan is not portrayed as superwoman, she almost buys it several times, is openly scared half to death and saved by the Predator often. Contrast this depiction to Daisy Ridley in the awful new Star Wars. Actually, she is saved more by her intelligence that any feats of physical strength. Again, the Italian guy saves her besides the Predator; she isn't already a master Jedi, expert mechanic, speaks Wookie and knows Jedi Mind Tricks with zero training.

The effects are well done, the movie is a hybrid not only of the Alien / Predator movies but also the Cube movies. The pyramid reconfigures every ten minutes with the inevitable trapped people in small spaces. Henrikson is good here for he is the best actor by a mile; he often holds the bad acting supporting cast up. The movie is always in the dark in the outside shots at the very beginning; once inside the pyramid, there is plenty of creeping about in dark tunnels. The battles between the Predators and the Aliens are well done. The humans actually bollix everything all up causing the Predators to be at a severe disadvantage. Unexpected things happen all throughout the movie, really there are only three characters: Weyland, Alexa and the Italian dude. Everyone else is barely adumbrated but if you have watched Anderson's Resident Evil movies this is not going to surprise you. It never bothered me for this is action not drama; the mystery of the pyramid will hold your interest until the real action begins between the hunters and their deadly prey. The movie was attacked for its bad acting, the blatant violations of the rules of the Aliens' gestation periods and Lathaan as a weak lead.

No, she isn't going to win any acting awards but she was believably human and devoid of the twelve years later 'little red books' of if it is a woman protagonist: she must be invincible and omniscient. If you want to appreciate Anderson's movie more watch the dreadful following movie Requiem which has acting that makes this look like Casablanca. Also, it is shot in the dark but, evidently, they couldn't afford night lenses and you can't see S. I was throwing things at the television, this is shot well even in very dark scenes. The finale again shows the Predator doing the heavy lifting of the battle, with a little lucky geography, things work out well for Alexa. As a pure action movie, its length is perfect. It moves quickly, once the battles begin it rarely stops to catch its breath. Alien was a pure science fiction drama, this is an action movie. There is the expected drop off in the intelligence level of the script but: who cares? It is exciting and entertaining all I ever ask of an action movie. It never gets gross out like Requiem with that disgusting scene of the Alien going down that woman's throat, an alien bursting through a little boy's chest, or other nauseating moments from that piece of crap.

I own this movie for its action, pacing and writing. I always thought Lathaan was unfairly attacked; she acquits herself well in a demanding role. A Good Movie. Q.E.D.

Combining two classic movie monsters into one dynamic showdown!

Author: kclipper from United States
3 July 2015

25 years ago Ridley Scott scared us with his terror in space original "Alien" in which technically adept director, James Cameron elaborated on successfully in "Aliens". Then came the concept of an advanced race of aliens that hunt for sport using state-of-the-art technology in the box office smash, "Predator". The 1991 sequel, "Predator 2" featured an in-joke at the film's climax where Ridley Scott's "Alien" skull is observed as being a trophy inside the "Predator's" spaceship, and that idea launched the 1993 Super Nintendo video game, the Stephen Perry book and not to mention various graphic novels that pitted the two species against each-other in a mega-war between the races.

Now its 2004, and director, Paul W.S. Anderson (producer of Resident Evil) finally decides to bring the idea to the big screen in a slam-bang action showdown. Beautiful survivalist, Sanaa Lathan is recruited along with a group of scientists by Weyland Industries' Charles "Bishop" Weyland (Lance Henrickson) to journey to Antarctica where a satellite observed the ancient ruins of a pyramid under the ice that dates back before the Egyptians. It turns out the the "Predator" race designed the structure in order to breed the parasitic "Alien" creatures in order to hunt for sport, and human beings were the unfortunate hosts. Now as the body count piles up, resourceful female hero must combine wits with the hunters in order to defeat the enemy. Sound familiar? This is hardly new terrain, but the action is exciting enough, the special FX top notch, and fans of "Alien/Predator" films will appreciate the effort. Lance Henrickson is the perfect candidate for Weyland, and Lathan shines through as the tough but gorgeous female lead. This has plenty of thrills, homages to the original films and the combination of the treacherous Arctic landscape and Egyptian archetypal symbolism is very unique. The unrated version is the way to go of course, and provides a bit more action, but either way this is good stuff for fans of these films. Behold, the sequel, AVP: Requiem comes next!!

Not great, but cops much more flak than it deserves

Author: Gimly Monocle (firstruleofmethclub) from Australia
15 April 2015

I can honestly say, that this is one of the most under-rated films of 2004.

Not because it was good, just because it was panned so damn hard by critics! I think this is mostly due to the fact that it was being compared to both the Alien and Predator series, which is fair enough, but it was never going to be what either of those films was.

Ultimately it's downfall came from some poor dialogue, and trying to reach a larger audience. Where Predators was a film that you didn't need to have watched all the others in order to follow, it was still fundamentally a Predator film, aimed at the Predator-loving market. AVP on the other hand used references to the older films, but then completely threw the canon out the window and went for a larger fanbase. And whilst it worked to some degree (my grandma liked it) it wasn't enough of a step in either direction. AVP was complicated as a stand alone, and disastrous when compared to anything else in the franchise except perhaps its sequel Requiem (and maybe Predator 2 or Alien3).

Honestly I think the film works as an archetypal film in the realm of both Alien and Predator, just not a sequel or prequel to either. The lead protagonist is a woman by the name of Alexa Woods, portrayed by Sanaa Lathan was clearly meant to be a modern day Ripley, and catastrophically failed at doing so. The Predators were as cool as ever, and people complained that in the latter half of the film they weren't as ghostly as in Predator/Predator 2, but we've already had two whole films of that, and these were juvenile Predators, so it sort of made sense that they were a tad more restless.

Bringing Lance Henriksen back was an awesome decision, one that was probably lost on the audience who had not seen the Alien series.

Tommy Flanagan is another an actor I love, it was a shame his character (Mark Verheiden) was so underused. Ultimately, the film is a good one to pick up and put down, don't think about it too much, don't compare it to the others, go in with your only expectation being that it's a monster-movie, then you won't come out too disappointed.

59%

-Gimly

Don't understand all the hate, this was awesome!!

Author: Davis P from United States
10 April 2015

Just finished watch AVP for the first time today, and I thought it was very entertaining. I loved the special effects, the storyline, the characters, and the way it ended! I really don't get all the poor reception this film received. This is just pure fun and a very entertaining action/horror film! The movie made you care about what happened to the characters, and made the leads very likable. It gave the aliens and the predators a backstory about where they came from, and how everything all started, which I really liked. I think the actors did a pretty good job of portraying their individual characters. The action was non stop and very intense, lots of slime and gore, and weapons being thrown left and right. You really couldn't ask for more from this exciting film. 8/10

Rubbish

Author: pesic-1 from Norway
19 March 2015

Yes, this is complete and utter rubbish. I only give it two stars because it could have been even worse. I mean, why is everything so dark? I can't see anything. And why are these characters so dull and stupid? And why does it feel like some ride in an amusement park, and not a film? They literally tell you: here are some stupid characters, now we unleash the monsters so you can watch them fight. Beyond that there is no story or point to the film. It's an excuse to shove aliens on the screen. But as I said, why did they make everything so dark that you can hardly see them? Personally I found the exposition laughable. Why even bother with it? And why is it so ridiculous? On the flip side, I managed to watch this until the end, unlike the sequel. I guess that's what the two stars are for.

It is not as bad as people say it is!

Author: casperenkelaar from Netherlands
7 October 2012

Alien vs Predator. I think the movie itself wasn't as bad as some people say it was. The arguments of scientific flaws are not reasons to hate a movie. You like or dislike the movie because of a plot and a good set. You have to belief that the set is not a set and that it is really there and you have to belief that what is happening could maybe happen in the real world. Most people disliked the movie because they say it wasn't as good as the alien-franchise. Personnaly I think the movie was great, the actors acted very good and the creatures looked realistic. The pyramid is a nice add for both creatures. The aliens where in almost every movie in a human designed environment with a lot of machines and metal. The pyramid is completely new and extremely well made. It looks realistic and not unbelievable. The plot that the predators capture and freeze an alien queen to make the ultimate prey is in my opinion a very good plot. It is a very wide thought and fits in the idea of the predators wanting to be the ultimate hunters. The thing that gets me the most is that the aliens are in fact smarter then the predators know. They where able to free the queen and escape. Some people think that if Ripley says that if the aliens would get to earth they would destroy the human race, why haven't they done it already because they are on earth for thousands of years. The fact is that if the 3 predators fail to kill and stop the aliens the elder predators would stop them, this can be concluded by the fact that when the predator and Alexa kill the queen, an entire space ship is watching them. They wanted to test the predator but they had everything under control! I am not speaking of alien vs predator 2 because nothing good is to say about that. I think that the bad reviews are based on fans of the alien-franchise that don't want an other perspective to their favorite movie( I am a big fan of the franchise so don't get me wrong). Of course some things are not as good as they could have been, the movie had not so much budget as they wanted to have, they had to somethings let things away simply because they couldn't afford it. The flaws about things that aren't correct aren't as bad as some people make them. This might come as a shock to you but even the alien and predator movies had these flaws, the difference is that you liked that movie because it was something new so you didn't mind. I think the movie is not getting all the credit it is worth. The movie was overall very beautiful to watch so I definitely suggest you watch it even when some people say it ruins the whole alien and predator franchise, don't listen to them, watch it and make up your own mind!

when does it stop?

Author: hansbearnl from Netherlands
9 September 2004

I have watched the Alien movies (they were not my favorites) but never Predator. And I only watched because it was 50% discount and I didn't want to see Tom Cruise (...). But I don't know what to think. It wasn't bad, it wasn't good, I just felt dizzy. And I wondered....when does it stop! The movie? No, but when do American directors stop using actors with funny accents (italian and Scottish in this case) and when do they stop ending the movie with the usual 'return of the villain'. I know, they would LOVE to make Alien Vs. Predator II and III, but it is such a bore to end a movie with a spoiler for a 'possible' follow-up.