IMDb > AVP: Alien vs. Predator (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
AVP: Alien vs. Predator

AVP: Alien vs. Predator More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 129: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

A GREAT NEW SAGA! "200 YEARS BEFORE ALIEN I"

Author: themantn@bellsouth.net from Nashville, TN
14 August 2004

I just came back from viewing AVP and I have to say, being an Alien and Predator connoisseur, this was what "Resurrection" SHOULD have been. Hopefully Alien 5 will bring this kind of quality to the screen. As for AVP, it was excellent! The story, characters, and special effects were all "refreshing." The fact that the story takes place several hundred years before the first Alien brings new light to the storyline and promises new surprises! Weyland Bishop was great but I wish he had not died and stayed with the "Company" a little longer, but hopefully he will return as an Android in AVP 2!!! The power and strength of both the Alien and Predator were greatly accentuated in this film and give new meaning to the species.

Please do not underrate this film, the storyline is strong and has great potential. If you have not seen any Alien or Predator films, please watch them first before going to see AVP. Congrats to all and thanks for coming back Bishop! ---0000---TheMan..----..signing off....

pwnage (in other words, go see it)

Author: (samusvspredator@yahoo.com) from California
14 August 2004

First off, let me say that I loved this movie. But let me tell you that I have been waiting 8 years for it to come out, so I might be a little blinded by the fact that I finally saw and Alien and a Predator fight on screen in live action. The plot even slightly resembles the AVP comic that came out in the 1990s (for those few of you who actually read it). All in all, I really enjoyed this movie. It does have its problems, but if you are a fan of the series you should at least get a little bit of joy out of it (it may not be as good as the original Alien or Predator, but it DEFINITELY beats Alien Resurrection). Plus, the more people that see AVP and the more money it makes, the more Fox is ACTUALLY going to consider making a Predator 3, Alien V, and/or AVP2. w00t.

It was OK

Author: tigerlvr96 from V, California
14 August 2004

This movie was simply OK. Maybe not the right director for the job. The movie had its moments but it could've had a lot more.

It isn't Alien, Aliens, Predator, or Predator 2. But the movie is better then crap like Aliens 3 and Alien Resurrection two movies that destroyed a franchise, and two movies I don't even care to own in my library.

This movie did move too fast for an hour and 40 minutes, I could have seen it at 2 an a half hours, being a better story, a longer time frame for things to occur, and more intense fighting with more Aliens and Predators.

The Aliens were near flawless.

The Predators didn't use their cloaking enough, in a situation where they need to prove their worth. They know the Alien species is a far more superior species.

Yet the hunter in Predator used it all the time against Arnold and his rescue team.

I know I waited a long time for this movie but I could have waited a little bit longer for it to be thought out a little more.

The good news is that it wasn't so horrible that someone else can't pick it up and make it a huge blockbuster sequel with a big time director and a big time actor.

As far as the timeline is concerned it is accurate as can be. The Weyland-Yutani company would still know about the Alien species through Alexa with her story, the Alien tail spear, the Predator spear, and come on you think they won't try to go after the Queen alien in the ice.

Let's see a sequel on the Aliens home planet, or Predators home planet or some other worldly planet set just before Alien to describe the crashing of the ship. We all know that wasn't an Alien ship because that's not an Alien flying it. This is Ridley Scott's creature feature Alien prequel now throw in a human crash landing freighter with Hugh Jackman and you got a movie.

Disgustingly disappointing

Author: Ruatha from United Kingdom
19 May 2005

Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. First of all two directors is 1 too many and it shows. both the Aliens and Predator films have a decidedly dark feel to them, smash the two together and you get something akin to dark chocolate mixed with ovaltine - sickening.

There is no plot here - you'll know whats going to happen in the first half hour of the film, which basically exists to set the scene for some pointless and predictable battle scenes, which are anything but dramatic. there is 1 "relationship" twist in the story which is nice, but other than that....uck.

Given the past "installments" fans were expecting something much grander, much more cinematic as opposed to something set in a dingey corner of the earth. I'd rather they had'nt done this at all, now its like that elevator music that I can't get out of my head.

Shame on the producers for wanting to please Hillary Duff fans

Author: duce122 from United States
20 August 2004

Alien Vs. Predator (2004) C-101 min. D: Paul W.S. Anderson. Sanaa Lathan, Raoul Bova, Lance Henriksen, Ewen Bremner, Colin Salmon, Tommy Flanagan, Joseph Rye. Apparently, Sigourney Weaver was told of the idea of making this film and she said it `sounded awful.' Boy, was she ever right! One of the worst films of 2004 is so sloppily written and acted that it is a wonder I remained in the theater. The `plot' concerns some kind of archeological dig in Antarctica and step right into the middle of a war between the Aliens & Predators, blah blah blah blah. The studios' controversial decision to release this as PG-13 as opposed to R (since all of the other films from both series were rated R) translates into hardly any gore, lousy editing, and virtually incoherent fight sequences. Shame on the producers for wanting to please Hillary Duff fans as opposed to the real fans of both series, who were seriously robbed of a good film (unlike last year's far superior FREDDY VS. JASON). Awful! RATING: 1 out of 10. Rated PG-13 for violence, profanity, grisly images.

AVP fans avert your eyes

Author: sharpefamily-1 from United Kingdom
17 May 2006

Paul WS Anderson has made a major achievement. He has made a film worse than "Alien Resurrection". AVP is a film for which I can think of a few people want Anderson shot for creating this rubbish. He tries to create tension by building up slowly but unlike Aliens where this worked , it just bores me stiff. He makes two massive mistakes with the film. Firstly the gore is gone in Great Britain this is the first "Alien" or "Predator" film not to be an 18, this shows as there is nothing worth even flinching at in the film.The second is that the film tampers with alien biology it actualty hurts. The only two major changes in almost twenty years were the addition of ridges on their heads in "Aliens" and the eggs being able to squirm in "Alien Ressurrection" Every other Aliens has the time between Alien embryo going in and chestburster coming out to be a day or so. Anderson turns this into mere minutes a shocking drop that makes me annoyed as a fan of the francise. I don't encourage illegal free downloads but that is the only way the purchace of this movie is a good price,a pathetic director at his most pathetic.

animals vs dickheads with braids

Author: pookey56 from Canada
3 October 2005

i know it's a little late to be commenting on this film but i am compelled to say that this is the most morally depraved, reprehensible film i have seen in a long time. i have no issues with the production values or fx, but this film suggests that we should be siding with a PREDATOR that enslaves other species, sets themselves up as gods, requires sacrifice, and "hunts" with honour. this film makes Jason and Freddie seem like regular folks. at least with them there is no pretense of honourable conduct. i pity the actors in this film, some of whom are classically trained and have done some good works in the past. children and people with the minds of children are going to be watching this film, readily available for rent and purchase anywhere. so it's OK to enslave other species for our entertainment, expect sacrifices, set yourself up as gods, and kill as a rite of passage or sport or culture. i didn't notice any predator eating their prey but they did take trophies. i sided with the ALIENS in this pathetic film. as dangerous as they were, they were victims. their queen was chained up and frozen. they were expatriated against their will. it reminds me of what some people do around here, shooting, albeit less dangerous animals inside enclosures where they have almost no hope of escaping. anybody who watched and enjoyed this film certainly aren't people i want to befriend. i voted this film as the worst of 2004 at the razzies. it didn't win, but it certainly did with me. this film should have an 18+ rating. Klingons have honour. these predators are like the worst of mankind. the only thing superior about these creatures was their technology. shame on the director, shame on the writers, and shame on the producers of this pathetic excuse for a movie, clearly showing that technological development doesn't necessarily coincide with any moral development. an offensive piece of garbage all around.

Possibly.....the worst movie of 2004????

Author: gothicgoblin1334 from Paris, France
22 May 2006

What an awful film, I saw this cheap low budget pile of Markytson crap in a sleazy hotel that just happened to have room service. At first I thought I was insane and then I saw that this was an actual move. Holy crap! I mean, crapping in your pants and then eating dish-water and throw up is better than this movie, it seriously gives Alien and Predator bad names. Oh, and who wins??? Let us see... (the following has been voted by the stink-bag country America, thank god I'm in France!!) HERE WE GO!

Predator: Gay-fighting, Jamican guy with dreadlocks and a silver mask, the shirt he is wearing shows his nipples and he has claws that slash people to DEATH. Sorry, but Arnold was too busy misguiding California to help with this movie. Lance Henrikson, an acting legend, co-stars opposite in this film and guess what? He gets his throat slit. >_< Damn, I hate it when they do that. Trivia: Lance was in Aliens (an actual GOOD movie by James Cameron) and Alien 3 (a bit of a fail, though) He eventually wins because it turns out he was a "good" guy helping (WTF?!) the humans?...(Then an alien bursts out of his chest and he DIES)

Alien: One of my favourite movies is ALIEN, and ALIENS and ALIEN 3, I like Pieere's ALIEN 4 but it was not as good as the first three films. They made the aliens here pretty bad-ass, more bad-ass then normal. It really sucked to see the Predator win because I was rooting for the Aliens. The Alien-queen is blown up, even though she's already been blown up FOUR F-CKING TIMES!!!! Well, the aliens do some nice killings but the gore is way cheesy.

Overall: A HORRIBLE movie, bad bad bad. The tagline should have been: WHOEVER WINS, FOX GETS RICHER

Not great, but cops much more flak than it deserves

Author: Gimly Monocle (firstruleofmethclub) from Australia
15 April 2015

I can honestly say, that this is one of the most under-rated films of 2004.

Not because it was good, just because it was panned so damn hard by critics! I think this is mostly due to the fact that it was being compared to both the Alien and Predator series, which is fair enough, but it was never going to be what either of those films was.

Ultimately it's downfall came from some poor dialogue, and trying to reach a larger audience. Where Predators was a film that you didn't need to have watched all the others in order to follow, it was still fundamentally a Predator film, aimed at the Predator-loving market. AVP on the other hand used references to the older films, but then completely threw the canon out the window and went for a larger fanbase. And whilst it worked to some degree (my grandma liked it) it wasn't enough of a step in either direction. AVP was complicated as a stand alone, and disastrous when compared to anything else in the franchise except perhaps its sequel Requiem (and maybe Predator 2 or Alien3).

Honestly I think the film works as an archetypal film in the realm of both Alien and Predator, just not a sequel or prequel to either. The lead protagonist is a woman by the name of Alexa Woods, portrayed by Sanaa Lathan was clearly meant to be a modern day Ripley, and catastrophically failed at doing so. The Predators were as cool as ever, and people complained that in the latter half of the film they weren't as ghostly as in Predator/Predator 2, but we've already had two whole films of that, and these were juvenile Predators, so it sort of made sense that they were a tad more restless.

Bringing Lance Henriksen back was an awesome decision, one that was probably lost on the audience who had not seen the Alien series.

Tommy Flanagan is another an actor I love, it was a shame his character (Mark Verheiden) was so underused. Ultimately, the film is a good one to pick up and put down, don't think about it too much, don't compare it to the others, go in with your only expectation being that it's a monster-movie, then you won't come out too disappointed.

59%

-Gimly

Don't understand all the hate, this was awesome!!

Author: Davis P from United States
10 April 2015

Just finished watch AVP for the first time today, and I thought it was very entertaining. I loved the special effects, the storyline, the characters, and the way it ended! I really don't get all the poor reception this film received. This is just pure fun and a very entertaining action/horror film! The movie made you care about what happened to the characters, and made the leads very likable. It gave the aliens and the predators a backstory about where they came from, and how everything all started, which I really liked. I think the actors did a pretty good job of portraying their individual characters. The action was non stop and very intense, lots of slime and gore, and weapons being thrown left and right. You really couldn't ask for more from this exciting film. 8/10