IMDb > AVP: Alien vs. Predator (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
AVP: Alien vs. Predator

AVP: Alien vs. Predator More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 130: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

A GREAT NEW SAGA! "200 YEARS BEFORE ALIEN I"

Author: themantn@bellsouth.net from Nashville, TN
14 August 2004

I just came back from viewing AVP and I have to say, being an Alien and Predator connoisseur, this was what "Resurrection" SHOULD have been. Hopefully Alien 5 will bring this kind of quality to the screen. As for AVP, it was excellent! The story, characters, and special effects were all "refreshing." The fact that the story takes place several hundred years before the first Alien brings new light to the storyline and promises new surprises! Weyland Bishop was great but I wish he had not died and stayed with the "Company" a little longer, but hopefully he will return as an Android in AVP 2!!! The power and strength of both the Alien and Predator were greatly accentuated in this film and give new meaning to the species.

Please do not underrate this film, the storyline is strong and has great potential. If you have not seen any Alien or Predator films, please watch them first before going to see AVP. Congrats to all and thanks for coming back Bishop! ---0000---TheMan..----..signing off....

pwnage (in other words, go see it)

Author: (samusvspredator@yahoo.com) from California
14 August 2004

First off, let me say that I loved this movie. But let me tell you that I have been waiting 8 years for it to come out, so I might be a little blinded by the fact that I finally saw and Alien and a Predator fight on screen in live action. The plot even slightly resembles the AVP comic that came out in the 1990s (for those few of you who actually read it). All in all, I really enjoyed this movie. It does have its problems, but if you are a fan of the series you should at least get a little bit of joy out of it (it may not be as good as the original Alien or Predator, but it DEFINITELY beats Alien Resurrection). Plus, the more people that see AVP and the more money it makes, the more Fox is ACTUALLY going to consider making a Predator 3, Alien V, and/or AVP2. w00t.

It was OK

Author: tigerlvr96 from V, California
14 August 2004

This movie was simply OK. Maybe not the right director for the job. The movie had its moments but it could've had a lot more.

It isn't Alien, Aliens, Predator, or Predator 2. But the movie is better then crap like Aliens 3 and Alien Resurrection two movies that destroyed a franchise, and two movies I don't even care to own in my library.

This movie did move too fast for an hour and 40 minutes, I could have seen it at 2 an a half hours, being a better story, a longer time frame for things to occur, and more intense fighting with more Aliens and Predators.

The Aliens were near flawless.

The Predators didn't use their cloaking enough, in a situation where they need to prove their worth. They know the Alien species is a far more superior species.

Yet the hunter in Predator used it all the time against Arnold and his rescue team.

I know I waited a long time for this movie but I could have waited a little bit longer for it to be thought out a little more.

The good news is that it wasn't so horrible that someone else can't pick it up and make it a huge blockbuster sequel with a big time director and a big time actor.

As far as the timeline is concerned it is accurate as can be. The Weyland-Yutani company would still know about the Alien species through Alexa with her story, the Alien tail spear, the Predator spear, and come on you think they won't try to go after the Queen alien in the ice.

Let's see a sequel on the Aliens home planet, or Predators home planet or some other worldly planet set just before Alien to describe the crashing of the ship. We all know that wasn't an Alien ship because that's not an Alien flying it. This is Ridley Scott's creature feature Alien prequel now throw in a human crash landing freighter with Hugh Jackman and you got a movie.

What went wrong?

Author: lkgraves from United States
17 August 2005

I must preface my comments by first saying that on a purely visceral level, I did like Alien vs Predator. Alexa held her own very well. So well in fact that I would like to see her again. It was a real thrill seeing the predators and the aliens get it on. It was also cool to see humans totally out of their league on a battle field of dueling behemoths. True underdogs. For any of them to survive was a real triumph, yet I totally bought the rationale behind Alexa's survival.

Now for the criticisms: What went wrong? The predators have been going through this Right-of-passage training ritual for thousands of years. They built many labyrinthian pyramids, presumably getting better at it as time went on. So again, what went wrong? They are obviously aware of the current stage of human technological development because they lured us their with heat blooms to attract our satellites. Did they think we went there to ritually sacrifice our selves. If so, why did they kill everyone in the whaling station? Why was it so surprising that the team found their way to the predators canons? There were no obstacles. If we can build a satellite we just might be able to read hieroglyphs and figure out their sarcophagus calender lock which was based on our own planet's cycles. The predators boomerang charikons and their spears were made of metal impervious to the alien's acid blood (unlike their wrist bayonets that instantly melt on contact). Why wasn't the mother alien shackled with that stuff? And if the conveyor belt is designed to take her eggs to the sacrificial chamber, how did all of those other eggs get into the aliens incubation room. How was the pyramid designed to stop this? The poor design of the pyramid is inconsistent with the technological sophistication that built their ultra quiet ship with ultra refined controls. One last thing. The mother speared the predator through it's back and out of its chest with her tail and kills it. The tag scene has the predator/alien larvae burst out of the dead predator's chest. Why break out when the mother conveniently supplied a ready made birth canal? And more curiously, why was the alien larvae not killed when mom speared the host through the chest? And even more curiously, why did she kill the last predator. Alien 3 established that they do not kill impregnated hosts. Or was it because in Alien 3 the larvae was a mother alien? Which means that they will kill their young, but that is contrary to their previous behavior, except in Alien Resurrection (which I hated, so I will not go any further with that). Or should I just ignore this fact because very few people like Alien 3. Personally, I liked a lot about that one also.

Disgustingly disappointing

Author: Ruatha from United Kingdom
19 May 2005

Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. First of all two directors is 1 too many and it shows. both the Aliens and Predator films have a decidedly dark feel to them, smash the two together and you get something akin to dark chocolate mixed with ovaltine - sickening.

There is no plot here - you'll know whats going to happen in the first half hour of the film, which basically exists to set the scene for some pointless and predictable battle scenes, which are anything but dramatic. there is 1 "relationship" twist in the story which is nice, but other than that....uck.

Given the past "installments" fans were expecting something much grander, much more cinematic as opposed to something set in a dingey corner of the earth. I'd rather they had'nt done this at all, now its like that elevator music that I can't get out of my head.

This was worth watching.

Author: paul-winfield from UK
22 August 2004

I do not care what the critics have said. This film is worth watching. I have been waiting for this film all summer, and have to say it was worth it.

I just wish a bit more gore and violence could have been added like the original Alien and Predator movies. Lets hope that on DVD release, the visuals will be beefed up for us viewers that grew up with these 2 franchise. Go see it, that is all I can say. I have seen the reviews and this film has been completely slammed. Well, I enjoyed the directors previous work. Resident Evil, Soldier, Mortal Kombat and Event Horizon. He has some pedigree and even though these films did not meet the critics approval, they met with the approval of the public, and to be quite honest, that is all that counts. Go watch this film as it deserves a sequel. If you thought Freddy V Jason was worth it! You ain't seen nothing yet!

Aliens Predators- Excellent!!

Author: stw-5 from New Zealand
13 April 2005

For goodness sake, its just a bloody good entertaining yarn! Why do some people insist on being Leonard Maltin wannabes? Accept it for what it is; a good watchable movie. I have been a fan of the ALIEN PREDATOR franchise since day one, always accepting that these kinds of movies will provoke some kind of criticism about the plot, characters, storyline etc. Importantly, the directors of all these films have (for me), stayed true to the underlying theme of all these movies... That is, man is portrayed as insignificant and powerless until he (or she) must rise above sheer brute strength or technological might to overcome whatever challenges lay ahead....And ain't that what being human is all about??..

Shame on the producers for wanting to please Hillary Duff fans

Author: duce122 from United States
20 August 2004

Alien Vs. Predator (2004) C-101 min. D: Paul W.S. Anderson. Sanaa Lathan, Raoul Bova, Lance Henriksen, Ewen Bremner, Colin Salmon, Tommy Flanagan, Joseph Rye. Apparently, Sigourney Weaver was told of the idea of making this film and she said it `sounded awful.' Boy, was she ever right! One of the worst films of 2004 is so sloppily written and acted that it is a wonder I remained in the theater. The `plot' concerns some kind of archeological dig in Antarctica and step right into the middle of a war between the Aliens & Predators, blah blah blah blah. The studios' controversial decision to release this as PG-13 as opposed to R (since all of the other films from both series were rated R) translates into hardly any gore, lousy editing, and virtually incoherent fight sequences. Shame on the producers for wanting to please Hillary Duff fans as opposed to the real fans of both series, who were seriously robbed of a good film (unlike last year's far superior FREDDY VS. JASON). Awful! RATING: 1 out of 10. Rated PG-13 for violence, profanity, grisly images.

Death would only be a solitude after this movie!!

Author: duaplex from United Kingdom
31 March 2006

When I first heard this film was about to be released I was excited, I thought at last we are going to see a truly worthy Vs Movie unlike that ultimate pile of steaming cow dung that is Freddy Vs crappy Jason. How wrong I was!! Not only does this movie suck but it manages to rape and pillage all my happy memories of the awesome first Predator movies and the first two Alien movies, its as if the director said "hmmmm, an excellent story of two great baddies, let me think of 10 possible ways that I could take a huge dump on this franchise" the 10 ways we shall get to later on.

So anyway back to me watching the film, I decided to queue up patiently waiting for my ticket, eventually after getting the ticket I found that not only was I cramped in the theatre but I was wedged between two enormously obese geeks that hadn't showered in more the 2 years and could not help taking about how awesome it would be to blow the predator... Yet this was nothing compared to the pain I was about to endure, they soon became a distant memory and from the onset and the premise of this film making the predators gods I knew this was going to possible be the worst day in my life... no wait, make that the history of mankind. It has no continuity what so ever with the either Aliens films or the predator films, the predators are toothless and the aliens seem to wonder about aimlessly looking stupid, where the hell where the marines anyway I mean don't you think mankind can be represented a bit better then some geriatrics and losers stuck in the middle of the Antarctic armed with pea shooters.

Here are the 10 reasons why this film sucked 10. Aliens are on earth, the whole idea of the aliens movies was to stop them spreading to earth! 9. The predators establish them selves as gods, enslave the people and have them prepared for sacrifice, yet I'm supposed to swallow that these are the good guys after all.

8. The films tries to establish that aliens created civilisations... News flash morons its old news get over it! 7. The predators look like a bad WWE superstar with a one-line gimmick 6. Use of the line (variation of) "one ugly motherfu*ker" I mean how many damn times already, only Arnie can do this 5. Shifting pyramid, erm hello primitive civilisation... now you geeks (presumably the ones in theatre) "are saying its predator technology" really, great way to ensure that humans never find out about the aliens under the Antarctic and what a way to ensure no body knows you was on earth in modern times by establishing technology beyond even our standards today.. Morons and lets no forget cryogenics and the furnace that seems to burn like… forever… I hate you! 4. W. S Anderson Period.

Now the top 3 reasons this sucked so hard it gave me a haemorrhoid 3. She ran around in a t-shirt in freezing temperatures.

2. It seemed as if the predator would bone her any second 1. I checked the timing of this too can you can too, the first predator died and the one to follow exactly 3 mins and 24 secs later... yes I subjected myself to that s*it heap merely for that stat Don't watch this film unless you 13 and clueless, I did and now I'm writing this to you from the comfort of my cell that has white padded walls.

Burning your eyes out with Sulphuric Acid is less painful than this

Trash

Author: thetax81 from United States
26 April 2005

Typical of the computer generated effects movies made today. NO plot, NO acting, just keep pumping out the CGE's! There is no amount of suspension of disbelief that can cause anyone with more than 2 functioning brain cells to actually enjoy this movie. The direction stutters throughout, no continuity can be found. The casting director must have put a call out to "anyone who has been in a high grossing movie in the last 5 years and wants to continue being recognized please apply." Please do not wast your time or money on a rental, send a message to the studios to stop producing such trash. The most enjoyable part of this "action" adventure, horror, sci-fi, revealed secret mankind mystery movie are the ending credits.