IMDb > AVP: Alien vs. Predator (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
AVP: Alien vs. Predator

AVP: Alien vs. Predator More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 129: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Trash

Author: thetax81 from United States
26 April 2005

Typical of the computer generated effects movies made today. NO plot, NO acting, just keep pumping out the CGE's! There is no amount of suspension of disbelief that can cause anyone with more than 2 functioning brain cells to actually enjoy this movie. The direction stutters throughout, no continuity can be found. The casting director must have put a call out to "anyone who has been in a high grossing movie in the last 5 years and wants to continue being recognized please apply." Please do not wast your time or money on a rental, send a message to the studios to stop producing such trash. The most enjoyable part of this "action" adventure, horror, sci-fi, revealed secret mankind mystery movie are the ending credits.

One of the worst movies ever made

Author: thebard-4 from KC
15 August 2004

I went to this movie with an open mind. It is one of the worst films i have ever seen. It had absolutely no f---ing plot and the acting was horrific. The script was worse than almost any b-movie scripts. The film was incredibly short and the cutting away from all the action scenes was obscence. This film is f---ing dogsh--. Fox needs to fire some of its execs for giving the go ahead on this movie. Paul Anderson just assured himself of a Razzie. The Pg-13 rating was a mistake. The predator-human teaming up was incredibly stupid. When the guide yells out the f word to the pod of eggs I have never been so p---ed at the movies since Fahrenheit 9/11. AVP so far is the 2nd worst movie of the year only Fahrenheit 9/11 is worse. Both you should stay away from like the plague. You'd have a better time staring at a wall.

For some reason, everyone hates this, but I love it!

Author: jmanchak6 from Canada
1 March 2010

POSSIBLE SPOILERS!!!

I just like this movie because I saw it when I was younger, and when you're young, you just love any movie. I didn't see any of the Alien or Predator movies before I saw this, and maybe that's why I like it. I like to believe that the general audience (ie me) liked the movie, while the die-hard Alien and Predator fans hated it. So I started thinking about how they wouldn't like this. And I came up with these conclusions:

1) The fans were disappointed by the fact that this was only PG-13, not R. All of the previous films were R, so less violence in this, which ain't good.

2) There aren't a lot of scenes where aliens and predators are fighting. It contains more scenes of humans running away from aliens and predators, and once in a while, the aliens and predators get on each other's nerves.

3) Lance Henriksen was in the film, which basically messes up the continuity of the entire franchise. It's different if it was just a 10 second cameo, but they give him a huge role.

Why do I like this film? Because it gives me a great sense of nostalgia. I enjoyed the special effects, and I thought that the plot was great and fun. Plus it is pretty scary (if you're 8).

I don't know, just try the film out. That's all!

Combining two classic movie monsters into one dynamic showdown!

Author: kclipper from United States
3 July 2015

25 years ago Ridley Scott scared us with his terror in space original "Alien" in which technically adept director, James Cameron elaborated on successfully in "Aliens". Then came the concept of an advanced race of aliens that hunt for sport using state-of-the-art technology in the box office smash, "Predator". The 1991 sequel, "Predator 2" featured an in-joke at the film's climax where Ridley Scott's "Alien" skull is observed as being a trophy inside the "Predator's" spaceship, and that idea launched the 1993 Super Nintendo video game, the Stephen Perry book and not to mention various graphic novels that pitted the two species against each-other in a mega-war between the races.

Now its 2004, and director, Paul W.S. Anderson (producer of Resident Evil) finally decides to bring the idea to the big screen in a slam-bang action showdown. Beautiful survivalist, Sanaa Lathan is recruited along with a group of scientists by Weyland Industries' Charles "Bishop" Weyland (Lance Henrickson) to journey to Antarctica where a satellite observed the ancient ruins of a pyramid under the ice that dates back before the Egyptians. It turns out the the "Predator" race designed the structure in order to breed the parasitic "Alien" creatures in order to hunt for sport, and human beings were the unfortunate hosts. Now as the body count piles up, resourceful female hero must combine wits with the hunters in order to defeat the enemy. Sound familiar? This is hardly new terrain, but the action is exciting enough, the special FX top notch, and fans of "Alien/Predator" films will appreciate the effort. Lance Henrickson is the perfect candidate for Weyland, and Lathan shines through as the tough but gorgeous female lead. This has plenty of thrills, homages to the original films and the combination of the treacherous Arctic landscape and Egyptian archetypal symbolism is very unique. The unrated version is the way to go of course, and provides a bit more action, but either way this is good stuff for fans of these films. Behold, the sequel, AVP: Requiem comes next!!

Spectacular and decent Aliens/Predators movie set in Antarctica where a motley group takes on extraterrestrial monsters

Author: ma-cortes from Santander Spain
1 October 2014

During an archaeological expedition on Bouvetøya Island in Antarctica, a team of archaeologists led by Alexa Woods (Sanaa Lathan , several hundred actresses tested for the lead female, Sanaa was selected one week before filming began, and had to fly to Prague immediately) and Charles Bishop (Lance Henriksen who was first to be cast to maintain some kind of continuity with the previous films , he is the "ancestor" of the Bishop Android from Aliens (1986) and Alien 3 (1992), who were also played by him) and other scientists (Raoul Bova , Ewen Bremner , Tommy Flanagan , Joseph Rye) along with a military platoon (Colin Salmon) find themselves caught up in a battle between the two legends . Soon, the team realize that only one species can win. There they find some altars where victims were placed in the Chamber of Sacrifices of a pyramid (it is arranged identically to the hibernation pods in the original Alien , 1979)

Moving sequel with plenty of chills , twisted intrigue , disgusting special effects and lots of blood and gore . In fact , this is the first Alien film, and also the first Predator film, to get a rating other than R . This was a project that had floated around for about 10 years , it was only when director Paul W.S. Anderson did his verbal pitch to the suits at 20th Century Fox that anyone showed any real interest . This horrifying as well as heart-pounding movie contains shocks , stomach-churning violence , filled with action , thrills and results to be pretty entertaining . This nail-biting picture contains tension from start to finish , gory scenes aplenty , thrills , some strong scares , slime , emotion , entertainment and passable acting . It is a superb cinematic combination of Sci-Fi , monster movie and terror . This is a brutal , considerable violent and exciting sci-fi thriller that scales new heights of savagery even by the standards of the 70s , 80s , 90s and 2000s . The result is a throughly violent but undeniably thrilling action movie with a strong cast giving sweatily good value to their abrasive characters . Based on the comic books by writer Mark Verheiden, creator of the first Alien vs Predator comic series and the first story involving both species , contrary to popular belief, the comic was released prior to the infamous shot of the alien "skull" in Predator 2 (1990). The Alien vs. Predator story crossed over virtually all forms of media before becoming a feature film . There was a successful comic book series, toy line, multiple video games, soundtrack of the PC game and even a trading card series . Breathtaking as well as bloody slaughter sequences took long time to shoot and were extremely difficult to make . Magnificently designed creatures , originally created by the artist HR Giger . Top-notch special effects by SFX designers Tom Woodruff Jr and Alec Gillis , after the opening credits are shown, they have brief cameos as technicians who discover the heat bloom coming from the pyramid . The animatronic Queen was controlled by a motion-control rig which could save her movements digitally . The ending part is particularly exciting with Sanaa Lathan battling the malicious alien and with impressive scenes that took various weeks to film . The star and support cast are pretty good such as Sanaa Lathan , Raoul Bova , Lance Henriksen , Colin Salmon and Tommy Flannagan . The picture packs an original music by Harald Kloser , plenty of frightening and stirring sounds . Colorful and adequate cinematography by David Johnson . The motion picture was professionally directed by Paul W.S. Anderson , though Guillermo del Toro was offered the director's chair but opted to make Hellboy (2004) instead . Paul W.S. stepped down from directing Resident Evil 2: apocalypse (2004) and directing Mortal Kombat to write and direct this film. According to director , if they'd filmed in Hollywood, the sets would have cost them $20 million . In Prague, they only cost $2 million, an important factor in keeping the film's budget down below $50 million. This was he most commercially successful of both Alien and Predator movies, grossing over $172 million

There was seven years between the release of Alien (1979) and Aliens (1986), six between Aliens and Alien 3 (1992), and five between Alien³ and Alien resurrection (1997). The gaps between the four Alien films steadily decreased . The original and the best was ¨Alien¨ by Ridley Scott , it was starred by Sigourney Weaver as a great action woman similarly to Sanaa Lathan ; it is followed by ¨Aliens ¨, also visually astounding by James Cameron with Paul Reiser , Jenette Goldstein , Lance Henriksen ; and this Alien . All of them starred by the great Sigourney Weaver who performed one of the best female leads created in years followed by Sanaa Lathan . Furthermore, ¨Alien vs. Predator¨ (2004) that was first film in the "Alien" franchise to not feature Sigourney Weaver, who has said in interviews the idea of the crossover "sounded awful and ¨Aliens vs. Predator 2¨ (2007) by Strause Brothers with Steven Pasquale , Reiko Aylesworth , John Ortiz , Johnny Lewis and Robert Joy . The original and the best ¨Predator¨ (1987) by John McTiernan in which Arnold leads a team of CIA-hired mercenaries into the Central American jungles with Jesse Ventura , Bill Duke , R.G. Armstrong , Carl Weathers , Elpidia Carrillo who appears briefly in ¨Predators II¨ with Bill Paxton , Danny Glover , Ruben Blades and ¨Predators¨ (2010) by Nimród Antal with Adrien Brody , Topher Grace , Alice Braga and Walton Goggins

It was OK

Author: tigerlvr96 from V, California
14 August 2004

This movie was simply OK. Maybe not the right director for the job. The movie had its moments but it could've had a lot more.

It isn't Alien, Aliens, Predator, or Predator 2. But the movie is better then crap like Aliens 3 and Alien Resurrection two movies that destroyed a franchise, and two movies I don't even care to own in my library.

This movie did move too fast for an hour and 40 minutes, I could have seen it at 2 an a half hours, being a better story, a longer time frame for things to occur, and more intense fighting with more Aliens and Predators.

The Aliens were near flawless.

The Predators didn't use their cloaking enough, in a situation where they need to prove their worth. They know the Alien species is a far more superior species.

Yet the hunter in Predator used it all the time against Arnold and his rescue team.

I know I waited a long time for this movie but I could have waited a little bit longer for it to be thought out a little more.

The good news is that it wasn't so horrible that someone else can't pick it up and make it a huge blockbuster sequel with a big time director and a big time actor.

As far as the timeline is concerned it is accurate as can be. The Weyland-Yutani company would still know about the Alien species through Alexa with her story, the Alien tail spear, the Predator spear, and come on you think they won't try to go after the Queen alien in the ice.

Let's see a sequel on the Aliens home planet, or Predators home planet or some other worldly planet set just before Alien to describe the crashing of the ship. We all know that wasn't an Alien ship because that's not an Alien flying it. This is Ridley Scott's creature feature Alien prequel now throw in a human crash landing freighter with Hugh Jackman and you got a movie.

A GREAT NEW SAGA! "200 YEARS BEFORE ALIEN I"

Author: themantn@bellsouth.net from Nashville, TN
14 August 2004

I just came back from viewing AVP and I have to say, being an Alien and Predator connoisseur, this was what "Resurrection" SHOULD have been. Hopefully Alien 5 will bring this kind of quality to the screen. As for AVP, it was excellent! The story, characters, and special effects were all "refreshing." The fact that the story takes place several hundred years before the first Alien brings new light to the storyline and promises new surprises! Weyland Bishop was great but I wish he had not died and stayed with the "Company" a little longer, but hopefully he will return as an Android in AVP 2!!! The power and strength of both the Alien and Predator were greatly accentuated in this film and give new meaning to the species.

Please do not underrate this film, the storyline is strong and has great potential. If you have not seen any Alien or Predator films, please watch them first before going to see AVP. Congrats to all and thanks for coming back Bishop! ---0000---TheMan..----..signing off....

pwnage (in other words, go see it)

Author: (samusvspredator@yahoo.com) from California
14 August 2004

First off, let me say that I loved this movie. But let me tell you that I have been waiting 8 years for it to come out, so I might be a little blinded by the fact that I finally saw and Alien and a Predator fight on screen in live action. The plot even slightly resembles the AVP comic that came out in the 1990s (for those few of you who actually read it). All in all, I really enjoyed this movie. It does have its problems, but if you are a fan of the series you should at least get a little bit of joy out of it (it may not be as good as the original Alien or Predator, but it DEFINITELY beats Alien Resurrection). Plus, the more people that see AVP and the more money it makes, the more Fox is ACTUALLY going to consider making a Predator 3, Alien V, and/or AVP2. w00t.

Disgustingly disappointing

Author: Ruatha from United Kingdom
19 May 2005

Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. First of all two directors is 1 too many and it shows. both the Aliens and Predator films have a decidedly dark feel to them, smash the two together and you get something akin to dark chocolate mixed with ovaltine - sickening.

There is no plot here - you'll know whats going to happen in the first half hour of the film, which basically exists to set the scene for some pointless and predictable battle scenes, which are anything but dramatic. there is 1 "relationship" twist in the story which is nice, but other than that....uck.

Given the past "installments" fans were expecting something much grander, much more cinematic as opposed to something set in a dingey corner of the earth. I'd rather they had'nt done this at all, now its like that elevator music that I can't get out of my head.

Shame on the producers for wanting to please Hillary Duff fans

Author: duce122 from United States
20 August 2004

Alien Vs. Predator (2004) C-101 min. D: Paul W.S. Anderson. Sanaa Lathan, Raoul Bova, Lance Henriksen, Ewen Bremner, Colin Salmon, Tommy Flanagan, Joseph Rye. Apparently, Sigourney Weaver was told of the idea of making this film and she said it `sounded awful.' Boy, was she ever right! One of the worst films of 2004 is so sloppily written and acted that it is a wonder I remained in the theater. The `plot' concerns some kind of archeological dig in Antarctica and step right into the middle of a war between the Aliens & Predators, blah blah blah blah. The studios' controversial decision to release this as PG-13 as opposed to R (since all of the other films from both series were rated R) translates into hardly any gore, lousy editing, and virtually incoherent fight sequences. Shame on the producers for wanting to please Hillary Duff fans as opposed to the real fans of both series, who were seriously robbed of a good film (unlike last year's far superior FREDDY VS. JASON). Awful! RATING: 1 out of 10. Rated PG-13 for violence, profanity, grisly images.