IMDb > AVP: Alien vs. Predator (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

I loved it

Author: Nighthawk from New Zealand
6 October 2004

(Possible spoilers).

Unfortunately, if you are like me you have probably been too young when the original movies such as "Predator" and "Alien" played in the cinemas to appreciate the whole big screen movie experience.

Especially the original 1986 "Aliens", which is in my opinion the best movie of all times with three climaxes that keeps you on the edge of your seat throughout. "Aliens" also influenced so much of many of modern sci fi military genre. It just goes to show you how little those old-timers at the Oscars committees know. Wouldn't know what the suspense is if it bit them in the a... Also funny when you look at some of those movies, especially "Aliens", and in retrospect you realize how superior they are to most of today formulaic crap they spit out from the production lines.

"Aliens" was directed by the same director as the "The Terminator" and "Titanic" which have his distinctive directing style.

Once, "Aliens" played as a part of the film festival, and it was sold out to the legion s of fans who wanted to see it on big screen as oppose to DVD or Video. Unfortunately I didn't get to see it, and I can't forgive myself for it, but I do make it a ritual to watch it once a year even if on video.

"Predator" itself was a quite a good movie with the governor. In fact two governors if I am correct; Jesse Ventura (Governor of Minnesota) and Arnold Shwarzenneger (Governor of California). (They also did 'Running Man' together).

The whole concept of bringing the two species together is plausible one. I mean hey, they are both alien beings, God knows what's out there in that void.

There were moments which were truly frightening. I was in a cinema with only few people and when a guy who went to toilet sat back down in a row behind me I jumped a little. There were moments which truly made me shiver in fear and suspense. Being stuck with those truly frightening creatures like the Aliens is a part of the ultimate nightmare.

What is noticeable about this film in particular is that both species are the stars of the movie. Both get screen time independently, meaning in previous movies the humans had to be close by or really look at them to be seen. Not here. Creatures almost act themselves. Humans are mostly relegated to targets, which makes the easy meat for picking off by both sides. Which is kind of realistic, they are archaeologist, not marines from the "Aliens".

The whole end of the movie is nicely done to be realistic and plausible (in that context). Seems to me Predator got more screen time. Maybe because of its humanoid side while the aliens were treated like animals appearing here and there to just kill you. Pity, as I am more of the aliens fan than the predator.

One of the greatest tragedies character fact wise, is that the alien creature has acid for blood that burns through hard material. Originally created for that "Nostromo" environment in its very first appearance (Alien, 1979) to make it more frightening and meaner when its only one of them on that ship. Now that fact has to be carried into other movies and it just makes them pain in the a... to kill without burning yourself too. It limits the possible fight scenes.

I hope they make more movies where the aliens could feature as characters. Smart writers can think of the ways, and although there is no Sigourney Weaver here (what a brave woman, what a great character) it still works for true fans.

Anyway, if you accept the movie in that context you'll truly enjoy it. It can't outdo "Aliens", but sure as hell delivers a lot of fun.

Try filming a decent movie to go with the marketing...

Author: sixtwentysix from Denver, CO
17 August 2004

This movie is the perfect epitome of Hollywood taking something beloved, running it straight to hell (Predator 2, Alien 4) and then taking it even one step further by completely disjointing the stories and continuity, *ahem* alienating the fans and basically wasting everyone's time while marring the original (Caddyshack 2 anyone??) all in the name of the mighty dollar bill. Seeing this movie only eggs them on people! This is a movie that you immediately wish you could UNWATCH and erase from your memory banks.

I would be highly surprised if more time went into the script of this film than the actual marketing. I'm not even going to complain about the PG-13 rating because it is what it is.... just a bad movie.

Horrible acting. Pointless plodding sub-plots. Decent action sequences and a precious few cool moments in what should have been a fan-boy's wet dream. The lead in this movie is a demographic friendly woman with barely enough acting ability to make a shampoo ad believable. Any mildly entertaining characters were immediately destroyed in the first twenty minutes of the film with zero payout. Even the marquee monsters end up looking bored as the audience is lead along in a by numbers popcorn sales ploy.

Awesome movie! Worth the wait

Author: dcobbimdb
13 August 2004

I loved this movie! I just got out from the midnight showing on the 12th and i have to say that this thing was awesome! I've heard a lot of bad hype stirring before the movie was released, but I'm hear to tell you it was great! I got everything I was hoping for. Looking back I can see how they could get away with it being PG13 and still not rob you of anything. Quite simply it isn't as bad to show aliens / predators getting stabbed, cut, etc and green / acid blood vs humans. In other words the things that happen in the movie, had they happen to a person, would make it R rating. They were very smart about filming the people dying as to avoid the R rating. So believe me there's some decent gore. A director's cut might also be good, but there was certainly nothing lacking in this movie from that standpoint.

The movie flow was great, kind of built up until things started to explode. Also, certainly gives you a new found respect for the aliens, the predators too, but you could really see the strategic intelligence of the aliens as they are obviously natural born hunters too. Watch out for that tail! The acting was good enough and I wasn't displeased with the performances of any of the actors, alien or human. I did like the story line and how the sequence of events that led up to a bad situation for the humans and the predators, giving a starting advantage to the aliens. I'd love to talk about specifics, but I don't want to give anything away. The running time was somewhere around 100+ minutes. Also, I loved the very end.

I'm happy to report there was very little CGI or at least noticeable CGI in the movie at all. The aliens and the predators looked very real / believable and moved very well too. Hats off to the creature creators and special effects folks. The fight sequences were great too. What I liked best is that unlike movies involving Human fight scenes where its show off time, the aliens / predators don't mess around and simply go for the kill. The fight scenes are pretty quick, but awesome!

Only complaints I have (and they're only few minor ones). It took 20-30 minutes to build up and it could have been little longer overall, but in saying that the movie delivered enough. If anything it left you with that feeling of wanting more, which is usually a sign of a good movie, and in this case it is too. They didn't explain how the predators or aliens could keep warm in the cold as they kind of bypass the whole temperature concept for both the aliens / predators, no biggie. I'm still at a loss as to how Bishop fits in and the whole timeline concept connecting the various Bishops, or if it's the same guy, great great grandfather, who knows. Didn't matter too much and the movie could have survived with out him as he wasn't really a key player, just a familiar face. The sound effects were great, but there was no real theme song or lack of a good one. So there's no tune or song you can hum that would remind you of the movie. Again these are very weak complaints.

Overall I give this a 9.5 out of 10. There's very little I could think of to improve it to a 10, but the complaints are listed above. I'm glad I saw it opening night and will likely see it again in the theaters. Definitely one I'm going to buy when it hits DVD.

GREAT NEW SAGA! "200 years before ALIEN I" "Better than Resurrection!"

Author: themantn@bellsouth.net from Nashville, TN
13 August 2004

Spoiler I just came back from viewing AVP and I have to say, being an Alien and Predator connoisseur, this was what "Resurrection" SHOULD have been. Hopefully Alien 5 will bring this kind of quality to the screen. As for AVP, it was excellent! The story, characters, and special effects were all "refreshing." The fact that the story takes place several hundred years before the first Alien brings new light to the storyline and promises new surprises! Weyland Bishop was great but I wish he had not died and stayed with the "Company" a little longer, but hopefully he will return as an Android in AVP 2!!! The power and strength of both the Alien and Predator were greatly accentuated in this film and give new meaning to the species.

Please do not underrate this film, the storyline is strong and has great potential. If you have not seen any Alien or Predator films, please watch them first before going to see AVP. Congrats to all and thanks for coming back Bishop! ---0000---TheMan..----..signing off....

Trash

Author: thetax81 from United States
26 April 2005

Typical of the computer generated effects movies made today. NO plot, NO acting, just keep pumping out the CGE's! There is no amount of suspension of disbelief that can cause anyone with more than 2 functioning brain cells to actually enjoy this movie. The direction stutters throughout, no continuity can be found. The casting director must have put a call out to "anyone who has been in a high grossing movie in the last 5 years and wants to continue being recognized please apply." Please do not wast your time or money on a rental, send a message to the studios to stop producing such trash. The most enjoyable part of this "action" adventure, horror, sci-fi, revealed secret mankind mystery movie are the ending credits.

One of the worst movies ever made

Author: thebard-4 from KC
15 August 2004

I went to this movie with an open mind. It is one of the worst films i have ever seen. It had absolutely no f---ing plot and the acting was horrific. The script was worse than almost any b-movie scripts. The film was incredibly short and the cutting away from all the action scenes was obscence. This film is f---ing dogsh--. Fox needs to fire some of its execs for giving the go ahead on this movie. Paul Anderson just assured himself of a Razzie. The Pg-13 rating was a mistake. The predator-human teaming up was incredibly stupid. When the guide yells out the f word to the pod of eggs I have never been so p---ed at the movies since Fahrenheit 9/11. AVP so far is the 2nd worst movie of the year only Fahrenheit 9/11 is worse. Both you should stay away from like the plague. You'd have a better time staring at a wall.

For some reason, everyone hates this, but I love it!

Author: jmanchak6 from Canada
1 March 2010

POSSIBLE SPOILERS!!!

I just like this movie because I saw it when I was younger, and when you're young, you just love any movie. I didn't see any of the Alien or Predator movies before I saw this, and maybe that's why I like it. I like to believe that the general audience (ie me) liked the movie, while the die-hard Alien and Predator fans hated it. So I started thinking about how they wouldn't like this. And I came up with these conclusions:

1) The fans were disappointed by the fact that this was only PG-13, not R. All of the previous films were R, so less violence in this, which ain't good.

2) There aren't a lot of scenes where aliens and predators are fighting. It contains more scenes of humans running away from aliens and predators, and once in a while, the aliens and predators get on each other's nerves.

3) Lance Henriksen was in the film, which basically messes up the continuity of the entire franchise. It's different if it was just a 10 second cameo, but they give him a huge role.

Why do I like this film? Because it gives me a great sense of nostalgia. I enjoyed the special effects, and I thought that the plot was great and fun. Plus it is pretty scary (if you're 8).

I don't know, just try the film out. That's all!

Spectacular and decent Aliens/Predators movie set in Antarctica where a motley group takes on extraterrestrial monsters

Author: ma-cortes from Santander Spain
1 October 2014

During an archaeological expedition on Bouvetøya Island in Antarctica, a team of archaeologists led by Alexa Woods (Sanaa Lathan , several hundred actresses tested for the lead female, Sanaa was selected one week before filming began, and had to fly to Prague immediately) and Charles Bishop (Lance Henriksen who was first to be cast to maintain some kind of continuity with the previous films , he is the "ancestor" of the Bishop Android from Aliens (1986) and Alien 3 (1992), who were also played by him) and other scientists (Raoul Bova , Ewen Bremner , Tommy Flanagan , Joseph Rye) along with a military platoon (Colin Salmon) find themselves caught up in a battle between the two legends . Soon, the team realize that only one species can win. There they find some altars where victims were placed in the Chamber of Sacrifices of a pyramid (it is arranged identically to the hibernation pods in the original Alien , 1979)

Moving sequel with plenty of chills , twisted intrigue , disgusting special effects and lots of blood and gore . In fact , this is the first Alien film, and also the first Predator film, to get a rating other than R . This was a project that had floated around for about 10 years , it was only when director Paul W.S. Anderson did his verbal pitch to the suits at 20th Century Fox that anyone showed any real interest . This horrifying as well as heart-pounding movie contains shocks , stomach-churning violence , filled with action , thrills and results to be pretty entertaining . This nail-biting picture contains tension from start to finish , gory scenes aplenty , thrills , some strong scares , slime , emotion , entertainment and passable acting . It is a superb cinematic combination of Sci-Fi , monster movie and terror . This is a brutal , considerable violent and exciting sci-fi thriller that scales new heights of savagery even by the standards of the 70s , 80s , 90s and 2000s . The result is a throughly violent but undeniably thrilling action movie with a strong cast giving sweatily good value to their abrasive characters . Based on the comic books by writer Mark Verheiden, creator of the first Alien vs Predator comic series and the first story involving both species , contrary to popular belief, the comic was released prior to the infamous shot of the alien "skull" in Predator 2 (1990). The Alien vs. Predator story crossed over virtually all forms of media before becoming a feature film . There was a successful comic book series, toy line, multiple video games, soundtrack of the PC game and even a trading card series . Breathtaking as well as bloody slaughter sequences took long time to shoot and were extremely difficult to make . Magnificently designed creatures , originally created by the artist HR Giger . Top-notch special effects by SFX designers Tom Woodruff Jr and Alec Gillis , after the opening credits are shown, they have brief cameos as technicians who discover the heat bloom coming from the pyramid . The animatronic Queen was controlled by a motion-control rig which could save her movements digitally . The ending part is particularly exciting with Sanaa Lathan battling the malicious alien and with impressive scenes that took various weeks to film . The star and support cast are pretty good such as Sanaa Lathan , Raoul Bova , Lance Henriksen , Colin Salmon and Tommy Flannagan . The picture packs an original music by Harald Kloser , plenty of frightening and stirring sounds . Colorful and adequate cinematography by David Johnson . The motion picture was professionally directed by Paul W.S. Anderson , though Guillermo del Toro was offered the director's chair but opted to make Hellboy (2004) instead . Paul W.S. stepped down from directing Resident Evil 2: apocalypse (2004) and directing Mortal Kombat to write and direct this film. According to director , if they'd filmed in Hollywood, the sets would have cost them $20 million . In Prague, they only cost $2 million, an important factor in keeping the film's budget down below $50 million. This was he most commercially successful of both Alien and Predator movies, grossing over $172 million

There was seven years between the release of Alien (1979) and Aliens (1986), six between Aliens and Alien 3 (1992), and five between Alien³ and Alien resurrection (1997). The gaps between the four Alien films steadily decreased . The original and the best was ¨Alien¨ by Ridley Scott , it was starred by Sigourney Weaver as a great action woman similarly to Sanaa Lathan ; it is followed by ¨Aliens ¨, also visually astounding by James Cameron with Paul Reiser , Jenette Goldstein , Lance Henriksen ; and this Alien . All of them starred by the great Sigourney Weaver who performed one of the best female leads created in years followed by Sanaa Lathan . Furthermore, ¨Alien vs. Predator¨ (2004) that was first film in the "Alien" franchise to not feature Sigourney Weaver, who has said in interviews the idea of the crossover "sounded awful and ¨Aliens vs. Predator 2¨ (2007) by Strause Brothers with Steven Pasquale , Reiko Aylesworth , John Ortiz , Johnny Lewis and Robert Joy . The original and the best ¨Predator¨ (1987) by John McTiernan in which Arnold leads a team of CIA-hired mercenaries into the Central American jungles with Jesse Ventura , Bill Duke , R.G. Armstrong , Carl Weathers , Elpidia Carrillo who appears briefly in ¨Predators II¨ with Bill Paxton , Danny Glover , Ruben Blades and ¨Predators¨ (2010) by Nimród Antal with Adrien Brody , Topher Grace , Alice Braga and Walton Goggins

pwnage (in other words, go see it)

Author: (samusvspredator@yahoo.com) from California
14 August 2004

First off, let me say that I loved this movie. But let me tell you that I have been waiting 8 years for it to come out, so I might be a little blinded by the fact that I finally saw and Alien and a Predator fight on screen in live action. The plot even slightly resembles the AVP comic that came out in the 1990s (for those few of you who actually read it). All in all, I really enjoyed this movie. It does have its problems, but if you are a fan of the series you should at least get a little bit of joy out of it (it may not be as good as the original Alien or Predator, but it DEFINITELY beats Alien Resurrection). Plus, the more people that see AVP and the more money it makes, the more Fox is ACTUALLY going to consider making a Predator 3, Alien V, and/or AVP2. w00t.

A GREAT NEW SAGA! "200 YEARS BEFORE ALIEN I"

Author: themantn@bellsouth.net from Nashville, TN