AVP: Alien vs. Predator (2004) Poster

1,297 Reviews
Good, solid action sci-fi.
BrickNash4 February 2018
It's so easy to jump on a bandwagon when your a sheep, and that's exactly what happened to this movie. AvP is a solid action sci-fi film, and there' just no getting away from that.

To start with, it looks great! Director Paul W.S. Anderson (the man who gave us the ONLY good video game film ever in Mortal Kombat) has a remarkable eye for visuals, and here is no exception. It's a pretty film with decent CGI and some really stunning set design.

The story is interesting as well, and to address the elephant in the room, yes the first third of this film is pretty much Identical to the start of Prometheus, only AvP got there first by nearly a decade. When things kick off the action is fantastic and it's just a well made and fun film all round, plus it's GREAT to see Lance Herikson back, and he does afar better job as a Weyland than Guy Pearce.

Is it perfect? No. It's not as good as any of the first three Alien films not is it as good as the first two Predator films. There's a real lack of character development and most people there are just meat sacks waiting to be killed. Some questionable representation of the gestation cycle of the Aliens is on show here and having the lead teaming up with a predator was just a bad idea. Another fault is that, even though the action is fantastic there's just not enough of it.

Still, these minor quibbles aside I found AvP to be a great and fun action sci-fi film, with plenty of thrills, spills and monster madness. Infinitely better than the atrocious sequel which followed.

Don't listen to the sheep. Something being "not as good as..." doesn't automatically = "Bad".
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
No wonder it was in the discount bin...
DylanW18 January 2018
Could the crossover of the "Alien" and the "Predator" franchises be stopped? Probably not; it was going to happen sooner or later, as was hinted in "Predator 2". The question is whether it 'should' have been stopped. The expectations for this movie were, frankly speaking, low. No intricate plot is expected, just a full-on action battle between two of the most world-renowned and iconic alien designs ever produced. Which is all we get; even a little plot development. A group put together by Charles Bishop Weyland (played by Lance Henriksen) must investigate an unknown pyramid underneath Antarctica. Firstly, if you have watched "Alien 3", which is set in the future, where a younger version of the same character (Charles BIshop Weyland) is present, just ignore the incontinuity, because there are plenty more. Such as the completely improbable costumes; for example, no beanies are worn (and the cast is plunged into the surface of Antarctica) and a single singlet for a top layer of clothing for one scene. Despite all of the flaws, there are scenes of suspense which can get you slightly anxious, but there is no connection to the characters; nothing for you to want them to survive (save for Ewen Bremmer, who plays Graeme Miller, father of two kids). Most of the characters you begin to discover and connect with, die within the next ten minutes (don't worry, that's not a spoiler)! As usual with these types of movies, there must always be the tough guy/girl who happens to hate the world for reasons unexplained, unfortunately, paired with a fine piece of overacting, the character just becomes worse and negatively affects the film. Another piece of nonsensical rubbish is located when, suddenly, these expeditioners pull out machine guns out of these huge cases... why would anybody have a gun? This pyramid is meant to originate from ancient civilisations, I imagine most of the people would be long dead! You can count the number of people who don't have a gun on one hand... (they must be the people who don't have foresight). As mentioned, there are some good scenes (like the costumes and occasionally CGI of the alien/xenomorph) which, are mostly (if only) the Predator vs. Alien scenes. There is some effective CGI which is present, but there are also poor, uneffective scenes, but nothing to take away any enjoyment. The film is watchable, but doesn't seem to affect the "Alien" or "Predator" universes (so far), so, unless you are eager enough to see this instalment, there are much better horror and action movies out there, just look a bit harder.
Underrated classic.
alexpop27 October 2017
This is not a Shakespearian tragedy, so don't expect emphasis on dialogue. But as a action sci-fi movie goes it excels in regards to fight scenes with Aliens and Predators. I have watched this repeatedly since viewing it in the cinema 2004. Great popcorn flick, a worthy entry into the Predator Alien universe.
Meh
morganstephens51226 October 2017
I really do not have anything else to say about this film aside from the fact that it was just average, but not needed to be made at all. I do think that the soundtrack was pretty decent and there was good action scenes, almost even great. But I didn't care for the characters at all and the effects seemed almost too realistic for their own good. I know that it sounds odd for me to say that, but that was just how I felt about the whole thing. So with a good soundtrack and action, but bad acting and too realistic effects, the film just ends up being totally average.
Gave Me What I Wanted
jackdayz6 October 2017
This movie is a good movie not because it has a Great Story, or Incredible Characters, or even gory character deaths, but what it does well is pacing, once the first fight between an Alien and Predator happens, the movie Never slows down their is always something happening or about to happen until the end of the final fight.

The action for the most part is Incredible! The first fight is Easily the Best, while their are some dumb moments in the fight (theirs a bit in the beginning of that fight where the alien's flipping like a fish on the beach trying to stand up on legs it doesn't have) Though their are some Great moments in the fight such as; how the environment is used to pretty good effect.

However the final fight between Lex and the Scar Predator work together to fight the Alien Queen is underwhelming because the Predator almost never does anything to the queen, although the fight uses the environment Very Well and without it they would've all died.

In conclusion Alien Vs. Predator is a movie for those who want to see Aliens and Predators Beating each other up, however if you want a movie with a focus on story you may be disappointed, for me I think this movie is a lot of fun too watch.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
They tried for years to get this film made....so this is what we got
UofSciFi5 October 2017
They have been trying for years to get this film made....so what did you think of it? Is it what you expected? Is this the film you would've'e made if you were in control? If you are like most of us then your answers to the above questions are probably No, No, No and No However it is not all bad ....in fact there were parts of this film that I really enjoyed. My biggest disappointment is that it didn't follow the ALIEN VS PREDATOR story lines that I have learn to enjoy from the paper back novels and comic books.

I wanted to see a movie about humans in the future who are at war with the predator race in space and both are using the alien as a weapon against each other (just like in the novels) Needless to say that isn't the film they made.....

I'm afraid this film falls under the category of movies that i like to call "what could have been...films" Had they followed the story lines used in the paperback novels this could have been the birth of a new major sci-fi franchise that would rivaled the likes of Star Wars, BattleStar Galactica, and Star Trek.

Instead we get to see a gang of twenty somethings go glob trotting in Antartica in a underground pyramid (and most of them are killed off before you even get to know the characters) --and the rest of the movie was just a special effect show At least it was entertaining..and it did have some decent special effects I gave it 5 out of 10 stars
Underrated Film
LordAvatarII5 October 2017
I absolutely loved every second of AVP. Actors performances were excellent. Costumes and graphics were on point. There were no boring parts of the film. It was constantly building to the amazing climaxed ending. It is a highly underrated production and I highly recommend this film to anyone who loves sci-fi.
UK Shaun30 September 2017
Alien vs. Predator (2004)

At the time of writing this review, Alien vs. Predator was released 13 years ago. I knew of it's existence, and admittedly the title Alien vs. Predator, simply didn't sit well with me. Both Alien (1979) and Predator (1987) are classic films, ultimately I gave into temptation and sat through Alien vs. Predator.

Others have covered the story here, so I will pass on repeating it. To be honest the story failed to mean much. Compared to either Alien or Predator, Alien vs. Predator fails to compare, although if you were to compare it to the dire Predators (2010) Alien vs. Predator is a slightly better film.

95% of Alien vs. Predator takes place underground, in a pyramid structure, located in Antarctica. If you have ever played an Uncharted game, you might recall the levels that see large stone blocks sliding, highly ornate shapes turning, surfaces covered in hieroglyphics. During Alien vs. Predator much of the time the cast are seen exploring, running, jumping, around the stone structure, and it feels Indian Jones, action adventure, never sci-fi Alien or war-zone Predator. No electronic gadgets to detect Aliens, or opportunities to cover ones self in mud and hide. No moments of suspense. Alien vs. Predator lacks what made Alien and Predator so good.

Special FX - Alien vs. Predator contains a mixed bag. Some of the SFX are absolutely stunning, such as the snow covered landscape with buildings breaking up. The Predators looked good, but not as good as the Predator that appears in the original from 1987, which looked alive with it's mask off. When it comes to the Aliens, it's CGI overload. For some reason, the Aliens look slimy? The Alien always had a slimy mouth, but I don't recall the whole thing being covered from head to toe? There's a ton of them, they charge about like reptiles. Predators dispatch Aliens with ease, thus aren't portrayed as absolutely bad- ass indestructible creatures like the Alien from 1979, which is a pity. Surprisingly, there is no gore other than Alien acid or green Predator juice. There is chest burst scene, but the camera pans away, not wanting to show the gory moment. Now that's a missed opportunity!

Alien vs. Predator contains a mixed bag of ability when it comes to the actors who got the job. I won't run through all of them. The following list might give you some idea.

Lance Henriksen - The best actor in the film. He does a good job. Good choice.

Ewen Bremner - I know him from Trainspotting. He is a good actor. When he first appears, with his goofy demeanour, I really wasn't sure, and am still not sure he was a good choice. The fact remains, he was one of the best actors to star in Alien vs. Predator.

Raoul Bova - His strong Italian accent is the first thing that hit's the viewer. It sounds exaggerated, and ultimately becomes distracting. His performance, mediocre at best.

Sanaa Lathan - Plays the lead female. Her acting skills are along way off those of Sigourney Weaver. Sanaa Lathan along many other cast members, acted in much the same way as many of the actors acted during Predators (2010). By this, I mean none of them were remotely convincing conveying the magnitude of the situation they were in - trapped, surrounded by Predators and Aliens. It's laughable.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It was alright except for...
Mike LeMar12 September 2017
Early on when the team finds the alien nest. They're all ready with their guns and go through too long of a premonition of the aliens about to jump out at them for it to be realistic that one successfully lands on the girl's face before she has time to react. And once that happens, how in the world would they ALL end up with face-huggers? That's a load of garbage. Also, the last predator had to catch and kill the alien that jumped out of the guy's stomach toward the end because the girl was too stupid to shoot him in his gut to kill it. She just walked away thinking she'd done a good job after the guy in his HEAD. Then, at the end, the predator never got face- hugged and just got the alien tail through his abdomen, so how would he have a live alien inside him? This is definitely a sub-par movie.
Watch the Fight Ignore Everything Else
view_and_review8 July 2017
Alien versus Predator, what's not to like? Let's make it happen: Ali v. Frasier, Tyson v. Holyfield. All we need is a serviceable premise to pit these two against each other and we're talking about cinematic gold!

Well, therein lied the problem. The story around having these two iconic creatures fight was awful. An underground pyramid has been accidentally discovered and a wealthy businessman wants to be the first to discover it. He hastily assembles a team of explorers, scientists and the oh-so necessary terrain expert, Alexa Woods (Sanaa Lathan). Of course instead of getting to brag about his landmark find, he finds he and his team are nothing more than canon fodder for the extra-terrestrials.

Between the acting and the lazily developed story I was ready to scream. For thousands of years these inter-planetary predators would every so often visit Earth to harvest aliens in order to hunt them. What!? And as a parting gift to the humans that worshipped them they taught them how to build. Really!?

Look, the only decent and watchable thing about this movie was the Predators and Aliens going at it like cats and dogs. After that there was nothing to pay attention to and nothing to hold my interest.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An okay film if you're a typical moviegoer, but if you are an Alien/Predator fan, you're not gonna like it.
a-117376 July 2017
For me, it was an okay film, it was well directed and has pretty good action sequences. The scenes with the human characters are a little dull, but you can care about them sometimes. The dialogue isn't too good, but the action sequences are amazing and the practical effects are awesome. I liked the way the facehugger eggs opened up, how the actual aliens and predators look, even the queen looks impressive. Usually with such a small budget but with enough of a budget, you can do so much with practicality. The CGI does look bad, but that just means there's more room for practicality. Paul W. S. Anderson did such a good job at trying to make a good film, its hard not to respect him for that. Again, the writing isn't that great. Not great writing, but not the worst either. The climax of the film is the best part. Seeing the queen battle the predator and our main star makes for good visual storytelling. The set design? Just great! The sets look so real. It looks like they're in a pyramid built by predators. But what really gets me is the different styles of writing in the pyramid. In this universe, humans clearly did learn writing from the predators, with the Aztec and Cambodian writing (supposedly) things get kinda confusing, because these are two different styles of writing. So how do you blend the two together?

Well that's my review of AVP. If you're a typical film-goer just looking for two aliens fighting, you're gonna get it. It's just really late in the film so you can't do a whole lot with it. But if you're an Alien/Predator fan, you might not like this film. Although, I would prefer to spend more time with our main human characters rather than watch mindless fighting between our two title.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great movie if you're a teenager, horrible as it is
tiloubrunet8 May 2017
I must admit that i used to like this movie (like, a lot). At the time i first watched it i was young and didn't watch Alien or Predator, so i had no comparison point. Almost 11 years after, rewatching it and it doesn't feel the same, i get easily frustrated at the shots where it's almost pitch dark in a situation where nothing special is happening. AVP Requiem have the same kind of shady lightning and it's even worst in this one than the original. The actors are OK at best and the story is lazy. It looks, smells and feels like a generic scenario for a sci-fi movie who needs to fits two franchises together. Both series are good because of their ambiance ( the deep space in Alien and the tropical jungle kind of survivor feeling of Predator). AVP, in contrast, is in a pyramid they found in Antartica.... Neither Aliens or Predators ever are on Earth, it's Sci-fi, not a new episode of Ancient Aliens.

So yeah, watch it for the kickass battle scenes between predators and aliens ( even if there is few and you mostly see nothing thanks to the great lightning, good job guys). Don't expect to see a masterpiece here, it's more for the fans of Ridley Scott who wants to see something unique, but for most of people this movie will probably not remembered.
Decent sequel
Smoreni Zmaj29 April 2017
I did not see any of Predator movies, but in my opinion this is more than satisfying sequel to Alien franchise. Set is awesome, action scenes are great, plot is very interesting and I like it more than stories in any of previous Alien movies. All in all, very enjoyable.

7,5/10
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
my best movie
Raeef Sabban11 April 2017
the movie is fantastic the script is great the look of predator is best of all films specially celtic the oldest and alpha of the 3 predator brothers but the only think I didn't like is the death scene of the 2 predators and I really hate critics for destroying alien vs predator universe I hoped it continued
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A missed opportunity
MetalGeek19 March 2017
A research team investigates a newly uncovered ancient pyramid beneath Antarctica (?) ...and learns too late that they've stumbled into a Predator training ground, so they are now caught in the middle of the hunters' ongoing battle with the Aliens. Puny humans die, much xenomorph butt is kicked and lots of slime is spilled, the end.

Paul W.S. Anderson's franchise-crossover monster mash should have been a home run. The Aliens and Predators had been battling it out in a highly successful series of comic books for years so there was plenty of "source material" to draw from. Instead we got...a secret Predator pyramid in Antarctica?

"AvP" spends waaaaayyyy too much time on setup but once the two critters finally start beatin' the crap out of each other it becomes entertaining enough in a big,dumb sort of way. The set designs are way cool as well. I just wish they'd simply adapted the first Dark Horse Comics "AvP" mini series from 1989, which would have made a way more bad-ass movie.

...but hey, at least this one's better than "AvP: Requiem!"
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I'd say one of the better movies from the Alien and Predator films.
Julian R. White12 March 2017
This movie came out back when I was still rather young, and being a fan of both the Alien and Predator series, I couldn't wait to watch it. While I agree with some users on it's lack of acting quality and such, I really don't see why someone would give this film such a low rating. It has the best of both worlds, Alien and Predator action and violence, and a decent plot as well. The setting is rather odd and random, but that wasn't really problem for me. I really enjoyed this film.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Delivered More than Predators 2 and Alien 3 Combined/Also Woman Power
HorrorNixonAlien2926 February 2017
This movie gets a lot of grief but it has an amazing heroin that stands up to Sigourney Weaver's Ripley (not the Alien 3 version). It had the best elements of both Alien and Predator without going over the top with back story.

I would love to see a sequel to this with Sanaa Lathan kicking ass once again.

Alien vs Predator Requiem disappointed as a continued story line....

But Alexa Woods has been one of my heroes since I saw the movie when I 15.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A triumphant testimony to the abilities of mankind
thbehrens-8279319 January 2017
Stunning. That is the word that comes to mind after watching AVP. With a cast this great and special effects pushing the boundaries of modern Cinema it is no wonder that this is considered one of the greatest works of art of all time. The plot is brilliant with writing rivaling only that of Shakespeare and Poe. Never before has the movie shaped human culture in such a way. This Timeless testimony to the triumphs of mankind will be remembered through the centuries. Everything about this wonderful work of art will leave you speechless stunned and begging for more. A rare movie that can be watched over and over again and there will always be something new that you can take with you on your journey through life and self- discovery.
Just a Tiresome Spectacle
Hitchcoc11 January 2017
OK. We've got these two movie entities: Aliens and Predators. What would happen if they faced off against each other. This sounds like something Cliff Klaven and Norm Peterson would discuss as they swilled beers at Cheers. A bunch of rich guys decide it is necessary to investigate some heat coming out of the ground in Antarctica. They spend a whole bunch of money to see what's there. They also hand pick a group of disparate characters to investigate. It is the usual assemblage of clashing personalities. They are also terribly short sighted and pretty incompetent. Of course, once the Aliens and Predators arrive on the scene, the humans become things to be killed. Those bad boys begin to do their things based on their particular properties and then...it's over, I guess. This is just another case of lack of imagination and an anything-for-a-buck mentality.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Pretty good for what it is
zumo-1690825 December 2016
Some say that AVP is silly and that the plot is thin, and they are right, but this movie is not about realism or story depth. Its an action movie where people are hunted by terrifying monsters and get killed without discrimination. This is a slight depart from the original Alien movie and Predator movie which had a more serious tone, so i understand why some may be disappointed by AVP. But if you expect a solid no-brainer action movie that entertains the viewers with suspense and action without taking itself too serious, then you get exactly that. It is a joy to watch all the right people get killed and the right people survive their encounter with the aliens and the predator. The main character is actually quite likable. Its not like in Prometheus, where you'd grow increasingly apathetic with each silly decision made by the characters.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not bad of a monster facing movie
austinkunkle16 November 2016
This will probably be the only greatest AVP movie like at all. The second one was lost on plot making,but a few of the fights weren't that bad. For this one,I liked the plot and the fights. Although there weren't a lot of fights with AVP. There was probably like only 3 short fights. The first fight was actually not that bad;they actually made the fight with a good run time and a good battle. The second fight was actually not even a fight,it was more of just a gun war. For the third fight,I was actually expecting it to be a lot longer,because it was a queen alien and they only gave her an estimated 3 minutes. Although,it wasn't a bad 3 minutes. What I saw from this,it was a pretty good action movie when the aliens and predators were killing the humans,but with each other,it was completely rushed through. So if they ever plan to make another sequel,let's just hope you get a director that loves to make the type of movies that represent friend or foe.Like Freddy vs Jason.Although it wasn't the greatest movie ever,it was still better than the sequel.
Predator Alien meets Indiana Jones
Predrag10 August 2016
Don't go into this movie with high expectations or you will be disappointed. The premise that Predators hunt the Aliens as part of their trophy in attaining the status of super warrior is awesome! I love it. The Predators are so cool and the Aliens are gnarly. Here's a short version of the plot: scientific team goes to Antartica to explore a strange pyramid found by satellite. They discover they are the bait in the Alien vs. Predator game. The rest is a slasher/alien horror (though not really scary) movie. You are not cheering for the humans but for either the Aliens or the Predator. It's Team Predator vs Team Alien. This isn't a horror movie but a game night movie. The question is will the Predators win or will the Aliens win and take over the world? Who cares about the humans..

In fact, two of AVP's biggest problems seem to be the result of breakneck-speed sloppiness: 1. The Alien life-cycle is inexplicably abbreviated, with chest-bursts making their nasty debuts in tens of minutes rather than tens of hours; 2. The Predators' long-range weapons (e.g. spears and throwing stars) are acid-resistant, yet their close-quarters materiel (e.g. wrist blades and body armor) are not. All in all, AVP did its job. With the exception of a handful of (de rigueur) overly-jittery/super-slow shutter-speed shots in otherwise well-made action sequences, AVP is a polished piece of work. Thanks to Anderson's direction, the ADI FX Workshop was forced to abandon the Mr. Hanky-looking design of the creature from "Alien 3," as well as the beastly, overly slimy appearance of the extraterrestrials from "Alien Resurrection," and provide the silver screen with its best looking xenomorphs since 1986.

Overall rating: 7 out of 10.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
AVP: Alien vs. Predator (4/10)
skybrick7366 August 2016
Although it is nice to see the two most ruthless alien species on film going at it, there lies the first issue of the film. Both film franchises chronological timelines are now ruined with the xenomorphs being exposed in the Predators timeline (modern day). It's clear to see the Paul W.S. Anderson and the writers did have somewhat of an interest in maintaining some faith to the original alien franchise by casting Lance Henriksen as Sir Weyland, since the robot Bishop is supposedly made to look like his maker. Aside from that aspect, the storyline is completely silly with the only entertaining facet that the Predators and Aliens are facing off for the first time. Action sequences are prevalent and done rather well but there are no characters of redeeming value and the ending was a big miss. SPOILER: The notion that our main character was able to survive by "picking sides" was very, very stupid. A 4/10 rating is being pretty considerate but there is a part of myself, remembering back as a young viewer at the time AVP was in theatres, that I did enjoy seeing both alien species being on the big screen together.
Bland and uninteresting
SlyGuy211 July 2016
As a fan of the two "Alien" films and the "Predator" movie, to say I was disappointed to this would be an understatement. This had a lot of potential, two of the greatest alien species of all time, fighting to the death. Unfortunately, someone decided this should be boring instead. It's not as bad as "Alien 3", and it's nowhere near as insultingly terrible as "Prometheus", but it still has quite a few problems.

Now obviously, the whole movie couldn't be the Xenos and Predators killing each other for 2 hours, that would wear out after awhile. I don't mind the movie focusing on the human characters, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't "Aliens" go the first 30 minutes of so without any Xenos? And those characters were awesome, these ones on the other hand, are more bland than anything. No one really stands out or makes an impact, it kind of reminds me of "Alien 3" how all the prisoners are just cannon fodder and nothing else.

The story's pretty convoluted as well. So the Predators came to Earth thousands of years ago and had people build a temple in Antarctica to have a rite of passage every hundred years, hunting Xenos. OK, that sounds pretty dumb, even for a movie called "Alien vs Predator", I've heard of ridiculous, but this seems more far-fetched than anything. I could go into the plot holes of this, but you can piece them together for yourself based on the synopsis I just gave you.

Now we move on to the inconsistencies between this and the other movies. One, Xenos have acid for blood. No problem, every fan knows that, but their blood in this isn't always acid. One scene it melts the Predator's wrist blades, and the next it doesn't. And it's not just one instance, it happens multiple times. Two, Predators sense where people are through their body heat. No problem, every fan knows that, but they kill people that they wouldn't be able to see. If you remember in "Predator", the alien couldn't see Arnold because he was covered in mud, hiding his body heat. They kill a guy in this that's covered in snow. Wouldn't that conceal his body heat? Three, Predators only kill people who have weapons, as a form of good sportsmanship. No problem, every fan knows this, but not in this movie. Some people are killed who have guns, but others are just killed because reasons, it's inconsistent and kind of irritating to me as a fan.

The PG-13 rating hurts this movie more than anything. You'd think the violence would make up for some of the faults in this right, but it's neutered because of the PG-13 rating. All the blood is CGI, bad CGI, and don't tell me it's bad because it's from 2004 when "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" came out the year before. No wonder this is the highest grossing of all the other films, it had the lower rating which allowed more people to see it. If you ask me, I don't think that counts.

Maybe in better hands, this could've worked, but the movie almost solely relies on the title alone to bring people in. Even if it had just been a slasher movie with random people getting killed off, that would've at least been something. This is just bland and pointless. I'll watch "AVPR" tomorrow because I hear that movie's just a straight-forward slasher flick. Here's hoping it leaves more of an impact than this did.