IMDb > Ultraviolet (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Ultraviolet

Ultraviolet More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 83:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Worst movie I've seen in years!

Author: Niko Stokley from United States
3 March 2006

This movie is absolutely horrible. The magnitude of its suck is unbelievable. The characters in the movie are very poorly developed so when you are quickly put into a silent emotional scene, you're left unaffected. The movie takes place in the future so they add in all kinda of high-tech gadgets that are so stupidly unrealistic it makes you laugh. They try to incorporate unbelievable advanced technology with a more modern day looking setting so the two aspects clash. They can make weapons materialize in their hands but their form of infection control is still rubber gloves. The plot itself is kind of hard to follow and doesn't seem to make any sense at times. How vampires fit into the movie, i have no idea.I signed up to IMDb for the sole purpose of warning anyone who wants to see this movie. This movie was horrible and do not waste a dime on this movie. The only delight i got from this movie is watching the fine Milia Jovovich dance around in skin tight outfits. I cannot stress how awful this movie is. Don't waste your time or money on this film!

Hot body, not much else going on

Author: Lithigin from Lawton, OK
3 March 2006

Ultraviolet was embarrassingly terrible on so many levels. My husband and I usually really dig the comic book and action movies, so I think that our expectations were reasonable for the genre. The kinds of movies that Ultraviolet tried to channel were X-Men, The Matrix and Underworld. Unfortunately, this movie failed to do so.

1) Dialogue was laughably bad. One of Milla's lines was actually "Because these beautiful moments turn evil when they're over." What?? This was regarding a romantic pass made at her. Totally incongruous with the setting. 2) Excessive use of CGI is a personal irritant. Additionally, the motorcycle chase scenes were only one step above TRON. I might as well have been watching my 11 year old neighbors play some video game. 3) Zero character development. I didn't care about Violet, the french guy, the scientist guy, the pretty boy, or the evil nose filter guy. I didn't care about their individual goals (mainly because they weren't very clear). I didn't care about characters dying, and I didn't care about the revelation at the end; the only indicator that I had that it was important was her somewhat awed reaction.

To be fair, Milla Jovovich has an incredible face and body and is well-suited for fight scenes. If all-CGI, all-the-time is your thing, then you'll be thrilled with the loads of glossed-over fight scenes involving Milla and hordes of green screen baddies. If you're like our entire theater, you're bored. Really, fake fights just don't impress me.

Great imagination and visual style, but unjustly compared to bigger movies

Author: burpingcat from Florida, USA
4 March 2006

The worst part about Ultraviolet is that it has THREE genres of movies to compete with. People will compare it to the blockbusters of Sci-Fi movies, Martial Arts movies, and Heroine movies. It will have a tough time trying to stand out when people will inevitably compare it to HUGE movies like Crouching Tiger, The Matrix, Kill Bill, Underworld, etc.

Let's remember that Ultraviolet had a relatively small budget, and yet it did quite a bit with it. With all that said, let me say a few words, good and bad ones, on Ultraviolet.

Yes, the story in Ultraviolet is its weakest point. The problem is in the lack of emotional attachment to the characters, the odd choice and delivery of lines (although you can't deny how great the "It is on." line is), and the strange dream-like stuff it goes into at times.

A lot of the themes in this movie are very fleeting, maybe because they've just been done so often, they need no emphasis. There's one particular story element that you might miss ENTIRELY if you didn't pay attention during one shot. That's how little emphasis there is on story in this movie. The plot is also a little hard to follow at times because it jumps around.

It's strange to see so little emphasis on the story when we know from Equilibrium that Kurt Wimmer is very capable of writing a good story. It makes me wonder if the lack of story was intentional or not, but the unfortunate bottom line is that it hurts this movie.

So what saves this movie? Why 8 out of 10? If we were interested in movies only for their story, we wouldn't be interested in movies at all...we would all read books instead.

Yes, a movie is defined as picture and sound. In that case, Ultraviolet is quite an amazingly interesting picture and sound.

Ultraviolet sacrifices story for a very visceral picture and oodles of style. I haven't seen a movie that looks this COOL in a long time. It really reminds me of the type of style that 60's sci-fi movies were going for- very robust in color and costumes, but modernized and expanded for our time. It's certainly a very nice departure from the typical and BORING space station/stainless steel/green look of modern sci-fi.

The action is kick-ass, applause-worthy at times...although I'll admit that I've seen a bit better from similarly-budgeted movies ("Versus" comes to mind). They could've had some more variety to it (like maybe some better/badder foes), but considering who and what they were working with, I think they did a good job.

Another big strength of the movie is the very cool concepts. Color-changing outfits, gravity belts, disposable paper cellphones, crazy ninjas that drop out of planes like giant pinballs, and entire weapon arsenals stored in wrist devices. All of it with designer-quality fashion to it. You can tell where the budget went in this movie. Like I said, it's an older, weirder, more stylish sense of sci-fi that you don't see very often these days. In fact, a lot of this movie can be defined as set-pieces more so than a single flowing experience.

True, their ability to execute some of these ideas (specifically, the motorcycle chase) is limited by their budget. I think it can be overlooked, though. Some rough edges on CG never hurt anybody...anybody that wants to whine about the graphics really doesn't want to appreciate the movie for what it is.

Overall, I enjoyed this movie, more so for its visuals, music, concepts and set-pieces than for its story or characters. It's really quite interesting to look at. There are more moments in this movie that make me think 'awesome!' than in all of The Matrix trilogy. If this movie isn't a success, then I hope it at least inspires the movie that does get this particular formula just right.

Definitely not Equilibrium

Author: ultraelite from United States
5 March 2006

Kurt Wimmer who wrote and directed Equilibrium, which imho is a great movie, failed miserably to repeat his former success. The idea's behind the movie had visible potential but unfortunately the execution was extremely poor. Bad acting, a confusing and altogether nonsensical story line, and most of all bad writing really killed this one for me. This movie seemed more like a commercial for CGI than anything else. The CGI however was excellent (except for the last scene, I guess they ran out of money)and probably the most interesting part of the movie. The action which is why I saw the movie suffered from repetition: from the characters, to the setups (Violet is being attacked when she is out-numbered), to the moves, unnecessary sword fighting when they have guns with bullets, unnecessarily repetitive situations (big circle everyone attacks at once and violet wins with ease no challenging battle), and a lack of depth. Kurt really missed the mark, better luck next time.

Like a German techno video with badly translated Japanese one-liners for dialogue... only less coherent.

Author: Steph-3 from United States
5 March 2006

I had hopes for this movie based on the trailer, but it turned out to be one of the worst I've ever seen.

The special effects range from mediocre to kinda cool, but the plot is too sketchy and absurd to justify their existence. Milla Jovovich's hair and jacket change colors for no discernible reason throughout the film. I think the pretty colors are supposed to distract us from the incoherent script, but it doesn't work. The Sky Captain-style post-processing just makes everything look blurry. (And why is it applied to only half the shots?) Just about everything in this movie is borrowed from something else, and it's slapped together on the thinnest of premises and tarted up with lots of CGI. When there's a break from the ridiculously-choreographed action sequences, the audience is bludgeoned with nonsensical subplots and indescribably awful dialogue. By the time the heroine met the villain in their final showdown, the audience in my theater was laughing out loud.

If you appreciate Milla Jovovich's body, it might be possible to enjoy this film by renting the DVD and watching it with the sound off and your techno MP3 collection blaring in the background while you do something productive, like picking the gunk out from beneath your toenails. Or you could spare yourself the pain and just get The Fifth Element instead.

Wait for the director's cut!

Author: metalhead7321
8 March 2006

The film Ultraviolet is a great premise and has some props here and there but it's a near complete failure of a film. WHY? Because of the studio that green light this movie. Information has been exposed that writer/director Kurt Wimmer's vision of the film was cut by the studio by over 30 minutes, 30 minutes that are actually very important to the story, characters and action. So wait for this film to come out on DVD, because the shorten 88 minute verison of the film will totally disappoint everyone. Give this film a chance, when the director's cut comes out, I will Milla Jovovich was very sexy and bad ass in this film, hopefully she will continue to do such films.

Errrrr.... What?

Author: Tim Machin from United Kingdom
3 April 2006

It is a little difficult to imagine why this film was released in its current form. It has some potential, the action sequences look a little mundane as we have seen it all before but they are quick and effective. The story is quirky enough to be interesting and some of the backdrops look good.

The problem is, Ultraviolet neither makes sense nor holds together as a film. Huge chunks of action and story seem to have been lost on the cutting room floor. The film is left overloaded with the expensive bits that had already been paid for. Lots of sweeping city-scapes and shots of Mila walking down corridors don't make a film.

It reminds me of other Japanese live action Manga smash-ups (See Kasshern etc). The problem is that Japanese films have every right not to make sense and be completely over the top, as it is what they do best. Unfortunately, due to a westernised need for slight reality, Hollywood have attempted same thing and ended up with a cheap looking film with a poor script stuck together with a bunch of crap one liners.

Depends on your taste

Author: cybereaper from United States
11 March 2006

Personally, I love Milla. Even in this, she's still Milla. She's hot, she's fit and she handles the 'tough' role well. I hold the director responsible for bringing it all together. Personally, I didn't 'dislike' this movie. It reminds me of Doom. With the right budget, the right director and time, it could have been the best film of the year. Otherwise, it will leave you feeling like something's been left out. What I liked was the fact I went for a cheesy, mass-action, campy, comic-book/video game movie. I expected fighting, explosions, gratuitous scenes with some nudity and a minimal plot. No, this isn't plot intensive like Silent Hill. (Again, an underlying feature that could have been better handled). So, if you're like me, and you enjoy seeing Milla do her thang, faceless soldiers being under mass slaughter and needless, gratuitous violence, then this is the film for you. Of course, I look for this type of movie only once per year. Just as a break from everything else. The quota has been filled!

Need to add negative option to the voting process

Author: distewart-1 from Canada
5 March 2006

Well I have officially wasted 88mins of my life on a movie. I have always been open minded to movies. Some have bad acting, errors... etc. I try to put myself into the mind of a lead character and live the movie, turning my mind off to enjoy what's on the screen. I sat down with my popcorn to enjoy a movie that I could care if it had a plot. I was in a mood to see action. Well...... I can't even say I was impressed with even that. This movie had the entire theatre sitting there with a deer in the headlights expression and we all were thinking WTF???? Those that I did know there said they couldn't leave because, like me, they thought it had to get better... We were wrong. I would love to be vindictive and tell everyone to go see this movie. I wasted my money and time... why should I be alone in that. Truthfully, I can't be that mean to even my most hated enemy. If you are going for any reason... at least Milla looks good in her outfits, and the outfits are cool.

You have to see it on DVD to truly see it right

Author: bfblueeyes from United States
1 August 2006

The theater version cut out too much. You have to get the DVD version to truly see how it was meant to be seen.

After putting in the disc, there is a secret code you have to enter to enable the full viewing. First select special features. You will see a couple of menu options. You have to go to the option called "Commentary with Mila Jovovich", and then select on. Then return to the main menu and start the movie.

I did this, and I have never laughed so hard.

If you had any trouble understanding the intensely deep flowery poetry that made up most of the dialog in the movie, you will be relieved at how simple Mila makes it for you in the commentary with lines like "This part was so unbelievable. I mean, it was just something like so out there, and so hard to believe. It was difficult to believe, and so it was so unbelievable." or "Woooooooooooooo! Kachew! Kachew!" At times, Mila may seem to go silent for 5 minutes or so. Don't worry, it isn't your DVD player. Mila is just waiting for something to happen in the movie so that she can talk about. Later on she will fill these dead spots with more "Wooooooo! and Kachew Kachew Kachew!'s".

There is even some cameo commentary from her two maltese dogs (or something like that) that she brought with her. They bark with cute little "yip yips!", and then Mila takes some time to coddle and coo over them while the movie continues in the background.

She does her best to try to remember what the director told her about each scene and what was going on. She really loves Flatspace technology. I mean REALLY loves it. You have no idea how much she wants Flatspace technology.

Page 1 of 83:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]