IMDb > The Sea Inside (2004/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Mar adentro

The Sea Inside More at IMDbPro »Mar adentro (original title)

Page 8 of 14: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

A fascinating movie

Author: abum190 from United States
5 June 2006

It's amazing how wonderfully Javier Bardem portrays Ramón Sampedro in this touching movie about the quadriplegic Spaniard's fight for the right to die. This is a man who has resigned himself to his condition but in the process has gained the passion for dying, and yet he still cannot help but care about the lives of those around him. This is a flawed man, but an essentially good one who only wants dignity and sees that the only way to obtain it is through dying. Javier Bardem is Ramón Sampedro fully and completely and it is a joy to watch him work.

The movie itself is also very good; it makes clear Ramón's beliefs, but seems to insist that this is his case and not that of all quadriplegics. Others may feel differently about living in this condition, but this film is a chronicle of Ramón's feelings about the situation. It does not take a stand on the issue itself but instead shows you this man's plight and the sound reasons behind his plans to undo it; in doing that, the movie challenges its audience to think for themselves and consider what they might have done in Sampedro's place.

It is a sad and emotional movie, but there is also humor and joy to be found here too. Though it feels long at points, I recommend this movie to anyone interested in this subject or Javier Bardem's acting. It is a wonderful display of both.

Beautiful acting, gorgeous concept

Author: tacchino from Helsinki, Finland
5 April 2006

Alejandro Amenàbar is not one of the most famous directors out there but surely in the top 20 in skills. Mare adentro is a spectacular story (true story they say) about Ramon, which is paralyzed to a bed and suffers, at least in his opinion, a not so honorable life.

His life though is very full with colours and the only thing keeping him down is his paralization.

Now, since i don't want to spoil anything and since my English isn't what you may call good, i end my ridiculously short comment by saying that the movie is one of the best European movies ever made. Surely it has some lacks, for example the not so clear moral image and little other things but if you seek something to fill your night with simple joys of life, this is the movie you are looking for.

A very emotional, well-made film.

Author: JosephLee411 from my local movie theatre
25 February 2006

The Joe Cool Review: Mar adentro(The Sea Inside)(2004)

Starring: Javier Bardem as Ramón Sampedro, Belén Rueda as Julia, Lola Dueñas as Rosa and Mabel Rivera as Manuela Sampedro

Plot: A man who has been a quadriplegic for twenty eight years wants to die and fights for his right to be euthanized. The story focuses on all the various opinions of his family and friends and outsiders as he just wants to die with dignity. Based on a real-life story.

Openers: First of all, this is either the most depressing or the most inspiring movie I've seen in a very very long time. I'm not quite sure. I'm not going to get into my views of euthanasia, because that would make this review somewhat biased. I'm just concerned with the movie itself.

The Good: Which, it was a fantastically done movie. You feel an emotional bond with a large portion of the characters, and regardless of your own views you'll find yourself seeing why they have the point of view that they do. For example, his brother does *not* want him to commit suicide. He gives reasons like that he would shame the family but you know it's because he loves him and doesn't want to lose him. This tension provides some of the more emotional moments of the movie. The acting here was extremely well done. You wouldn't think it'd take a whole lot to play a quadriplegic, but Javier Bardem does very well and makes you connect with his character, a man who had a wonderful life but had everything take a turn for the worst. The supporting cast all play their roles well, with Belén Rueda as Julia being the most sympathetic, as she has a terminal illness which causes her to suffer almost as much as Ramon.

The Bad: There's not much wrong with the production of this movie per se. I would have appreciated more development of some of the minor characters that took care of Ramon, like Manuela. She seemed to be just there and her opinions or back story weren't explored enough for my liking. The movie is also depressing but that's not a flaw really. Just helps with the emotion.

The Ugly: The priest character was very annoying. That was his purpose of course but damn I hate people with their own agendas who feel it's their right to interfere with the lives of others. He did help in providing a humorous moment in the movie(and for a movie like this there practically had to be some humor, in my opinion).

Final Verdict: The Sea Inside is a very well done movie with both an emotional story and developed characters who the viewer will bond with very quickly. For a movie about a guy who wants to commit suicide, it actually has a healthy dose of humor and romance in addition to the main story, which only helps it. I highly recommend this one.

Rating: ****1/2 of *****

As if

Author: Raul Faust from Joinville, Brazil
31 July 2013

You know, I usually try my best to feel any interest for the movie I'm watching. However, "Mar adentro" simply couldn't keep me entertained for more than an hour; first, I feel it's too monotone, it's just Ramon talking about random stuff all the time. Second, there isn't a single likable character for you to be connected with. I agree that the subject is interesting and provocative, but this film is, sadly, bad executed. I don't know if it's director's fault, but it seems to be that the writer is the guilty one. I must admit I left this movie before it reached one hour, since I couldn't feel any interest to what could happen next-- and that's a rare thing that I do. So, in conclusion and in my point of view, "Mar Adentro" is a badly executed movie with a good subject, that's why I dislike it. Please don't hate on me.

The Sea Inside (2004)

Author: SnakesOnAnAfricanPlain from United Kingdom
13 December 2011

A very interesting topic is not served well in this overwrought dull drama. I love films that question morality and humanity. However, I don't want a bunch of people arriving and just discussion their feelings/emotions. If that's the case, a documentary would have been much more fitting. Bardem's performance is a thing of beauty, and the main recipient of the the 2 and a half stars I give it. Obviously, due to his condition, he isn't going to get out and about. In saying that, the most memorable moments are those out of the bedroom. The accident, the imaginary flying, the courtroom scenes etc. In one way it emphasized his desire to die, and how his life was kept in this one room, but it didn't make an interesting film.

mar adentro overrated film

Author: davidonfilm from Netherlands
28 November 2008

I just saw Mar Ardentro and felt that I had to comment on this film. Euthanasia is a difficult topic in any field and unfortunately is can sometimes distort the true value of a movie. Many people have raved about the excellent cast and it's beautiful imagery/camera-work. Certainly Javier Bardem is an actor that brings something extra to each film he makes. To say that he encompasses the real Sampredo is a little silly since I don't think that any of the reviewers have known Sampredo personally. To lie still and use a certain charm is a acting skill that although well performed doesn't constitute a 'perfect' performance. Bardem just does what he does well...and that's it. The camera-work is beautiful and evokes feelings and perspectives that the movie itself lacks to deliver. Sampredo here is shown as a man that is bend on dying so much that he leaves his loving family behind and marries a woman that he only seeks out when the other will not help him in his quest for a dignified death. Now I'm not here to say anything about the right for or against euthanasia. The problem is that when commenting movies like this you can hardly escape it. The movie's subject is so strong that you're almost compelled to discuss the movie in that strong subject matter. I find it a weakness for the movie -unintentionally- portrays Sampredo as a unsymphatetic character. Someone who is much smarter then his family as portrayed in the simple cousin that doesn't "get" the double layered poem directed towards him. Someone who will leave a loving and caring family because HE thinks his life is undignified. A scene that is juxtaposed to the female lawyer who according to the movie makes the "wrong" choice ending up in a far state of dementia thus indicating that Sampredo's choice was the right one. The woman that constantly seeks him out is almost disregarded for the beautiful lawyer but suddenly is married by Sampredo when she agrees to help him die. These choices make Sampredo into a calculated figure no matter how charming Bardem portrays him. Argumentive I would say it doesn't convince fully and I kinda think that Amenabar didn't intend on adding this unbalanced element in his film. For a young director it's still an impressive film and it certainly has it's strong moments (the discussion between the priest and Sampredo for instance). The camera-work IS impressive and the film is well acted. But 10 out of 10...no the movie doesn't reach that excellence.

Solid, but unoriginal

Author: Zamolxe from Bucharest, Romania
29 December 2005

Mar adentro is a serious film about euthanasia. That pretty much says it all. If you've never given the subject much thought, you should check out this one as it draws a textbook example of the moral dilemma, clearly taking sides with the protagonist.

If, however, you have thought about this subject (maybe even seen a movie or too about it) and have a clear answer to the problem, there will be no moral revelations here.

Substance notwithstanding, the film definitely has style on its side, drawing magnificent portraits of the Galician landscape and an excellent performance out of star Javier Bardem.

probably the best manifestation of the struggle between life and death

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
1 June 2005

"Mar adentro" (called "The Sea Inside" in English) tells the true story of Ramon Sampedro (Javier Bardem), who was incapacitated in a diving accident when he was very young. He was forced to spend the rest of his life bed-ridden. Sampedro finally decided that he wished for them to end his life so that he would not have to go on suffering. Naturally, there was a controversy about this.

However, the movie focuses more on Sampedro's relationships with his loved ones, and looked at who supported his decision and who didn't. Seeing how he suffered, it is impossible not to sympathize with his desires. The movie is also important because it brings up the whole issue of when it is acceptable to take a life.

Noble

Author: kevin shi (shihaijiang142@msn.com) from ShangHai, China
15 May 2005

The film all focused on death (a fearful word). But after I finished watching the movie, I was not depressed but high-spirited. Life is precious indeed. But how to live is the point. Without experience, I cannot know how painful Ramon felt. But according to my knowledge, paralysation is definitely a horrible disease. Death became his tireless pursuing, after Ramon made up his mind.

As time passed, Remond never gave up his faith. In fact Ramon love his family very much. Just look at his parting from his brother's house in the end. That really was heart-breaking moment. Nobody can deny it.

Finally Ramon realized his dream. I felt happy for him. I really respect Ramon's choice. Everyone should have the right to decide one's life.

The film fully deserved the best foreign film (Oscar). Javier Bardem played Ramon so good that if he had won the Oscar award (best actor) I would not be surprised. Humorous, charming, firm Ramon is impressive.

Ramon, you will always be in my heart. 9/10

empowering, thoughtful

Author: John Frame (johnvframe@yahoo.com) from Brisbane, Australia
21 April 2005

I went to see this film with some caution - having recently cared for my terminally ill father. Javier Bardem brings great humour, strength and dignity to his role. We do share his character's awareness of the joys in life and empathise with his decision that he's clearly had enough of what life had to offer him. I certainly shed tears during "The Sea Inside", but not at the end. My experience of being with my father as he died was reflected with remarkable accuracy on the screen - the major difference being that my father had to endure two weeks of being unable to eat and days of morphine-eased suffering before his inevitable passing.

"The Sea Inside" shows there is the potential for great beauty and joy in life, and nothing to fear in death. The audience is forced to consider there own attitudes to the right to leave this life with minimum pain and with maximum dignity. It's also a very beautiful looking film, with some scenes that literally take your breath away.

Page 8 of 14: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]