IMDb > The Sea Inside (2004/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Mar adentro

The Sea Inside More at IMDbPro »Mar adentro (original title)

Page 6 of 14: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Great drama that doesn't get swamped by fake sentiment

Author: The_Void from Beverley Hills, England
29 June 2005

This sort of movie isn't my thing at all. Normally these dramas are draped in fake sentiment and it leaves me feeling very queasy to say the least. However, I found myself with high hopes for this one because it's directed by one of today's best new directors; Alejandro Amenábar, and after seeing his debut; Tesis, along with the follow-up's Open Your Eyes and The Others, it's obvious that this man knows his stuff. For a movie that deals with the subject of euthanasia, you've got to expect a degree of sentiment; and this movie certainly has more just a degree of it, but the sentiment is never overdone and Amenábar never looks like he's manipulating the audience into the plight of the protagonist. This is the difference between this film; one told by a talented auteur, and the rush of sentiment dramas helmed by auteur's who are less than talented. Amenábar simply presents the plight, gives you a wealth of viewpoints, and it is then up to you to make your mind up about what you think. When it comes to the genuinely touching moments, therefore, we care because we WANT to care, and not because the movie is being forced down our throats.

The story is that of Ramón Sampedro, a real-life Spanish man who fought a 30-year campaign for the right to end his life. As you would expect from a story of this nature, the film raises many questions about the value of life and whether it is worth living a life without dignity. The film plays out with a real life-affirming vigour, and there are several instances in the film that really will make you think. If a film can make you look at your own life and get you thinking about important issues, it's obvious that it's doing something right. The film is very bleak in it's approach, but this is offset by the uplifting way that we are able to see the character. Even though his biggest wish is to end his life; we get behind him, and wanting our hero to die is a strange situation for an audience to be in. Javier Bardem gives a great performance as the unfortunate victim, and he heads a very believable cast of actors that give it their all and help to make the film the success that it is. Despite the greatness of this movie, I really would like to see Amenábar return to horror-thrillers for his next flick; but at least he's proved that he can do other types of films too.

Beautiful movie about life ...

Author: Anariel from Madrid
5 April 2005

OK, I didn't see this movie until the weekend before the Oscars (thanks to a DVD courtesy of Sogecable, one of the enterprises which produced the Sea Inside. And, now, I think that it was a pity that I hadn't see it before. It has a tremendous directing(chapeau!, for Mr Amenábar), great, great,great acting(of every member of the cast, specially, Bardem, Dueñas, Mabel Ribera and Joan Dalmau), and a wonderful use of music (The pieces played by Carlos Nuñez made me feel that I was there, and the same could be said of that magic use of Puccini's ''Nessun Dorma'', and Luz Casal's ''Negra Sombra'')

And now, we enter in spoiler zone, so, read it at your own risk.... . .. ..... .....

My favorite scenes where: the one in which Ramón dreams that he flies and goes to the beach to meet Julia , and the scene in which Ramón says Goodbye to her sister-in-law and to her nephew (I cried a lot in that) .....

A movie worth watching, that won't leave you indifferent

An exemplified answer

Author: tributarystu from Timisoara, Romania
6 March 2005

Thinking of the movie as a question poser is a wrong perspective, the way I see it. Mainly because what makes it different and like worthy are storytelling and characters as well as Amenabar's mastery of camera and sound, not the subject being debated.

A definite gem is the film's title. So conclusive yet elusive in its nature, that it can but ignite a spark of interest. Mar Adentro, or The Sea Inside, is a strikingly poetic title, that doesn't only reveal part of the essence of life, but also part of its protagonist, played breathtakingly impressive by Javier Bardem.

The film itself, despite being a film about death, is filled with life - an amazing paradox which elevates it past melodramatic puddles. Few things are more beautiful than seeing some of the contemporary Spanish and South American film directors at work: on one side of the barricade such as Almodovar and Cuaron, on the other Innaritu. Different styles, with Amenabar reaching toward the first two.

Amenábar's Masterpiece

Author: Petr Zemek (petrmaster@volny.cz) from Czech Republic
22 March 2005

First of all I must say that Alejandro Amenábar is one of my favorite directors, so my assessment can be affected by this. But nevertheless, Thesis was such a nice movie with great story and plot, so was The Others with unforgettable Nicole Kidman, and now comes here his last movie. When you are watching it, you are living through Ramon's life, you feel everything what he feels and sense what he senses. This excellent movie is about understanding others, their opinions and their solicitude. And in the end you will be just sitting and through your mind will flow many thoughts, which will change your point of view in the world of a simple, but extraordinary man. Ramón Sampedro.

Really worth watching... (10/10)

Am I really supposed to feel sorry for this guy?

Author: Lady_Schwartz from USA
20 July 2006

I saw this film in my writing class. Before I continue, I'd like to state that I'm undecided on assisted suicide, my review is not a bigoted review made to attack the movie for its message.

The reason I dislike this film is that it is very smug especially the ending of the film. I felt that it was made to belittle others who disagree with assisted suicide. A film with a strong political message needs sympathetic characters on both sides. Ramon, the main character, is not very sympathetic in my opinion. I found that he was very snotty and ungrateful for other people (Rosa, his brother). If he really wants to be respected for his opinion, the least he could do is to respect the opinions of other people.

I feel that the film forces the main character on the viewers instead of allowing him to prove himself alone. Yes, it's great to have a likable main character, but this movie just overdoes it. Ramon is never wrong and Ramon never pays for his rude behavior. In fact, it seems as if everyone is apologizing to him for his rude comments.

The film was a good idea, but it just didn't work for me.

Heartbreaking

Author: FreakRenegade
4 November 2015

I always try to to be objective when I watch a movie, regardless of my point of view and what I believe. This film deals with an important topic, delicate, in my humble opinion with great delicacy, and objectivity, without falling into banality or in rhetoric.. Javier B. gives a remarkable performance, touching, funny, fickle, difficult to play a role as her, to be honest. Heartbreaking letter to his son, I have the words that he uses to explain the pain he feels in not being able to move. The director goes on all fronts: the writer friend who change your mind, where fear makes it so human, although to be so contrary equal to him, Rose loves without asking anything in return, because it is this love, the brother in order not to lose it comes to trying to hate him, and father torn by grief that he could not do anything .... You stop to think about "I, what would I do?" I think it's an answer that you can not ever give ... .. The movie I liked a lot, I cried If you can watch it, leaving aside personal opinions, you will not regret and a good movie.

Sorry for Bad English

Javier Bardem shines in this powerful and very moving drama.

Author: yeltzmanmatt from Birmingham, England
12 July 2015

The Sea Inside is the true story of a paraplegic who fights for the right to die.

Despite the depressing subject matter this is an often uplifting story. There are plenty of comedic moments that stop seeming a gloomy tale at all. Javier Bardem is brilliant as the paraplegic Ramon. He doesn't play for pity and Ramon comes across as a likable and funny guy who happens to be left in a position he just cannot cope with. Although sympathetic to his character Bardem isn't afraid to also portray other sides to his character. This makes it more real and means the audience can identify with the character.

The supporting cast are great and I especially liked the performance of Lola Duenas as the lonely woman looking to befriend him.

The ending is handled well and very emotional so get the hankies ready. I rarely watch films again within a year of watching them the first time but I couldn't help watch it again a couple of months later.

For those that don't mind subtitles and enjoy some quality emotional drama this is a real treat.

The controversial subject matters means that it won't be for all audiences, but if you go in with an open mind you'll find a rewarding film that's well worth watching

Author: jimbo-53-186511 from United Kingdom
31 May 2015

The Sea Inside is a fact based story of ship mechanic Ramon Sampedro (Javier Bardem) who has spent close to 30 years fighting to earn the right to die with dignity after he was rendered a quadriplegic following a diving accident.

One thing that's refreshing about this film is that it didn't feel like a heavy-handed propaganda piece; this film basically just gives the audience an account and also an insight into Ramon's life (post accident). To me the film never felt manipulative, preachy, or sappy and for the most part we're just observing Ramon explaining why he wants to end his life. The screenplay is written in such a way that we're given perspectives from individuals who both support Ramon and are against Ramon, but again neither aspect is heavy-handed and it's all just very beautiful as a whole.

The dream sequences provide us with some very impressive visuals, but they also exist to develop Ramon's character; here we have a man whose body is trapped, but his mind is very much free. If we stick with character development then one could also say that it was a good move to give us a bit of back story for Ramon - we're not given much, but there's enough given to make us emotionally involved.

Another benefit of good character development and wonderful insight is that when I watched Ramon I didn't pity him as a person, but I pitied his predicament. I can't imagine what it must be like to lead an active life and then to find yourself bed bound and unable to move for 20 odd years. Although the film has pro and anti Euthanasia perspectives throughout its running time, it never over does either aspect and it will certainly leaves the viewer with a lot to think about when the film ends.

If you've got an open mind then this is well worth checking out.

Beautiful Story

Author: gavin6942 from United States
30 January 2015

The factual story of Spaniard Ramon Sampedro (Javier Bardem), who fought a thirty-year campaign in favor of euthanasia and his own right to die. The film explores Ramón's relationships with two women: Julia, a lawyer suffering from Cadasil syndrome, who supports his cause, and Rosa, a local woman who wants to convince him that life is worth living.

The film is directed by Alejandro Amenábar, who had previously made "Open Your Eyes" and "The Others". This is clearly the most critically acclaimed of the three, but there is no denying that he was consistently releasing great films.

"The Sea Inside" won the 2004 Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film, the 2004 Golden Globe for Best Foreign Language Film, and 14 Goya Awards. Well deserved, and further pushing Javier Bardem into the role of international star.

Good biopic

Author: SnoopyStyle
12 April 2014

Ramón Sampedro (Javier Bardem) became a quadriplegic and ends up battling for the right to die in Spain for 30 years. Julia (Belén Rueda) is a lawyer who helps him in this fight and they fall in love. He befriends Rosa (Lola Dueñas) with her kids. She wants him to live.

It's a biopic from director Alejandro Amenábar. I love the scenes where Ramón argue with Padre Francisco. Those scenes are electric. It's a movie that needs the conflicts. Javier Bardem is stationary most of the time and it's harder to generate physical energy. He does do some imaginary sequences where he gets up and even flies. They don't really excite me as much. This movie reminds me very much of "Whose Life Is It Anyway?" I wish there are more anger and more conflicts in the movie.