IMDb > Hopalong Cassidy: Public Hero #1 (2001) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Hopalong Cassidy: Public Hero #1 (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Charming trip back to my childhood hero

Author: ejprice from Los Angeles, California
20 January 2004

Very well done documentary. With Dennis Weaver narrating and Hoppy's wife adding insider information I found this man was very dedicated to image for the good of children who followed him. I will never forget those days at the Strand Theater in Redondo Beach when a quarter gave me a whole days entertainment and many times Hoppy was on the bill. When the lights went down I was wisked to a magic world of cowboys where good guys wore white and the bad guys wore black. You knew the good guys would win and Hoppy would always close with a smile. After fifty years those days are still as clear as ever. The strand is gone now as is the fable of black and white but thank goodness that one time in america there was a Hop-Along Cassidy!

I miss Mr. Boyd, the Strand and innocense.

Kind of Nice

Author: Robert J. Maxwell (rmax304823@yahoo.com) from Deming, New Mexico, USA
11 June 2004

It's a surprisingly pleasant documentary about William Boyd's character of Hopalong Cassidy. There are interviews with his wife and some fans, like Bill Cosby, but none with Boyd himself because he didn't do them -- out of modesty, not out of egomania. He did public service announcements -- "Don't play with guns. They hurt people." (Hoppy, where are you when we need you?) "The highest badge of honor a person can wear is honesty."

I don't remember any of his movies but have some vague recollection of his TV series. The guy never seemed to age. And this is one of those benign biographies in which the guy is painted as pleasant and honorable all over. Nothing here about a closet full of pantyhose or anything. But the admiring picture seems to have been rather accurate, or at least that's the impression we're left with after sifting the material presented. It's hard to criticize him, just as it's hard to criticize Roy Rogers. On a personal tour, for instance, Boyd refused to appear at a Southern theater until the waiting lines were desegregated. And that was before such acts were PC.

Boyd quit his TV series when he felt it was getting stale and rode quietly off into the sunset. He'd had a pretty good life.

Hopalong was the best!

Author: DJ5724623 from United States
21 October 2005

Where is Hopalong and Gabby today when we really need them? I have just watched Hopalong Cassidy:Public Hero #1, for the 4th or 5th time. I still get a tear or two in my eyes when I watch it. I sorta grew up watching his movies, and agree with his premise about being a fellow man to all. He was just plain good and all the things he did were good. Today we don't have that kind of hero.He along with others like him, Gene Autry, and Roy Rogers were the live heroes of their day, and gave us credos to follow, to bad we don't have them today. I would really like to see this production on a prime time, major TV network, so maybe the rest of the population who don't have cable TV, could see it, and realize what a great man he was.

Grace Boyd - Lovely lady

Author: malcolm-webb from London England
18 December 2009

Grace Boyd - what a charming,lovely lady recalling personal experiences of her life as wife of William Boyd. In the fifties, " Hoppy " was a favourite on TV here in the UK, and I always enjoyed his brief chat to the kiddie audience at the end of the show. " Look both ways when you get to the kerbside, and don't forget to go to Sunday school !" I always hankered after a Hopalong Cassidy wrist watch but my parents did not have the money back then. Boyd's films were a regular feature at the Saturday morning picture show held at my local cinema the Palace in Eltham south London. Hoppy's code is as relevant now as it was 60 years ago. This TV tribute makes excellent viewing. Is Mrs. Boyd still with us ? I do hope so - she is a delight to watch in this documentary.