IMDb > "House Hunters" (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"House Hunters" More at IMDbPro »

Spoiled Brats

Author: leaselee from United States
14 June 2008

In general, is anyone else sick and tired of all these WHINEY rich kids whose Mommy and Daddy are obviously paying for the houses these spoiled brats are "buying" on this show?

My husband and I are both professionals raising two children, and BARELY getting by, while these snotty twenty-somethings are on the show "buying" houses that they cannot possibly afford. Does House Hunters have something against real, working families, or are these spoiled kids all part of the House Hunters extended family (producers, writers, executives etc):

In closing, please put some real people with real incomes on your show to at least give it a modicum of reality. Enough is enough of couples who are "musicians" or "artists" or "party planners" or other such nonsense.

Join the REAL world!!!

Always entertaining...

Author: Neil Doyle from U.S.A.
24 November 2010

Especially when you get to see the interiors of so many differently styled homes, some with breathtaking oceanfront views or distant mountains and valleys providing the terrace with eye candy.

What gets me is the insistence that no kitchen is complete or saleable without granite counter-top, that every home has to have at least three bathrooms, that a master bedroom is too small if it's anything less than 14' x 18', and that any room featuring wallpaper is an absolute no no.

Interesting too, to see couples (interracial, hetero or gay) viewing the properties together, some couples looking about as ill-matched as you could possibly imagine but obviously each couple totally committed to living together indefinitely in homes that range from 200,000 to 1.5 million of U.S. dollars, and often basing their decisions on how big the yard is for their beloved dog or how safe the yard is to accommodate kids and pets when it lacks a proper fence.

Even more fascinating is House Hunters International which shows the vast difference in standards between European and American real estate markets, along with some gorgeous scenery in exotic settings which compensates (sometimes) for a certain lack of craftsmanship in utilities.

Fun show

Author: blanche-2 from United States
26 August 2007

"House Hunters" is a great show on HGTV with a simple concept - house hunters look at three homes and choose one, discussing the pros and cons in between. Hosted by the lovely Suzanne Wong, there is something very involving about this show and some other HGTV offerings, such as Designed to Sell, Buy Me, and How Much is My House Worth.

I think it's the couch potato aspect combined with fantasy that works well for this show and others on the network. We can pick our own favorite house and then say things like, "I knew they'd pick that one," or "They're idiots" when they choose, and we can also discuss how much money we think they have while asking the age-old question, "What is the big deal with hardwood floors and granite countertops?" (Without them, your house may as well go into foreclosure.) And we can listen to them carp about the color of the rooms - as if they aren't willing to paint. When the home owners are revisited in the new place later, we are able to analyze their taste. This all easily replaces looking out the window while the new neighbors are moving in.

The house hunters themselves are usually delightful people with whom the audience identifies, though not only. Many of them have pets, and if they don't, they usually acquire them once they move. So one can ooh and ah over babies and puppies. HGTV is onto a good thing.

Full of Endless Complaining

Author: nicholas-179-871862 from Australia
28 December 2015

I have now seen a few episodes of this show, and at first I thought, 'I'll watch at least 10 episodes before making a judgment.'

Well, here is the judgment.

Each episode contains a family looking for a house. Sounds like a good idea. But where it falls apart is the people.

They endlessly complain about the most trivial details.

Two of my least favourite quotes from a family on this show are: "I don't like the basement" "I don't like dining rooms. They're a waste of space." In response to the first quote, just don't go to the basement! In response to the second quote, this is a dining room, a deeply rooted convention.

But what makes these complaints even worse is that these houses are incredibly expensive. People, you have the opportunity to buy an expensive house. Be even a tiny bit grateful!

In summary, this show is full of endless complaints.

I wish I could rate this negative with all the being of my soul. 0/10!

EDIT: The exact same can be said for House Hunters International.

Quit Whining Already

Author: holly-rock from United States
26 February 2009

My friend TIVOs this show so I am subjected to it every time I visit. Will somebody please tell these annoying crybabies to shut the flock up already? For God's sake, people are losing their homes every day and all they do on this show is hiss and moan about the counter tops, the paint, the appliances...You have all this money to buy an otherwise really great house and you are worried that the stove isn't pretty enough? Hello, here is a scientific breakthrough--wait for Home Depot to have one of its no interest for 12 months deals and get the one you want. Oh, the family room is too small! You know what is small and uncomfortable? The tent cities that once-proud homeowners are forced to live in now.