IMDb > Sleepover (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Oh My God...

Author: I_can_get_you_a_toe from Earth
26 April 2006

I was recently sick with the flu and unable to move from the bed and because the movie channel repeats movies a certain amount of times in a twenty four hour period I ended up watching this movie 3 times.

It was the worst day of my entire life. If you wanted you could fashion a drinking game out of this movie - take a shot for every teen cliché they try to throw in (it comes to about 1 a minute)There were times when i had to literally squeeze my eyes shut to block out the all the stupidness.

Julie Corky is a fourteen year old girl who is 'blossoming' who complains about how awful her life and parents are because they wont give her a lock for her door, but they will provide her with a big ass house and trips to Hawaii - they're monsters i know. She decides to have a sleepover inviting 3 friends over, the redhead, the blonde and the fat chick thrown in to somehow give confidence to all the other fat chicks out there that they can get guys too, albeit chubby ugly guys while the skinny girls get the male models.

The next minute the popular girl (who wont hook up with her high school aged boyfriend - i thought the whole point to having a boyfriend was so you could hook up with him but whatever) is organising a scavenger hunt and as you can imagine, hijinks ensue.

Well the acting was completely awful, mika boreem who usually does so well is so completely wooden in this movie, Alexa Vega is only mildly attractive and unbelievable in the role of Julie Corky, the underage girl who manages to get the hottest senior in high school (and maybe the world) to like her after skateboarding past him in an unflattering semi squat position. The three skater dudes who so obviously have no idea what acting is, every time they are on screen you experience physical pain at having to watch them try to be funny.

After the scavenger hunt they all end up at the high school dance where Julie tries to inspire the girl taking the tickets to let her in by utterly insulting her - let me paraphrase "I know you, you're the loser who has to sit at the dumpster and no one talks to you cos you're so plain and you're the ticket taker at the dance because no one in their right mind would ever consider being with you. ever and if you don't help me i could end up just. like. you"

However this film had only one true intentionally funny part, when the jerk-for-even-thinking-of-kissing-his-girlfriend high school boyfriend and his new girlfriend are trying to win the dance contest, their slow jerky dance movements were the only bright spot in an otherwise idiotic film.

So potential viewers, stay away for the love of god stay away.

About what you'd expect

Author: gromit-14 from Ottawa, Ontario
10 July 2004

I thought this movie was quite enjoyable. It's a bit like a female version of Ferris Bueller, without the destructive male testosterone (the worst thing the girls can expect if caught is not to be able to go on a trip to Hawaii with the family). Even though everything is predictable (the dorky guys who save the day ... more than once, the popular girl getting her comeuppance, the "fat" girl learning to love herself, etc.) you don't seem to mind because the characters are well-developed and so, well, likable. It's not going to challenge you to use your brain much, but for a few hours of fun, this isn't bad. Will appeal especially to pre-teen and teen girls.

A fun "Tween" movie....

Author: GreenRayEnt from Los Angeles, CA
16 May 2005

So many movies nowadays either have young kids acting too old, or old people pretending to be young. Sleepover is just an above average teenie-bopper movie with some really fun moments and nice performances by a talented young cast. This target audience doesn't have a lot of movies to be proud of, but Sleepover can definitely be considered a fun one. All of the performances seemed on the money. Alex Vega (Julie) and Scout Taylor-Compton (Farrah) seemed to shine. There are a couple of very funny scenes from Steve Carell who plays an over-the-top security guard looking to break up the girl's fun. I commend director Joe Nussbaum for tackling a difficult genre and age group, and doing a commendable job with it. Don't rent it expecting anything deep, but it certainly is a good time.

There's a lot worse out there, but only go for Sleepover if you're a tween, the parent of a tween, or perhaps just nostalgic.

Author: Colette Corr from Melbourne, Australia
17 December 2004

Kids are running out of classrooms, shrieking and throwing papers in the air. A pop track pumps while the ubiquitous slow-mo panning camera follows the wannabes watching the popular girls strutting the corridor. That's right, school's out for summer in yet another John Hughes-inspired teen-flick.

You can loathe it, you can tolerate it, but I confess to a secret fondness of the genre. Although it's cluttered with ordinary films, this homogeneity is part of the unique comfort a teen comedy can offer. They're films to watch when you're sick, where bullies get their comeuppance, and moral codes are simpler than in an adult world. And kids enjoy them too.

Sleepover begins with Julie (Alexa Vega) inviting three friends for a slumber party to celebrate graduating from Junior High (Year 8). Of course, her former best friend Staci (Sara Paxton) can't come – she's a teen queen now. Sporting a superior blonde 'Farrah' reminiscent of nasty Caroline (Haviland Morris) in Hughes' Sixteen Candles (1984), you just know that Staci's a bitch with a heart of gold. She and her catty trio of 'Mean Girls' challenge Julie and her buddies to a scavenger hunt. The winners get the coveted lunch spot at high school next year – and the passport to popularity.

Julie, Hannah (Mika Boorem), Farrah (Scout Taylor-Compton) and Yancy (Kallie Flynn Childress) sneak out of the house, avoiding Julie's renovation-mad dad and bribing her slacker brother. They're aided by three irritating Ashton Kutchner-aspirational types, chased by a rent-a-cop and come to rely on a tiny electric car that needs constant recharging. Plus Julie has to steal her secret crush's boxer shorts. Producer Chuck Weinstock came up with the idea of Sleepover because his previous projects were too adult in content for his six and nine-year old children to watch. But there are some edgy aspects in Sleepover that wouldn't have been included in the 1980s teen films it pays homage to. For example, 14-year old Staci has to fend off sexual advances from her high school beau – a rarity for girls that age in Hollywood films, although possibly not in real life. And in a later scene Julie has to persuade her teacher to buy her a drink called "Sex on the Beach" at a nightclub to win the competition. Though these elements are ignored in the broader context of the film, and may be inappropriate, they certainly make Sleepover more interesting.

Although pleasant, Sleepover isn't one of the better examples of the genre. It's a disposable girly tween twist on Ferris Bueller's Day Off, but buoyed by Vega's strong screen presence. You know you shouldn't enjoy it, but you're probably going to. **½/***** stars.

Cute and Corny

Author: littleknight27 from United States
2 October 2006

It took me a long time to see this movie, but I finally did when my sister got it as a gift. Although the movie had its incredibly corny moments, and the plot was obviously written to entertain a preteen audience, I did find the movie enjoyable. There will be times during this movie when you will just have to laugh, and there will be times that you nod as you remember similar antics of your own. The characters are lovable and realistic, even if some of the messes they get into may not be. Granted, there will also be times when you just have to roll your eyes at the cheesiness. Overall, I found the movie very cute and very entertaining;just don't send your boys to watch it.

How did this get made?

Author: Anna from Ontario, Canada
25 August 2005

Oh, dear. Oh, dear. I hardly know where to start.

Sleepover is a typical tween movie: girls go for sleepover, mean girls propose scavenger hunt, hijincks ensue, obligatory make-out scene, etc.

I am close to the 8-to-13-year-old age demographic to which this movie aspires, and even I find it boring and a waste of time. My little sister, who is 9 and who 'should' enjoy it, thinks it is boring and a waste of time. But I'm not here to tell you what my family thinks of it.

First off, there is some simply horrendous over-acting, especially by Sara Paxton (Staci). I would understand if this were a high school play, but this is a multimillion-dollar film. Alexa Vega (Julie), who was the movie's main selling point, has two facial expressions: Worried and Mildly Angry. Her best friend Hannah, played by Mika Boorem, is the only person who seemed to know how to show emotion. I know these are supposed to be good actors, but... they sure don't show it.

On top of that, the whole plot screamed 'CLICHE' and consisted of contrivance after contrivance. Most of the dialog was simply terrible ("Hey, what's up? Your face is so glad-looking!"). This is a relatively new director, but there is simply no excuse for things like this. Dialogue can be fixed with a Sharpie marker 10 minutes before a shoot. There is no excuse.

3/10.

Seriously???

Author: fallgeek
22 April 2012

This movie is downright terrible. Usually I like cheesy movies because they are so stupid and pointless that you can laugh at them, but this movie is just all-around awful. There are many reasons that this movie is bad, so I'll list them here:

1. The acting is very questionable; it's supposed to feature a good, talented cast, but the actors may as well be robots, as they're not putting any expression into their lines whatsoever.

2. All of the jokes that are supposed to be funny are just stupid.

3. The main character, Julie, is a complete selfish, self-centered snob- she complains to her parents about not getting a lock on her bedroom door, and that her mom treats her like a baby, and that her crush doesn't even know she exists-it makes you want to slap her across the face.

4. The film basically encourages bad behavior, what with the scavenger hunt and all, and the parents' reaction to Julie's sneaking out of the house is far too lenient-they don't punish her, but instead reward her with a lock for her bedroom door-if I did that, I'd be grounded for life!

5. The fake emotion in this movie is overwhelming-the writers tried to throw in some emotional scenes that didn't fit to the script or the theme of the movie in the first place, and all of the actors failed to deliver them.

6. The ending is so predictable it's ridiculous-my five-year-old sister could see it coming! Julie ends up with the guy of her dreams and her and her friends win the scavenger hunt and are skyrocketed into popularity-news flash: life isn't perfect!

7. The movie is really shallow and pretty much implies that being popular and wearing designer clothes and dating the cutest boy in school are the most important things in life-it sends a bad message to young viewers.

8. Lastly, the guy that the chubby character (Yancy) winds up with at the end of the film says that he has a one-night gig working at the bar/club the girls sneak into-for this to be true, he'd have to be at least 21 years of age. Which means that a 21-year-old man has fallen in love with a 14-year-old girl. Isn't there something wrong with that picture?

This movie is awful for all of the reasons mentioned above, and is totally not worth the hour and half of your time that it takes up-take my advice: don't watch it.

"Sarcastically Hilarious!"

Author: wheremyhustlasat from Seattle
9 January 2006

This movie is a complete load of "enchanting" unrealistic crap. I get a wild kick out of bad movies and this one takes the cake for 2004. First of all the fat girl who they had to name "Yancy" to match her unattractive character (Kallie Flynn Childress), is not featured on the cover of the box because somehow American 14 year old girls won't relate with other chubby girls? Plus, when they sneak into the club while fatty waits outside, she's approached by a sweet heavy set charmer who is working on a gig there that night. Clearly in order for him to work in a bar, he has to be at least 21, which is of course is a perfectly acceptable age to hit on a 14 YEAR OLD GIRL! And while Joe Nussbaum is advocating pedophilia, why not condone the high school senior to fall in like with Julie (Alexa Vega), before she even attends his school. I remember in MY high school, only the coolest and most popular guys would court girls 4 years younger than them, as apposed to dating attractive mature girls their own age. Why stop at middle school Steve Faris, when there is plenty of kindergarten girls with your head shot tacked above they're bed surrounded by glittered hearts? If you're ready to play your home version of Mystery Science Theater 3K I HIGHLY recommend "Sleepover".

good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Author: wendy_williams39 from United Kingdom
6 August 2006

this movie is very cool and funny in way but not to enjoyable not the best movie i had ever seen but is cool. All the actors were very good especially Alexa Vega And Kallie as Yancy the typical loser type girl who managed to find friends at a sleepover. The story is about a group of friends who join in at a scavenger hunt against popular Queens. They get things wrong at first but they make way Alexa Vega gets to dance with her prince in the end at the dance. This movie is ideal for teen girls who live in a fantasy.i also love to watch the prince and me and comedies so try the prince and me it is a bit soppy but if you like other things watch like this movie i like stuck in the suburbs i love it!

Filled with stereotypical garbage

Author: mycatserena from Australia
8 July 2012

Sleepover is a great movie. For anyone under the age of 10 that is.

This movie was so awful that I decided to create an account for the exact purpose to write this review. In this terribly cliché film, our main character, Julie Corky (Vega) has a slumber party on the last day of year 8. She invites popular girl Staci (Paxton) who declines, saying that she is going to the high school dance with a her boyfriend. (Did I mention she was blonde? And what do you know, Staci and Julie used to be best friends back in the day, how very original!) Mainly due to her best friend moving next year, Julie is worried that she will not be popular enough to sit at "the fountain", because in high school being popular is oh so important! Somehow at the sleepover the girls get involved in a scavenger hunt with Staci's friends, the prize being a spot at "the fountain" and the losers having to sit next to a garbage tip (*note that this is completely unrealistic, what school would have lunch tables in such an unsanitary place?)

Okay, here's where it get interesting! These 14 year-olds who are under the driving age somehow obtain a car and manage to drive it, then complete ridiculous tasks such as stealing the popular guy's underwear and getting into a club, while being chased by a policeman who has nothing better to do with his time. The funny thing is, that while at the club, overweight chubby girl, Yancy, wallows to herself about never getting a boyfriend. Then, can you believe it, an overweight guy comes up and starts talking to her, much to her surprised disbelief. Now this would have been okay, if it weren't for the fact that this guy had to be at least 21 to be working in a club, and it sends out a message that if you're fat you can only get a boyfriend whose fat too!

So, any points for guessing how it ends? Somehow Julie manages to get her and her friends into the dance by giving a some-what inspiring speech to the ticket girl who was not popular in high school, by convincing her to "let her have her chance". Things must be looking up for Julie because not only did she score the lunch spot, but she somehow ends up with the popular guy who didn't know she existed until a few hours ago, when he saw her in a totally unflattering crouched position on a skateboard. He gives her his crown and they dance, but in the race to get back home she drops it. Somehow, the next day he appears in her cubby house (which is kinda creepy) with the crown. Now why would a guy, 3 years older than you, waist his time wandering the streets looking for a lost crown? Beats me, I only hope they would stop making these dumb movies.

****AVOID AT ALL COSTS****