The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement
Page 1 of 15:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Clean, fun fairy tale

Author: kellychitwood from Atlanta, Georgia
21 August 2004

How refreshing to attend a non-animated, G-rated movie and enjoy it! As a 41-year-old woman attending with an 82-year-old friend, I expected a light, pretty, romantic fairy tale, and that's exactly what I got. Never saw the first movie, but the "catch-up" work at the beginning made that a non-issue.

Surely, no one would go to this movie expecting to find the meaning of life portrayed on the screen. Come on, folks, this is a Disney princess flick with Julie Andrews and a G-rating; is anybody expecting deep philosophy?

Chick flick? Of course! Especially appealing to young (under 18) chicks? Definitely! Enjoyable to other adult women and men who just want a happy trip to fantasy land with no worries about sex, blood, or blue language? Absolutely!

Take this film at face value and you'll enjoy it. If you can't do that, don't bother seeing it. There are plenty of other "profound" movies out there to inspire, teach, or depress you! Go for a good time and you'll have it.

A feel-good movie

Author: lilcutie18613 from United States
26 July 2005

I remember seeing the first movie not expecting much from it, but when I walked out I was pleasantly surprised! When I saw the previews to this movie I thought "Oh god! Another movie ruined by a sequel!" I was slightly wrong in my thinking, because this was in fact a cute, light-hearted, feel-good movie. Maybe it's not as good as the first, but I still thought it was rather enjoyable. Anne Hathaway is a great actress and I'm so glad her talent was discovered and recognized. Julie Andrews gave a great performance as the former Queen of Genovia. This movie may have been predictable and a big ball of fluff, but what do you expect to a sequel to a Disney movie where Pixar wasn't involved? I would recommend this movie to anyone, just as long as you go into it knowing it's different from the first. I'm just praying there won't be a third movie.

Princess Mia grows into her power, adding bite to this tween rom com

Author: Colette Corr from Melbourne, Australia
10 December 2004

What does it mean to be a princess? Besides wearing tiaras and twin sets, dancing at balls…attracting fame and fortune simply for being beautiful? A princess is stuck forever in extended adolescence – she only has the trappings of power. Symbolically, at least, a queen has real power, and does not necessarily need to be beautiful.

For hundreds of years, fairy tales have filtered through our consciousness to involuntarily fuel our dreams. In the last century, what began as cautionary tales to lecture children have been sugar-spun into a Disneyfied notion of desire. But with Disney's latest, Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement, the recent trend of recasting fairy tales to reflect modern ideals continues, albeit with a gentler hand than yesteryear's feminists.

Simply, it's not enough to be a princess anymore. Although ostensibly a conventional tween romantic comedy, Princess Diaries 2 features a heroine who is more independent than Drew Barrymore's character in Ever After (1998) and less frustrated than Julia Stiles' Mary Donaldson clone in the The Prince and Me (2004). And, even better, in Princess Diaries 2, there are no handsome princes, just boys on the side.

I'm not a fan of much of director Gary Marshall's work – although Pretty Woman's a classic, Runaway Bride, Raising Helen and the original Princess Diaries are very ordinary films. But in this enchanting sequel, he and screenwriter Shonda Rhimes give us a character who's not just beautiful, klutzy and funny. Mia Mignonette Thermopoulos Rinaldi is growing into her power.

Princess Diaries 2 begins five years after the original at Mia's 21st birthday party. After the schemings of John Rhys Davies triggers an ancient Genovian law, Mia has one month to marry, otherwise she will forfeit the throne. As two very different suitors court her, Mia relies on her now affectionate relationship with her grandmother, Queen Clarisse (Julie Andrews), to guide her. Meanwhile security chief Joe (Hector Elizondo) woos the Queen.

There are hackneyed moments, the worst of which is a pajama party featuring dozens of little princesses who are designed to reflect their aspirant audience. Although enjoyable, this scene serves no dramatic function, except perhaps to showcase Julie Andrew's expertise in mattress surfing. The change in Queen Clarisse's character is also unexplained – she's transformed from being an acerbic biddy in the first film to being the dream grandmother. However, this film is entertaining, humorous and has a positive message. The cast and characters are also strong, particularly Anne Hathaway as Mia, and there's plenty of chemistry between her and Nicholas (Chris Pine). Heather Matarazzo and Fat Louie the cat also make brief appearances.

Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement improves on the original, and will be a particular hit with its target audience: tween and teen girls. But this film's got enough substance to appeal to an older audience…if you let it. ***/***** stars.

Fun Chick Flick

Author: teachergeek from USA
15 August 2004

Anyone who liked the first Princess Diaries movie will like this. It's sweet, it's funny, and there are gorgeous men and gorgeous clothes. My best friend and I are in our late 20's and although it was predictable as any chick flick is...it was well worth our 9 dollar admissions. We loved it, and left feeling happy.

Mia arrives back in Genovia only to discover that due to a old law still on the books, she has to marry in order to rule her country. Unfortunately there is another candidate. Mia proceeds to deal with her life with her usual mix of clumsiness and sarcasm, with best friend Lily along for the ride. Memorable scenes include the ball, the parade, the wooden leg, and the continuing romance between Joe and Queen Clarice.

Amazingly Trite Tween Movie

Author: colin83089 from Hawaii USA
3 May 2006

Maybe this movie is enjoyable for the target audience (10-15 year olds), but for everyone else I think it's a waste of time. It was much too long and had a lot of ambiguous scenes added for the little girls watching it. Examples include a scene where Mia walks into a room in her castle closely resembling a mall, that is filled with clothes and jewelry. Another scene is a pajama party (Mia is 21) in which stuck up little girls sing karaoke and slide down stairs. The script is one of the worst I have ever seen. The lines that are supposed to be funny are so dumb it's almost funny. All in all, don't watch this movie unless you are a huge fan of one of the stars or are stuck on deserted island with only this movie. My favorite part of this movie were a few of the songs, including Breakaway by Kelly Clarkson.

Teenage girls with no interest in plot, scripting or character depth apply within

Author: gillard_stephen from United Kingdom
23 February 2005

I will just say that the one good thing about this movie is that it's really nice to see Julie Andrews singing again. There is no debating the fact that she has an amazing voice. What does bother me is this increasing trend of teensploitation movies that are appearing regularly in the cinemas. Film makers appear to have found a genre that appeals to the teenage girl who still puts the pillow case on her head and dreams of the perfect wedding and boy are they sticking to it. Take one virginally attractive young woman, give her no brains but an abundance of good intentions, place her in a variety of bumbling situations and add one completely plastic love interest. Acting school? Only add as a very last resort if character's can't manage basic facial expression. Completely ignore the only two interesting characters and their complex love story to focus on the teen dream of the "perfect man," and the fight to win him from the dark side. Even makes the first Princess Diaries look like Citizen Kane. Very very Boring.

"good clean fun"

Author: TheDirector24 from Australia
14 September 2004

Disney have proved yet again why they are a head and shoulders above the competition when it comes to producing movies that aren't admittedly brain food, but are "good clean fun", (if you'll forgive the cliché), for kids. For every little girl who ever dreamed of becoming a princess, this film is the perfect way to spend two hours.

True, it was grossly unfaithful to Meg Cabot's original novels, but still managed to convey the charm and slick veneer that has come to be associated with Disney, and the valuable message of independence for little princesses everywhere.

For the more mature audience, this is a happy chance to revisit childhood, or simply breathe a sigh of relief that what your child is watching is not in any way compromising or damaging, and will not have to be explained later.

Good message. Solid performances. Sweet (if bland and predictable at times) story line. Great movie!

Highly recommended for two hours of escapism on a summer's afternoon.

Love, Love, Love this movie

Author: rlh8947 from United States
23 June 2006

I love the Princess Diaries 2, I like it better than the original, which is very rare for sequels. I admit, it is a bit cheesy, but sometimes cheesiness works. Anne Hathaway is one of my favorite young actresses, and oh my god the guy who plays Nicholas (chris pine) is so hot! The chemistry between Mia and Nicholas is amazing, and the story is sweet and cute. I love Hector Elizondo and I wish he had a larger role in the second film, but he's still fabulous in it. I'm also so glad that Mia stood up for women and refused to get married just because the law told her too. I'm sure Nicholas would have married her if she asked him, heck, Andrew was at the altar, but she wasn't prepared to give up her life to make the men who made the law happy. I can't say enough about this movie! Two enthusiastic thumbs up!

My opinions on Princess Diaries 2

Author: luva-orlando from Australia
4 October 2006

Having read all the books in the series by Meg Cabot, I knew I was going to have high standards, and I was personally quite impressed! I mean, this movie? I can watch it again and again and again, and not get tired of it! It's magic seems to last forever! Anne Hathaway plays a wonderful portrayal of Princess Mia, and her performance is never unsatisfactory. I think, to quote the previous commenter,...the 'transition', was quite effective! The movie was intended to describe Mia's life after she graduates from college. It was not meant to continue where the books left off, and if that was the case, Meg Cabot, wouldn't have let the movie go into production!!! And yes, there may have been 'eye-candy', but what's a comedy-romance without it? Many congratulations on the movie's success, it was well-deserved!

Not boring - not the original but not boring

Author: David Cron from Las Vegas NV
13 April 2005

The sequel is still funny and it's worth watching to hear Julie Andrews sing again. The "mattress surfing scene is wonderful especially when the Queen (Andrews) pops in and everyone thinks OMG the party's over. But NO! Anne Hathaway is absolutely gorgeous, so guys will of course enjoy the "eye candy" and the ladies have some pretty hunky guys around too. The real story of this movie though is the fleshing out of the relationship between Joe (Hector Elizondo) and the Queen. That's the most interesting subplot in the story and the most enjoyable too. The ending is somewhat of a predictable surprise. I found it to be enjoyable. Not as witty as the original but still worth the watch.

Page 1 of 15:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]