IMDb > National Treasure (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
National Treasure

National Treasure More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 68:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Take "National Treasure" for what it is.

Author: dgrooms72 from United States
4 January 2005

This is a fun movie that most everyone in the family can enjoy. It's rated PG, has some violence, but no nudity and no language. Younger kids will probably not understand the Masonic and Knights Templar references, but they'll probably still enjoy it. The only thing anyone needs to understand about the Masons is the Knights Templar eventually became the Masons, and many of our founding fathers were Masons, so there's a bit of Masonic lore/connection tied into the movie. Other than that, it's easy to follow. Ben Gates is chasing a dream of finding a lost treasure, the map to which is supposedly hidden on the back of the Declaration of Independence. He steals the Declaration, then takes off on his adventure to find the treasure. To put it simply, "National Treasure" will remind you of a cross between the Indiana Jones trilogy (minus the snakes) and "Ocean's 11" (minus the drinking and profanity). You don't have to be a genius to watch it, and you don't have to be a history nut to understand it. No, there isn't really a map on the back of the Declaration of Independence (Is there?), but Indiana Jones didn't actually find the Ark, either. It's a fun, fantasy, what-if, kind of movie. Enjoy it.

Pleasant Surprise!

Author: krabby-patty
20 December 2004

National Treasure was not on my must-watch list. but it turned out to be a most pleasant surprise. the history behind the show may not be accurate and it also has around it, an air of mystery, but it certainly was a fun filled ride with the face-paced action flicks! I'm NOT a particular Cage fan. nonetheless i had to admit he did a pretty good job as Ben Gates - slightly serious yet very witty! together with Riley, they provided the tickles that brought the audience through the entire film.

with no explicit language and scenes, National Treasure is well-suited for family entertainment! its a light-hearted film good for an evening of chilling out! the subtle love story also adds credit to the film.

well done!

fun adventure

Author: MLDinTN from TN
12 December 2004

This was a fun film, sort of like an Indian Jones movie, but the treasure hunter must figure out clues. I'm sure the reason this was made and released now has a lot to do with the Da Vinci Code. The plot is just like it except instead of involving religious history, the clues center around American history, and namely the founding fathers.

So Nick Cage, plays Ben Gates, the treasure hunter whose family has been looking for the treasure of the knights templer for years. One of his relatives possessed the last remaining clue from a dying Mason. So, the movie starts with Cage finally solving that clue, and the film goes from there. Of course, we have the evil billionaire guy who wants the treasure for himself and the funny sidekick. But, I think the sidekick failed because he wasn't all that funny. The movie could have used some more humor. And of course, Gates hooks up with a beautiful woman along the way to help him solve the clues, which sounds just like Da Vinci.

It is unbelievable that someone could just come up with the answer to these difficult clues after thinking about them for 2 minutes, but we don't have time to let the characters ponder them for a few months. It is meant to be fun, so forget about the plot holes. The whole set beneath the church looked very neat, but I would have to think all those wooden stairs would have been rotten by then and no one could walk on them. But who cares, it's fun.

And the theft of the Declaration of Independence was reminiscent of Ocean's 11. Funny how anyone can steal anything in a film, forget locked down security.

FINAL VERDICT: If you like adventure films, I recommend it. It is not like Tomb Raider, which some have compared it to. Tomb Raider was horrible. This is more like Indiana Jones.

Excellent movie vastly underrated by critics

Author: peter0105 from Philippines
15 December 2004

I went to see four movies this week (Birth, Incredible, Bridget, and this one, National Treasure).

I went to see National Treasure last because it got the worst rating by critics.

It turned out to be the best of four.

An excellent movie, packed with suspense, good acting, plot, from beginning to end.

Two thumbs down for critics. They missed this one just like they did for Riddick.

I heartedly recommend it to anyone.

Did The Illuminati Fund This Movie To Further Mask Their Nefarious Schemes?

Author: hokeybutt from Milwaukee, Wisconsin
12 December 2004

NATIONAL TREASURE (3 outta 5 stars) After hearing some of the initial reviews I was expecting something of a train wreck here. Actually, the movie is not bad at all... in a cheesy kind of Saturday afternoon time-killing way. Some of the actions of the characters strain credibility at times... but if you just sit back and let the plot play out it's all quite entertaining. A pair of eccentric treasure hunters pick up a female ally along the way as they try to beat a rich bad man at finding the greatest cache of treasure of all time. Nicolas Cage gives an effortlessly engaging lead performance. His male and female sidekicks (Diane Kruger and Justin Bartha) play off him quite well. The main villain (Sean Bean) is a more low-key bad guy than we tend to see in movies these days... he doesn't go on and on ranting and raving and screaming to prove how bad he is... he just proves it quite matter-of-factly through his actions. Jon Voigt and Harvey Keitel do alright in a couple of minor roles that don't do much for their acting cred but probably gave their bank accounts a boost. It didn't even strike me until the very end that this was indeed a Disney MOVIE... one very much like the adventure movies they used to put out in the 50s. I was also pleasantly surprised that there were less dumb action stunts than I expected. The two major stunt scenes in the film (a car chase and a stairway cave-in) were pretty un-inspired... the movie wisely concentrates more on plot and dialogue.

Fairly entertaining

Author: grahamsj3 from United States
30 November 2004

I am NOT, repeat, NOT, a Nicolas Cage fan, mainly because he relies too much on action to carry his films (instead of his acting), but this is a pretty decent flick. There is enough action and suspense to keep the viewer's interest and also to maintain the pace of the film. There's actually not very much actual violence (strange for a Cage film!), but the story is so well-written that even Cage can pull it off without any gore. The basic story has been reviewed several times, but it's the continuation of a 200 year old treasure hunt. Cage must solve riddle after riddle to find the ultimate clue to the treasure's whereabouts. The clue is finally determined to be on the back of the Declaration of Independence. How Cage figures the clue that leads him there is pretty far-fetched but its the key to the story. If you buy into that, the rest of the riddles are acceptable. There's also a double cross plot headed by the great Sean Bean that provides a lot of the action. The lovely Diane Kruger portrays the poor lady who gets caught up in the middle of all this intrigue. Overall, except for the figuring out of the clue found in the ship (the viewer just has to assume that he's that far above the rest of us in intelligence), a pretty exciting film with a little something for everyone.

Indiana Jones minus the gore

Author: Till Noever from Brisbane, Australia
11 January 2005

This one gets my vote for the most enjoyable flick of 2004 (together with The Indredibles). You'd think it's just for kiddies, but any adult capable of just going to the cinema to enjoy themselves should be able to sit back, gobble the popcorn, suck the straw, nibble on the ice- cream and just have a couple of hours of unproblematic mania—with good and bad guys, daring thefts, lost treasures, romance, chases, near escapes, disasters and rescues and everything you'd expect in this kind of Bruckheimer production.

The whole thing is paced just right, the villains are just bad enough, and the goodies are nobles with a roguish streak. The cheesy bits are mellowed with a dash of wry humor, and those that aren't: well, just take them, don't cringe and, again, have fun!

I came out of this movie smiling, as did my wife and elder daughter (that would make all of us into definite 'adults'). Since a smile was what we all wanted that day, we got exactly what we asked for.

A Surprisingly Stunning Gem.

Author: tfrizzell from United States
26 November 2004

A descendant (Nicolas Cage) of a family of fortune hunters looks for a treasure chest that was hidden by the Founding Fathers of the new United States after the Revolutionary War. After being double-crossed by European Sean Bean and his men while obtaining another clue in the Arctic, Cage and sidekick Justin Bertha (who nearly steals the show with his quick-witted one-liners) travel to D.C. to obtain the Declaration of Independence. It is believed that there is an invisible map on the back of that historic document. A daring cat and mouse game continues between Cage and Bean as the ultra-hot Diane Kruger (who made almost no impression in the disappointing "Troy") gets involved as well. Jon Voight (Cage's skeptical father) also gets thrown in the mix as the movie progresses and he does some of the best work of his career in an endearing and quietly comical role. A brilliant scavenger hunt for clues along the major cities of the East Coast will leave you on the edge of your seat. "National Treasure" is a fun trip to the movies. The setup (told by Cage's grandfather, Christopher Plummer) is a bit uneven and I was worried that this was going to be a disaster, but I am glad it was not. The characters are all smart and intelligent and the pace is fast and furious. Wonderful entertainment for the entire family. Surprisingly one of the finer pictures of 2004. 4 stars out of 5.

Good Popcorn Movie

Author: dbborroughs from Glen Cove, New York
21 November 2004

Completely unbelievable but fun romp around the world looking for treasure...it won't win any awards but its a good two hours at the movies.

The plot to trying to find a lost treasure a clue to which is on the back of the Declaration of Independence is so beyond belief that its best to simply begin by throwing up your hands and accepting it for what it is. Certainly the cast has thrown reality to the wind and appears to be having a grand time.

My only complaint, and its what keeps me from saying you you should see this in a theater instead of renting it, is that the pacing is off. It needs a zipper pace to get us from A to B. Certainly it moves well, but there were times when I just wanted to to move a bit faster. Its a minor fault, but one that prevented me from really loving this.

7 out of 10. Definitely worth seeing, preferably for less than what they charge for a full price movie admission these days.

Security risks

Author: jotix100 from New York
28 October 2005

"National Treasure" is a thriller that was obviously targeted for young audiences. John Turtletaub, its director, has created a film that will resonate with those audiences because of the great ride and the adventure it depicts. On the other hand, heaven help us, should anyone feel inspired to emulate the hero of the film and attempts to do something similar, which in a way, doesn't say much about the security in guarding the real "natural treasures" of the country.

If we can believe Ben Gates can pull the caper, then there's no problem in enjoying this film, which offers an action packed couple of hours that could have been trimmed a little bit to make it even better.

Not being a Nicolas Cage fan, one was prepared for the worst, but this is one of the films in which Mr. Cage is at his mellowest intensity and it's easy to tolerate his antics. Diane Kreuger is a beautiful addition to the film that pays well. Justin Bartha does what he can being a computer nerd and pulling fantastic stuff to help his friend. Sean Bean, Christopher Plummer and Jon Voight, are seen in supporting roles.

This is a film that will play well with young minds and with adults that will allow for the silliness of the situation at hand.

Page 1 of 68:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]