IMDb > National Treasure (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

National Treasure More at IMDbPro »

a treasure in deed

Author: moviaholic
7 December 2004

National Treasure is one I could watch again and again. It has a gripping story line fabulous characters and a lovely mix of action, mystery and suspense, but it was the play on the history, of the fonding fathers that gave it something new to offer the traditional action flick. Cage is sexy, charming, and lovable as the all American patriotic hero, Ben Gates. Justin Bartha gives us several laughs as the lovable Riley, and his friendship with Ben makes the movie that much more enjoyable. Sean Bean is such a gooood baddie, too. And it is always nice to have such talents as Jon Voight and Harvey Keitel in a movie. National Treasure is gripping from start to finish. And as far as action films go, I think it really nailed it.

Smart, fun, thrilling and action packed... GREAT movie.

Author: coj3
21 November 2004

I saw this movie in a sold out theater. There were 3 different ovations including a huge ovation at the end. THE MOVIE WORKS. It's funny, action-packed and romantic. Clearly a lot of attention to details of interesting American history was paid by the filmmakers. The audience LOVED this movie. What shocks me is that it seems that many critics picked on this movie as well as the people who undertook the considerable challenge of making it. Clearly critics do not review movies for the public but for their elite friends and peers. The hotshot hot airbags must think it's not cool to like a thoroughly entertaining well made Jerry Bruckheimer movie. Why do we even listen to so called critics in the first place? At some point critics should learn to check their wannabe-but-can't screen writer egos at the door and review a film based on its merits and its genre. Worst of all, these particular dumber-than-a-bag-of-hair critics didn't even bother to verify that the script was developed years before DaVinci Code was written! Write your critic an email and tell them to get off their high horse and do their job because National Treasure is a GREAT movie!

A cinema treasure

Author: Enedannaiel
21 November 2004

I'm a history-buff and was looking forward to the release of this film as it seemed to be original. I can only say I was not found wanting.

This movie rocked pretty much all the way through. I was worried towards the end that they were going to end it too soon on a politically correct note but it ended where it should have.

Very cute and family friendly, I'll be recommending this movie to others. With little to no cursing, no ear cover will be needed and the action scenes will have many hearts jumping.

Since, yes, it is Disney some parts are predictable but not enough to know how everything will turn out. Several places had my mind boggled.

I give it 10 stars and a place on the list for our 'buy it on opening day' list.

Smart, fun, thrilling and action packed... GREAT movie.

Author: coj3
21 November 2004

I saw this movie in a sold out theater. There were 3 different ovations including a huge ovation at the end. THE MOVIE WORKS. Its funny, action-packed and romantic. Clearly a lot of attention to details of interesting American history was paid by the fimmakers. The audience LOVED this movie. What shocks me is that it seems that many critics picked on this movie as well as the people who undertook the considerable challenge of making it. Clearly critics do not review movies for the public but for their elite friends and peers. The hotshot hotairbags must think its not cool to like a thoroughly entertaining well made Jerry Bruckheimer movie. Why do we even listen to so called critics in the first place? At some point critics should learn to check their wannabe-but-can't screen writer egos at the door and review a film based on its merits and its genre. Worst of all, these particular dumber-than-a-bag-of-hair critics didn't even bother to verify that the script was developed years before DaVinci Code was written! Write your critic an email and tell them to get off their highhorse and do their job because National Treasure is a GREAT movie!

WOW!! Move over Indiana Jones. Best action/adventure yet!

Author: msmith-25 from Annapolis, Maryland
20 November 2004

This was an incredible movie. One where it can eventually show on TV without having to bleep out half of the dialogue and cut out scenes. This was terrific screen writing. The plot always kept you wondering what was coming next.

There was also a good blend of humor as well. At times I felt like I was watching a blend of Ocean's eleven, The Rock, and Indiana Jones. Nicholas Cage was on my list for a long time as one of the worst actors in Hollywood. But after "The Rock" and this one, I have to admit he's come a long way. Not the best but certainly a good performance again.

This movie didn't depend on special effects but instead relied on a great story. The movie drew the audience in to feeling like you were figuring out this mystery. The movie always has you thinking about what they found and what it means to the continuation of the film. You find yourself, trying to figure out the clues as Nicholas Cage (Ben Gates) is trying to. The movie had an edge to it too because you always felt the presence of the competition with Sean Bean (Ian Howe-bad guy again!). So whatever the next part of the puzzle was, it had to be figured out quickly because Ian Howe was right on your tail. Kept you in suspense the whole time.

This will be one of those "don't miss" movies.

We Need New Critics

Author: Gwenne from Southern Maryland
20 November 2004

Once again, the critics and I don't agree. I think they go into movies and don't go in to enjoy them, they go in to pick them apart.

This is a FUN movie with lots of NEAT things and some actual facts and so on (including symbolism, bits about the Knights Templar, etc.). While there were some inaccuracies--this is supposed to be an adventure and it and the clues and the traps are a ripping good time!

It's sort of like Shakespeare--he was writing to the common folk; while he might have had some sense of symbolism in mind, I don't think he intended people to pick apart his plays looking for layers and layers. Let's face it--it's hard to notice that when Julius Caeser was performed in the period fashion rather than costumes, as was the norm.

Go prepared for fun, and you'll get it! Cheers!

a wonderful movie - it has it all!

Author: andrea-l-wolf (andrea.l.wolf@comcast.net) from Fair Oaks
20 November 2004

I'd been waiting for "National Treasure" since I saw the first trailer months ago. I planned on going to see it on opening day. When I heard that the reviews were bad, I knew that I wanted to go more than ever. Nicholas Cage has never disappointed me, and I knew he wouldn't now. The first show at the day was filled to capacity. From the opening to the closing, everyone remained in their seats. It was a great concept and I knew I was in for a wild ride. This film had it all...adventure...history...comedy...emotion...everything.

What it didn't have was a cheezy plot. I was in my seat throughout the film, not wanting to miss a single scene. I totally loved this film, and it was a film that people could take their families too, you know? It was a real adventure, and a fun excape into the world of the film. Thanks for a great film.

Exciting, suspenseful and family friendly!

Author: gtaylor194 from Nappanee, Indiana
20 November 2004

American Treasure is as advertised.

It is becoming the exception and not the rule, but most films either have sex, excessive violence or profanity. This film kept you interested without the usual bag of Hollywood nasties.

The movie is family friendly and one of the best PG films I have seen in a long time.

The movie includes suspense, excitement, patriotism and fun. American treasure includes just enough twists and turns to keep you guessing.

In fact, you better plan on staying in your seat for the entire film. Every scene adds just enough clues to move the plot in a slightly different direction to a complicated pursuit.

I give American Treasure a 5 out 5 stars.

Terrific popcorn movie with fun performances...

Author: moonspinner55 from las vegas, nv
19 November 2007

History buff Nicolas Cage, who as a young child was enraptured by his grandfather's story of hidden treasure left behind by a secret sect of our founding fathers, defies generations of failed attempts and hopes to locate the fortune which would be worth about ten billion dollars. Treasure map movies are usually a lot of fun if the clues are tasty enough and the characters engaging, and here (rather surprisingly) both are. Cage doesn't have much of a character to play (we get very little exposition about the man behind the obsession), yet his hangdog determination and dry delivery serves this frantic scenario well. The story isn't worked out fluidly, with holes and gaps of logic (and a point mid-way through involving an FBI helicopter where the plot almost capsizes). Still, Jon Turteltaub's direction is focused and exciting, helped immeasurably by fast editing and a handsome production, all of which pick up the slack--to the point where even the script holes are just about irrelevant. *** from ****

The Loot Of Our Founding Fathers

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
24 July 2007

National Treasure is one fanciful tale of Sean Bean and Nicholas Cage each seeking what is the treasure of the Knights Templar which got handed down to our Founding Fathers and hidden away for over 200 years. Of course Bean is quite a bit less scrupulous than Cage, but guess who triumphs in the end?

Our story takes us from the Arctic, to the Smithsonian in Washington, to the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia and finally to New York City near the site of George Washington's Inaugural. Once the action gets going it doesn't pause for too many minutes. National Treasure borrows a great deal in plot and pace from the Indiana Jones films.

Of course this plot has enough bullet holes in it that one with a reasonable knowledge of American history can find, but it's still a rather enjoyable film. Harvey Keitel is fine as the FBI agent pursuing Cage who's looking for the treasure and pursuing and avoiding Bean at the same time. Why is the FBI after Cage? Well he stole something rather irreplaceable.

Of course the part that I find a bit preposterous is the fact of where the location was. I can't believe that with the amount of excavation for construction done around there, the treasure wasn't located a hundred years ago.

Best in the film is Justin Bartha as Cage's sidekick. He has a really great deadpan delivery of the best lines in the film.

the best adventurous thriller

Author: therealsagar_007 from India
31 May 2006

I've recently seen the movie and i was just kinda feel that i was all waiting thru my whole life perhaps to see this movie.i mean who could u ever think of Benjamin gates other than Nicolas cage making a perfect chemistry with the stunning diane kruger taking all of us to the greatest adventurous ride.i guess its a must watch film for everybody out there.the most important thing about this movie is that coming all the way down with every clue there's seemed to be more clues which is obviously logical and very very relevant to the story.stealling the declaration of independence which may sounds a bit weird is another interesting part of the movie.there's has been a perfect combintion of comedy by the character played by Justin bartha which i guess has been well executed.

It had everything I wanted out of an action film!

Author: Seth Nelson from (Near) D/FW Airport, Texas, USA
21 February 2006

Thank you very, very much, Disney, for making your 2004 holiday season much better than your 2003 holiday season! Anyways, here's the reason. Two words: National Treasure. This is one of my favorite films (in fact, it's my favorite New Disney film and one of my favorite action films)! Why? Well, first off, this is an action film that just about anybody can watch! Well, it's Disney and it's PG, right? Second, the whole path of this film flows extremely well - not only do we go up the East Coast after twenty minutes into the film or so, but the idea of finding a huge treasure - which had taken pretty much all of time just to get here - sounds exciting! In fact, this movie is so good that not only was I excited about waiting for the DVD, but I always tell my family to rent this every time we upgrade our living room entertainment center: They get a new DVD/VCR combo, I ask them if they could rent this movie; they get a new widescreen TV, I ask them if they could rent this movie! Maybe when they get a 5.1 system (I highly doubt that will happen), I'll ask them for it again! Yes, it's that great!

ha ha ha ha

Author: 7th_uranus
21 February 2005

I started watching the movie with very diathesis and unfortunately I felt VERY disappointed... The cast was not bad at all. The action in the middle of the movie was also good but I have really seen it A LOT of time in many many MANY movies... Of course I wouldn't put 2/10 out any movie just because of that. I have said on other reviews as well that the worst problem on this kind of movies is that they give nothing to the culture. They could really do so and be just as amusing. Its a pity. I found the scenario too INFANTINE (not infantile)and very predictable. Although I have to admit that I laughed a lot of time during the movie because of the plethora of the ridiculous "quotes".

This is a movie that you only the ones with a real fantasy imagination would like

Author: jkm0119 from United States
31 July 2014

I really expected more from Nicholas Cage. He could have been great like James Stewart but he has only made a few good movies. He acts well. The movie actually says a lot about what Americans like. They want to believe that the founding fathers had secrets but they did not. The entire thing about freemasons, shows that the writers had no idea what they were talking about. There is no history to substantiate anything in this movie. I feel sorry for those who think that someone knew what they were saying. This is a bad take off of Raiders of the Ark. Very bad and not as good as the flop Micheal Douglas had with Jewels of the Nile. Anyway some may like it but it is ridiculous. I wish I would not have wasted my time and watched something different.

I now know the meaning to life...

Author: keanu montakab from United Kingdom
8 February 2014

I always felt empty in my life like something was missing. I never knew it would be the warm embrace of our lord and saviour Nicolas Cage. In this Masterpiece he plays Ben Gates, An archaeologist/historian/badass. Throughout the film his glory carries the admittedly poor performances of all the other actors but how can someone be considered to be a good actor when in the same film as Nicolas Cage. After watching this classic I was reborn as a child of our one true god, our one true saviour, our one true overseer, our one true love, our one true hero, Nicolas Cage. I must say that is film deserves more than the excellent rating that I gave to it. Before watching this film one must prepare a live pig as a sacrifice or Nicolas Cage will come into your house at night and whisper the six most dreaded words imaginable "National Treasure Three Has Been Cancelled". This film will change your religion. This film will change your life. You must watch this film if you consider yourself a person with any sort of standards in great cinematic epics. This film was too good for lots of people who fail to see the glory of Nicolas Cage so they rate it low and create hundreds of multiple accounts so they can keep on giving it low ratings. IMDb needs to ban these people as not only are they pro HAX0RS but they are denying the lord of the rating that he deserves.

Wait , THIS was a hit ?!

Author: Maziun from Poland
11 August 2013

*SPOILERS*SPOILERS*SPOILERS*SPOILERS*SPOILERS To be honest I don't know why "National Treasure" was a hit . On other side , I don't know why people are still complaining about the quality of Michael Bay movies , yet his movies keep making money. Somebody has to watch them … Maybe I'm too harsh for "National treasure " . Compared to "Transformers" series , this is actually a decent popcorn flick for one night. I guess people missed a good adventure movie since "Indiana Jones and the last crusade". "NT" is better than Spielberg "Indiana Jones and the kingdom of crystal skull" , so let's start with the good things about this movie.

Diane Kruger is cute in this movie . Justin Barthe is great as a comic relief . The humor is probably the biggest strength of this movie . It's really funny and well placed . Jon Voight and Sean Bean give nice performances . Also , the art – direction is good.

The bad things ? Nicolas Cage . A hero of adventure movie should be charismatic and likable. Harrison Ford in "Indiana Jones " movies ? Yes . Michael Douglas in "Romancing the stone" ? Yes. Nicolas Cage here ? No. Just NO. He is boring and lifeless . He seems stiff and nervous through all the movie . A big miscast . I was also disappointed with Harvey Keitel who seems like "I just came for few minutes and when I'm done just give me the money as quick as it's possible".

The action scenes are TERRIBLY LAME . The music is uninspired . I was able to guess some of the riddles before our heroes and I'm not even American . The plot is kinda predictable in few places and there aren't too many surprises here. Not to mention that the riddles seem to throw our heroes from one place to another just to keep the movie going. The characters also act illogical – The FBI should be at Voight house almost immediately after they identified Cage . It's a standard procedure , people ! Also , the villains at one point allow our heroes to escape , despite the fact that they need them . Near the end of the movie they also fall for an obvious lie. The movie also should end 15 minutes sooner. It was annoying in the end.

Overall , you could skip this movie and watch something else , but if you want to watch it , it's not that bad. I give it 5/10.

Author: Jackson Booth-Millard from United Kingdom
9 January 2012

I had heard about this film from Disney a number of times, knowing the leading actor and some of the premise, but I had missed it a few times, so I finally got my hands on it and watched it with interest, from director Jon Turteltaub (Cool Runnings, While You Were Sleeping, Phenomenon). Basically historian and amateur cryptologist Benjamin 'Ben' Franklin Gates (Nicolas Cage) is part of a long running family of treasure hunters, he was inspired at a young age by his grandfather John Adams Gates (Christopher Plummer), and he is now on the hunt for the treasure still not recovered. He and Ian Howe (Sean Bean) found the legendary ship called the Charlotte in the Arctic, and it is there that they find a vital clue, after many others as well, that is a direction as to where to find the next one. They conclude from the riddle that the clue they need next is located somewhere on the Declaration of Independence, and Ian tries to kill Ben and his computer expert friend Riley Poole (The Hangover's Justin Bartha) after they refuse to touch the historical document. Ben does try to warn the National Archives about the high possibility of a robbery of the document, but they do not believe him, so the only way to stop Ian stealing and damaging it is to steal it themselves. So with the help of some high tech tools Ben and Riley do manage to steal the Declaration of Independence, narrowly missing Ian and his team trying to get it at the same time, and fooling them with a souvenir copy. National Archives worker Dr. Abigail Chase (Unknown's Diane Kruger) is adamant that they must return the valuable document, but the insist that they must at least try and find a hidden clue to the missing treasure they are searching for. Ben's father Patrick (Jon Voight) is disappointed that he is still trying to find this treasure after many years, but he agrees to help him find the secret message that may be on the Declaration, and they are overjoyed to be right. The clue is a bunch of numbers, and Ben remembers the Silence Dogood letters of Benjamin Franklin, and they decode the message to go to Independence Hall, where the next clue is located. After finding another clue behind a brick of the building on the roof, and splitting up to get away from Ian again, the villain manages to catch them, and forces them to tell him the location of the next path to follow. They are led to Trinity Church, New York, and it is below that they find hidden underground chambers that may in fact be the location of the treasure they have been seeking. Ben is forced into telling them the location of the next place to go, while Ian and his team leave him, Riley, Abigial and Patrick behind, but in fact the villains were tricked. The location they are is indeed where the treasure was hidden by the founding fathers, and even though the police catch up to them, led by Agent Peter Sadusky (Harvey Keitel), because of the robbery, they decide to hand over the treasure to go into museums and stuff, taking a cut of some of the fortune, Ian and his gang are arrested, and Ben, Abigail and Riley do good with their cuts. Also starring David Dayan Fisher as Shaw, Stewart Finlay-McLennan as Powell and Oleg Taktarov as Shippen. Cage gives a pretty good performance as the knowledgeable treasure hunter wanting to prove himself, Bean as usual makes an alright villain, Kruger is a feisty female joining in, Bartha gets some of the best moments with the one-liners, and supporting stars Keitel, Voight and Plummer do fine as well. These are the kind of films I like, where you are gripped as the characters follow the cryptic clues, and you hope that they are getting closer to what they are looking for, and you are satisfied when they do, there are exciting chases and tricky situations along the way, I guess I can see that it is not all original, but I found it intelligent enough, and I do not agree with the two out of five star rating, I found it a great fun action adventure. Worth watching!

Excellent action adventure flick

Author: pursenut-1 from United States
8 July 2008

If you like action adventure you will love this. Nicholas Cage is such an awesome actor in these type of movies. He does intrigue and plot twists with the best of them! Hunting for treasure, looking for clues, figuring out riddles, and staying ahead of the bad guys is just what this one's about. You can almost believe that something like this could really happen. The supporting acting is also good, and some of the supporting characters are fun and endearing. This one definitely gets thumbs up for plot, acting, and action. Reminds me a bit of what Indiana Jones goes through looking for treasures. It'll keep you on the edge of your seat. Enjoy!

One of the Best Adventure/Thriller Movies

Author: Diana Chen from China
26 April 2008

This is one of the best adventure/thriller movies which also is actually pretty funny.

Nicholas Cage(Ben Gates) and Justin Bartha(Riley Poole) were very entertaining and humorous.

The plot was good, i liked the ending, and the combination of historical legends and action was perfect!

I went and searched up some reviews after i watched both National Treasure 1 & 2 and i thought the critics greatly undermined it.

Great popcorn movie that's gripping but also funny.. everyone should watch it at least once!

It's STILL one of my favorite action/adventure movies after about 4 years..

Good movie!

Good, brainless fun

Author: Hancock_the_Superb from United States
27 January 2008

As a boy, Benjamin Franklin Gates (Nicholas Cage) hears the story of a mysterious treasure hidden by the Founding Fathers from his grandpa (Christopher Plummer), and devotes his life to finding it. There are clues all over the world, which seem to lead to nothing but more clues, and his dad, Patrick (Jon Voight), urges him to give up. Benjamin and his techie sidekick Riley Poole (Justin Bartha) realize that the next clue is on the back of the Declaration of Independence, and end up stealing it. Enlisting the very reluctant help of Patrick and lovely scientist Abigail Chase (Diane Kruger), Ben seeks to find the treasure while being pursued by treacherous partner Ian (Sean Bean) and a cynical FBI Agent (Harvey Keitel).

"National Treasure" is a film which is enjoyable for reasons that can't be fully explained. On the face of it, I should find it an inescapably stupid film, which uses the fig leaf of history to cover up a shallow, crass, sub-Indiana Jones adventure film. And yet, I find myself amused by this movie, and it's definitely worth a look if you're not expecting anything profound.

Part of the appeal of these films is their very ridiculousness. The Freemasons and Illuminati have been the target of conspiracy-mongering and pop culture for years, but in this film we are treated to conspiracies and profundities undreamed of by even L. Fletcher Prouty. That the Founding Fathers would go to such immense trouble to hide such a HUGE treasure and then leave clues behind, scattered all over the world in extremely remote and unconnected places, only findable by Nicholas Cage is about as incredible as you can get. And yet, who cares? As second-rate pastiches of Indiana Jones, they could be a lot worse (especially considering that, as enjoyable as they are, the Indy films aren't particularly deep or plausible either). These movies aren't designed as anything deep, but rather, as something that will keep you entertained and then disappear from your mind until your next viewing.

The direction by Jon Turtletaub is thoroughly competent, a back-handed complement if there ever was one. The use of locations is something short of ingenious. The screenplay provides some good dialogue even if the story is literally all over the place. The action scenes are very curious; they're G-rated scenes actually, and even with guns going off and punches being exchanged, no one actually gets killed by violence throughout the whole film. As such they lack any real power, and yet manage to be compelling in a strange way.

The acting in these films is besides the point. Everyone is having a fun time and create passably likable ciphers. Nicholas Cage is well-cast in the lead, while Diane Kruger and Justin Bartha contribute pleasant if slight characters in support. Sean Bean seems to be the only one giving a performance, while Jon Voight, Christopher Plummer, and Harvey Keitel are clearly along for the ride. But in a film like this, no one's expecting the Royal Shakespeare Company.

So, in short, "National Treasure" is a watchable, reasonably entertaining action/adventure film if you can put your brain on hold for its run time. Just sit back and enjoy the fun.

Treasure hunting!

Author: kok_shangtang from Netherlands
31 December 2007

Well, after seeing the trailer of the second movie National Treasure: The book of Secrets, I watched this one at home. I really like to watch movies about conspiracies and treasure hunting with clues and things (like Da Vinci Code). While watching it I could really feel the tension of how they are chased by the "bad guys". The story kept me glued to the TV until the end, and the pace was good enough. The characters are worked out quite well, but you won't see any background info of them (except Ben Gates). In the end, they "bad guys" were quite stupid to believe them with the last clue. After seeing this one, I am very interested how the second movie will be.

Pure fun...

Author: jakeacts
30 December 2007

National Treasure is both smart and action packed. Yes it may be used to teach kids History but it actually works. You feel almost as if you are participating in the puzzles with the characters. The Masons and Templar treasure was nice treasure choice. Ben Gates is pretty cool and Riley makes you laugh while you go on the roller coaster ride. Overall, it's very enjoyable though it has flaws such as sometimes being far fetched but I like some of that in an adventure. Oh, and the bad guy is pretty evil. National Treasure is a heist, adventure/action movie that should keep you guessing and involved with the story until the end. I love movies that can make you see something extraordinary out of something ordinary and that's what National Treasure does and does it well. Jon Turtletaub I give you kudos for making a movie though fast and kinetic felt very down to earth and easy to follow. 8/10! Great good fun!

Two Thumbs Up!

Author: sugarcubeeee from United States
21 December 2007

I went to visit my friend one day. She said we had to watch National Treasure because she knew I would love it. I said in a bored voice,"Fine." I figured I wouldn't like the movie much because it's not what I usually watch. I was so wrong. I was on the edge of my seat during this awesome, action-packed movie. I enjoyed the big explosion at the beginning when they were looking for the treasure on The Charlotte. I loved how Riley was really funny and how amazingly huge that treasure room was. This movie is an awesome movie you can take the whole family to see and it won't be too boring or stupid. I recommend this movie to people who like humor, action, historical fiction, and slight romance. In this movie they combine all these cool things and pack it altogether in a movie that will delight almost anyone of any age. I really enjoyed this movie and it is now one of my favorites. Basically, I really like this movie and a bit of advice: Critics can be really wrong.

Better than expected

Author: Ryu_Darkwood from Netherlands
21 December 2007

I wanted to hate this movie on forehand, but when I evidently stumbled upon it, I watched it and now I must confess that it was better than expected. It's boyish adventure movie, feeling influenced by both Indiana Jones and The Da Vinci Code. It's action-packed, filled with good jokes and the sets are absolutely stunning. It does feel a bit too political correct at times, how different than the grumpy bastard that my all-time hero Indiana Jones was. Overall, I must say that this is a great flick to watch with your younger brother or son.

You'll be mildly entertained while the little one has the time of his life.

What are you talking about, Nic Cage can play a serious role.

Author: BK from United States
10 December 2007

You said he can't do a movie without having an any action in it. But he did the movie Leaving Las Vegas,a very serious role, in which he won a Oscar for. He also did Adaptation,another very serious role, in which he was nominated for an Oscar. He has also done different non action roles such as Matchstick Men,The Weather Man,a comedic role, The Family Man, Raising Arizona, and many other non action roles. So next time you're gonna trash a great actor's reputation,such as Nicolas Cage, you need to get your facts right. Because yoou can not be more wrong about Nicolas Cage not being able to play a non action role, and how can you not be a Nicolas Cage fan?

Wall Street & Trinity Church

Author: whpratt1 from United States
17 November 2007

This film goes back in history to the Declaration of Independence and a treasure hunter named Ben Gates, (Nicolas Cage) who decides to steal the Declaration of Independence which has a key to secret treasure which can be revealed on the back of the Declaration and leads to all kinds of clues. Ben Gates manages to get himself involved with Abigail Chase, (Diane Kruger) who works in a building in Washington, D.C. which houses the Declaration of Independence and is able to take complete control of the Declaration and finds the invisible map on the map of this document which indicates it has dealings with free masons or the Knights Templar and an eye over a pyramid clearly shows that the masons have a hidden treasures which leads to Broadway and Wall Street in New York City.

Great movie!!

Author: flbookworms from Florida
11 November 2007

I have watched this movie MANY times since it came out, and I still find it an exciting, adventurous, wonderful movie! It is like Indiana Jones in that it's a movie about treasure- seeking, but it is very clean and kid-friendly. There is not a single curse word or "questionable" scene in the entire thing. However, several of my friends have told me that they don't like the movie because the plot confuses them. This is not true. Yes, you have to follow the movie (i.e. you can't get up and come back 20 minutes later and expect to know what's going on), but you don't have to actually concentrate on the concept of the movie. The plot is very well defined. In short, this movie has great action, a good plot, it's historical (although slightly fictionalized), and it has excellent music! A general thumbs-up for all ages.

Author: erin1504 from United States
31 October 2007

Fasten your seat belt, the film National Treasure, is a real ride through time and history! Produced and directed by Jerry Bruckheimer and Jon Turteltaub, this film takes many twists and turns in trying to unravel the mystery of the a hidden secret kept through a family that dates back to the Knights of Templar. Partially ripped off from the best selling book, The Davinci Code, this movie takes an ordinary man, Benjamin Franklin Gates (Nicolas Cage), who finds out that his family has an extraordinary secret. Being the only one in his family besides his grandfather to believe in the fact that there is a secret to be revealed, Gates pursues the answer for most of his adult life. It was believed that the Knights of Templar were hiding a vast treasure which was passed on to be hidden by the Masons or in this case, the founding fathers of America. Benjamin is first introduced to this secret, when his grandfather, Patrick Henry Gates (Christopher Plummer), handed down to him a piece of the puzzle which is believed to be a clue in finding the treasure. This piece was handed down through the Gates family from Charles Carroll who was the last surviving signer of the Declaration of Independence. The first clue states that the "secret lies with Charlotte". This greatly puzzles Gates, but he remembers through history an event of an expedition with a ship named Charlotte. After many years of searching, he discovers the Charlotte, and clues aboard the ship lead him to believe that clues are written in invisible ink on the back of the Declaration of Independence. After thought, Gates decides to steal the Declaration of Independence in order to continue his quest for the treasure. While stealing the document, he meets a National Archivist (Diane Kruger) who insists they team up to keep it away from the villain figure (Sean Bean), and so she can insure the safety of the document. They become close through out the film creating a romantic side story. Many chases and close calls occur throughout the film, but somehow, Gates always manages to get away and find a new clue that all have to do with something historically within United States History. Being close to discovering the secret his father who did not believe is now convinced to join in. Eventually, they find themselves in a mine shaft beneath a church tomb and the clues do lead to a treasure, but there are still some questions unanswered. The heroes in this film are put through many tests. All of the elements to a great film are in this movie plot: action, adventure, speculation and a love story, but I it is not played out as well as I would have hoped. Having seen The Davinci Code, it is too much alike and not as believable. The search for the Holy Grail is one thing that is more realistic than finding invisible writing on the back of the Declaration of Independence that was stolen and then discovering a massive treasure. Overall the movie is well thought out and all of the elements help to create flow to the plot line. The actors/actresses were adequate and, I thought, well cast for the roles. Nicolas Cage, I would not have pictured in this film, but he did a great job fulfilling the role. This film is one that I would recommend for younger children and young adults who like the mystery sort of film. There is a sequel that will be coming out in December of this year and hopefully it will be just as good, but a little bit more believable.

A Nice Slice of Adventure for the Whole Family

Author: mjw2305 from England
14 October 2007

National Treasure feels similar to films like Indiana Jones and Tomb Raider, and its brought to us by Walt Disney Pictures in its usual tradition. The film is quite thought provoking, without ever being complex; it has some large flaws in the plot, but it is easily forgiven and its just slightly magical and charming in it's presentation.

Niclolas Cage, Diane Kruger and Sean Bean take the lead, and they are excellently supported by John Voight, Harvey Keitel, Christopher Plummer and Justin Bartha. Every one involved is at least adequate without any member of the cast stealing the show, and there's enough Action, Mystery, Adventure and Humour here to entertain the whole family quite easily.

Just take it at face value, sit back and enjoy; trust me its just good fun.

An action packed, high speed search for the treasure, and it's FUN to watch!

Author: Daniel Jaeger from United States
29 September 2007

When I borrowed this movie from a friend, I just couldn't stop watching it! The Special Effects, Actors, Humor, Settings, and Story were some of the best I have ever seen! I like how it begins, I like how it continues, and I like how it ends. If you like action packed, thrilling adventures, this movie is for you! There is only one problem though, ONLY ONE. This would have been a great family movie, safe for everyone, IF they would have just left out the bad language and "immodist" dressing. Otherwise, this movie couldn't have been done better. If you have seen this movie, you know exactly what I mean. If you have not seen it, what are you waiting for??? Watch the movie, and leave your positive feedback like everyone else.

-Daniel Jaeger

Globe-Trotting adventure of epic proportions!

Author: clck2001 from United States
10 September 2007

Research. Plot. Understand. Decipher. Listen. FULL SPEED AHEAD! That is the style of this movie, which is truly one of the greatest caper movies of all time. For all of you out there who have not yet seen this movie, it is about Ben Gates, played by Nicolas Cage in a winning performance as a treasure hunter who is seeking a treasure beyond all of his dreams, imaginations, and thoughts, a treasure that has been hidden for centuries. But there is one problem: the clue to finding the treasure is on the back of the Declaration of Independence- but in invisible ink! The plot carries its own weight from there on. Nicolas Cage is the hero, Justin Bartha is the weird geek along for comedic relief, Diane Kruger is the very attractive female counterpart to Gates, Voight is the never believing father, Mr. Gates, Keitel is the detective who is determined to make sure that somebody goes to jail for this whole mess, Bean is Ian who was once Gates friend, but, because of greed, he becomes the badguy not long after the movie has started. The viewer, when first watching this movie, may think that Bean is at a disadvantage, since he has ditched Gates and Riley. But not so. Bean is very smart in his own inventive and original way. However, he is not as smart as Gates. That is why Gates is always one step ahead of him. Sure, this movie does have clichés, but who cares? I do not think it is a copy off of the Da Vinci Code or Indiana Jones. Something cannot be called a copy off of something else just because they have some things in common with each other. Those things are similarities, not copies. Besides, even if the similarities are too good to be true, I do not mind. The reason for this is that as long as a movie is good and can hold my attention, I will suspend my disbelief and act like the similarities are not even there. After a while, I forget all about the similarities and clichés, and just sit down and watch a good action/adventure movie.

When a ripoff turns out better than the original

Author: elcopy from United States
27 August 2007

When a ripoff turns out better than the original

There's no doubt that National Treasure is a ripoff of the Da Vinci Code, set in the United States instead of Europe. The strange thing is, the ripoff turned out a better movie. It has all the action, adventure, joy and fun Da Vinci Code failed to deliver.

It's still far from being the best movie ever, but it's absolutely entertaining. Nicolas Cage beats Tom Hanks to a pulp.

I think they would have made Da Vinci Code a SEQUEL to this movie. If you're a fan of Dan Brown's book, you'll enjoy this movie. Skip the awful Ron Howard adaptation and watch this instead.

A good, clean, action and suspense-filled film!

Author: susannacoleking from New Zealand
12 August 2007

I first sat down and watched National Treasure on a bored, and lazy summer day, in which I reasoned I had nothing better to do. I had seen the movie promoted on Disney Channel (my little brother's favorite channel, it's almost always on at home) and racked it up to be just another cheesy kid flick that was hardly worth my time.

When the movie finished, I was a bit dazed, because I wondered how it ended so fast. Hadn't I just started it? This rarely happens to me, when watching a movie. What can I say? I'm a hyperactive, distracted kind of girl and even if a movie is well done, I usually find myself checking the clock at some point during the film's run, but not with National Treasure. This little "Disney kid flick", what I had assumed it to be, had taken my entire focus and attention, and I wasn't even aware it had.

National Treasure has a strong cast that click, and a plot threaded with history without feeling, even remotely, like some afternoon educational PBS program. The movie takes on action, partnered with suspense, and even a little romance, for a ride that will keep the viewer guessing until the end. (At least it did for me; and this is coming from someone who usually spots predictable plots from the movie's trailer).

Rare is the action/suspense film that doesn't have at least a PG-13 rating, if not an R rating. This is one of the few there is, and the only one I have found well worth a viewing…if not a few.

Awesome Movie, One of Bruckheimer's best

Author: Rcwilkinson123 from United States
5 July 2007

"National Treasure" takes you back to Indiana Jones, but instead of being set in the 1940s with Nazis and biblical artifacts, it's set in the modern day with true and historically relevant artifacts, which makes the film all the better. Basically, it is a more-relatable Indiana Jones, while remaining clean but very exciting.

"National Treasure" is a very interesting take on something that we all know, or should know, so well in the Declaration of Independence. Because the story is set in historically relevant places in the Eastern U.S., it makes the film all the more exciting. In addition, all the actors do a great job. A very fun story. 3/4 stars

Not perfect, but still an excellent adventure.

Author: sanfordrm from United States
30 June 2007

I agree that this film is not as good as "Raiders Of The Lost Ark", but will ANY film ever dethrone the king of adventure movies? I don't think so. As such, this film is a slight grade lower than the all-time champion. However, it doesn't mean this film is bad. Far from it.

I thought the story was original and quite good. Is it a ridiculous idea for a HUGE treasure to be hidden by some of America's greatest historical figures? You bet. But, that's the concept of treasure-hunting films. The prizes are supposed to be massive, unbelievable amounts of wealth. That's the point of being a "treasure".

What makes this film so much fun, is how they've taken commonly seen US historical items and places, and turned them into pieces to the big puzzle. They don't change history, just tweak it a little to fit their film. It worked for many films in the past ("Titanic", and "Pearl Harbor"), and it works here.

I highly recommend this film, especially to those who like American history. It's a fun movie.

A Roller-Coaster Ride Through History (Real and Imagined)

Author: GalaxyGal from Tyngsborough, MA, USA
30 June 2007

"National Treasure" is the kind of movie that made movie-goers (at least this one) think of "Raiders of the Lost Ark," and it presaged "The Da Vinci Code" by a year. If you haven't seen this before, here's the story; it's not easy, and it's convoluted (with a potential for spoilers, so be prepared). The last living signer of the Declaration of Independence is dying, and he tries to get to Washington to see the President, but it's raining, it's late, Andrew Jackson is out somewhere, and Thomas Carroll tells his coach-tiger, a boy named Thomas Gates, a secret about the Templars' treasure that the Masons hid in the New World. For nearly 200 years, descendants of Gates have tried to find the mythical, disbelieved treasure, and failed in their attempts.

Fast forward to now, and Benjamin Franklin Gates (played by Nicolas Cage, who looks *much* better than Bill Gates) is on the trail of the ship Charlotte, in the frozen wastes of the Arctic somewhere, with a shifty 'philanthropist' named Ian Howe (played by Sean Bean). They find the Charlotte frozen in the ice, then Ian double-crosses Ben and his geek assistant, Riley.

After that, it's a roller-coaster ride to Washington, D.C., in a futile attempt to convince authorities that the Declaration of Independence is at risk. Ben decides to steal the Declaration to keep Ian from stealing and destroying it in his desire for treasure. It highlights the differences between "hunters" (Ian and his thugs) and "gatherers" (Ben and Riley, later with Abigail): Ian goes in with chains, explosives, drills, saws, tasers, guns--he has no respect for property, life, or history and context. Ben and Riley use their brains: plans, fake i.d., wireless communications, an understanding of the historic value of the Declaration, sleight of hand (a copy of the Declaration), heroic values (Ben rescues Abigail from Ian and thugs after they kidnap her).

From Washington, after Ben and Abigail discover a significant clue on the back of the Declaration (and bring Ben's father into this mess), the action moves to Philadelphia; our heroes are chased by the FBI, Ben is caught, Abigail and Riley make a deal with Ian; we end with all the major players in New York City. Ian doesn't play fair and drags Ben's dad into the mix--and now for something completely different!--we fall into an 'Indiana Jones' movie, which is not a bad thing in this case, actually. And to learn if they find anything, and what they find if they do, you'll just have to rent this little gem and find out.

Did the Templars and FreeMasons have an ancient treasure they hid in the New World? Probably not, but dang, you'll want it to be true after watching this movie! Diane Kruger is feisty and elegant as Abigail Chase, the director of the National Archives. I'd be happy if Nicolas Cage cranked out a goofily romantic comedy every year, because he does it (goofy and romantic) so well (even in "Ghost Rider"). Diane and Nick reminded me a bit of Kate Hepburn and Jimmy Stewart in "The Philadelphia Story" (hmmm...); but she doesn't have the forcefulness or dramatic 'weight' Katherine Hepburn had, so maybe they're channeling Grace Kelly and Cary Grant from "To Catch a Thief" (that's good, Cary Grant was in "Philadelphia Story" too).

Everyone complains about sequels, but this is the kind of movie I'd like to see a sequel to--adventure with no gratuitous violence, a hint of romance with no obvious sex, and 'positive' values (respect for history--heck, just plain respect). Throw in historic locations and stirring 'national monument' theme music (think John Williams when he was at the Boston Pops), and you get a fun, surprising, and thoughtful adventure movie.

A Fantastic Action Adventure!

Author: moviewizguy from United States
28 June 2007

Benjamin Franklin Gates descends from a family of treasure-seekers who've all hunted for the same thing: a war chest hidden by the Founding Fathers after the Revolutionary War. Ben's close to discovering its whereabouts, as is his competition, but the FBI is also hip to the hunt.

This film is the definition of entertainment: Although with a ridiculous plot similar to "The Da Vinci Code", I found the movie really entertaining and a really great film! There are a few action scenes but the scenes that take their place are interesting. It doesn't bore you for a two hour movie. I found myself in pure excitement throughout the movie.

I also find this movie a lot less boring than the Pirates of the Caribbean films. At least it gives you some interesting historical facts. I also find the score really good! It feels thrilling and a great use for an action film. The action sequences (although not many) are done fantastically. They were thrilling and suspenseful.

Nicolas Cage's performances is good. Diane Kruger's performance is nice and sexy and Justin Bartha was the comic relief of the film. In my opinion, he's my favorite character. The CGI in the film was also very well done. I don't like the fact that people didn't like this film because the plot is ludicrous. Don't mind it if you're watching this film. It's for entertainment purposes.

If you would like to see a great action adventure without minding the ludicrous plot, you'll like it! It has great characters, action scenes, and interesting historical facts (you will learn something new). It's fun throughout, even for a two hour movie.

Excellent, fictional story based on historical materials we all know about

Author: robertsd-4 from United States
10 June 2007

This is an exciting, well acted, intelligent thriller, with a good bit of humor thrown in. Good for the whole family. Raises some interesting historical ideas that may provoke some viewers to delve into American History. A good result.

I am a Nicolas Cage fan, so I enjoyed him. The rest of the cast, however, really made it easy for Cage to "do his thing". The chemistry between Cage and Krueger developed well over the course of the movie. The side characters helped with the story as well, particularly Jon Voight, Harvey Kitel and Sean Bean (plays a great villain), and Cage's "partner" Riley who is the comedic straight man for the many light hearted moments in the movie that carries everyone along and gives some fun breaks to the action.

The decoding of the cypher was done very well, with a lot of imagination. Well done.

Excellent Movie!!

Author: fjmiddleton from United States
19 May 2007

This is one of Nicholas Cage's best movies! It offers something for everyone: suspense, mystery, excitement, humor, etc. I love the characters as they ALL offer a unique aspect of what they are trying to achieve. It gets you thinking, "Could any of this be true?" Part of me (and my husband) wishes it was because that would be so exciting. Our country has an amazing history and this movie expands on what we know and maybe even what we want to believe. The second one comes out in December 2007 and I'll bet it too will be an awesome movie! Watch it; you won't be disappointed!! There is not other show out there that can compare to the plot in this show.

A pretty good action/adventure with a great mystery

Author: hchais from United States
27 April 2007

This movie is not that bad. It has a great story with one of the greatest mysteries in a movie ever. It has pretty good acting with enough action to keep you entertained. The story starts out pretty good and ends pretty good. There's not a lot that I can tell you right now, but its pretty good. I don't know what else there is to say right now. Just ignore the next couple of lines because I have to do 10 lines. It is a good movie. It is a good movie. Go see it now. Go see it now. It is a good movie. It is a good movie. Go see it now. Go see it now. It is a good movie. It is a good movie. Go see it now. Go see it now. Fool.

Excellent Historical Adventure

Author: grandslam40 from United States
14 April 2007

I just watched this movie for the third time and it is such a spectacular movie. The action scenes were top of the line and the acting was terrific. Nicolas Cage shined as the lead, portraying Ben Gates, the persistent treasure hunter who looks for a long lost treasure. Diane Kruger held her own as leading lady and history enthusiast, Abigael Chase. In my opinion though it was Justin Bartha who stole the show as Riley, Cage's assistant. He had some great lines and actually influenced the plot as well as made you laugh. Jon Voight and Sean Bean were great in their supporting roles.

I love learning about history and watching movies that have to do with history and this movie was top-notch. You will learn some very interesting facts about history.

Combine this with one of the best scores I have heard since Pirates of the Caribbean and you have a tremendous movie treasure hunt that is definitely worth watching. Watch it and go along for the ride with Nick...you will not be disappointed.

great

Author: bitchonwheelsx3
13 April 2007

definitely one of my favorite movies. it isn't a pointless movie. it has depth, and it forces you to think. all of the acting is excellent, and im excited for the second one. i think I've seen this movie about 50 times, and it never seems to get old. nicholas cage is terrific, although it is riley who truly makes the movie for me. i find myself hysterically laughing at the same jokes every time i watch it. his delivery and comedic timing are incredible.

all around great movie. everyone should see it. this movie is historical, with mystery and action. it fulfills almost all of the movie genres, all in one fantastic movie.

Fun movie

Author: stacew from United States
8 April 2007

Regardless of any supposed historical errors, the movie was pure entertainment. It was nice to watch a movie that had nothing offensive in it. sometimes its good to have a break from gore and sex and cursing and so forth. I think this a very good for kids.

Nick Cage is not one of my favorite actors but he was pretty good in this movie. I definitely will buy this for my personal collection. also, the movie made me interested in learning more about the Masons and the Templar knights, and about the historical cities of our country. Yes, we learn a lot of this in school during history class, but at that age, are we really truly interested in it? Probably not.

Entertaining & Exciting. Surprisingly Good Movie.

Author: scubergmu from Fairfax, Virginia
7 April 2007

I was actually pleasantly surprised with this movie. After just one viewing, I'm forced to admit that you'd really be hard pressed to have a real problem with National Treasure. I really cannot stand Nicolas Cage generally speaking, and the same goes for producer Jerry Bruckheimer. But in this case, they managed to come up with an entertaining, yet informative film, that actually managed to be rife with American history lessons & pro-American sentiment, without being intensely sappy and cloying. Perhaps even more surprising was the fact that they kept the violence and death in the film to a minimum. As a result, families could actually watch this movie without the kids getting inundated with killing and gore. Of course, those same kids will get their daily dosage of that when they go home that night and watch CSI, but that's not the point. At least this film isn't part of that problem.

I guess for me, another appealing aspect of this movie was the fact that it gave me a good feeling regarding my country for a change. In my opinion, our country's leadership today is a cruel joke. So to have a film that takes us on a look back at the great & unique achievements of leaders like Franklyn, Washington, Jefferson, & Madison, that was kinda cool.

Even though National Treasure was only intended to be an entertaining summer popcorn flick, I feel that it was still impressive in its ability to teach us about our country's past & wrap that into a vibrant action movie that could be equally good as a family outing or a date movie. Check it out.

Diane Kruger's 15 second claim to fame

Author: richard_sleboe from Germany
22 March 2007

Treasure hunter Benjamin Franklin Gates (Nicolas Cage) shows up at his father's doorstep in the middle of the night with a nondescript blonde (Diane Kruger) by his side. Gates (Jon Voight) hasn't seen his son in ages, so naturally he thinks junior is in trouble. More specifically, he assumes Ben has knocked up nondescript blondie and isn't ready for the whole family thing. Old man Gates readily offers to help out with abortion funding. Says nondescript blondie, checking her silhouette with a troubled look on her face: "Do I look pregnant?" It is this moment, and this line, courtesy of Jim Kouf, that Diane Kruger will be remembered for. That being said, she is about as believable as a scientist as Dr. Christmas Jones in "T.W.I.N.E.", but at least Denise Richards looked hot in her desert boots. The rest of the movie is a surprisingly engaging blend of conspiracy thriller, action flic, and road movie. Cage comes across as a nerdy Indiana Jones type, fun to watch on his quest for the Mayflower's lost cargo.

nice adventure

Author: zoomz
10 March 2007

Despite the many critics, I personally enjoyed this film. It is a packed with action, a full-of-wits kind of race. It's the perfect break from a stressful week at work for me. Unlike what I expected, it was not so much of the serious I-must-find-the-treasure sort of film, partly thanks to Riley Poole who always manages to lighten up the atmosphere with his clever lines. Also, it was fascinating how the whole plot seems to click together, from the Charlotte to the Trinity Church. Many had thought that it was rather far-fetched. I agree. Well, who could get the answer to the Charlotte's riddle in a matter of minutes? You can't expect the Declaration of Independence to be stolen that easily. However, we can't expect a thriller about treasure hunting to be 100% credible either, can we? Basically, I guess the good guys are witty enough and the bad guys are crafty enough to make this whole treasure-hunting race exciting. Well, if you overlook those unbelievable details of the film, it makes a really exciting adventure.

All round enjoyable film!

Author: caz from England
4 March 2007

I went to see this film at the cinema what it first came out...and was really happy with what i saw.

Good, believable characters. Nicolas Cage brilliantly plays Ben Gates, who believes that the treasure his for fathers have been searching for is real, and is on a quest to find it once and for all. His best friend, Riley Poole plays the role of the goofy sidekick in helping with the search. Sean Bean plays Ian Howe, someone who is also after this treasure, and will stop at NOTHING to find it.

Gripping storyline. Its up to Ben and Riley to uncover the clues and secrets to try and find the treasure Ben's ancestors have been searching for. With a little help from a couple more characters, they believe that they are finally on the last stretch to find the treasure. Unfortunately, Ian is also looking for the treasure, and wont let anyone get in his way.

Good, enjoyable film for the whole family, a must see for any adventure/treasure finding film fan.

Surprisingly funny, clever, and warm!

Author: jooyoonchung from United States
26 February 2007

Fans of the "historical treasure hunt" genre will undoubtedly note similarities to Indiana Jones, however, the way National Treasure refers to its venerable ancestor feels like a tribute, rather than a poor attempt at credibility or plot borrowing. The best part of this film are the characters. Aside from the bad guys, the characters feel quite natural - each with his/her idiosyncrasies, but not so much stereotyped that the character didn't seem real. The dialogue is a bit hammy every now and then, but not bad; the hamminess is tolerable given how clever the dialogue is otherwise. The characters' lines, in fact, their actions, not only do the job of moving the script along, but also implicitly help to make clear their intentions, and how they perceive the intentions of the others.

All in all, very well done!

Enjoyable action film which educates about American history

Author: maxd11 from United Kingdom
4 February 2007

Exactly what a movie should be - enjoyable suspension of reality with treasure, history, patriotism and hi-tech crime all thrown into the mix.

Okay, it's not Con Air or The Rock but it is a quality film nonetheless.

All the characters are believable apart from Jon Voight whose too good an actor for this part, the locations are interesting and the weaving of history into fiction result in a movie which, if you come from outside America, could spark your interest in all the monuments in Washington and how they came to exist i.e. National Archives, Liberty Bell, Independence Hall to name but a few.

Enjoyable Family-Friendly Caper

Author: robmeister from Riverside, California
3 February 2007

I heard big things about this movie from the get-go, and I must say that most of those things are right. When Jerry Brickheimer started producing films for Disney, I began to wonder why. But in the end, it looks like a good marriage. To date, the Bruckheimer/Disney team seems to fare pretty well, and "National Treasure" is a testament to that union.

Nicolas Cage stars as Benjamin Franklin Gates, with Jon Voight playing his father, Patrick Henry Gates. And Christopher Plummer makes a brief appearance as Ben's grandfather, John Adams Gates (do you see a pattern here?). Okay, enough about the Gates family. I thought it was an interesting way to present the Gates family and their ties to American history.

The whole movie centers around the Declaration of Independence, on the back of which lays the final clue for the secret location of the legendary Treasure of the Knights Templar. Early in the film, Gates leads a party to a clue that points to the Declaration, and some of that party, lead by the "questionably legal" Ian Howe (Sean Bean), split off. From this moment, the chase is on.

Gates and his assistant, the eager Rigley Poole (Justin Bartha) try to warn authorities, but all of them, including archivist Dr. Abigail Chase (Diane Kruger), laugh them off. At this point, any further plot points may be considered spoilers for those who haven't seen this movie yet, so I will stop here.

For the most part, the performances were pretty good, though I did have a hard time believing Jon Voight as 30 years younger in the opening scene, which takes place in 1974. The wig and make-up he wore didn't help much, either (It's almost as bad as that awful get-up he wore as Howard Cosell in "Ali").

I did enjoy the action scenes for the most part. There were a couple of chase-scene clichés thrown in, but they still worked. And for those of you who wonder if your child can watch this movie, it's okay, trust me. The creepiness factor is at most moderate (a few brief glimpses of long-dead bodies), there is some gun-play (but only from the bad guys, and no one gets hurt), only one person dies (off-camera), and I can recall maybe one or two (very) mild profanities. Besides, it's a PG-rated Disney film.

One thing I can say about this movie is that it is somewhat reminiscent of action films of the late-1940s and early-1950s. This is an enjoyable family-friendly movie, and it will entertain you and make you think (but not too much).

You can watch this movie again and again and again..........

Author: ceecat1 from United States
17 January 2007

This movie was a nice surprise. The story is very entertaining, things are explained well and it might even leave you wanting to do a little research on your own. Cage was his dry humorous self and the cast of characters around him was well matched. It has humor and suspense and just a bit of danger. It would be hard to get tired of this movie. All of the places they visit are real and they make it sound so plausible. It is nice to see a good, clean adventure flick. I can say that I have seen this movie at least 5 time or more. I always stop to watch it even when I have it on just for background noise while I am hanging out around the house. I would recommend this movie to anyone, unless you hate US history or hate Nicholas Cage. Other than that I think you would really enjoy National Treasure.

A Good Movie That Anyone Can Enjoy

Author: CrassActionHero from United States
1 January 2007

National Treasure(2004) Review: Disney makes a new movie. This can be more described like Indiana Jones Lite. This is a good movie.

National Treasure has a interesting story. There is a mighty treasure that is considered to great for any man on earth. A group of knights make a pack and hide the treasure. It has been hidden for centuries. Now Ben Gates(Nic Cage) intends to find this treasure.

This movie just delivers. This given a PG rating is a really fun movie. Anyone can enjoy this as there is no profanity, and no bad language here to worry about, so bring the kids. There is some fun action sequences here as well.

Gates intends to steal the Declaration of Independence for there is a map on the back. How would that be done? The plan is intelligent and clever too. It's a blast to see how he can do the impossible.

This movie is also given an attractive cast. The acting is in fine form. From known regulars as Jon Voight to Harvey Keitel, to new faces as Diane Kruger and Justin Bartha, we got a good movie.

The Last Word: Good clean fun. National Treasure is a really fun ride. Enjoyable for the adults and clean for the kids too. Movies like this are fine. A movie that is good for all ages and is not animated. Recommended.

What "The Da Vinci Code" tried to be:

Author: Galina from Virginia, USA
3 December 2006

Very similar in its subject to "The Da Vinci Code" (2006), "National Treasure" solved all the clues and did it with humor, great pace, and style. Its genre is defined as Action / Adventure / Drama / Mystery / Thriller but it is also one of the best comedies of 2004 and loads of fun. I liked it from the beginning but when Harvey Keitel showed up in the middle of the movie and stayed, I knew it would be even better. Comparing to DVC, NT did not try hard not to offend anyone and got away with the ridiculous holes in the plot and a bit overlong final part. It is funny, thrilling, and does exactly what is supposed to - entertains. I only hope that they will not make any sequels to it - sequels don't work as a rule.

great

Author: krazy_kitty_13 from Australia
15 October 2006

i think this movie is fantastic! how could the critics give it a poor rating/comment. i found this movie to be highly entertaining with a strong plot line. if you have not yet seen this movie then you have to rent it and watch it straight away! this movie was the best i have seen in a long time. the way this movie has been constructed is fantastic and it sends out a good moral point. starring Nicolas Cage as the strong willed main character known as Ben Gates. Nic's performance in this movie was great a ten out of ten. this movie is packed with suspense and is a movie the whole could watch. i highly recommend you watch this movie.

Great film, except for one major, gigantic, fatal flaw...

Author: Skip_4591 from USA
27 August 2006

...and that flaw is, that this movie is an exact ripoff of the davinci code.

Now don't get me wrong, this movie is entertaining, fun, and thrilling. But it rips off the davinci code way too much.

Here are some examples: (note, these contain spoilers from both this and the davinci code)

DAVINCI: A man and a woman must uncover a secret before a mysterious man does, while constantly on the run from an unyielding agent and his force. TREASURE: Two men and a woman must uncover a secret before their former partner does, while constantly on the run from an unyielding agent and his force.

DAVINCI: A team member betrays the main characters. TREASURE: A team member betrays the main characters.

Now, the only difference in the above is that in davinci, the betrayal happens much later, for throughout the book, we don't know that the eventual betrayer is already betraying. however, we also learn that the mysterious man is the former team member, so switch "mysterious man" with "former team member" in the above plot descriptions and you'll see how much more national treasure is a ripoff. anyway:

DAVINCI: After taking something from a bank, the main characters travel away in an armored van and discuss the situation. TREASURE: After taking something from a museum, the main characters travel away in a service van and discuss the situation.

DAVINCI: The knight's templar hides and protects the grail. TREASURE: The knight's templar hides and protects the treasure.

DAVINCI: The things the templar found gave them enormous power. TREASURE: The treasure the templar found gave them enormous power.

DAVINCI: Most of the action takes place in 1 night. TREASURE: Most of the action takes place in about a day.

DAVINCI: The leading man and woman fall in love at the end. TREASURE: The leading man and woman fall in love at the end.

DAVINCI: The main character is an artifact expert. TREASURE: The main character is an artifact expert.

DAVINCI: The leading woman works for the government. TREASURE: The leading woman works for the government.

DAVINCI: In the beginning, the two main characters escape the Louve with a coded message. TREASURE: In the beginning, the two leading males escape the National Archives with a document containing a coded message.

DAVINCI: The two main characters are lead throughout the story by codes. TREASURE: The three main characters are lead throughout the story by codes.

DAVINCI: In one part, Teabing shows the two main characters another layer of the last supper painting, convincing the female lead that the stories the male lead told her were true. TREASURE: In one part, Gates uncovers another layer of the declaration, convincing the female lead that the stories he told were true.

DAVINCI: The male lead finds what he's looking for under the sign of the rose. TREASURE: The male lead finds what he's looking for under some sort of sign (i forgot what it was)

DAVINCI: We all learn that the secret is too great for the world. TREASURE: We all learn that the treasure is too great for one man.

DAVINCI: There are scenes, in chronological order, in a museum, a highway, a mansion (where the female lead is convinced totally of the male lead's ambition), the streets outside the church, and a church. TREASURE: There are scenes, in chronological order, in a museum, a highway, a house (where the female lead is convinced totally of the male lead's ambition), the streets outside the church, and a church.

DAVINCI: The mysterious man, aka former teammate, hires an assassin/tough guy to do his bidding and chase the main characters and the treasure. TREASURE: The former teammate has his team with guns do his bidding and chase the main characters and the treasure.

DAVINCI: The bad guys hold the old friend hostage in a church and kidnap him. TREASURE: The bad guys kidnap the old father and hold him hostage in a church.

DAVINCI: The agent has the main character work for him for a little bit, and then the main character escapes. TREASURE: The agent has the main character work for him for a little bit, and then the main character escapes.

DAVINCI: The main characters read the messages with black light. TREASURE: The main characters read the map with ultraviolet bifocals.

DAVINCI: The main characters must run all across Europe to find the location of the grail. TREASURE: The main characters must run all across America to find the location of the treasure.

...and there may be more ripped-off, unoriginal ideas.

But, that all aside, National Treasure is a great movie. It's fun for the whole family, fast-paced, and just a great adventure. When I gave this a 10, i was leaving out the fact that it was a ripoff of the davinci code. I rate movies based on what they are, not what they look like or should be. However, if I did rate it and included the fact that it was a davinci ripoff, I would've given it only a 5.

But taking away the fact that this is a dumbed-down copy ripoff of the davinci code, the movie is fantastic and fun.

So, if you're looking for something original that you've never seen before, then forget about seeing this, because it's not. It's unoriginal to the max. But if you just want to be entertained for a couple of hours, then this is the movie for you.

Forgetting about the davinci code, I give this a 10 out of 10.

What A Cracker (In The words of Frank Carson)

Author: CatoTSR2 from United Kingdom
20 August 2006

Well what can I say! Lets try, This was the Blue Ribband of the 2005 action three. IE Sahara/Stealth and this Gem: Casting was near perfect, apart from the fact, that I keep getting Deja-Vu' thinking that I am seeing Sean Bean playing similar roles, (Admittedly he was not that bad). The story was fantastic, no real dodgy moments! I saw it on the big screen, bought it on DVD, watch it at least once every two months, no problems it is as fresh as when I was en thrilled by it on its first occasion: I'm very glad that there was none of the usual mushy bits, the chemistry between Cage and Kruger was the right balance:This is a great piece of history put in a story which could actually sound feasible! The Masonic connection was excellent, possibly a good Public relations exercise for "The Fraternal Brotherhood"; I wonder. "Could that be the sequel": (Copyright please?).Only joking!!!

Someone's in love with America....

Author: Sian Gregory from United Kingdom
19 August 2006

I really didn't like this film. Yes some bits were good with the little bits of action and the end was imaginative with the fire etc.. but i just felt it was a film showing off Americas HUGE history, which is only about 200 hundreds years...

Yes it was interesting to see how each clue linked to the other but really who else in the world wants to be educated on Americas history at the cinema? not me.

If you want to learn history then watch this film its has a FEW good bits, otherwise don't watch it. Don't get me wrong it would be good if i loved America and was interested to know its history, i just love its food :D

Spectacular Treasure

Author: Floyd Maxwell (floyd@just-think-it.com) from United States
18 August 2006

Does anyone appreciate greatness any more?

This movie is not about history or historical accuracy. It is about excitement, entertainment, perfect filming, intricate story and superb sound & music. Last I checked these are the things normal people want from a movie.

Maybe there aren't enough F words. Maybe it needed Sandler, Stiller or Seth. Maybe not.

Bruckheimer is "bloody marvelous". This movie tops The Rock, by a fair margin. I can't wait for some commentary tracks.

Not to be missed.

Thrilling Adventure

Author: alyajgrl from United States
5 August 2006

I'm not a big fan of history, but this movie caught my eye. As I watched it, I thought, "Wow, this is the best movie I've ever seen." It would take you places, like a really good book that you can't put down. It's sort of like an Indiana Jones movie; it's full of action, suspense, and excitement, and it will definitely keep you on the edge of your seat, eager to see what will happen next. Also, Nicolas Cage did an absolutely fantastic job being Ben Gates. He did so well, that I'm looking forward to seeing some other movies that he starred in. This movie was definitely a thrilling adventure for me, and I ended up making it my favorite movie ever. But I would not recommend it for young children (8 years or under) to watch, because some action violence occurs in a few scenes. However, for anyone else, I'm sure it will be the treasure hunt of a lifetime.

This Movie = The de Vanci Code (in another version, even better, but just less famous)

Author: Average Joe from Canada
24 June 2006

In nowadays movies, movie producers focus too much into the action, rather than actually making the "MOVIE." People read books, watch TV, and read newspaper, are all do for one simple purpose, which is to know the STORY. And shouldn't the Movie be placed in the same category as well? There are so many movies out there that have big name, and very exciting trailer, but when you actually watch it, you can forget it in less than a day. And to be honest with you, I think those movies are made base on the actions, then they just tried to scramble out some story lines, which would make it an officially called, movie, rather than a SHOW. My personal favorite movies that have good stories plot would be like: The Beautiful Mind and Forrest Gump. But even for action movies, I think there should be some elements of drama, story telling, and "Common Sense." Not just crash some bulk expansive Cadillac, BMW, or helicopters. And I do understand that when making the movie, we cannot expect everything to be 'making sense,' (like it's impossible for a guy to turn into a spider man in a day). But at lease, some details in the film have to be Understandable. (how could a new employed ordinary young girl, who drives a poor, broken car, and happen to have a laptop that has some kind of satellite wireless internet connection, to track down animals,,, can you figure it out?) Well,, often beside the story, 2nd thing that I would look for ,, is the sound tracks. Because I believe the sound track is almost everything that sometime is more powerful than any elements in the movie, it's like the sugar in the dessert. And those are the guide line for me to judge a movie. So if you agree what I said, I strongly recommend you to watch this movie, it is a movie that is actually be WORTH watching. Really !!!! Enjoy ;)

Entertaining

Author: from UK
21 May 2006

This film is what you expect to see.. nothing great, amazing or exceptional but something that will keep you entertained. And that is what it is, and it isn't bad at it (at all). The story keeps moving at a quick pace and it keeps your interest throughout. There's an extra point if you like your history in this one. Even if you don't know your American history, it's a great way to pick up a few facts! Definitely not Cage's best film but it is a rather great adventure. Diane Kruger is kind of wasted as Abigail who is little more than the 'trophy-girlfriend' type.. the chick of the film. Overall this is a good one to munch away to your popcorn, watch it! You'll enjoy it if you like an adventure.

Gripping wee film

Author: lewis-bennet from United Kingdom
10 April 2006

I think it was very entertaining and quite a bit like Indiana Jones all over the place. Wanna see a gripping wee film with a bit of Gates brainpower and loads of action on the treasure trail? You will love it, so will your kids from 8 upwards -) Liked to see good old Chris Plummer in a cameo as the grandfather, liked all the technical gadgets, miles better than your usual hit & run & treasure seeking movie, from the Northpole to New Jersey and New York not to forget Washingron DC - with lots of little not overpowering history bits about the declaration of independence. And why not? US Americans are proud of their history.

And so they should be - 1776 happened before the French Revolution and influenced Europe from there on. May be they are taking a wee bit too much of that now. Still, well done America and Disney.

The National Treasure

Author: cancatan from United Kingdom
9 March 2006

The movie is containing the free-masonic elements. But some of the free-masonic elements are misguided such as the Knights of the Temple, All Seeing Eye. This was also agreed by other blockbuster movie geeks as well. Additional to this the movie can not answer the most basic questions about its plot. How the cash-strapped American Revolutionaries did have their hands on all this loot (in gold and ancient artifacts) in the first place? Why (and how) would they build an air-plane-hanger-sized temple six stories underground to store it instead of a putting it in museums, or b) selling it to fund their rebellion against the British? See Rob Blackwelder comment on to the movie. But the movie contains the dynamic action and the preparation of the story was in good level.

Seems to be living in the hype of "The Da Vinci Code".

Author: monkeeking from New York
17 January 2005

"National Treasure" is an action-adventure film that tells the story of a descendant from a line of treasure hunters. The descendant, Benjamin Gates (Nicolas Cage), follows in the dreams of his forbearers by seeking a treasure that was originally the Knights Templar's war booty from the Crusades. When the knights decided that the riches were too much for one man alone they hid it under the noses of Europe's rulers for centuries. Eventually the knights became the Freemasons and their hidden treasure was brought overseas by pilgrims and ended up in the hands of America's Founding Fathers. Once in their possession, the Founding Fathers decided the same thing that the Knights did some 450 years earlier: the treasure was too great for one man alone or even one government. While the American Revolution was taking place, the Founding Fathers hid the treasure from the invading British while leaving clues to the treasures whereabouts on the dollar bill, the back of The Declaration of Independence, and by telling one of Ben Gates's ancestors that he could find keys to the treasures whereabouts on the ship that it was brought to America on.

In present day, Ben has found the ship named The Charlotte and a hint leading to a map that is supposedly on the back of The Declaration of Independence. However, to Ben's misfortune his colleague treasure hunter, Ian Howe (Sean Bean) betrays him once the clue is found. Suspecting Ian of plotting to steal The Declaration, Ben decides to do it first in order to secure the treasure. Even if Ben accomplishes this task, he still has to deal with Ian, his men, and the FBI who are already suspicious of his motives. Ben is accompanied by Riley Poole (Justin Bartha) and Abigail Chase (Diane Kruger) on the hunt for the treasure. Abigail is at first reluctant because of her responsibility for The Declaration's security. She and Ben's father, Patrick Gates (Jon Voight), soon realize the necessity of the mission.

"National Treasure" has a handful of uninspired action scenes and few great actors like Jon Voight and Harvey Keitel in the supporting roles. Voight and Keitel do the best any actor can possibly do with such formulaic and bland material. Diane Kruger (Troy) gives a mediocre performance. Sean Bean does his very best as the tempted villain, a role he truly has talent for and should perform more often (though not so much as to typecast himself). Nicolas Cage gives an unmemorable performance and seems out of place in this cheap, fast paced action-thriller. At his age he should retire to dramas and psychological thrillers, which despite being very demanding on an actor would suit him better. However, the main hindrance to everyone's performance was shabby dialogue and a summer flick plot.

Director John Turteltaub ("Phenomenon", "The Kid") encounters some basic problems with "National Treasure" that many movies of its genre do these days. The one-liners (important ingredients in an action movie) were sparse and dull. The comic relief is just too dependent on the annoying sidekick Riley. Another troubling aspect of the film is the far-fetched plot that is all too common in Jerry Bruckheimer productions ("Armageddon", "The Rock"). Even worse was that two-dimensional feel surrounding these cardboard characters.

This film has a plot that is hard to follow but if you watch closely you'll realize the confusion is not from an intelligent script beyond our grasp, but instead the filmmakers' fast paced editing.

Seems to be living in the hype of "The Da Vinci Code".

Disappointment

Author: krank23 from Sweden
17 January 2005

I guess I shouldn't be surprised - This is a Hollywood production, after all. The incredibly bad dialog, the childish "codes" (which weren't codes, they were ciphers), the scrambled facts... Well, I guess I am just not a part of the target audience.

This is "The DaVinci Code", with a REALLY bad script and a disregard for history and fact which actually surpasses said book.

The movie was, all in all, not even a decent adventure movie. The symbology was scrambled, the facts were scrambled - the only reason to give it anything but the weakest grade is that it's vaguely amusing to hear the nonsense and be able to comment on it... Even Nicholas Cage wasn't able to save this one.

Good riddance. Go read the DaVinci Code, or even better, something with actual facts in it - and perhaps a plausible story.

Oceans12 meets 'modern' Indiana Jones.. - no Indiana though.

Author: xzacq from Denmark
16 January 2005

.. Well, no Jones either. This movie has it all: Good guy, bad guy, intrigue, drama and love. Still it lacks the ability to mix it all up and make a tasty cocktail. It's more like a glass of warm beer. Anyway the plot is rather plain and straightforward, no surprises. It's one of those movies that makes you wonder, where did they get all those _flaming_ torches? - and whats up with all the lucky(and evidently accurate) guesses..? It has the ability to be OK(yep, merely OK), but fails miserably. When I tell people about it, they think it sounds a little cool, when in fact it actually kinda stinks. Go watch 'The Shawshank Redemption' instead - now thats a movie.

Disney version of Da Vinci Code

Author: misko14 from Sweden
15 January 2005

I must say that I'm quite surprised by the high rating of National Treasure here on IMDb. This movie does not deserve it.

I went to see this movie with an expectation of a mix of Indiana Jones and Da Vinci Code. What I've got was a Disney-kid-version of Dan Brown's book.

The movie was ruined for me after appr 5 or 6 minutes when the main character (played by Nicholas Cage) and his friends discover a ship wreck beneath the ice with help of a metal detector. Somehow the first part of the ship that they manage to dig up is the metal plate that shows the name of vessel. Easy for the younger kids to follow the plot? Yes. Realistic for the audience over 15 years? No.

Additionally Nicholas Cage does a terrible performance and acts totally uninspired in this movie. Another irritating thing is the character of Justin Bartha delivering tiresome one-liners throughout the whole goddamn movie.

This might be an OK family movie especially since parts of it are a basic lesson in the American history.

I find it however difficult to recommend National Treasure to anyone older than 15.

Could you get some wine with this cheese??

Author: tyler azevedo from norman, oklahoma
14 January 2005

CHEESIEST MOVIE OF ALL TIME, good idea for a movie, YET THE CHEESIEST MOVIE OF ALL TIME. I hate Nick Cage personally, and this movie did nothing to persuade me to think otherwise. "Actor" reading lines with no feeling plus no real plot (yeah there's a freakin treasure, lets find it) plus Nick Cage = A Hunk of Cheese.

Seriously, if you like this movie then there is a 95% chance that you are a 45-60 year old woman. My mother loved this film, and everything that is the Nick Cage.... If you want to see a good movie, don't go see this. If you are bored and someone points a gun to your head and says "watch this movie or I shoot," then you might want to watch it. Otherwise, save your money.

No buried treasure here.

Author: Victor Field from London, England
8 January 2005

If ever a movie from Walt Disney Pictures looked as if it should have come from Touchstone but turned out to be a Disney movie in the worst sense, "National Treasure" is that movie. Yes, it has the Jerry Bruckheimer stamp; yes, there are few if any children in it; yes, it has Harvey Keitel; and yes, it has some inviting shots of Diane Kruger's cleavage; but this is ultimately a pretty soft and toothless adventure tale, dressed up with major names and slick production values.

The first movie from Nicolas Cage's production company Saturn Films to star the man since "The Family Man" (he wasn't in "The Life Of David Gale"), the movie suffers from

a) Cage not seeming to take this seriously for a moment,

b) Diane Kruger confirming that her chronic blandness in "Troy" was no fluke,

c) Jon Turteltaub being just as good with action here as he was with "3 Ninjas" (i.e. not very) and additionally forgetting that he's dealing with adults this time around,

d) an unforgivably sluggish pace for what's supposed to be an exciting race around the Northeast US to find the treasure of the Knights Templar,

e) a script by Jim Kouf (woo-hoo!) and the team of Marianne Wibberley and Cormac Wibberley (d'oh!) that lets the absurdities pile up unceasingly, a drawback made even more glaring by d),

f) a lot of absolutely dreadful dialogue (alternately ridiculously expository and trying to be witty and failing),

and g) a generally neutered feel to the whole enterprise; it sometimes plays like a history lesson in lieu of a proper movie. The Indiana Jones movies are still the template for this kind of thing... and we don't even get to see Nicolas Cage freak out.

Jon Voight really, really needs to change his agent.

Deep awe and reverence ... not.

Author: John Kingston from Derbyshire
7 January 2005

Good to see Diane Kruger again, but apart from that, this was a mixture of formulaic stuff with credibility-stretching escapades and, of course, deep reverence paid to an American national icon that we British would quite happily see lost! (OK, slight overstatement there, but come on ... when are film-makers going to realise that we in Europe care about "ancient" American 'national treasures' about as much as Americans care about Belgium's national architectural style?) It could have been worse -- it could have been about basketball or baseball -- but I can't see this scoring with non-US voters anywhere near as well as it did with US voters. The only award it may deserve is for the sets, some of which must have cost a ton of money.

everything but nothing

Author: lagerweij from Netherlands
2 January 2005

Normally a movie from blockbuster giant Jerry Bruckheimer is fun to watch, great excitement and spectacular. Unfortunaly this one is not. It's just too much in too little time. If it had been a 13 episodes t.v. series it could have been good. But now it looks if the director put Indiana Jones 1, 2 and 3 altogether in just two hours. And thats the problem, its all going too fast and too easy. The 'hidden' clues are just simple to discover. Finding things that are missing for hundreds of years, is no problem at all. Even stealing the declaration of independence looks too simple. In mission impossible 1 the burglary was excitement, and Tom Cruise had a hard time in a well secured room. But in N.T. Gage just walks in. Because of the speed of the clues being discovered there is just not enough time for the movie to get a real thrill of excitement. You just know it will turned out good, and the clue will be solved. There are also a lot of question marks left. The good guys using all the clues trying to get the national treasure, and the bad guys don't have those clues, but as a wonder the are keeping up and appear at the same places as the good guys. And because of the speed and time of the movie, its just at the edge of how many clues you can handle. At the and you thinking one more clue and i've had it. Only the kids who have never seen anything of Indiana Jones, will be really excited and thrilled. The rest will think that Nicolas Gage is just working on a playground....

To much Mr Nice guy

Author: stephenpotter15 from United Kingdom
2 January 2005

I was disappointed in the film I'm afraid, although I'm a big fan of Nick Cage, and like most of the stuff he does. I kept thinking of Indiana Jones and Lara Croft as I watched it, and it didn't come close in comparison unfortunately, it was more sunken treasure than National Treasure for me. It is hard to think of a big scene in the whole movie, and even the end was a bit of an anti climax for me. I thought Sean Bean's bad guy was too amicable by far and didn't seem dangerous enough ,in fact it must have been very difficult for him to be evil, with Cage constantly referring to him as Ian.When you are walking out of the theatre you are thinking ,the charges they were levelling against the bad guy would probably see him put away for five years ,and only if he had any previous convictions at that.

THIS MOVIE IS A TREASURE!!!!!

Author: Alyssa (Allayyy) from Texas
13 December 2004

This is one of those films that I will think is bad, but when I see it, I come out of the movie theater liking it. I still don't see why critics pounded on this movie. Most of the excuses where because of the DeVinci Code. can see why the movie would relate to it but it has differences. DON'T LISTEN TO THESE DUMB CRITICS!

I loved the acting in the film. Nicholas Cage and Diane Kruger did a fantastic job and I HAVE to give the best of all acting to Justin Bartha. He made the movie fun and added some laughs. Sean Bean makes a GREAT bad guy too!

I am a total History nut so I enjoyed watching a American History related movie. At the end, the whole film came together!

I could go on for hours about this movie (I am planning to see it my 2nd time). It is a great flick and even when other people on here have thought it was a kiddie flick, I think only because of Riley (Justin Bartha) because when things got serious, he says one line and poof! It becomes funny. I think the film is for maybe 10+. My 8 year old sister saw it and didn't understand the story. I thought it was a little too over a younger child's head. There were some bomb explosions and enough gun shooting and a car chase. Some of the scenes may frighten some little kids.

See this movie instead of the other films like The Polar Express and Christmas with the Kranks. And DON'T LISTEN TO THOSE DUMB HARSH REVIEWS PEOPLE ARE SAYING!!!!!! Listen only to the good ones! Trust me, this one is WORTH the spending!

10 out of 10

National Treasure-EASILY ONE OF THE BEST MOVIES I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!!!!!!!!!

Author: deepaktituschazhoor from India
10 February 2008

I was left dumbstruck at the whole plot of the movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!it is one of the best thrillers i have ever seen!!!!!!!!!!!!NICOLAS CAGE just rocked by his unique style of acting!!!!!!!!!!!!so to those guys who have not seen the movie yet,i boldly recommend this movie.........you won't get disappointed.........i promise..........there won't be any single moment of boredom......you will find yourselves on the edge of your seat............the movie really rocked....direction was just brilliant.........the way one incident merges into another is just great..........so,those dudes who did not get the opportunity to watch the movie till now,don't waste time..go and watch it.......

Just Great!

Author: Axel Rezinovsky from Argentina
30 January 2007

This movie shocked me! The music, to begin, is fantastic! Nice job!

This movie has great performances, nice tricks and turns, a complex script and idea, ...

and though some things are too "known" (like "the hero", "the intelligent but dummy guy", "the pretty girl that fell for the cool hero", "the villain", ...) it's a perfect film to see once (or as me) any times you like (it doesn't create the same effect, but... i think the ending and all the other stuff that kept me so tense the first time, are so well done that this movie is still fun even the 20th time you watch it!!)

If you like adventure, clever, fiction and fun movies, this is for you.

9/10 ;) PS: can't wait for the sequel!!!! :D

Amazing

Author: tenacious_david from United Kingdom
24 January 2007

I am a big big fan of Nicolas Cage i think he is an excellent actor and this film has proved this.

The film star's some very good talents such as Nicolas Cage, Sean Bean, Jon Voight and Harvey Keitel. The film plots around the the Gates Family who have been searching for a unimaginably treasure of the Kinights Templer for years and years. Until there is only two Gates family members left Ben Gates (Nicolas Cage) and his father Patrick Gates (Jon Voight)who believes that the treasure is load of nonsense, but Ben Gates still is determined to uncover the treasure that has been owed to there family for years. So years on Ben Gates is still looking for the treasure and to do so he must decode the clues that were left by the Four Founding Fathers of America, these clues lead you right to the treasure itself. And so the film opens with Ben Gates and his wright hand man Ian Howe (Sean Bean) and his trusty side kick and computer nurd friend Riley Poole (Justin Bartha)searching in the Antartica for the first clue that was left to the Gates family. And after discovering the clue and decoding it which is and 18th century boat he believes read that there is a invisible map on the back of the Declaration of Independence, this which i will not spoil anymore leads to Ian Howe betraying Ben and Riley and sets of to get the Declaration of Independence himself and in-turn getting the treasure, so this Ben Gates, Riley Poole and also a historian called Abiail Chase (Diane Kruger) to set off uncovering the rest of the clues in America to uncover the most important treasure in the history of mankind. In the film also FBI agent Sadusky (Harvey Keitel) intrudes in the chase.

This film is a modern Indiana Jones and is a must buy DVD

Awesome Movie

Author: blaster-14 from United States
23 January 2007

Excellent! I highly recommend this movie for nearly all ages. An incredible storyline that will keep you on the edge of your seat. A stunning score and fantastic acting. Not to mention the fact that this movie is very clean. It also will give you a good history lesson, and I found it fascinating. Colorful characters and settings, leading up to a climatic ending. Produced by Jerry Bruckheimer (Pirates of the Caribbean) and with actors including as Nicholas Cage (Gone in 60 Seconds) (If you enjoy action/adventures and movies that have exceptional scripts, this is the movie for you. Oh yes, did I mention there is a sequel set for December 2007?

Entertaining Fun

Author: nova1942 from United States
18 December 2006

Entertaining Fun with capital letters!! The action is exciting and the dialog is terrific, especially the delivery! All the actors are good and fun to watch and look forward to every time I turn it on! I can't wait to buy it!!! Even Jon Voight with his smaller part is worth watching, I love his lines and how he says them!!! And of course N. Cage is entertaining as usual. And I got such a kick out of his partner that played Mr. Poole...(sorry forgot his name). Also, always enjoyable is N. Cage adversary. This fella from Ireland always plays a good part, whether it is as a mercenary, killer, or pilot! Please forgive me for not remembering his name. I came here unprepared!!

My View on National Treasure

Author: (docjt1953@yahoo.com) from United States
5 December 2006

I have this movie on DVD. I did not see it on the big screen. I wished I did because since owning the DVD, I have seen the movie over and over and over again. I will keep on seeing it over and over again. Thank You for telling me about the new National Treasure Movie thats in production. This time I will see it on the big screen over and over again. All the actors work together. The editing is great. The special effects were outstanding. The sets were excellent. The color and camera shots were perfect!

Sincerely

Jim

A National Treasure indeed, in anyone's video library

Author: Menieux from Brno, Czech Republic
30 September 2006

This is an excellent movie. I'm a big fan of mystery movies and this one has had me waiting for what would happen in the next moment till the very end. The plot is, of course, most unrealistic, but IF one imagines that there could actually BE such a treasure, an undiscovered one, then it all becomes perfectly logical, and we can enjoy the romantic story within a hunt to protect a national treasure, a treasure beyond any man's dreams, from being stolen by a gang of ruthless prospectors. The cast is very good, Nicolas Cage is one of my favourite actors, but what I think I love the most about the movie, is the main theme. The music is absolutely perfect and I fell in love with it the first time I heard it. So if you are fond of "treasure movies" and are prepared to free your mind of any doubts as for whether it would be possible that anything like this has been escaping detection for so long, this is the movie for you.

This Movie is the BOMB right ?

Author: Emily from United States
6 June 2006

Hey who thought that this movie really ROCKED ? I think so because now it is my favorite movie EVER but please don't judge me or say i have bad taste in good movies that are my opinion but really who thought that this movie really is the BOMB ??? I really think that this movie is really good and i heard that they are making a 2nd one hey. But I think that the First one will still be the best ever anyway. But could you tell me what you thought of the movie. Please. !!!! What really was your favorite part to and who did you think was HOT HOT HOTTIE ha ha. But ya please leave a comment if your enjoyed the movie. I also won't to really meet the whole cast some time.

Well Thought Out

Author: HellsFoxx47 from United States
10 April 2006

The trailer didn't appeal to me but I am a big fan of Cage's and whether I dislike the movie or not I purchase it, so when National Treasure went on sale, I was there to pick it up. A general opinion, considering the mixed reviews this movie is receiving - on sale or not - it is worth it but if you're not semi-appreciative of history and logic, don't bother. If that were the case, yes, some scenes would definitely seem like they drag along and the overall impression would simply be misleading. In my personal opinion, I loved the movie with all its logic and unique methods of presentation. It answered all the questions that arose except it made me wonder why there still is a gap in the prehistoric ages. (Joke – your cue to laugh!)

Is it true?

Author: bcolquho from Saco, Maine
14 March 2006

There's a story, whether it's true or not, is open to interpretation. The story begins in 1820 when Samuel Chase, the last surviving signer of the Declaration of Independence, tried to see Andrew Jackson, the President of the United States at the time. That's the story----part of it anyway. There are people today who are hunting a treasure in the Virginia countryside. The person who transcribed the codes, had gone out west in 1820, and supposedly had stolen gold from Mexico and buried it in the Virginia countryside and left clues as to its whereabouts. The original transcriptionist died and left the code with a friend who did nothing with it from 1820 to 1885. However, there's been doubt cast on it. Then there's the legend of the Templar Treasure. According to this, the Knights Templar, was the richest order in Europe. The Templars, officially the Poor Knights of the Temple of Solomon, were Europe's bankers. The Pope, who'd created the Knights Templar, was in debt to the Templars. So was Philip IV of France. According to the Legend of the Templars, the Templars had a fleet of ships that brought their treasure to the New World. The plot of National Treasure, like that of the soon-to-be released The Da Vinci Code, is riddled with symbolism. The Knights Templar are mentioned. According to National Treasure, the Knights Templar become the Freemasons. The Gates family is named after the Founding Fathers: John Adams, Benjamin Franklin, and Patrick Henry. Abigail Chase is named after Abigail Adams and Samuel Chase, and the villain, Ian Howe, is named after Sir William Howe, a British general during the Revolutionary War, and his brother, Sir Richard "Black Dick" Howe, an admiral in the Royal Navy. Is it true? Again, that's open to debate. The documents on which the story is based, are, as I said before, questionable at best.

A watered down soft drink

Author: moviewatcher417 from United States
10 November 2005

For a movie that's supposedly based on finding long lost treasure, this one got awfully boring really fast. What happened? By the way, what happened to Nicolas Cage? The man could act once and he was capable of creating exciting characters. But not lately, and certainly not in this film. In this film, his performance is mediocre at best. As his love interest, Diane Kruger gets to look good and has a few good lines, but that's it. His sidekick is really annoying. All this I could forgive, if there was a plot or any excitement in this film. But the number of exciting moments in this film were too far apart. The villain is not very threatening and gets duped way too easily. I thought this guy was supposed to be smart. Of course, I also thought this movie would be more exciting than it was. With the exception of a few chases, there really isn't much to this film. Bottom line: It's a watered down version of an Indiana Jones flick.

Cinematic equivalent of fool's gold

Author: george.schmidt (gpschmidt67@gmail.com) from fairview, nj
23 November 2004

NATIONAL TREASURE (2004) ** Nicolas Cage, Diane Kruger, Justin Bartha, Sean Bean, Jon Voight, Harvey Keitel, Christopher Plummer. Overripe Bruckheimer melodramatic adventure popcorn flick with Cage (getting a tad long-in-the-tooth as a genre hero) as a globe-hopping cartographer of sorts who has in vein been attempting to locate the titular Maguffin that may have a link to a mysterious map on the Declaration of Independence that he is determined to liberate before one of his former colleagues, Bean, can get his duplicitous hands upon it for self-gaining wealth. A few good moments of hard-to-swallow, eye-rolling plot-holes aside the film is a creaker in its attempt to recapture the glories of the Indiana Jones films (its lacking the one true ingredient: heart) that leaves one wondering: Just what is really at stake here – besides two hours I'll never get back? (Dir: Jon Turteltaub)

Culture Wars

Author: tedg (tedg@filmsfolded.com) from Virginia Beach
4 December 2004

Spoilers herein.

Sad to say, finally Bruckheimer had the makings of a pretty good movie and blew it by engaging a non-director director. These things can be successful on their own terms - even with most of the flaws this one has - if only a few necessities are satisfied. The thing has to have coherence - not story coherence, but a consistent being. The art direction, writing, acting, editing, framing of shots and such all have to come from the same spot on whatever spectra are acknowledged. Usually that means a position on the "are we taking this seriously or not" spectrum, plus a few others.

The key one has to do with the pulse of the thing. Every film has a rhythm, every living film at least. But all the components of the thing have to key into that pulse. It cannot be decided toward the end in editing. Here, every component goes its own way, even the score which seems to have been borrowed from other projects.

I'm convinced that a decent director could have made something worth watching out of this. Of course a decent director would have changed a few procedural things that weren't working. But the important thing is he would have made the thing have a coherent pulse.

Its too bad, because the mythology behind this has gas, more even as a first instance of a genre than original mummy and Frankenstein movies and as much as the western. There's a huge literature relating to mystical traditions of the US Founding Fathers, much more than the ready fiction that they founded the country on 'Christian' principles. It is all bogus, of course but has a the patina of reality that films like to puff up.

Could have made a strong film out of this. You can see that the producers at least had a glint of this culture wars play in mind, because Diane Kruger is made to present that sort of vacant cowgirl persona invented by country music.

And that business about 'giving' to the world (without mentioning that it was taken from the world).

Very good movie for Nicholas Cage.

Author: adelgrus from Sweden
27 March 2008

Some may think Nicholas Cage is an untalented actor. And i must say if you think he's a bad actor after seeing this movie you don't know talented acting when you see it. I Didn't understand the plot, but this movie was one of the greatest movies ever made nevertheless. Why did he have too steal the paper, i may never know. I must say this is Nicholas best film since Ghostrider. Even though this movie is clearly a ripoff of the Da Vinci code it was still mildly entertaining. I think its a big plus that there were no women in the big roles for this movie, as women has no place in movies. And i didn't like that Nicholas Cages character died in the end. I think they could have given Tom Cruise a bigger role in the movie then he had. The glasses he had to wear too read the paper made no sense. And for the record light years measures time and not speed. But the movie was very good for its target audience (black people).

Not original, but decent way to spent a couple of hours

Author: tomimt from Finland
18 February 2008

National Treasure tries its best in two different fields: firstly it tries to be modern Indiana Jones type of an action/adventure film and secondly it tries to cash in with the conspiracy theories about free masons once again popularized by Da Vinci Code. On those both fields the film succeeds better than most combatants.

Ben Gates (Nicholas Cage) is a treasure hunter after, just like his father and grand father and so on, the biggest treasure of all time: the famed booty of the templars. Ian Howe (Sean Bean) is after the same thing, but he's more savage about his mission, so he's the bad treasure hunter. After Ben and Ian learn, that the map to the treasure is behind one certain piece of paper, that lies heavily guarded in one heavily guarded museum, starts the race of a man, who want's to keep that paper in tact and one who's willing to destroy the paper to get the map.

Even tough the movie isn't spoiled with too much originality, a lot is saved by good direction and a great cast, including Harvey Keitel and Jon Voight just to name few. Cage is his usual self, a bit wooden, but out of the treasure hunters Bean, just like he often does, steal all the screen time they share together.

So if you are willing to forgive some astonishing leaps of logic and relatively cheesy plot, I see no reason why this wouldn't pass for a decent way top spend a couple of hours. I certainly was a bit surprised of how well this worked in the end.

Could someone please tell me what these magic numbers mean?

Author: Anappy from United States
31 January 2007

I can honestly say i don't know how you don't love this movie. it was really good in almost everything. The plot line was very entertaining and i loved everything about it. the actors were really amazing and very believable. the speed of the movie was fast-paced and i thought the action was amazing. Nicholas Cage did an amazing job, along with Diane Kruger and Justin Bartha. the plot was fairly serious but Justin Bartha's character added some much-needed humor to the mix. i totally loved the whole concept of the movie...even if it was very far-fetched. what movie isn't far-fetched? anyway, this was a good movie to watch with the whole family. there was no profanity or bad implications. from the very beginning to the end the movie was had you hooked and on the edge of your seat.

9 out of 10 stars most definitely.

A rollicking good adventure movie with fun history

Author: ozthegreatat42330 from Central City, Kentucky
22 January 2007

I had to watch this film at least three times to keep up with all of the little nuances that make it an excellent film. John Turtletaub has created an authentic historical treasure hunt with just the perfect cast. I am not a Nicholas Cage fan as a rule, but he great as the some-times reluctant but always dependable leader of this quest. The rest of the cast was also excellent, although I would like to have seen a bit more of Christopher Plummer in the film. And the settings were outstanding as we were given a walking tour(okay sometimes a running tour) through some of the most exciting times in American History. And being the Disney product it is makes it a mostly good family film, although some scenes might be too intense for small children. Get out the popcorn and "gummi bears" and get set for a wild ride.

very enjoyable,thrilling, action flick

Author: disdressed12 from Canada
15 January 2007

National Treaure is the story of Bejamin Gates(Nicholas Cage) who has been obsessed with finding the mythical(but perhaps real) treasure of the Knights Templar,the greatest fortune mankind has ever known,since he was a child.Along the way,Gates makes an enemy(Sean bean)who also wants the treasure for himself(for purely selfish reasons).in a twist,it turns out that Gates must steal The Declaration Of Independence,(which contains a key clue to the Mystery)so it does not fall into enemy hands.along for the ride are Diane Kruger,Harvey Keitel,and John Voight.Christopher plummer also appears in the movie.what follows is one intense chase scene after chase in a race against time.National Treasure is basically one long chase movie,but well done.the acting is good,and the characters are convincing.the movie is very enjoyable--even thrilling, as long as you know what you are expecting.very few dramatic scenes,little character development(except for the character of Benjamin)and much of the movie is implausible,even unrealistic, but so what.sometimes you just have to turn your brain off and enjoy. 8/10

Da Vinci in da U.S.A

Author: gus120970 from London, UK
28 November 2006

National Treasure is so obviously inspired by the puzzle caper thriller phenomenon that was The Da Vinci Code, but without the main problems that would (and did) affect its reception in the Mid West: setting most of the story in cheese-eating surrender monkey land (France) and aggravating the god-botherers with various heresies about the Christian Church. But you know what, it's a much better movie because it knows its purpose is to entertain, not necessarily to reveal the supposed greatest cover up in human history. Nicholas Cage once again plays his reluctant, slightly unattractive but surprisingly adept action hero as he aims to convince the authorities that someone will be able to steal the 1776 American Declaration of Independence by, well, stealing the Declaration of Independence.

It's after this heist that the pace takes off. Cage has to stay one step ahead of the British, neatly echoing the root of the story, deliciously played as a bunch of working class English thugs led by Sean Bean, and also the law.

The chase leads the characters through a Da Vinci esquire series of codes, cyphers, secret passages and famous (to Americans at least) locations, with a smattering of real and imagined history. Curious to see the freemasons for once depicted as chivalrous heroes rather than a shifty bunch of overweight glad-handing businessmen.

Of course the delicious irony in this is that the treasure is not hidden on the back of the Declaration, it IS the declaration - the jewel of the 18th century Enlightenment, the spark that ignited the lamps of rationality, democracy, the division of powers and a secular state. The Declaration is America's great gift to humanity, and the story that the country 'without history' could also be hoarding a great stash of antiquity too is a delightful and enjoyable fantasy.

A treasure itself

Author: RNMorton from West Chester, Pa
22 November 2006

Every decade or so they get one of these hunt & chase movies right. Cage, Kruger and Bartha track down stupendous treasure based on clues laid out by founding fathers. Keitel threatens to arrest Cage while Bean and his cronies are on Nick's trail with more evil intentions. Most of the clues are contained in or on national landmarks which means some good action scenes in the vicinity of famous places. I'm not saying this is foolproof stuff but it's plausible enough that if I want to pretend it's real I can live with myself. And if you like American history it's a blast. I've never been much of a Cage guy but his style finds a very comfortable home in this one. The interaction between our heroes is fun to watch, including Voight as Cage's skeptical old man, and Bean does well on the dark side. A more cerebral, US-based Raiders of the Lost Ark, certainly no less believable. Highly recommended.

A film with ADD

Author: alainvirgin from Toronto, Ontario
3 February 2005

I saw this the other day, and enjoyed the mystery and action sequences, as they were fun and imaginative. Howevery I have to say that despite having so many heavy hitting actors in this film the portrayals are all sub-par, and each of the characters seem to have the maturity level of teenagers. I have no problem with an action film, but look at the "chemistry scenes" between Cage and Kruger, she shouts once at him, and suddenly that's a defining character trait, she calls him dumb, and he says she's swearing at him? I don't know what hit the cutting room floor, but it must be a whole lot more character development otherwise the characters are almost all written as juvenile, judgmental, and rash.