IMDb > Faster (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Faster

Faster More at IMDbPro »

The "On Any Sunday" of our generation...

Author: gmazza from Toronto, Canada
15 December 2004

An absolutely stunning piece of film. Manages to capture the feeling of riding a bike right at the edge of it's performance envelope, and shows us the mind-bending consequences of breaking through that envelope. If you don't understand why some of us choose to go as fast as humanly (or inhumanly) possible on two wheels, then this movie might provide some insight. For those who are already familiar with the sport, the interviews with riders both past and present are worth the price of admission alone. Hearing Kevin Schwantz describe how it felt just as good to beat Wayne Rainey to 5th place as it did to win provides some insight into the competitive nature required to push those "evil" bikes to the limit. If you have even a passing interest in motorcycles or motor sport, please go watch this movie. Even if only to see how bike racers make four-wheel racers look like a bunch of nancy-boys.

Slightly flawed documentary is entertaining and educational

Author: FZ1Bob
9 July 2004

The fact that there are so few good motorcycle movies makes "FASTER" difficult to rate. If you compare this movie to dreck like "Torque" or "Biker Boyz", it's an absolute 10. If you compare it to the obvious choice "On Any Sunday", the movie is good but it leaves you feeling like it could have been a little bit better.

It's more or less a documentary of the top motorcycle road racing series in the world, MotoGP. The movie focuses primarily on four different riders over the course of the 2001 and 2002 seasons. The narration by Ewan McGregor is excellent, and the racing footage (a mix of shots filmed for the movie and archival race coverage) is fabulous. The interviews with former world champions are entertaining and educational.

However, the way the movie tends to jump around a bit might confuse people who aren't already fans of the sport, a problem that detracts from the excellence of the movie. Basically, you should watch it, but if you're not already a MotoGP fan maybe you should watch it with one so they can explain.

Thrilling, informative documentary on motorcycle road racing

Author: jmartinsson from Los Angeles, California
21 January 2005

This excellent documentary film captures the excitement of the races and the lives of a few of the racers from the point of view of the racers themselves and their teams. The film begins with a focus on the rivalry between Valentino Rossi and Max Biaggi (the film definitely takes Rossi's side). A select few other riders are showcased, and then the film focuses on the transition from two-stroke bikes to four-stroke, and Moto GP. The film seems to be pretty comprehensive, covering some history of the sport and also taking a very personal approach in telling the stories of some of the riders, like John Hopkins. The film has awesome footage, which is helpful to those interested in actually racing and those who just want to see some thrilling racing footage. Recommended to those with an interest in the racing scene, sport bike enthusiasts, or those seeking adrenaline-pumping motorcycle footage. The interactive racing features on the second disc of the DVD set has great on board camera footage and an update for the 2004 season.

More a documentary than a movie, superb for motorcyclists.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
26 December 2004

I have been a motorcyclist most of my life, and have ridden coast to coast, and everywhere in between, during the past 10 years. Back in the late 1990s our local cable carried AMA Supersport 600 and Superbike racing, and occasionally Grand Prix motorcycle racing. I got to know many of those motorcycle warriors through that venue -- Miguel DuHamel, Doug Chandler, Mick Doohan, and the youngsters like the Hayden brothers. The racing was always exciting, and I did my own much lower speed simulations on my VFR750, or my wife's CBR600, but have come to realize that racing is NOT for the streets, a message played clearly in this movie "Faster."

"Faster" focuses exclusively on World Grand Prix racing, the now-defunct 500cc strokers, and the newer 4-stroke liter bikes. Primarily seasons 2000 through 2004, and featuring the newest wave of great riders, like Valentino Rossi, the best of the bunch, and his chasers like Biaggi, Macoy, and others, including homeboy Colin Edwards from up the road in Conroe. This film is not just about the races themselves, but also goes often behind the scenes to show us what goes into development of these race bikes, to make them go faster and faster each year. Narrated comfortable by Ewan McGregor, a very nice DVD for motorcycle racing fans.

Great Intro to the World Of MotoGP with fantastic footage

Author: jpalamaro from United States
27 May 2009

Having been a motorcyclist for a number of years I've avoided the world of MotoGP. Likely more because I didn't know anything about it and spurned it for the same reasons I don't watch NASCAR or Formula 1 racing. Let's face it, until Tom Cruise used Nicole Kidman's leg to explain drafting, well, 'Days of Thunder' did teach me about drafting.

There are lots of subtle and unknown things happening in MotoGP. Riding a motorcycle and understanding motorcycle racing is about as distant as eating and being a fine chef. So, here's a great way to learn about this fascinating sport, its superstars, and perhaps why they do it. Besides, its great fun to watch, lots of ooohs and ahhhhs!

Get behind the scenes as no one has ever done

Author: junk-1000 from United States
30 May 2006

The people doing this movie have unbelievable access to the MotoGP world through the current biggest stars, racers, family members and the best racers of yesterday.

If you get goosebumps when you ride or by watching madmen push two wheeled vehicles further than the laws of physics should allow the you MUST watch this movie. It is the closest you can possibly get to being on the bike yourself.

There is nothing else like it, if you have that burning inside you to go fast, if you have it you know what I mean, then you owe it to yourself to see this movie.

Don't miss this.

Author: lew214
11 August 2006

For any motorcycle racing addict the 103 minutes for which this runs is just way too short.It does have a bit of the "all hail Rossi" about it but why not? After all he's probably the greatest racer that's been around for at least the last 50 years and that includes Agostini,Sheene,Doohan etc etc.Biaggi has simply never been in the same class.Even if Max was as good as he thinks he is he still couldn't beat Rossi on equal equipment.The only rider I've seen who Rossi might have had a problem with was Joey Dunlop and he definitely would have had a major problem beating Joey if they could have raced against each other at the Isle of Man.

Really brings the sport to life!

Author: benchracer from California
31 March 2006

I've been a motorcycle grand prix fan since 1990. I have a couple of good motorcycle riding buddies who are into racing, but who were never very taken by the gp series (now called Motogp). After watching Faster, my one friend finally got it and is now a big fan. But I think this movie even appeals to non-motorcycle fans. Getting insight into a world where excellence is the norm is just gratifying whatever the subject, and Faster gives just such insight into Motogp - the series and the players. Has some great scenes too: the two pit-crew members discussing the series and the drivers, the scene where the Japanese fan breaks into tears when he meets Garry McCoy in person - Really brings the series to life. Loved it!

Sport bike motorcycle racing at its finest!

Author: catiadan from San Diego
15 July 2004

If you have any interest in finding out what drives guys to push the envelope on a motorcycle this is the movie to watch. This documentary includes some great footage of pretty radical MotoGP riding with explanations from the riders themselves and the people who support them. You may actually learn why these "crazies" do what they do. If you are an aggressive sports motorcycle rider this is a must see; all others will enjoy it also for the intensity, action and skill performed by these folks. I especially enjoyed hearing from the doctors that treat the injuries of these racers and their comments on the psyche of these riders. Some of these guys don't even ride on the streets! But most if not all have come off these maniacal machines at well over 100 mph and walked away....MANY times! Even if you don't appreciate action motorcycle flicks, this movie will give you some pretty good insight into what this sport is all about. Definitely a 10 for biker folks, and maybe a 6 or 7 for those who are not.

Awesome footage and interesting insight into a season of Moto-GP

Author: chris.bell from Austin, Texas, USA
16 April 2004

I got to see a sneak peek of this film at a little motorcycle rally in Texas in Nov. 2003. The soundtrack, opening credits and racing action in the first half the film are excellent. As the interviews go on in the latter part of the film it drags a bit, but the insight into the strategies and politics of racing at this level still made it interesting. The action-packed editing of all this racing, sliding, flipping and crashing crammed into one film is unbeatable.

Because of the European flavor of Moto-GP, the choice of using Ewan McGregor (with his British accent) as narrator was appropriate. I hear he is an avid rider as well.

Definitely worth seeing on a big screen if it shows near you and renting once available. As soon as it goes on sale, I'm buying the DVD!