IMDb > Lucky Luke and the Daltons (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Les Dalton

Lucky Luke and the Daltons More at IMDbPro »Les Dalton (original title)

The lousiest comic adaption I've ever seen

Author: andihe from Germany
9 August 2005

This movie was so god-awful-l, i can not explain this with words. If you want to see a comedy without any laugher, then this movie is the best choice you can take. Listening to the actors could drive you crazy, so be careful. The dialogs are cra-p and also the whole story. I can not believe who is able to drag the good old lucky Luke / Dalton comics so through the mud. Up to this I liked french movies, but this was the worst movie I have ever seen. They should pay you for watching this ...

Sure the movie has its good side, it lasts only for 86 minutes. The people in the cinema cheered when it was over, but not because they liked the movie, just because it was over...

Is possible to do such a bad job?

Author: daniel Carbajo López from Barcelona, Spain
22 January 2006

Well i've been terribly disappointed with this movie. Theorically the movie is an adaptation of the known Morris' comic, but it is very different, neither of the characters is like the comic (except Rataplan, the dog), the story is totally annoying and the actors are pathetic, in addition, the directing is not better. In addition, in Spain the movie was translated by two known humorist (el Neng and Corbacho), that could not be bad, but they don't ever try to adapt themselves to the characters, they just make their usual part (like theirs on TV) but with the faces of Joe and Averell Dalton.

Surprisingly has two good things: it is very short (82 minutes) and the task of adapting the environment is quite decent (not very much, but it is the better of the film, by far), I am talking about the atrezzo, which is the best adapted of all the movie (which is not very difficult, if we think about the horrible work of characters and history). To sum up: If you could,you should avoid seeing this film.

my god - i thought such a terrible crap is not possible

Author: bud- from Germany
18 October 2005

this movie is terrible, do NOT watch this film, Til Schweiger is a pity, awful,playing for 5 minutes in the movie. This movie is stupid, stupid and stupid, more I can't say....no plot, no sense, never saw such a bad movie. There is no gag to laugh, no story, nothing is in this crappy piece of... And if you know the both comedians playing the long and short Dalton, they ma be good comedians, but not in this film.... PLZ miss this movie... more is not to say..;o) I don't know how to produce such a crap, it should be forbidden to show such movies in cinema to prevent the people in getting idiots.....we started with 90 people in the cinema, at the end of the movie there were 3 left, i think that says all....;o)

Why someone wanted to make something like this?

Author: Ognjen-Drenjanin-and-the-Movies from Serbia
6 December 2008

At start i want to say that i am very big fan of Lucky Luke and that he is my favorite animated and comics character. Why am i saying this? It is pretty simple. I am saying it so you can see that even hardcore fan could not love this movie.

This should be comedy. I mean Daltons vere always funny and there are a lot of jokes with them producers could use to make this movie good western comedy about most popular cawboy. From start everything is so stupid. Everyone is scared of Daltons and people which was filming this probably though that scary faces of others and some nonsense words from some of Daltons would make me laugh. Oh no! And why not? Because all stupid words a bit of Lucky Lukes scenes and all other characters with so stupid text are wrapped together in something awful called Daltons Movie.

Animated series about Luke are perfect, comics too but so far we haven't seen good movie so i hope that Lucky Luke (2009) will make me wrong. I really hope!

French/German/Spanish Western co-production filmed , of course , in Almeria, Spain

Author: ma-cortes
16 November 2012

Paté/Schnitzel/Paella Western parody co-produced by France-Germany-Spain , it is packed with ridiculous situations , noisy action , exaggerated roles and lots of silly humor . Based on characters from comic books by Morris and writing credits by Ramzy Bedia , Michel Hazanavicius , Eric Judor , being badly directed by Philippe Haïm (Barracuda, Secret Defense). This amusing as well as absurd picture contains an entertaining plot , action Western , shootouts and bits of campy and embarrassing humor . It deals with four Dalton brothers (Eric Judor as Joe , Ramzy Bedia as Averell , Saïd Serrari as Jack , Romain Berger as William) and all of them take on Lucky Luke (Til Schweiger). They are the worst outlaws in Wild West history, whose criminal flops are such that their own mother is turning against them. This is a surprisingly low-key Spaghetti Western in which four diverse characters joining forces to find a magic hat and rob a bank . But it's only once Ma Dalton (Marthe Villalonga) kicks her boys out of the home that they decide to make her proud by robbing a City Bank, where security is so tight that even the bank tellers are combat-trained. Having failed the robbery, the brothers are thrown in prison , where their dim-witted Mexican cell mate exposes information about a magic hat that renders its wearer invincible. They immediately resolve to get the sombrero , so the boys escape of prison and head straight for Mexico and attempt to rob a fortune from a Bank . The Dalton Brothers breaking all the rules and kicking virtually every cliché in the pants , as they relentlessly deceive, plunder and rob. They go to Mexico leaving a trail of chaos in their wake where face off a villain named El Tarlo (Javivi) who besieges a village similarly to ¨The magnificent seven¨ .

Western satire with a bemusing premise , there is plenty of action in the movie , guaranteeing shootouts, fights or stunts every few minutes . It's an improbable blending of standard Western, tongue-in-cheek , silly humor , Comic-book and realized in Spaghetti/Fagioli/Trinity(Terence Hill-Bud Spencer) style . But the main problem is that if you are foreigner you will have to know well the French society to understand the double-senses and jokes said by the four main actors playing Dalton Brothers . Amiable but sometimes lumbering Western satire goes on and on about the same premise , as a lot of minutes are superfluous ,it has half hour of excess , as it packs overblown jokes and antics and some moments turns out to be dull and tiring . The film mingles slapdash, silly scenes ,pursuits, and it's fast moving and embarrassing . The musician Alexandre Azaria , composes a jolly soundtrack with catching leitmotif and well conducted . Composer Alexandre Azaria was inspired by Alan Silvestri's scores for Back to the future III (1990) and Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988) to such an extend that in several scenes the music sounds almost exactly the same . Colorful cinematography by cameraman David Carretero filmed on location in Cologne, North Rhine - Westphalia, Germany and Tabernas, Almería, Andalucía, Spain . The picture is dedicated to Morris and Rene Goscinny . This is the worst version based on famous Lucky Luke comic books . Other adaptations are the following : Lucky Luke (2009) Played by Jean Dujardin / Mathias Sandor (as Young Luke) and television series starred by Terence Hill . And cartoon version as "Go West: A Lucky Luke Adventure" 2007 , "The New Adventures of Lucky Luke¨ ,¨La ballade Des Dalton (1978) , ¨Lucky Luke the intrepid¨ (1971).

This movie is as bad as the Daltons

Author: Maciek Kur from Poland
6 August 2011

For years I was a big fan of Rene Gościnny comic books. Asterix, Lucky Luke, Iznogoud, Pettit Nicholas (which is not a comic book but a book but it's still very good), Les Dingodossiers, Umpa-Pa and all the rest he created. Fantastic stuff. After the second Asterix movie turn out to be very good I had big hopes for this one. The trailer was promising enough with cast and the visuals appear strongly similar to the comics.

Sadly this movie turn out to be horrible! Story is bad and have little to do with the comics, or even being a western spoof to be honest. Script is just mess with plot points handle poorly, weak humor (some times makes no sense) and character are simply annoying especially the Daltons themselfes. The only positive thing I can say is that actros who played the four Dalton brothers did their best and you can tell they did put a lot of energy to their parts but it didn't helped much. It's just painful to see two talented actors stand there and throw horrible bad lines at each other while two just stend in background since as lest known actors they only got the left-over lines and are mute for most of the movie despite of being in 70% of the scenes.

In fact I find it odd how on one hand the movie tries to make the Dalton brothers look like lovable loosers who are just trying to make their mother proud but at the same time still treat them like the villains of the story. So what the point? It must be confusing for the kids since mainly them will watch this and sadly the jokes are way to vulgar for them. Lucky Luke who is the main hero of the books have little to no screen time until the last 1/4 when he appears and captures the Daltons... Hurray? I don't get why they waste CGI for the character of Rantanplan since all he do is a quick cameo and his lines aren't even funny. There is a quick moment when the movie looks like it will turn into a spoof of "the Magificent seven" with the Daltons and got a little interesting... but that last for about five minutes and just got more terrible after that.

By far the worst adaptation of a Goscinny comic book which lives nothing but bad taste.

Absolutely hilarious!

Author: spade-9 from Dreamland
26 January 2007

Great, great, great! I've seen this movie several times, and I know I'll watch it again. It's ridiculous and doesn't make any sense, and that's what makes it so wonderful. Some of the scenes were terrifically funny, and the dialogs were unbelievable. It reminded me of other French movies such as the Asterix series, or else the controversial "RRRrrrr!", which I also loved beyond belief.

Eric and Ramzy do an amazing job, as always. I also loved them in "Double Zero", which is also typical French humor, where (as opposed to American movies) the heroes aren't idealized.

If you don't appreciate French-style humor, don't watch this, because it's not full of sexy people. But if you're looking for a madly funny experience, this is the thing for you. I have no idea why it got such a low rating.

Also, if you're into movies like "Charlie's Angels" and can't appreciate a very, VERY good parody, don't watch this.

Not THAT bad

Author: alserrcarr from Spain
22 August 2007

I don't understand such harsh comments about this film. Of course, the plot is a bit dumb (quite dumb, actually), but there IS a plot, or at least we could tell much more films with less plot than this one. The visual effects were very nice and well made and some visual gags were OK. It's true that a lot of money was invested in this project and the outcome is not very bright, but I insist, not THAT bad.

I think that many people attack this film only because it's a French movie but there are plenty of American productions much worse than this. "Les Dalton" it's basic entertainment, maybe you won't laugh with it (surely), but keeps you entertained for an hour and a half.

A lot less stupid than I imagined, a good surprise

Author: UETF-agent from Martinique
29 February 2012

I went to watch this movie, thinking that I would probably be watching a turd, but I was pleasantly surprised.

This movie is surely not the new "citizen Kane" but it is definitely a very enjoyable movie to fill an evening. I watched it because I am already a big fan of Eric and Ramzy and I was not disappointed. They deliver their usual style of comedy, in the vein of their sitcom "H" but they also manage to stick very well to the Dalton characters popularized in the Lucky Luke comic books. Of course, who else than Ramzy could play Averell.... There are many cameos by well known french comics such as Kad Merad or Elie Semoun, great as usual playing several different roles in this movie. There is also dujardin in what is probably his worst part ever.

The movie itself is very entertaining and festive and even if you don't appreciate the actors, there is no reason not to enjoy the show. One particularly interesting point was the scenario, rather original and unpredictable. Bad and predictable scenarios are generally the common point to cheap movies and this one was really surprising. The character of Lucky Luke is probably the east interesting part of this movie, but this not a surprise in a movie about Les Daltons.

I found this movie much more interesting than the latest cinema version of LUCKY Luke (2009) with Dujardin and Michael Youn, which I was not capable of watching to the end because of the stupidity.

So yeah I recommend to watch this movie, especially if you like the aforementioned french actors, but be warned the humour will probably not translate very well in other languages.

Flawed but fun!

Author: vawlkee_2000 from United States
27 June 2008

A lot of people seem to like to trash this film, granted it ain't "Gone With the Wind", but it's not "The Terror of Tiny Town" either.

Judor and Bedia as Joe and Averell are okay - obviously they have their act down very well - so well in fact, that it can be very tedious at times, very.......Their constant mugging, while entertaining generally, gets in the way of the rest of the film's pacing at times.

I grew up from the late 60's on with Lucky Luke comics, so I'm more than familiar with they humor involved.

The film is reminiscent of "The Three Stooges" in it's scope, pity they weren't around to do it! Can you imagine Moe as Joe, Curly as Averell and Larry and Shemp as the other brothers. WOW!

When I show the DVD to friends I mention that if they like the Stooges, they'll like this film.

Complaints about the lack of Lucky Luke's air time is valid, but, of course, this is a film about the Daltons and Luke is just along to keep it interesting.

The fiesta at El Tarlo's is wonderfully done and reminiscent of "Three Amigos" but a lot more surreal in nature..

I recommend it as a nice diversion.