IMDb > Brides (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Brides More at IMDbPro »Nyfes (original title)

Page 2 of 2:[1] [2]

Made me think of my mom

Author: James Suntres from Greece
6 February 2008

Every time I watch Nyfes, I think of many of my older relatives, my mom included, who emigrated to Canada in the 1940s and 1950s under very similar circumstances. The scenes shot in Greece are especially breath-taking. Voulgaris made me think how ironic it was that people were forced to leave such a beautiful, but poverty-stricken country. Damian Lewis is excellent as the hopeless romantic while Victoria Haralabidou, as Niki Douka, manages to convey the fatalistic acceptance her character must have been feeling. These two performers develop one of the best examples of culture clash in a movie. Martin Scorcese is one of the producers of this movie, and I don't think he would ever let himself be associated with something which is not artistically sound. As for Voulgaris, he has done an excellent job.

love it, love it, love it!

Author: aquaeftihia from Australia
11 September 2005

When you are a Greek living in Australia, it is hard to come by (Greek) movies which have a great plot, great cast and are intoxicatingly entertaining. "Brides" is the best, and i really mean, best (Greek) movie i have seen in a while. There was the historically correct culture factor (of mail-to-order brides), fiery passion, romance, drama, and loss/disappointment. Overall, i thought the cast gave a superb performance (especially UK cutie Damian Lewis and Greek actress Victoria Charalabidou), there was great dialogue, a little laugh factor, a pinch of sorrow, and a bit of wow factor (with the romance, and the overwhelming hopefulness of the mostly young European women). I am still reeling months after having seen this movie, and hope that it leaves the same impact on others that it did on me. Enjoy!

matching a film with...

Author: Gulseren Adakli from Turkey
19 June 2007

I think that there is a big misunderstanding for evaluating and matching the films in this website. I really don't understand how could you match this film with Titanic or another super-productions like it? They are totally different. One of them (Titanic) is a super-production which was touching to the rubbish sentiments. But Brides is a historical and popular drama which was touching a real human interest (There is no a beautiful actress like Kate Winslet or handsome actor like Leonardo Di Caprio in Brides). I suppose that this matching is a sign about the different point of views between the cinemas (and may be all of art) West and the East... There is a different historical background between the two regions. I know that these are not clear categories to explain the human behavior or attitudes which were leaking to a film but in the first glance, you can understand which culture determining the atmosphere of a film. In Brides, you can see a different humanism...

Will Nyfes be shown in the States?

Author: hpord1 from United States
26 May 2005

Does anyone know if and when this movie will be shown in the States? Or if there is somewhere I could purchase the DVD or video, as long as its not in PAL? I was recently over at a Greek friend's house who has Greek cable, and the television show that was on was showcasing this movie. I am a history buff, and the historical aspect of this story peeked my interest. Also I am a fan of Damien Lewis, I think he is one of the best actors to come out of Europe in a long time. In the past I have enjoyed his performances in other movies that he has been in. My most favorite, was Band of Brothers, and I think if he was'nt in Dreamcatchers, I would not have gone and seen it.

The way all love stories should be portrayed

Author: Marie C from Greece
18 April 2014

I remember seeing this movie a few years ago, had enjoyed it immensely & was waiting patiently for it to be shown on TV again. I now remember why I had loved it so much, the setting of the Greek island Samothrace at the beginning, the very realistic & believable love story between Nicki and Norman (who I hadn't known was Damian Lewis the first time I had seen it, & was pleasantly surprised to see him in the leading role), the withheld love between the two & the story that unfolds between them, the tragedy of her friend Haro & many other of the subplots make it into a true masterpiece. I congratulate P.Voulgaris for his great work, I also saw "Mikra Anglia" (Little England)a couple of months ago and truly enjoyed that also. The actors were so believable in their portrayal of their characters, nothing felt exaggerated or overdone, it just all felt natural and real. It does have a sad ending though-none of those Hollywood "happy endings", which also makes it more realistic. I would have liked to see what happened to Norman though...

The untold stories are the most interesting

Author: Tim Johnson from Fremantle, Australia
11 February 2012

Diane and I saw this great film last night and we both were moved by it as well as enjoying the peak into a life that has passed as well as a piece of life that even at that time we were would never have been a part of it. I admit to enjoying these films that take a small look at a small topic rather than the big Hollywood overview of human existence; of course, there is a need for those big pictures but it is refreshing to see these small "slice of life" films and Brides is certainly a film that covers this in an extraordinarily competent manner. We could not fault the film in any way; the script covered all primary plot subjects that unfortunately bathed these situations: love blocked by an older parent, love blocked by family considerations back home and the attempt by unscrupulous "managers" to sexually corrupt the women trying to seek a better life. These considerations are all present now as people try to seek that better life. The circumstances are the same just new countries to be fled. Brides is well worth the viewer's time in looking for it or watching it when it comes up on a movie channel; it is excellent film making.

A truly beautiful story

Author: Jennifer from Australia
11 November 2008

The only reason that I didn't give this movie 10/10 was because of one really offensive word that was used several times in the movie but one of the supporting characters in the story - it was the only thing that really detracted from the story.

Following Niki from the time she leaves her island to marry the man who her sister didn't Niki catches the eye of Norman. Norman is returning to America to try and salvage his own marriage. He gets Niki work as a seamstress. Niki is to marry a tailor and while she tries to deny her feelings she knows what she feels for him.

The voyage that continues to America sees heartache, love, romance and tragedy - it is really beautiful with an ending that perfectly suits the movie - though I personally didn't see it coming.

A beautiful movie worth watching.

An entertaining film based on an interesting immigrant experience.

Author: travelman-1 from toronto, canada
2 October 2004

I saw this film which premiered at the Toronto Film Festival this September. The film was spoken in both Greek and English (by the appropriate characters). The director Pantelas Voulgaris and at least one of the principal actors, Jason Lewis were in attendance in the row in front of mine. The plot centered on an immigrant "mail-order bride" from Greece sailing to America to be wed to a Greek husband along with other young women from her country and other European brides. She meets an American photographer on board, played by Jason Lewis. While I thought the premise was different and interesting, the film lagged in parts and the chemistry did not seem to be there between the principals. There were some good supporting cast performances and it did manage to hold the interest. All in all, just entertaining but not memorable.

Disappointment

Author: muge_kurubas from Turkey
29 October 2005

The film was really disappointing. I cannot believe that the director was Martin Scorsese. At the end of the film I asked myself; What did the film want to tell? What was its aim? The psychological problems the brides were having could not be mentioned properly throughout the film. The film told the problems of only two women (Niki and Haro). The problem about the Russian girls could not be understood and stayed unanswered. The American photographer (Mr.Harris) was acting awful, his sentences were real-clichés. Niki's hair's turning white was not dramatic but comic. There were also inconsistent events. The dialogs were poor in general. In short the film was a waste of time.

The worst movie I'v ever seen

Author: James Bee from Shanghai
19 June 2006

I saw this movie on the 9th Shanghai International Film Festival. It's such an awful one I can hardly bear it. The story begins quite beautifully, but as it goes on it's getting worse and worse. The history part is no problem. These brides are truly poor and unlucky. But the question is the plot doesn't focus on the feeling of the women. It goes for beautiful landscape and badly made computer tech of the ship. The photographer lost his head strangely when facing the unattracting but typical Greek woman. She looks better when her hair turned into fully white. Turning one's hair into white is not fresh in Chinese history. But the general Wu Zixu had greater reason to do so, not like the woman in the movie which seems quite no reason. The other brides on board are also strange when throwing themselves into the arms of the buyers. The only good part is the girl playing Lute and keep singing Greek songs. Others are totally out of reason. When the pimp saying that: I must be punished. The tragedy finally turned into a joke. I don't know what happened to the whole crew. Can't they make anything better?

Page 2 of 2:[1] [2]