IMDb > Brides (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Nyfes

Brides More at IMDbPro »Nyfes (original title)

Yet another gem of the up and coming Greek cinema!!!!

Author: MissPiggyGR from United Kingdom
29 December 2004

This is a wonderful film which manages to combine a historical film and romantic tearjerker all in one. The cinematography is nothing short of amazing with beautiful imagery of both the mysterious and oh so distant world of the north eastern regions of Greece and its residents. But it is not only our eyes that are offered such a visual feast as the plot is utterly engaging and the chemistry between the lead characters so immaculate that before long the audience is completely captivated and can not help but submit to the passion and sadness of the two lead characters in the face of unrequited love. A journey rich in cultural elements represented against backdrop of nostalgia, passion and love!

Excellent movie

Author: nicolechatzii from United States
23 June 2005

I saw this movie on June 17 '05 at the Acadamy of Motion Pictures theater in Bevery Hills. It is an outstanding movie. Damien Lewis is very good in the film. The lead actress Victoria Haralambidou (?) is also excellent. Those with Greek blood and especially those of the diaspora will find deep emotions in this film. I came away feeling that it is a testament to the strength of Greek women. I hope that it soon will be distributed widely in the USA so that it can be seen by a wider audience. There is an unforgettable scene of all the mail order brides in their wedding dresses from throughout Greece, Turkey, and Russia. As the Damien Lewis character comments, "like snowflakes in the summer".

Hello to other side of Aegean

Author: g-one sawooll from Turkey
7 November 2005

I have to present my respect to producers of Brides those are come from my neighbor country for this excellent movie. This movie,stands as a statue of excellency next to bullshits of Hollywood. Greaks teach to world how a romance movie is made. You can see neither voluptuous sexuality nor meaningless and artificial "love". Real life stories of real and "ordinary" seven hundreds brides who were ordered by mail, and real LOVE Norman and Niki. The question of "why a this kind of movie can not attract of attention of many of people", should be asked by every real cinema fan to him/herself. Common, leave bullshits of Hollywood, turn your faces and "brains" to real movies and world cinema. Break and destroy hegemony of American "junk culture" which effects every millimeter of life

Excellent film, strong sexual tension in love story based on historical event.

Author: nikolai3 from Hania, Crete
10 November 2004

Excellent film. Characters well developed. Visually, a beautiful film: from the sky and the sea of the Greek islands to the smallest detail of the wedding dresses of the brides from many different places. The sexual tension builds between the two main characters in a believable way as they carefully develop their relationship, respectful of each other and ever aware of the invisible boundaries that separate them. The film is imagined from a true historical event which lends poignancy to the plot. It gives great insight into Greek culture on things such as life on the Greek islands at that time in history and the importance of family honor in Greek families. It also addresses issues that we struggle with in our modern world. I hope you will be able to see it. It's well worth the time invested.

A heart-wrenching REAL romance. 10 out of 10!

Author: celluloidcity from Sydney, Australia
18 September 2005

The 2005 Greek Film Festival has come to Canberra, and this movie was the biggest attraction. Wow! What a film! A touching yet subtle story of love, longing and desire. The tragedy of the situation of these mail-order brides, lost without a connection to their homeland, without money, family or hope for the future. This was a beautifully shot and acted film. The director Pantelis Voulgaris should be congratulated. Damian Lewis has never been stronger, a gorgeous leading man, who gives his character Norman, such a natural on screen presence, that there appears to be nothing artificial about him. Niki is a fine leading female character, strong, resolute, yet naturally human and weak. The love story, not just amongst the principles simmered and grew, the sexual tension not forced or faked. Wonderful.

One of those "if all movies were made like this" films. Kudos to all involved. A real-life story of passionate love. Bravo.

Awesome love story, doramertz

Author: doramertz from Chania, Crete, Greece
15 February 2006

My English are not very well but I'll try. This is a movie that I really love. It moves me a lot and contains some so wonderful scenes and quotes that I'll remember for years. Of course I have the special edition of DVD and I've seen it again and again. The movie has the most powerful erotic moment that I saw in cinema for a long time now – so far from the cliché and stereotypes of Hollywood. Her shoe, his hand, their eyes! Nothing more. No sweet words, no unnecessary movements. Just a touch and a look. The performances are very emotional and the same time realistic, the direction of Pantelis Voulgaris strong and precise and the music haunts you many hours after the viewing. And don't forget that the movie tell us some true events that happened at the early of 1900. Imagine a women (700 in the movie) who travel with an old ship cross the Atlantic (when till then she never goes farther 1 km from her poor village). She's going to a foreign country, an unknown future and a stranger husband with only some clothes and the photograph of him. She is clever, dynamic and good looking, and in spite of all that marks she accepts her destiny, against to her heart and her deepest feelings, because the family and the traditional values have the first priority in her choices. After "Brides" I feel deeply grateful for the fact that I am a citizen of 21 century and in a democracy which NOW respect the women as equal as the men. I recommend you strongly this film.

Maybe, a Greek story

Author: Armand from Romania
2 November 2007

Sad, beautiful, subtle, it is a strange poem about limits of love and shadows of duty. A film about sacrifice and emotions of worlds and searches. A picture of the last century, very old, small, paper cry. The people and their desire. Confuse, heavy, cold. Signs of resignation and pieces of innocent beauty. Splendid images and a delicate emotion as nimbus of confession. A parable of lost smile. Some women and a photographer. And a long travel to America. A new world, a new life and a love without bones. A Greek story. Or a story of every day in a land of nobody. It is not important. The pain, the dreams, the illusions are the same. The faces and looks are pieces of a huge game of existences, hopes and emotions. So, a sad, beautiful, subtle movie.

Great movie!!!

Author: milou894 from Netherlands
26 July 2005

I had the opportunity to see this last year at The Toronto Film Festival. It was definitely my favorite of the festival. The story is beautiful and a topic that has never been featured before in a movie. All these mail-order-brides from Greece, Turkey, Russia and other east-European countries on there way to the US to marry a man they only knew from a photograph. I love the romance-story between Norman Harris and Nikki Douka. The end is quite a surprise and it brought a tear to my eye. This is not a Hollywood block-buster with lots of special effects, but it is a real story about something that happened in Greek history almost a century ago. It is not only for Greek people but also for those who love a romantic love story unfolding in tragedy...

Mail Order Brides

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
15 January 2013

In 1922, with the Greco-Turkish War and the Russia Civil War, the women from these countries find husband in the United States through correspondence with immigrants.

The bride Eleni (Foteini Kontoudaki) returns from the United States to Samothrace, Greece, since she has not adapted to the life in America. Her sister Niki Douka (Victoria Haralabidou) is assigned as her replacement and travels aboard the SS King Alexander to New York to marry the Greek immigrant Prodromos (Giorgos Makris) in Chicago. Nikki is a hard worker and works sewing along the trip for the passengers and crew. She becomes a leader of the brides and discovers the scheme of the crook Karabulat (Steven Berkoff) from Georgia with the Russian brides. She also falls in love with the American photographer Norman Harris (Damian Lewis) from Detroit. But Nikki is committed with Prodromos and she knows the consequence with her family in Samothrace if she runs away with Norman.

"Nyfes" is a beautiful and melancholic romance about the mail order brides from the East that come to the United States to marry unknown immigrants that they know only by pictures provided by the agencies. The sacrifice of the lead character Nikki is heartbreaking and she is aware of her duty with her unknown husband-to-be. The direction and cinematography are top-notch and the art direction is rich in details. Despite the unknown cast, the performances are excellent. I bought this DVD many years ago and only yesterday I saw this great movie, and I regret a lot. My vote is eight.

Title (Brazil): "Noivas" ("Brides")

Brides - the most moving film

Author: vkotziamani from United Kingdom
11 August 2005

I managed to see 'Brides' on DVD while on holiday in Cyprus. The beautiful cinematography was as good as anything I've seen and Damien Lewis and Victoria Charalambidou moved me to tears. This has got to at least get an Oscar nomination. But the subtitling needs consideration - my Greek is not up to following all the dialogue and I could have done with subtitles. As to the theory that there are too many sub-plots - maybe they could be followed up in prequel/sequel form. In novels there are many hints of other plots which are exploited by the author in a series. I don't see 'too many sub-plots ' as a valid criticism. But does anyone agree with me that the character of Olga looks 13, not 16?! But that only made her predicament even more touching. Recommend it to your friends - for much of it is in English.