IMDb > Are We There Yet? (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Are We There Yet?

Are We There Yet? More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 15: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Not a Good Movie to Watch On a Bus

Author: Brian Washington (Sargebri@att.net) from Los Angeles, California
11 November 2005

This is probably one of the most excruciating films I ever had to sit through and it was done involuntarily. The only reason I looked at it was due to the fact that it was being played on a bus on the way home from a trip and this film was very painful to watch. The story was not even intriguing and it probably would make a good torture technique for prisoners of war. Ice Cube is a pretty good actor, but his talents are totally wasted in this lame attempt at comedy. Also, the two kids in this film make the Katzenjammer Kids look like the Waltons. In fact, the kids came off more like a couple of spoiled brats rather than a couple of kids who are looking to bring their parents together or at least looking out for their mom's best interests. In fact, they may be a perfect argument in favor of corporal punishment. This has to be one of the worst films in cinematic history and when I see it on the shelf I will be sure to pass it by.

Pitiful

Author: smfarnsworth from Manchester, England
5 November 2005

Bored one Wednesday evening and with nothing on the main movie channels we dared to choose a pay-per-view film. The only thing that fitted in with our schedule was Are We There Yet.

Having seen the trailer some time ago we decided to give it a chance and once again we were thoroughly let down by the weakest movie I've seen in a long time.

The trailer makes it look quite fun and there are some light hearted moments but really this is just going through the motions. You know how it's going to end from the second it starts and you just count down the seconds until it comes.

We paid £2.99 for the film and felt short-changed at the end. Nuff said...

Cute and fun...the most it could be

Author: Robert W. (Robert_duder@hotmail.com) from Ontario, Canada
7 July 2005

I must say I am completely blown away by people using this film as some sort of racial lesson...why are African American people being portrayed like this blah blah blah...come on now folks?? This film is meant to be a funny, cute little comedy NOT reality and I don't think anyone in the film is portrayed in a poor light. Granted I am white but when I consider the amount of films I see where there are stupid white people...it kinda outweighs anything else I've seen. We are much poorly represented I assure you. Are We There Yet is a nice, cute little story and even Ice Cube pulls off a nice kid's film.

Are We There Yet is the story of playboy bachelor Nick Persons who meets the girl of his dreams in Suzanne Kingston. Unfortunately she has the one thing about her Nick can't stand...KIDS!! Nick and Suzanne become very good friends but he avoids her kids at all costs. When Nick tries to take their relationship further she insists that they can't because he doesn't care about her children. His opportunity to prove otherwise comes when the children's' father can't pick them up when Suzanne is going away. Nick offers to take them to Suzanne and she agrees. After missing their flight Nick realizes he is going to have to drive them the distance in his brand new car. The kids are overly rambunctious and eventually by the time the trip is over the kids and Nick will feel very different about each other.

Brian Levant has had more than enough directorial experience with this type of film and it shows. He knows what he's good at and this film fits into that. Any comparison to Home Alone makes no sense at all with the exception of the first 60 seconds of the film. The biggest thing to remember is that this film wasn't meant to be realistic. It was probably geared more towards children or just if you want something a little silly. The talking bobble head...while funny at times...is a little out of place and odd in the film. And the ending when Suzanne and Nick do get together is very tacked on, she just suddenly decides she wants to be with him and it doesn't fit in. But other than that the film is very funny. Lots of laughs and a little cute story thrown in. If you're looking for something serious and realistic don't see this...definitely but if you want something fun and family friendly check this one!! 7/10

this movie is great

Author: linz18 from lebanon
4 July 2005

iv seen this film and i thought it would be boring but its not its fun and not boring and the casting was great because everybody did well with there roles and i like the idea of the story how much one man will do to get the women to like him and i liked the talking wiggly head its funny and when you watch it from the begging it will strange how they made the begging but i guess thats why the movie is so much fun ice cube played his part so well and not to mention Alisha Allen from the school of rock and Philip bolden how was in Johnson family vacation and i liked how so much ice cube (nick) went through for the kids not to ruin his car but they did

Are we...

Author: IMSandman from Silicon Valley, California
31 May 2005

This movie is currently a 3.5 rating. It's not that bad. Is it a great comedy... No.

It is a family movie that is more for 10 year old kids. It is sort of like a Home Alone movie, except in the car. Thus, it is National Lampoon's Vacation mixed together with Home Alone, but not as funny.

It is certainly not your typical Ice Cube movie by any stretch of the imagination.

If you like Cube and want a movie that the whole family can enjoy, then this may be good for you. Otherwise, there are much better comedies to choose from.

Not a bad film...

Author: davideo-2 from United Kingdom
5 March 2005

STAR RATING:*****Unmissable****Very Good***Okay**You Could Go Out For A Meal Instead*Avoid At All Costs

Nick Persons (Ice Cube) is a man who runs a collectibles shop and seems to be on some kind of permanent LSD trip as he has a tacky car accessory that,for some obscure reason,seems to talk to him!And now he's been saddled with another problem-he's just met and struck up a close relationship with the beautiful Suzanne (Nia Long) which gets so close she entrusts him to take her two children on a cross-country trip to meet their estranged father.However,the little brats are none too happy about the close relationship Nick is developing with their mother and ,like many suitors before him,they set out to make his life a living hell...

This isn't usually the sort of film I would give a second glance,but I was in a silly kind of mood and decided to engage my childish side a bit.And in a very immature kind of way,it was very funny in many parts of the film (that one little kid was funny enough just by being there,with his alien shaped head and bemused expression!)But it's the kind of film that adheres to the kind of slap-stick Home Alone style violence that would probably have many parents abjecting and probably would play a part in warping young minds.

Director Brian Levant doesn't have a very impressive track record behind him in terms of his involvement with kids movies,with such filmic abominations as Snow Dogs,Jingle All the Way and Problem Child 2 (read:Problem Child 2!) under his belt,but he appears to have hit his target audience on the head with this.In the lead role,Cube has moved his film career on,but the script finds it hard going to disassociate him from the ghetto culture he's pretty much ingrained in,with numerous references to his roots thrown up,such as when he tells one of the kids he could be shot just for liking a certain type of music or driving his car with 50 Cent music blasting out his loud-speakers,which doesn't make the content fit very well with the subject-matter of the kids film at hand.The two kid actors,it has to be said,are very good and have a good rapport with Cube.They are aiming to be,and are,just obnoxious enough to serve their function well...

Overall,Are We There Yet? is not particularly charming and not particularly inspired in any way,but,a bit like it's central characters predicament,doing something it feels inexperienced doing,it just about manages to hit the right nails on the head and surfaces as passable entertainment.**

Wasn't A Fun Film

Author: BrohmaBull007 from United States
16 February 2006

I had little faith in this movie. Now I wanted to see this movie because relatives were in town with young cousins and we needed to see a family fun movie. So I went and saw this in theatres (the only movie in 2005 I saw in theatres) and I was bored. I didn't enjoy this movie at all. I think all the jokes were sort of slapstick (which I don't like) The children are in their roles but they are ANNOYING throughout this movie. They only serve as the thorn in the butt of Ice Cube. I liked Ice Cube in the Barbershop Movies but he didn't get the job done for me in this one. He just seems like the stereotypical big mouth gangster black man that I've seen a thousand times. I also don't like movies were one character has misfortune after misfortune after misfortune at every turn. Jay Mohr was WAY off in this film and he was a HUGE miscast. Now my cousins liked it but I guess its because they are young. Maybe I was too old to go see it.

The film was another example of brats who never get theirs!

Author: jdmeyers from United States
2 January 2006

Most of the movie these two horrible monster brat children get away with the worst kind of behavior and it leaves you wondering whether their parents EVER disciplined them in their entire lives. They are two evil spawn that leaves you with the feelings of wanting to beat them senseless while screaming SHUT UP, SHUT UUUUUUP!!!! Towards the end of the movie you're hoping something really bad happens to the both of them and no amount of explanation for their crummy behavior will ever have you feeling any sympathy for them. Even when the kids become hurt by the actions of their Dad and begin to cry you still don't care. Their spoiled evil little bastards. The movie is NOT funny. You pity the main character "Nick" and can finally understand why he hates kids to begin with. And if you liked kids before seeing this movie, then don't watch it. Because by the end you will.

a tale about 2 disrespectful kids

Author: MLDinTN from TN
18 December 2005

The 2 kids in this were pure evil. It's hard to hope they have a happy ending when they seem to love to torture their elders. In this, Ice Cube, plays Nick, a guy who likes a lady, Suzzanne, with 2 nasty kids. Suzzanne has to go to Canada for her job and Nick volunteers to take the kids there on New Year's Eve. They have problems at the airport and bus station, so must travel in Nick's new SUV to get there. The kids make a mess inside the car. They lock him outside and try to drive away. They make a truck driver think they need help, so he runs Nick off the road. Eventually, the SUV is totaled. The kids run away to their dads and are disappointed with what they find. But, I didn't feel bad for them since they were such brats. Eventually, they all make it to Suzzanne's party. And after all Nick went through, she acts ungrateful and doesn't care her kids are so evil. But since it's a kid's movie, you know they all end up forgiving each other and happy at the end.

FINAL VERDICT: I don't recommend it because the kids were so mean. If you don't like the kids, you can't hope they end up happy. What they deserved is a switch.

Not just Bad...."Wow" Bad!

Author: mamamiasweetpeaches from New York, NY
12 December 2005

ARE WE THERE YET is quite possibly the worst movie I have seen in '05. But I pretty much knew this going in. I remember seeing the commercials and rolling my eyes and thinking "Man, that looks bad. And what, by the way, is ICE CUBE doing to himself? this has "Career Killer" written all over it." When it played in theaters I was lucky enough to not get roped into taking my little one to see it. But it was on cable this weekend and my luck ran out. We decided to watch this one "as a family". I will not lie to you. My daughter, age 7 laughed a few times. My husband laughed about 2 or 3 times. Me: Not even a smile. It was so bad I was beside myself in disbelief. The premise is this: This guy named Nick falls into love at first sight with a woman he sees crossing the street outside the store he owns. Sadly, the woman has two hellion children who have made a habit out of torturing any guy who trys to date their mom. Their parents are divorced and the kids believe if they can fight off potential suitors that one day their parents will get back together. Their mother knows that their father is a deadbeat dad who shows no interest in the kids and is never coming back but she hides the facts from them so they wont get hurt feelings. Nick and The Mom become friends and he wants to be more than "just friends" so he decides if he can make nice with the kids Mom will see what a great guy he is and agree to date him. Mom has a business trip and is going to leave the kids with their father but their father doesn't show up. Nick offers to take the kids and get them to where Mom will be staying on her business trip. Mom, only having known Nick for a mere day or two, agrees to let this man she just met take her two kids. (Is this woman Crazy????) Thge kids are ready to give Nick Hell...and they do. They are nasty and annoying. (The little girl is nasty and obnoxious to the max, the little boy is more like the little boy on Bernie Mac, just unfortunate enough to have asthma, have to pee a lot, and throw up at bad times, stuff like that). This movie should have a disclaimer that runs along the bottom of the screen: "Do Not Try This At Home", because it shows these kids doing things kids should never ever do. I could not believe they were so irresponsible to show a little girl jump behind the wheel of a car and start to drive! I couldn't believe the scene where the kids fake being kidnap victims! I also couldn't believe the kids had the poor taste to "fake" an asthma attack to pull a prank on someone. Nick's misadventures with the terrible twosome include missing a plane, them jumping on a train and him riding alongside it on a horse, them stealing his car and him riding on top of it dangling half in half out of the sun roof, and them totally ruining his car. They also run afoul some truckers and a crazy deer and a Chuck E Cheese-like holiday party complete with terrible karaoke scene. In the middle we find out the cold hard truth about Dad (Who can blame him?) and in the end we meet up with angry Mom, who has the balls to be upset at the way the man she barely knew handled her beloved offspring. (At this point you will ask yourself why Nick even still wants to date this obnoxious harridan!) Spare yourself the agony of ARE WE THERE YET and watch a good children's movie. You wouldn't wish these brats on your worst enemy!