IMDb > Are We There Yet? (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Are We There Yet?

Are We There Yet? More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

How does something like this get approved for production.

Author: james_kelly547 from Wales
23 May 2005

Sometimes we can be over critical of a movie and call it the worst EVER made. but this is one film that i couldn't be critical of enough.

it's a family film i guess but it's not even slightly funny on any level. the performances of all the cast is woeful, Ice Cube snarls and does his usual thing so i suppose he does fine, but the leading lady and children act like they have been plucked off the street. its embarrassingly bad at times, then again i guess the abysmal script doesn't help. C'mon who writes this rubbish. Fart gags, puking gags, and i need a pee gags. it really is terrible.

If someone suggests renting this out from the video store i'd run a mile. avoid at all costs this is TERRIBLE.

Avoid!!!!!!

Author: hppg
26 March 2005

"Are We There Yet?" has a clever title, but that's the only good thing about the movie. It's an absolutely torturous road movie which has got to be one of the worst films made in recent years. Basically, Nick, played by Ice Cube, gets a crush on a single mother, only they more or less develop a platonic relationship instead. She has two demon children who don't want her to date anybody. They are selfish and generally terrible monsters. They barely seem to have a shred of decency, meaning that any children in the audience won't identify with them. This is a huge problem. Unfortunately, none of the characters in this film are at all likable, except maybe Nick. Poor old Nick offers to drive the children across the country in his new car as a huge favour for the mother. Huge mistake. Here begins a part of the film even worse than the beginning where everything that could possibly go wrong goes wrong. Bad things happen to Nick, his car starts to become a wreck, and this is supposed to be funny? In order to make people like this silly sort of humour, you need to make sure the children are sweet, and those being beaten up are bad (see "Home Alone"). In this case, two demons are ruining things for a generally nice guy doing good deeds – and although he probably wants to get inside their mother's pants, he isn't a nasty person. There is a part where Nick gets bashed by a deer – the thing is so obviously computer-generated, and Ice Cube's reactions are so over-the-top, it is extremely painful to watch. The two children weren't very good actors, and Ice Cube wasn't much better. Avoid this horrible escapade at all costs!

Home Alone + Tommy Boy x 2 kids = pure crap

Author: skippydmb from rochester, ny
22 February 2005

This movie was worse than I thought it could have ever been. I know this was a kids movie but even the theater 1/3 of the way full, mostly with kids only laughed a few times. Calling things just before they would happen is probably the only thing that got me through this trash. It was so predictable that is actually bothered me. The whole movie surrounded this dope fly vehicle of Cubes, it wasn't even that great of a car. Spinning rims!! OH SHNAP YO!!!! I never would have predicted the ending either. Damn I bet she still wants him even after he beets the crap out of some snowmen and her kids end up with some trucker and on trains and ...... oh forget it. and check out the horse that Cube rides next to the train. I picked it out at being fake in the first shot of it. This made Garfield look good and that was just horrible. If at all possible, never ever see this movie. You will be a better person in the long run.

Worst movie EVER

Author: nedzelic from Australia
19 March 2005

I have never written on IMDb and never have on any other movie review sites but i felt compelled to for this one. What a load of garbage. The worst movie i have ever seen at the movies by far. I was coaxed into going little did i know that it was a kids movie - it has Ice Cube in for God's sake. I thought at least it could be like one of those crappy DMX action movies but it wasn't even up to that low standard. I mean come on people! A summary of why this the worst movie i have ever seen

- typically American style for a kids flick - ie really cheesy, corny lines, happy ending - need i go on - predicable - gee, i din't see that last seen coming - nothing new: man falls in love with a woman the first time he sees her - had no moral message - Plot summary: just cos she's beautiful; he offers in an attempt to get into her pants to look after her kids who surprise surprise are brats; they don't like like him at first then they end up liking him; the woman doesn't appreciate what he does until she sees how her kids love him and see him as their new dad; then the final scene is them kissing on new years at midnight -

Absolute GARBAGE - i cannot emphasizes this enough If any sane mined person with an IQ of above 50 wants to spend $12; WARNING this not the way. The only thing that kept me in the theater for the whole tow hours 110 mins was the comfortable seats

rating:0/10000000000000000000000000000

Are we DONE yet?

Author: Christy Goodman (christygoodman1@yahoo.com) from Indiana
22 January 2005

Long distance driving, constant headaches, groaning and claustrophobia. Then, that tedious question arises...Are we there yet? But in the new flick, Are we there yet?, that question takes a new meaning.

Through a series of worst-case scenarios from deer attacks to a train race on horseback, Nick Persons (Ice Cube, Barbershop) experiences it all.

Beginning a timid romance between Persons and Suzanne Kingston (Nia Long, Boiler Room), possible babysitters for her children while she's away becomes few and far between, leaving Persons, a child-hater as the only viable option. He must transport Kingston's two "angelic" children 350 miles from Oregon to Vancouver. They attempt to make it in 24 hours by plane, train and automobile.

Directed by Brian Levant, director of Snow Dogs (Cuba Gooding, Jr.) and Jingle All The Way (Arnold Schwarzenegger), he defines his love for making family-fun movies.

For what it was worth, the acting was decent. Ice Cube played a better role than I expected. Aleisha Allen (School of Rock) and Philip Bolden (Johnson Family Vacation) were well-cast. And the cherry on top of the acting was Jay Mohr (Pay It Forward, Jerry Maguire). The way the actors worked together accented the movie.

Cinematography in this movie was exactly what I expected. There were a few intriguing camera angles, better than I've seen from directors of Levant's credibility.

The rating was well chosen as PG. There was minor language and rude humor.

Noticing half of the theater filled with children ranging from five to twelve, and tons of parents, I'd definitely suggest staying away from this movie on a date. There were periodic jokes and entertaining scenes, but if you don't like "kiddy" movies, I would not encourage this.

Away from Home Alone

Author: tedg (tedg@FilmsFolded.com) from Virginia Beach
1 March 2005

The more I study film ideas, the more I'm amazed at how some ideas continue to live.

Take the notion of humorous cruelty. Were the Stooges the first to build a franchise around this? In modern times, it is the "Home Alone" franchise where we are given an excuse for accepting the cruelties because the hurter is a clever but innocent child and the hurtees are stereotypical bad guys.

Here the idea tries a new incarnation. Lest there be any mistake about the source, the movie actually starts in the "old" Home Alone mode with our (anonymous) victim encountering tripwires that trigger child-made traps of household goods and toys.

Then it shifts into the new mode. In this edition, some of the tricks are intended and some are not. The victim is a new kind of shiftless: a black man actually trying to be "ghetto." The story is supposed to smoothly morph in a sort of "What About Bob" way from pain to rewarding relationship. The turning point is also stereotypical: the treasured black dad has abandoned his family and the beleaguered suitor is revealed to be someone to whom that also happened.

I think humor about race, especially racial stereotypes, is fair game. How better to puncture racism? But its got to be funny doesn't it?

This picture turns out to be what it starts to be about: a way of torturing a black dude who manages a slick appearance of the ghetto (we're talking about the guy who calls himself Ice Cube here, not his character) and tries to put himself where he doesn't belong. Poignant maybe, but neither funny nor endearing.

Lost your brain recently? You're still too smart to enjoy this.

Author: nebula84uk from United Kingdom
22 June 2005

I knew this movie was going to be bad before I sat down to watch it, and yet I allowed myself to do so anyway. Still, I found myself completely unprepared for the intense levels of suckage that were about to flow from the screen and speakers, corrupting my senses. I won't elaborate on why this film was so bad, as everything I wanted to say about it has been covered with great skill in the previous comment. So instead I'll just use this space to insult the people who enjoyed the film by calling them drooling fools.

Also, I know they kids in the film were only acting, but if I saw them in real life, I would still slap them across the face with whatever I had to hand.

Don't even bother with this film unless you are missing both sight and hearing. But even then I wouldn't risk it, you might feel the awfulness slowly creeping into your brain.

Terrible

Author: maclarke-1 from United Kingdom
18 February 2005

Sorry, i just literally came back from the cinema and felt that i had to warn everyone about this film. I love family films as much as the next person, but at least those that are actually funny and don't make you want to walk out of the theatre in the first scene. Don't bother wasting your money. go and rent home alone again! I hated everything about the movie. i was actually surprised that some people were laughing gin the cinema, but maybe i've lost my sense of humour...who knows. But one thing is for sure, you can go and see it. If your disappointed then i was right all along, but if you like it....shame on you....i'm right anyway... Please...don't waste your time

the worst movie i've ever seen in 21 years

Author: chip_chip2049 from United States
14 June 2008

i usually read comments on IMDb but i've never bothered to write a review. However, after watching this Garbage, i've to register to write my very first comment.

this movies doesn't deserve a 1/10. i must be 0/10. the worst and stupidest movie i've ever seen in 21 years. it has everything need to be in the Trash bin; terrible story, really bad actress.

at first, i thought it was a very comedy movie with Ice Cube in it but it turned out to be Extremely disappointed. i wasted $15 to buy this UMD movie, if anyone wants it. i give it to you for 99 cents.

don't waste your time watching this crap. stay away from it

Super awful

Author: haysonhang from United States
30 May 2005

This movie is so boring, I fall asleep while watching it. I can't stand those Kids talking back and acting like a big mama, oh common guys do you want your kids talking like that to you and other older people without any respecting? well I think you guy should pick another movie better for your kids to learn but not this one I'm be honest I read someone said this movie is funny for kids? well I think he should check with his problem, no wonder nowadays kids learn things so quick and bad especially talking back and being rude to others, why they become like that parents? because what they watch and what they learn, they learn quickly and please don't give me wrong that it is not smart. Somebody thinks the way they talk like that it means they are smart but it is not. Well you should not waste your time and money on this movie, boring and rude kids

Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]