IMDb > The Adventures of Ociee Nash (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Adventures of Ociee Nash

The Adventures of Ociee Nash More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Entertaining and wholesome kids (and adults) movie

Author: lynn-162 from United States
15 December 2004

This was a thoroughly enjoyable movie experience. The plot is a little bit thin in places making a few scenes feel a bit contrived, but overall the plot hangs together nicely and moves along at a good pace. The acting is uniformly good, as is the quality of the cinematography. The film is visually lush, more like a big-budget Hollywood production than an indie.

So if you are looking for an entertaining movie that will be enjoyed by younger children and adults alike - you have found it! It doesn't rely on gimmicks, crudeness or "blowing things up" in lieu of a real plot - so it is a throwback to quality children's' movies of yesteryear. The movie's makers are to be rewarded for believing there is still a place for a wholesome movie in an increasingly Bratz kind of world - and there is and this movie proves it.

Quirky charm and gentle touch

Author: stevepem from Atlanta, Georgia
29 February 2004

Parents take their kids by droves to the latest Disney or Pixar films, and other high production value movies that basically just stimulate hyperactivity in kids. That's okay, but parents should give their kids a balanced diet by also taking them to see movies like Ociee Nash that are a little bit closer to the world that they live in, with simpler, thought provoking situations that a child can identify with. The theater that I saw Ociee in during a Saturday matinee had lots of small children in the audience. They were quiet as can be and seemed completely engaged in the story. I knew they were watching because they would occasionally laugh or comment at something that one of the characters said, indicating that they were actually listening to the dialogue! Not bad for a movie that actually has some redeeming value to it. The movie shows how a young person can overcome adversity in their life through courage and love, and that by doing so they can have a positive effect on the lives of the people around them.

For adults the movie offers a quirky charm and a gentle touch which is not only rare, but virtually extinct in Hollywood. Watching this movie with your kids will do you some good too.

Atlanta's Magical Movie

Author: Ann-Carol Pence from United States
15 December 2004

Growing up, Sounder, Tom Sawyer, and Mary Poppins were the movies that molded me and I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of Ociee Nash, a small homegrown film. As a Georgian, I was glad to see Atlanta's beauty through a filmmaker's eyes and as an artist, I was glad to see so many local celebrities mixed in with solid performers like Keith Carradine and Mare Winningham. We, in the suburbs of Atlanta, were fortunate to be able to send many friends to to see what I now call an endangered species - the FAMILY FILM. As I grow older, I long for those films that make us, as human beings, dare to search for great adventure. Milam Propst's A Flower Blooms on Charlotte Street was a great children's book that some adults may never have known about had there not been The Adventures of Ociee Nash. I am glad the McGary sisters had the vision to turn this magical story into a movie that everyone can enjoy. As a side note - any story with a mysterious gypsy with one eye and an infectious laugh is sure to be a crowd pleaser!!

This movie was refreshing.

Author: mickdeby from Chattanooga, TN
23 February 2004

While this was not a high tech movie, it was very refreshing to enjoy a family story in which the children were not crass and rude, the father was not an idiot, and the mother was not a wise-cracking woman constantly making a fool out of Dad while remaining always in confused deference to the last word spoken by the children. Thanks to the creators of this movie for giving us something different for family fare! We will recommend the movie, and we'll watch it again. We are from Chattanooga, so it was especially fun for us to see the parts of the film made here in our city, and in nearby Atlanta.

We loved it!

Author: agf6404
2 March 2004

My husband and I took my eight and ten year old daughters to see this film on a recommendation from our neighbors. We loved it! Our girls continue to quote lines from the film especially "Hey Mister, Where's your sister?" So many times we take our children to movies and struggle to answer question concerning the movies content. With Ociee Nash, we were able to get a bit of a history lesson with characters like President McKinley, the Wright Brothers, and Nellie Bly in the story line. The scenery was a delight: the trains, the countryside, the beautiful turn of the century homes. It's nice to find a movie that can be entertaining while at the same time reminding us that character and bravery are timeless qualities.

A Step Back In Time, Well Cast, Well Acted.

Author: Wild_River_Rat from Chattanooga, TN USA
14 February 2004

The movie is set in 1898 and focuses on a young girl from a Mississippi farm who is sent to Asheville, NC to live with her aunt to learn how to be a proper young lady. The title character lost her mother to "the measles." Interstate travel is by passenger train. Local travel is by horseback or horse-drawn wagon or carriage. The opportunities for women in this era are severely limited. Keith Carradine's portrayal of Ociee's father, a widowed farmer who wants the best for his beloved only daughter, resonates with all the appropriate love and simple dignity. Skyler Day is quite perfect as Ociee. Mare Winningham, whose character, "Aunt Mamie," would have been a lifeless cliche in the hands of a lesser actor, makes Aunt Mamie a living, breathing, complex and slightly mysterious Southern Lady. All the child actors are completely believable. The scenery in the movie is beautiful. There is no bad language in this film, no violence beyond the level of a typical sibling wrestling match. The film has a quirkiness reminiscent of "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?" and "Forrest Gump," but it can stand alone on its own merits. It should be irresistible to anyone who has ever wrestled with a sibling, climbed a tree, or been criticized for not being a "proper" young lady or gentleman. See it with someone you love.

Great "G" rated film for kids, nice change of pace

Author: friendtofilm from Atlanta, Georgia
10 March 2004

If you have children and do not like the films of today that strip our young children of their innocence, you will love this film! Simple, safe for any child, clean, good story line, lively charactors, beautiful scenery, great history lesson through fiction and just a calm relaxing movie for the parents and their children. Nice change of pace... It will remind you (if you are a babyboomer) of the Disney type films we grew up on. Read the other comments and of coarse the one bad one, isn't funny how we all focus on the one bad comment and ignore the all the other good ones. People love the negative. Well Ociee Nash film is everything but negative, so if you would like some positive in your live go see ociee.

A Sweet Family Film

Author: lswygert from Atlanta, GA
1 March 2004

The Adventures of Ociee Nash is a sweet and gentle film for families who are tired of or afraid of taking their children to the movies any more. While films that are marketed as "children's" or "family" films sometimes offend parents with marginal language, questionable action, and cynical view points, "Ociee" is genuinely what it is: a film for the WHOLE family. Only the most jaded viewers will not respond to this earnest, old-fashioned story about one plucky little girl's journey. As the title character, Skyler Day is terrifically charming and appealing. She's a great role model for other little girls, and I bet she's already inspiring little boys to have big crushes.

Finally, a quality film for the entire family!!

Author: Atlantafilmbuff from Atlanta, GA
1 March 2004

After seeing The Adventures of Ociee Nash for the third time with audiences of children of all ages, their parents, and adults without children, I am convinced of the power of this film to entertain and educate many. Hearing the laughter, the clapping, and even a few sobs, I knew that this film had the secret ingredient that makes people love it...a heart. As an adult without children, seeing Ociee made me nostalgic for the family films of my youth, the ones that were wholesome, sweet, and moral. In an age where filmmakers and studios resort to the lowest means to attract the attention of theatergoers, particularly the youth, The Adventures of Ociee Nash takes the high road and relies solely on a great story and great filmmaking. Kudos to those responsible for this treasure for the ages.

Genuine, evocative, heartwarming

Author: rrrooggeerr from Alabama
24 February 2004

This is a flat-out wonderful movie, made sympathetically by people who really cared about the characters they portrayed so vividly. It's a great tale for kids, and will provoke them to think about things that remain important -- the role of women, what's considered proper behavior, daring to take chances and so forth. I can well imagine that there will be lots of interesting conversations between parents and their children after they see this film.

The period settings are convincing and the actors, young and old, give captivating performances. And the score by Van Dyke Parks adds a lot. Let's hope this film gets the recognition and distribution it deserves.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]