IMDb > "One Tree Hill" (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"One Tree Hill"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"One Tree Hill" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 20:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

A great teenage show that deals with many important issues and moral problems!

Author: James Lamont (jameslamont) from London, England
23 February 2005

One Tree Hill is Warner Brothers latest effort to emulate the success of its popular 90's teenage show Dawsons Creek and it a very good job overall. This show really will appeal to the teenage audience, and young adults and it is very plot driven to this age range. The show deals with a lot of sensitive issues that teenagers face such as: sex, drugs,marriage, adoption, affairs, conflicts etc.

The show is set in the fictional town of One Tree Hill and it stars: Chad Michael Murray as honest, likable Lucas Scott, James Laferty as spoilt rich child Nathan Scott, Hillarie Burton as the lonely but good hearted Peyton and Sophia Bush as the feisty but popular Brooke. The actors and actresses cast in these young roles really are the eye candy of the show. They all put in good performances and are totally believable in their roles.

Backing up the cast are a set of adult actors and actresses and these really add another depth to the show. Paul Johansson (Dan Scott) and Moira Kelly (Karen Scott) deserve mentions as they put in great performances as the respective struggling single mother and evil father of the boys. Craig Sheffer (Keith Scott) does a strong performance as Lucas step father and Dan Scotts bother, Barbara Alyn Woods (Deb Scott) makes a good long suffering wife and mother to Dan and Nathan look believable and Barry Cobin does a sturdy performance as Coach Whitey. The adult actors really shine in this show and they help to make the characters interact as well as the children on the show.

Underneath the shows skin is the running pulse of the conflict between long-lost brothers Nathan and Lucas Scott and that is what the whole show is built on. This show works so well is because it allows the adults as much air time as the teenagers and this lets the viewers care much more about all the characters, not just the teenage ones.

The characters are nearly all beautiful, teenage girls will droll over the eye candy of Lucas and Nathan and the teenage boys will droll over Brooke and Peyton. But the fact is that these characters are all very well written and it means that the audience identifies and likes each of the characters in their own unique way. They are certainly not two dimensional characters and as the actors and actresses can act means they are believable.

One Tree Hill is one of the most underrated shows on Television, and this is due to the fact that most people dismiss this show at first hand because they compare it with other teenage shows such as The OC and thats not really fair. This show has some human like quality that makes the show seem down-to-earth and relevant to many people. It does not have the fan base popularity that other teenage shows have, but it nevertheless has a very loyal set of viewers who tune in every week to watch the latest comings and goings on in Tree Hill.

There are some very good episodes of this show, but some others that aren't so good. But the show always churns out consistently good episodes and this means it is much harder to judge how good the show really is in its genre. If you want to see a good solid teenage drama that deals with real issues, in a human way, this is the show for you. Don't miss it 10/10

More than a story

Author: Freemheart from Chile
26 March 2004

I didn't have the time to catch the tv spots when by any reason a finished watching the first episode just a few weeks after the beginning of The O.C., but there's a great difference between both, even when they have a great cast, good scripts, One tree hill feels like something fresh and at the same time more emotional. Some episodes have incredible and beautiful stories, that reminds movies like "stand by me" or the first episodes of dawson's creek, it's that kind of innocence and at the same time deep drama where the whole cast make a terrific(unforgettable) work. It's the kind of show who you wanna watch for more than two hours a day feeling every episode just like a minute of the day. A real pure jewel for TV.

I'm in love

Author: Mandy (ggdollzfanatic) from Oregon, USA
8 November 2003

I am in love with this show. I absolutely adore Chad Michael Murray, and am so glad I made the time to sit down and watch this show on its' premiere night. I haven't missed an episode since. This show is full of lessons for teens with a crappy attitude towards life, and it doesn't hurt that Chad is one of the characters teaching us these lessons. Yes, the story line is a little crazy and hectic, but deep down, there is a lot of love between characters. Hilarie and Chad look wonderful together on screen and have an undeniably great chemistry. James and Chad have a good chemistry as well, and I can't wait to see how their relationship evolves. I am hoping that they will become better friends. I wouldn't miss an episode for any reason. I am obsessed, and I'm perfectly alright with that.

This show rocks!

Author: Gram from England
2 September 2005

Once you've seen dawsons creek, saved by the bell and the OC - it becomes pretty obvious what producers of these shows are thinking. Take a set of issues provided by someone high up in the network, add some attractive 20-something actors who pretend to be teenagers and come up with a thin way to link the two. Except, this show is the best written teen drama I've ever seen. It's a laugh a minute, it doesn't try to ride the charisma or the attractiveness of the actors/actresses, it has genuinely funny short-term plots and climaxes to long-term plots. Not having American TV, I have to watch this type of teen show specifically from buying the DVD and this one is really engaging show-to-show, not jus a weekly dose to shut up fans. The slightly over-played basketball references about 'the game' are a bit tedious and so's the obscene over-emphasis on Dan Scott being an ass but this type of scene is usually followed by a funny pick-me-up scene. Definitely worth a watch.

Awesome Show.

Author: cutechicka from Malaysia
20 June 2005

I'm not exactly sure HOW I got around to watching this show, but whatever it was, I'm thankful for it. One Tree Hill really sucks you into the story, it's emotional, creative, and the soundtrack is UNBELIEVABLY GOOD. While it can be compared to The OC (and yes, some factors are alike), they have many differences. One Tree Hill deals with "realer" issues, such as drugs, alcohol, falling in love. The actors are convincing and they let you peek into the lives of the unknown. Consisting of a talented cast and an amazing storyline, One Tree Hill is definitely a show you just have to watch. You'll be pulled in to the drama, love lives, and humor in the show. Amazing, amazing, show. And hey, it doesn't hurt that James Lafferty and Chad Michael Murray are on it either ;P

Drama series about two brothers and their lives and loves in the fictional town Tree Hill.

Author: MsSmeagol from Uppsala, Sweden
16 April 2006

One Tree Hill came on about the same time as The O.C came on, but the two shows couldn't be more different, and besides the fact that O.C attracts a larger audience, One Tree Hill is the better show. First of all, it has better actors. All the young leads are confident and convincing in their roles, and there is seldom a "false" moment on the show (as compared to The O.C, whose cast includes both the horrible mumblings of Mischa Barton and the horrible wooden acting of Benjamin McKenzie). The cast of One Tree Hill is of course helped immensely by the fact that their characters are so well written; they are people the audience really cares for, and takes an active interest in (as demonstrated on the multiple fan sites and message boards dedicated to the "Naley"-relationship and the "Lucas-Peyton-Brooke"-triangle.

One Tree Hill also has excellent writers, who are not afraid to deal with heavy topics like teen pregnancy, date rape, drug abuse and school shootings. The dialogue has a true ring to it, and the story lines are believable and engaging. It is hard not to get caught up in the lives of the Tree Hill teens.

Lastly, and most importantly, One Tree Hill has heart. A lot of it. Love and friendship are the main themes of the show, and the writers, directors and cast have a way of making themes old as time feel new, fresh and interesting.

Rumour has it that the WB won't renew the show for a fourth season. Hopefully, this is not true. One Tree Hill has so much potential, so much talent, heart and soul, and it would be a true shame if the WB decided not to renew it.

Surprisingly Good!

Author: wannasurf2 from USA
25 February 2004

Normally, I just scoff at shows of this nature, but I happened to watch the pilot episode while working on a project because the TV was already on the WB channel from the previous show. Next thing you know I was wrapped up in this show, which seems to be the best of the genre. For once, this is one that doesn't borrow from 90210 or My So Called Life, yet seems to make its own direction. Sure, it is still has the cliches...28 year old, socially evolved high school students with attractive 32 year old parents, but once you get over this, the show really shines! I hope it has a future, although I doubt it will last very long since the OC is getting all of the buzz simultaneously.

Really enjoyable

Author: adlinas from Malaysia
12 October 2005

What I like about this series is the way common adolescent problems are addressed. Issues on drugs, sex, personality crisis, family relationships are common issues everywhere in the world. The actors do an excellent job in getting the emotions across and they continue to grow in their characters as season one goes into season two. The dramatic serious scenes are interspersed with comic lighthearted scenes once in a while but overall the show is a serious one. This is alright seeing that living a normal life is serious too. I find OC a bit irritating because they look at these issues too lightly.It would also be interesting to see how the producers would deal with other issues such as eating disturbances, depression and delinquency. I've purchased both seasons dvds and have no regrets. Looking forward to season 3.

I'm loving it!

Author: ekki1123 from Belgium
10 May 2006

Look I think that you can see a certain truth in these stories, they're about life and it's problems. No matter who you are or what you do, you always have issues. No one ever thinks about how real those TV-problems are and how many people have to deal with them daily.. It makes you realise how tough life can be but how beautiful at once. Plus, the acting is great, they pull it off to seem very realistic and I think that the role becomes a part of them.. Basically it's about a couple of guy's trying to get and maintain a girl and who want to be the best in what they do.. On the other side it's known that girls are more sensitive and they really try to accentuate that here. No one knows the world and it's people better then producers directors and scriptwriters because that's where they get there inspiration from, from real-life day-to-day things that everybody knows and understands so good. And finally we have found someone who knows an understands us. And even if this character is fictional it's still based on something real and alive..

I also think that Chad Michael Murray is HOT but yeah that's my opinion.. I also loved him in the "Gilmore Girls" and in "House off Wax..

One Tree Hill is one of the best American teen shows since The OC!

Author: RUKIA22 from United Kingdom
11 February 2005

I don't normally watch many American TV shows but I love this show quite a lot. I'm a big fan of One Tree Hill and I think it's a brilliant show. I've been watching OTH over in the UK every Saturday on channel 4's T4 slot. It took a while to grow on me but now I love it. This show deals with all kinds of issues and it has real drama that really appeals to anyone. I really like Brooke she's really really grown on me at first I thought she was really annoying and I didn't like her but now she's great we've got to see a warm and caring side to her it was when Lucas was in hospital after the car crash and we really got to see the real Brooke. She's since found out about Lucas and Peyton seeing each other behind her back and now she's really hurt and feels betrayed by them. She may have her moments when she says stupid things at the wrong time but Brooke is a fun wild and fantastic friend who we all wouldn't mind having around. The entire cast are all brilliant in their roles Craig Sheffer, Moira Kelly, Chad Murray Michael, Sophia Bush, and co are outstanding. One of the best teen American shows I've seen in a while since The OC. I love this show and I'm really pleased to see that OTH is in its second season already and I think that's great. I hope many more keep coming to our screens to keep us fans coming back for more.

Page 1 of 20:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]