IMDb > "Cold Case" (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Cold Case"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Cold Case" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Riveting and touching with great stories and performances

Author: dphelan-1 from Canada
12 September 2005

I starting watching COLD CASE while in a hotel room at a conference. When I returned home I found that my wife had also begin watching the very same episode. So we started making it our regular Sunday viewing. It is in a word - fantastic! The mood, the music, the actors, the back stories and the weird plots draw you in each week. In addition they work in themes that are important but they never beat you over the head with them. So far i have seen stories on the ease of getting guns and how they harm society, child abuse, pedophiles, and racism. But I never feel I am being preached to. The episode about the little boy sold into sexual slavery by his uncle and the tragic way this evil pedophile ruined his and others lives will stay with me forever. It was very heartbreaking. The opening credits and the great music by ES Posthumus ( as well as the songs that set the time, place and mood throughout the episodes) are eerie and evocative and just wonderful. I love this show.

Best Show on T.V.

Author: danikka1 from Salida, CA
24 August 2004

I didn't get into Cold Case until half way through the first season but I LOVE it! It has quickly become my first choice when I turn on the TiVo - surpassing all the Law & Orders and Without a Trace..... I found the use of music to bring you back to whatever era the crime was committed to be terribly effective and the last few minutes of each episode are haunting.

My favorite "effect" ( not sure what to call it ) is when they are talking to a family member or suspect currently but briefly flash to what they looked like at the time of the crime - it helps to keep track of all the characters. Lily Rush's acting is, at times, stiff but improves as the series progresses - almost as if she is getting more comfortable with herself......

The episode "Fly Away" was the best. The first scene is a mother and 7 year old daughter crashing thru a high window and landing on the sidewalk - it was so scary and haunting that I couldn't watch it a second time around and I kept thinking about it for days later. ( I do that often with this show - how many times does that happen watching TV these days? )

In short, I think this series is excellent and will continue to watch avidly :)

Never ceases to amaze me

Author: Danielle from Los Angeles, CA
4 January 2004

"Cold Case" features fictional cases that have been unsolved for years. The stories are touching, even though we know these situations are not real. The show never ceases to amaze me and touch me in ways most television shows cannot. Somehow it seeps under your skin because you know thousands of people in the real world live with the things that go on in the episodes. Kathryn Morris gives a stellar performance each week and always has the audience rooting for her to kick some butt. The editing is unique, as well, and I think the strongest tactic the show uses is how they always wrap up the case and the episode by arresting the person as they are now, but never failing to cut to show what they would look like if they had gotten arrested when they first committed the crime. The victim almost always appears vindicated at the end. This of course works best when they go back to cases some ten or more years earlier. This is a new show, and it has certainly broken out of the mold. It is not just another formulaic crime drama. The fact that each episode is about the individual case and not the saga of the detectives makes it easy to tune it at any time and get heavily involved. CBS has done it again - their demographic is no longer just middle aged middle class individuals. With shows like this they are proving they can reach a wider, savvier audience. Jerry Bruckheimer is back on top to stay,

Canada 7.5, USA 10

Author: skoyles from Calgary AB Canada
20 February 2005

First there was "Cold Squad" set in Vancouver masquerading as.... Vancouver! Now while Vancouver is only barely Canadian it was refreshing to see a Canadian-made show set in Canada rather than New York having Vancouver's Coast Range mountains in the background as in one infamous example in a Jackie Chan movie. (I bet all those people in Brooklyn and Harlem enjoy the snow-capped peaks they can see from Manhatten.) "Cold Squad" was a reasonably good police procedural and worth a look.

Then there was "Cold Case" set in Philadelphia masquerading as Philadelphia - or so I think, never having been to Philly. The star was and is most appealing, the soap opera aspects not too overdone, the use of music unsurpassed, and the writing! Perhaps the best written show now on television, writing not merely skillful as in "Law & Order" and "CSI" but filled with compassion, heart, sympathy and simply that most elusive quality of love.

I admit that several of the episodes have so moved that I have found tears in my eyes by the ending. I know it is emotionally manipulative in use of music, plot and scene but it is quite simply superb. This programme, at best, touch the heart.

P.S. Having seen the first show of the new (2005-06) season I must modify my above opinion. This is not, in my opinion, "perhaps the best written show now on television"; this is probably the best written television programme ever.

best TV show for years

Author: bjobrei
14 August 2005

This is brilliant ! In a time where "best shows"are simply physically exhausting to watch-this is a revelation. Each episode leaves you in deep thought-and you get insight in the feelings of both victim and criminal. And indeed others involved. Some wonderful touches, like "then and now" footage adds to the brilliance. I am still young myself (well, ok...31..) but I dislike the mtv-style of filming in many American series. Cold case gives you an opportunity to think for yourself, unlike an other popular show- where a hero with one facial expression saves the world from the bad guys over and over again. I will not name this show-seems I am the only one hating it:) But-cold case-yes, bravo. More of this please !

Excellent show.

Author: fgunther (fschaer@nyc.rr.com) from Brooklyn, NY
14 December 2003

Low-key, well written and very well acted.

Kathryn Morris is a find, and the supporting cast is way above average.

Anyone who really likes CSI and Without a Trace will enjoy this gem.

Give these cold ones a warm welcome!

Author: Stibbert from Norway
8 September 2005

I'm glad I got the opportunity to catch this show. It's no doubt one of the really good shows on TV these days. Cold Case follows homicide detective Lilly Rush of the Philadelphia police as she digs up the "cold cases". Old unsolved crimes.

This is a very well written show. The episodes always has their twist even though the cases, at first sight, might seem pretty much alike. This show captures the individuality of each crime, the persons involved and the surroundings in a very good way. The fact that the crimes have been committed years ago and that everything involved has changed over the time, gives this show something different then every other cop show. It also captures the humanity of both the victims the suspects and the investigators. There are a lot of feeling in it and it often gets rather touching. Some episodes might contain elements from the characters personal life, but this hardly ever a great storyline of it self in single episodes. It just gives the characters a life beyond the job and this is good as it never takes over the episode or is used to cover a bad plot. The show involves several investigators and you get to know them as well. They got lives and personalities too, yet they don't steal the show from Rush, witch in the end is the star of the show.

The cast is great. Kathryn Morris does a great job portraying Rush and the others does a good job as well. The directors does a good job instructing the cast.

The cinematography and lightning of this show is just beautiful. It all looks great. Both scenes from past and present. They have given the show a unique look. A kind of white or blue, cold look. They also manage to capture the unique eras in witch the crime was committed. You know just by looking witch decade we're in. It's the colors, the way they shoot, the quality and the overall look that make this. The art director, production designer, costume etc. deserves credit for this too. Making the sets and such fit the era.

The original music of this show it catching and good. In addition there is a lot of none original music from the year the crimes are committed. This really gives the right feel and easy gives you the idea of witch year we're in. I find the use of non-original music very nice. Including the none original theme song by E.S. Posthumus. It fits like a glove.

Cold Case is a well written, good looking and well made show. Over all I would give this show a 7,5 out of 10 and a warm recommendation.

The best new dramatic series of 2003

Author: 4-Kane from Boston, MA
27 December 2003

A few years ago, I remember hearing stories about actual cold case squads, and how they successfully solved cases that went unsolved for many years. I was so intrigued by such stories that it soon occurred to me that it would be cool if there were a TV series involving characters solving unsolved crimes. To my knowledge, there wasn't one. But that has finally changed, thanks to this clever new show.

In my personal opinion, Cold Case is television's best new drama of 2003. What sets it apart from most other "whodunit" shows is that we see detective solving old crimes, rather than new ones (that, of course, is why they are part of the cold case squad). When characters associated with a given cold case are introduced, we get to see images of how old (or should I say young) they looked when the crime in question took place. When the case is resolved and arrests are made, we see an image of the murder victim (or victims). It's as though the deceased is actually seeing justice about to be done, and realizing that they can finally rest in peace, now that those responsible are about to get a long overdue punishment.

Cold Case may be dealing with fictional cases, but it just goes to show that there's no statute of limitations on murder. If you commit a murder, your punishment (whether in life, in the afterlife, or both) may be postponed, but it can't be prevented.

Since Cold Case is doing very well in the ratings, I am optimistic about its future. Hopefully, the show will go on for at least five or six years. I highly recommend this show.

LOVE THIS SHOW!!

Author: Citygirl19 from Massachusetts
2 December 2003

This is awesome television! My opinion is that the writing & format of this show is FRESH! I love how they reflect the characters & story to the year of the crime. I hope this show stays for a long time. I look forward every week to this show.

More confessions than in a Catholic church...

Author: grandmastersik from Finland
3 July 2007

I hate this programme: not only is the very concept ludicrous, but it tries so hard to be feasible (something that was left out of similar "I confess" ending programmes like, Muder: She Wrote).

Sigh. Why is it that the writers can't ever be intelligent enough in this programme to come up with evidence that would stick and win a decision in court?

Come on: after X-amount of years of the cases being unsolved, why must EVERY SUSPECT, EVERY EPISODE *CONFESS* (damn it!) to a murder which would otherwise go unsolved?

I bet all police wish that criminals were this good sportsmen: "Aw, shucks, officer, you're a bright one - I guess if you've uncovered enough to convince yourself I did it, I may as well admit to it and make it easier for you in court. What can I say? It's a fair cop."

Absolute dog s**t and an insult to those of us with with enough brains to even have heard of I.Q.

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]