IMDb > D.E.B.S. (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

D.E.B.S. More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

no Hollywood copycatting but a brilliant parody!

Author: mousseauchocolat from Berlin, Germany
21 July 2004

Well, M.A. Martinez is certainly entitled to his opinion, but I think a different point of view should also be represented on this page:

The way I see it, D.E.B.S. is not a re-hash of Charlie's Angels, nor is it trying to be an action movie. It is - more than anything - a parody of Charlie's Angels and it uses ironic exaggerations to point out the weaknesses in the original. Thus the skimpy schoolgirl skirts. They are definitely not meant "to win over male audiences", as male audiences aren't really the target audience for this movie. Of course the girls in D.E.B.S. are poor role-models. They aren't meant to be role-models - they are parodies of the kind of empty-headed heroines Hollywood usually serves us with. I didn't find the humour forced, but I guess it's a matter of personal taste. What I found remarkable, though, was that this film managed to be far more entertaining than Charlie's Angels, though it was produced with only a fraction of its budget. To sum it up: Very good fun if you like irony and can deal with a bit of silliness on the side!

Sexy babes with a sincere love story

Author: Phluxer from Los Angeles
18 June 2004

I have to admit, I really enjoyed this film. It's a tongue-in-cheek parody of the Charlie's Angels format with good laughs, yet it breaks away from that formula in interesting ways.

First of all, it's pretty racy as far as the revealing uniforms are concerned, so much so it takes you off guard at first.

However, what really shocked me was the well written lesbian love story. At first I reacted in typical guy fashion of: 'Alright! Two chicks going at it', but as you watch the story develop you sense something you don't often see in parody flicks. There's real chemistry here.

I don't know if it was great directing or acting, probably a combination of both, but there were some genuine emotional moments between the two love torn characters -- they were really connecting. It wasn't just a sex thing, but more a real substance, to the point where I found myself rooting for them to finally get together. You'll have to see the movie to find out.

Jimmi Simpson should be mentioned here. I swear I've seen him before, but can't remember where. Point is, his comic timing was flawless and there wasn't a line I didn't laugh on. Maybe I just liked his character… or maybe we're going to see a lot more of him in the future.

All in all, it's a fun flick -- you'll enjoy it.

charlie's angels 2 done right...

Author: crowbot from San Francisco
27 June 2004

If the Wizard of Oz had given Charlie's Angels 2 a heart, some brains and some courage it might have become a film like D.E.B.S.

Set in a secret girl-spy academy, the film is an action comedy romp, made easy on the eye by silly special effects and the uber-short plaid uniforms of the leads. They are the creme de la creme of the academy and must prove their chops by dispatching Lucy Diamond, the new supervillain on the block. Lucy has problems of her own, however, as being a criminal mastermind can really interfere with your love life. When she falls for one of the D.E.B.S., the sparks, and the bullets, start to fly.

D.E.B.S. has the same exuberance as the Austin Powers films without the gross-out humor and the characters neatly blend action genre and teen-movie stereotypes. However, the introduction of a girl-girl romance slyly subverts rather than rehashes the material in a way that is fresh and consistently funny. The supporting characters are fabulous - every line deadpanned by the gauloise-puffing sexoholic Dominique is a gem, and Jimmi Simpson's evil-henchman/romantic confidant steals most of the scenes he appears in.

Do yourself a favor and check it out...

Fun and involving; definitely worth seeing

Author: VioletNurikoYume from Chicago, IL
5 November 2004

Having just seen "D.E.B.S." at the Chicago Lesbian and Gay Film Festival, I'll tell you that it's been a long time since I've had so much fun at a movie. Aside from a few moments of heavy-handed drama, this is a fast-paced, wholly entertaining film that I never got bored with once--which, given my miniscule attention span, is most certainly saying something. Oscar material this movie ain't, but if you're looking for a funny, creative satire with interesting characters and a sweet, tastefully executed lesbian love story, this is the film to see. The acting is flawless through the majority of the film (these are people who do comedy extremely well, but falter slightly in the face of more dramatic scenes--which, thankfully, there are few), and Jordana Brewster in particular is stunning and subtle in her portrayal of the "criminal mastermind" Lucy Diamond. All in all, this was a film well worth the money paid to see it. I give it two thumbs way up, and I am most definitely going to see it again when it comes out in theaters in 2005.

Put your tongue in your cheek and you'll love this movie

Author: maria-252 from United States
30 June 2005

This movie was a great spoof of spy movies. Not only that, the fact that it features a love story between two women is ground breaking. Not because it was the greatest story ever told, but for just the opposite reason, it was treated in a very casual manner. There are reviews that state this move would be terrible if it weren't two women, or it would be so much better if it wasn't two women. The whole point is it IS two women. Just like "Thelma and Louise" would have been a totally different movie with two men, this one breaks ground by being a cheesy, silly, spy spoof for lesbians. (I also think it's important to state up front that this does involve two women. With a PG - 13 rating I know there will be some parents horrified to have their kids see two women in love. I may not agree with their politics but I agree with their right to disagree.)

Also, anyone who can appreciate a movie on a shoestring (for Hollywood) budget, will really appreciate this very slick effort for 4 million dollars. Good writing, well directed and some good chemistry between the actors. Also, killer soundtrack. I think most 20 to 40 somethings with a sense of humor and a willing suspension of disbelief would enjoy this movie.

Fun Fabulous Furious

Author: junecatpower from california
4 September 2004

I was fortunate enough to see this movie at the Lesbian and Gay Film Festival. The movie is WONDERFUL- sure, it is as substantial as cotton candy, but it is GREAT to see a summer-blockbuster-type action film that spoofs so many

clichés, never takes itself seriously, and treats its lesbian characters with respect. The writer/director Angela Robinson spoke at the screening and indicated that the film will get a theatrical release, but the distributor is having trouble marketing the film because they don't know which market to target- teenagers, gays, etc. In short, if you think this campy action film will appeal to you GO SEE IT in its opening weekend (to be announced) to send a message to the studios that

taking a risk on an unusual, fun film like this was well worth it. Oh, and the music is great too! The soundtrack features 80's classics from New Order, Erasure, and The Cure, as well as contemporary stuff from

Fischerspooner, Goldfrapp etc.

Fun (perhaps not "for the whole family")

Author: Victoria from Australia
10 January 2006

I won't try to justify my liking of this film by making excuses for it. The fact remains is that D.E.B.S., both low-budget and low-key, was far more enjoyable than any major blockbuster or highly acclaimed movie I've seen in a while. Honestly, there are no major aspirations in this film and audiences should discard any major expectations too. Essentially, this is a movie that relies on a concept that has long been drained out of film-making - fun. The story itself, though weak in true substance, is hilarious and satirical. The characters are each interesting and worthy of further elaboration. Inevitably, the lesbian love story will always be the central point of D.E.B.S.'s popularity but somehow, it deserves to be. The romance between the hero and the villain, a concept that's a parody in itself, is especially charming.

So forget all your movie snobbery and just watch the damn movie. It's a beautiful way to spend 90 minutes.

You'll either love it or hate it

Author: elekanahmen-1 from United States
22 June 2005

I found, both from showing this movie to various friends and from reading reviews, that this is the sort of movie that you either get (and if you get it, you love it), or just don't get (in which case, you probably won't like it). The film gets major brownie points from me right out of the starting gate simply for being a lesbian romantic comedy, even if it is wearing spy- spoof clothing. I think I speak for all my fellow teenage lesbians when I say that there really isn't much out there for us in the entertainment world... and a lot of what is out there is edgy or dramatic or horribly tragic and soul-searching. Do they realize that gay and lesbian teenagers, just like everyone else, sometimes just want to kick back and watch some mindless cutesy drivel just like our heterosexual counterparts? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the mainstream, cheesy chick flicks as much as the next person, but I do feel rather under- represented sometimes.

There are a few times the movie misses it's mark a little, but the rest of it makes up for that. Funny, sweet, and just an overall good time.

Author: ewanforbz from Los Angeles, CA United States
18 August 2006

This may be (no, it is) the most fun and repeatedly watchable and enjoyable movie I have ever seen. Jordana Brewster has "Bette Davis eyes" on steroids and the amount of devilishness, comedy, cleverness, sexiness and emotion that she conveys so effortlessly and relentlessly with these brilliant and most deadly of all the formidable weaponry that appears in this She Spies/When Lucy met Amy extravaganza is staggering, and endlessly enjoyable. I'm sorry, but Jordana is a revelation. I know this is a goofy movie, but seriously, she deserves any and all awards possible for her performance. The writing and fashion and dialog, and sheer cheekiness and utter girlness and goofiness of the plot and the sets are simply priceless. In fact there are several absafrigginlutely "Priceless" characters in this move.

Jordana Brewster (Lucy Diamond) Sara Foster (Amy Bradshaw) Janet (Jill Ritchie) Scud (Jimmi Simpson)

Particularly Lucy, Janet and Scud. There is simply not one scene that any of them appear in in which they are not quite simply priceless. Watchable again and again and again and again. When Jordana and Jimmi lip sync Erasure's "A Little Respect" in a montage scene I can literally watch it over and over for hours.

When Lucy and Amy first come into contact they collide in a warehouse chase scene, go down and come up pointing their huge guns at each other, it is one of the smartest, funniest, silliest and sexiest scenes in cinema history. I'm sorry, but it is!! Every look, every facial crinkle, every lip curl, every line and every flash of the eye could not be improved one bit whatsoever, period, end of story.

But perhaps most of the kudos for this kitchy, catty, silly, lezurely masterpiece should go to Angela Robinson who came up the idea when she was in film school, as she explains in the extra footage on the DVD. It is clear that this project is near and dear to her heart and she put so much into it, as it was her first major film, and there are so many tributes to so many other movies that it's hard to count them all. She had to coach Jordana (Lucy Diamond) into acting like a "rock star" in order to get her to appear so convincing in her pursuit of Sara (Amy) and it in the process, she created a monster, for which I will ever be in both of their eternal debts.

It has been said that Jordana channels Demi Moore, but she is so much sexier and funnier and smarter than Demi ever was. The simple little touches and dialog are what make this movie so worthy of my undying madly in-love-with-ness.

Here, as Lucy and Amy are having their first fight, Lucy (the goody two shoes) of the pair tries to justify her existence:

"Just because I'm not some bad ass master criminal doesn't mean what I do isn't important" There is line after line which will make you chuckle until you can't chuckle anymore....

And when Lucy Diamond wants to turn the continent of Australia to burnt toast with a Dr. Evil style supermegadestructo gun, after she can't have her way with Amy, well, again watchable a hundred or a thousand times over.

But through and on top of it all, is a very clever, touching and believable love story in the midst of all the goofiness, between two incredibly hot women, but the hotness is not in sex scenes, which were deleted to get a PG rating, but in their expressions, conversations, kisses but mostly, in the way their lips and their eyes are used when they are not kissing, but when simply engaged in conversation.

I stumbled across this movie on accident on YouTube. And YouTube is the reason I went out and bought the DVD the very next day. I simply had to have this movie in full length and full quality. Go YouTube!! Keep infringing copyrights, Go independent thinkers, writers and fun loving producers and studios for making movies like this come true!!

THANK YOU ANGELA ROBINSON!!! You are a rock star!!

Anyone who does not like this movie is probably a Republican. Or dead.

A superb spoof of action flicks, grrrl style!

Author: emma-167 from Australia
21 June 2005

Written, directed and edited by Angela Robinson, this film obviously has roots in a comic strip - highly stylised and (no doubt) extensively story-boarded (First it was a comic, then a short).

It's an exhilarating ride from the moment it takes off, playing on the action genre and taking the time to laugh at itself.

This is a queer film with modernised Disney-like values and is likely to be recognised as one of the first cross-over-to-mainstream queer films.

A fun movie with a wonderful cast, witty dialogue and a ripper soundtrack. Definitely the best queer-themed action spoof around. A must watch (and re-watch)!

Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]