IMDb > After the Sunset (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
After the Sunset

After the Sunset More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 15: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

good film

Author: dmagickingdom from orlando, florida
13 November 2004

This film was good despite some people's harsh negative views of it. I enjoyed the movie and judging the audience (packed full at AMC in Downtown Disney), they enjoyed it as well. I was satisfied with the film and will buy it on DVD when it is released. This was no summer blockbuster such as ID4 or Spiderman but it was a film that does deserve respect. does have some of the clever one-liners that make Pierce Brosnan glow on screen.

Slow, predictable, impossible feats

Author: bestcriteria from Missouri
13 November 2004

After reading several positive comments, my wife and I went to see it. I had to fight going off to sleep, and the only thing that kept me awake was to perhaps catch another glimpse of Salma (and when I say glimpse, I mean 1/2-second) as she was the only worthwhile part of the movie. My wife, who normally likes pierce, said that he looked terrible.

No suspense, impossible feats, (radio control of the full-size car, incredible swim to do the heist, and more) and very slooooow all the way through. The movie didn't know whether to be a suspense caper, a comedy, a romantic drama, so it ended being none.

Too bad, because it could have been better. Yes, there were about 3 seconds (total) of scantily clad Salma.

Nothing Spectacular

Author: wizard-man from Raleigh, NC
13 November 2004

After the Sunset is a guy movie. What more can I say. The basic story line revolves around a master thief (Brosnian) and his girlfriend (Hayek) who are trying to retire from their profession, and an FBI agent (Harrelson) who is trying to get his revenge for being humiliated so many times by Brosnian's artful heists. Set in exotic Nassau, the movie has gorgeous settings, women, and very good costume design -though somewhat reminiscent of a J. CREW summer catalogue. Pierce Brosnian's suave character is like a twin brother of Thomas Crown stealing diamonds instead of artwork. Salma Hayek is so very seductive. Woody Harrelson is just a comical persona. In the end, there is nothing spectacular about the whole thing. Some of the scenes feel too impromptu (if not awkward) and the humor is predictable. I think it is a fun movie to see but it is all too forgettable. 5/10

After the sunset....comes all the action.

Author: Scorching from Muntinlupa, Philippines
12 November 2004

In this movie we see the former as a jewel thief who is seemingly at the end of his career after a large heist. Moving to a paradise island it seems like he will be spending the rest of his days watching sunsets and drinking cold cocktails. But an FBI agent Stan Lloyd thinks this is his next great heist. Is it just his imagination or is a big heist in the works.

Brett Ratner was made famous when he placed two completely different people and teamed them up. The product was the Rush Hour movies which will soon incarnate its third part by next year. Well he once again tries the same formula with Pierce Brosnan and Woody Harrelson. Well I thought they did have some chemistry which produced some great moments but they did not eclipse the duo of Tucker-Chan in the RH movies.

The plot line was nothing intricate but I guess you don't really need one as after all this is more of a comedy not some large scale epic. There were a lot parts that I guess you could predict and some you feel could have been left out. Then again this movie would be completely different feel it was left out. The ending was a little disappointing. It kinda ended on a lower not than expected.

One of the things that I didn't like was all the skin shown especially from Selma Hayek. Fine I guess the movie does need to attract some of the male audience but I felt it was done way too much. So much so that some scenes really felt out of place.

The humor was OK. Some of which you really cannot help but laugh at. But some were just tasteless and ridiculous

Overall the movie had its funny moments. Perhaps the performances were not as strong as you would expect but I think it was sufficient enough.

Letterman is right - Salma Hayek should be in every movie

Author: FFT5305 from Glen Burnie, MD
12 November 2004

I saw After the Sunset during a sneak preview last night. It is a fairly typical heist movie. As with most decent heist flicks, the fun is in seeing how they thieves manage what you already know they are going to do. In this movie, the waiting is made much more bearable by the presence of Salma Hayek. Without her, maybe the movie makes a "5." Regardless, it's still a decent way to pass a couple of hours. Pierce Brosnan does basically a retread of his character in The Thomas Crown Affair remake -- but with a few days' stubble on his face. Although Salma Hayek's primary function in this movie is to look beautiful (which she does wonderfully), she actually manages to take the female sidekick role and make her a strong woman who stands up for herself and what she believes. Woody Harrelson is adequate as the FBI agent repeatedly made a fool by Pierce. And Naomie Harris, from 28 Days Later, is almost unrecognizable with long hair and islands accent. She does fairly well with a mostly thankless role. All in all, worth a few bucks for a diversion.

Overall good

Author: Betta_have_my_donutz from Seattle, Washington
10 November 2004

I dunno...I've seen better crook movies. Ocean's Eleven, The Italian Job, etc. It was pretty good, though not much time spent on the actual robbery itself. Funny in some places but a little too much obsession on whether Max and Stan were gay with each other. It was kind of a surprise ending. I won't give it away. It was also very typical - the guy gets the girl in the end. While the sex scenes weren't bad, they took away from the plot and I think they were being used as a time-filler, for the movie would be about a half-an-hour shorter without them. I give it a 6.5 out of 10.

- redsoxfan325

Author: Boredcrzy7 from NY
9 November 2004

Throughout the movie all I could think was "how predictable", but still enjoyed the, sometimes laugh out loud, humor and, of course, the beautiful body of Salma Hayek. The story was very weak in places, it seemed the writer had added certain unbelievable parts just to tie off the loose ends. It was as if they had cut and pasted from many different movies! The beginning was very much like a Bond movie. Plus, in Bad Boys II Will Smith and Martin Lawrence have the same misunderstanding to try to explain as in this movie. In addition, the playful banter between Woody Harrelson and Pierce Brosnan completely reminded me of the relationship between Mel Gibson and Danny Glover in Lethal Weapon. Another scene was also very similar to one in Mission impossible... I won't tease you further! However, I was impressed by the unpredictable twist at the end. I found myself walking out of the theater going "wow, I really didn't think that character was capable of that." It's a fun movie to watch, but doesn't have a lot of substance.

a solid six out of ten

Author: occam-1 from Canada
8 November 2004

just saw the preview tonight and guess what? it wasn't that bad. first and foremost...Salma Hayek...oh my gawd..what spectacular eye candy. she is an okay actress but what assets. the movie itself is nothing really new. think of a dash of Thomas Crown here, a pinch of the Big Bounce there and a little Ocean's Eleven and you have a good idea what you're in for. the banter between Pierce Brosnan and Woody Harrelson is very funny and there were a few laugh out loud scenes. that really helped. otherwise it wouldn't have much else going for it..oh, i forgot, Salma Hayek....yowza! the movie is entertaining though and the tropical locale looks great. Don Cheadle isn't really given much to do and the story is somewhat lacking. however, if you leave your expectations at home you will have a good time.

After the movie, you will be disappointed.

Author: fishaqua from Georgia, USA
7 November 2004

Saw the movie during a sneak preview and what you see in the trailer is about all you get. The movie makes for a great trailer, but not a 100 minute movie. The idea of the movie is entertaining but the direction was very lacking. I think the director could not decide if he wanted a suspense, drama or comedy. Ended up with none of them. The script and acting seemed rushed and not fleshed out. The story just did not keep you really interested, very predictable too. It tried to be a heist movie, a romantic drama and a suspense movie. But as it tried for all it fell short of the heist part. The first 10 minutes and last 10 minutes are about a robbery. The middle is about the people you end up not really knowing anything about. The best part of the movie however is the location, the movie is beautiful as is the background. To sum, slightly entertaining but overall disappointing.

Like a sunset, quite predictable but still nice to watch

Author: paulcf8273 from Calgary, Alberta, Canada
7 November 2004

Saw "After the Sunset" at a sneak preview last nite. Pierce Brosnan with little shaving to look 'manly' but didn't help his role much.

Quite predictable, you just know what is going to happen and when. Sexy parts spice it up with Salma and the Barbados location is nice but doesn't save what has already done in better form with Rene Russo in Thomas Crown Affair. Some funny parts with Woody but they become too unrealistic after a while. There will be lots of goofs registered on this one, including night scuba diving that is not dark underwater! Watch it if you want to see parts of many other movies and get a free pass or wait to rent it on DVD, 7/10.

Page 10 of 15: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]