IMDb > After the Sunset (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
After the Sunset

After the Sunset More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 15: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

FBI Always Gets His Man (in more ways than one)

Author: marcus_stokes2000 from Italy
2 September 2006

*After The SPOILERS* Jewel thieves Max Burdell (Pierce Brosnan) and his girlfriend Lola Cirillo (Salma Hayek) seem to retire to the Bahamas after their last theft, but FBI Agent Stan Lloyd (Woody Harrelson), who has become the laughingstock of the FBI after having been robbed of one of the three precious Napoleon diamonds, believes otherwise and arrives there, where he gets the best suite in the local hotel - paid by Max, a fact that does not get lost on the man.

He is joined in the investigation by a local cop, Sophie (Naomie Harris), and they believe Max and Lola's objective is the last of the three Napoleon diamonds (they have already stolen the first two), which is going to arrive on a cruise ship.

In the meanwhile, the bombastic gangsta Henri Moorè, with that little thing over the e, (Don Cheadle) wants Max to get that diamond for him...

What will Max do? And why is Stan actually there? Remember the word 'Remora'...

This is a very enjoyable, very amusing heist movie in the vein of 'Ocean's 11', with repeated plot twists which are both funny and surprising, slick style and interesting characters, with a great male friendship (bordering on gay love, as can be seen in a scene where Max and Stan end up in bed together); the only problem I have is with the ending:

ENDING SPOILER

I really didn't like Max having the upper hand once again; I thought that Stan managing to outwit Max was the perfect ending. Can you guess that Stan was my favourite character?

END ENDING SPOILER

Other than that, I really recommend this to fans of heist movies, buddy movies, comedy movies and good movies.

And yeah, it's Brett Ratner directing.

After The Sunset: 9/10.

Light and entertaining

Author: Claus Holm from Denmark
25 December 2005

Nice little flick with good humour. Brosnan is pretty good as the somewhat bored thief. He nails the laid back thief, who just can't stop very nicely. The opening of the movie is also a nice piece of entertainment. Hayek is simply irresistible, and the director seems to manage, to show her from every angle (thanks buddy). But it's Woody that steals the movie. He's perfect cast as the half goofy half crazy FBI agent. He's got some great one liners. The shark scene is hilarious. Actually rather amusing little piece of film. Would have given it 7½, but because its somewhat predictable it gets a 7. If you have a couple of spare hours go rent it.

good not great

Author: t-excel from Netherlands
13 November 2005

Who can look at a movie with Selma Hayek and not enjoy the view. Aspecialy with all the skin she is showing in this movie. bikini, sexy panties, even a little bit of topless. She was lying on top of Pierce, so nothing was shown, but still, a little bit of side boob from Selma is a lot better then most woman here in Amsterdam. The story is awesome, the cast is great, and woody....you where awesome. Why don't we see more of this man. Pierce, what can we say about him. this roles are meant for this man. I know everybody loves him as 007, but in performance like this, he goes from great to immense. The reason that i could not grade it higher is because i had the feeling i saw it all before.

Fun summer flick!

Author: rattler201 from United States
16 September 2005

This may not be the greatest movie ever filmed, but it is a nice refresher from today's unfunny comedies and dark dramas. It combines action and suspense, along with wonderful comedy to create a great film to watch on a nice summer day. Perfect to get you in the mood for a day at the beach, or to go steal a diamond.

All of the stars give wonderful performances, especially Pierce. Always in great style, he has many wonderful one liners, and tons of quick comedic moments, while still pulling off the action star role. Selma is in fabulous form, looking as beautiful as ever, and Woody, well, Woody is Woody. He and Pierce play well off each other creating a great film to watch over and over.

No it's nothing spetacular, it doesn't break new ground, it's not even a new idea, but it just hits me the right way. Great film, and I give it 10 stars.

Just what you expected

Author: sanjaysakhrani from Hong Kong
8 June 2005

I finally saw this film on DVD last night. It was more or less what I expected. Those who saw Thomas Crown Affair would probably think that it was on par with that - a decent plot, average acting, a small twist at the end, but not a bad film at the end of the day. I suppose what kept me watching was, of course, Salma Hayek. Man did she heat up the screen! Although I am a big fan of hers (who isn't), I feel that her semi-nude scenes were unnecessary. Perhaps since she is getting old it is expected that more sex and less talk sells. I would have watched her even if there were no nude scenes - she is just that good to look at. Apart from that, i thought PB looked too damn old. Jeez, he looked fine in TCA, but what the hell happened? Woody's role was probably the best of the lot, esp. in the SUV at the beginning. Not a bad flick overall.

Nice cute little escapism movie

Author: didcrywolf from Montreal Canada
14 May 2005

WEll casted, Harrelson and Hayek do a good job of supporting Brosnan in a well filmed bit of escapism. It felt like you were on holiday with all 3 people! Good product placement for the Atlantis resort and I do wonder if there is such a suite there. I must have a bad case of hitting Middle age because I never got surprised as there was very little suspense or imaginative turns in the sub-par plot. WHat works in this movie is the situation comedy where Harrelson plays the same endearing "Woody" character with just enough smarts to trail the burglar duo. I could have done without the heavy accented sterotyping of the minor island police characters. Anyway I'm a sucker for tall drinks, cleavage and palm trees. I got all three so all in all a good rental!

A Fun Filled Capper Adventure and a good "twist"

Author: Devin (d_e_v_i_n-1)
2 April 2005

Two master thieves (Brosnan and Hayek) are finally retiring after one last successful mission. Residing in their own tropical paradise, their old nemesis, FBI Agent Stan P. Lloyd shows up to make sure they really are retired. Docked in the port is a ocean liner called the "Diamond Cruise" and Stan is convinced that they're not really retired at all, and that this is the next set up. While Lola(Hayek) is busy settling into their new life and trying to find ways to keep busy, Max(Brosnan) is contemplating whether or not to steal the diamond. Now the question is, will he? Will Stan finally catch him after eight years of chasing him? Will Lola help Max steal it? And what of that shady character that has told Max he must steal the diamond for him?

This is a fun filled comedy adventure and a good "twist". But nothing really special, just shut off your brain for a 90 minutes and enjoy.

Brosnan gets older

Author: hakapes from Budapest, Hungary
2 February 2005

I really like the James Bond movies from Pierce Brosnan (Max), and expected something of the same style - a luxury style superhero who gets what he wants without limits. He did that, even we got or usual watch commercial, just instead of Omega, now he wore an Oris; but he's getting too old for this job of jumping-running-combat style action. Salma Hayek (Lola) didn't perform anything of top-level, she was just the average good looking amazon that we can follow in various swim suits and transparent T-shirts.

The diamond robbery part was way under my expectations, it took only a 5 minute take-and-run in the story, nothing sophisticated like in the Italian Job or Ocean's Eleven, which I wanted to enjoy in this film. The movie was rather an unpolished story of a thief-couple, just I couldn't decide whether the director wanted originally to expose the romance/drama between Max and Lola, or to make a light Sunday afternoon action movie. What he made was somewhere in-between, a low-level for each version.

Otherwise, there were some funny moments in the movie, with Brosnan and Harrelson (an FBI agent tracking Max) together on the screen, which was a nice surprise for me - then I can say the movie was worth the watch. So, this is a typical go-see-and-forget type of movie, but not so bad for that - 7/10.

Better than expected

Author: cobbler88 from United States
2 December 2004

I didn't have much in the way of expectations for "After the Sunset." In fact, probably the only reason I saw it was because I snuck in after seeing "National Treasure." The previews on the latter didn't start until 30 minutes late, so I figured the theatre owed me.

Anyway, with Pierce Brosnan, Woody Harrelson, and Salma Hayek, I didn't figure the chances were very good that this movie would be anything but a groaner, but I was surprised.

I think the best thing is that it doesn't get too technical with how a person would go about stealing a diamond, too heavy with the love stories, or too corny with the buddy-flick elements. Instead, it has a nice balance of them which will likely disappoint anyone looking for a great deal of any of the elements, but which I appreciated.

Brosnan is Brosnan, but is allowed to be a more aged version than what we're used to seeing, with a constant 3- to 4-days' silvery growth on his face, and about 10 to 15 extra pounds on the belly. I still don't find Harrelson particularly compelling to watch, but Hayek is scantily clad pretty much the entire film, and she does have an incredible body on her.

Ultimately, no stand-out performances, action sequences or dialogue, but a nice little film that's probably worth matinée price.

I thought it was great.....

Author: unajess03 from Alabama
19 November 2004

Personally, I loved this movie! I went to the theater not expecting much and I came out loving everything about this film. It is a slightly suspenseful drama, with a few funny one-liners to make you laugh. The background of the island is breathtaking and it made me want to go to Paradise Island desperately. Salma Hayek is beautiful, and while she and Pierce Brosnan may not make the most believable couple, they do have a certain chemistry throughout the movie. I disagree with people on here who claim this to be a "guy's" movie. I am a female and I enjoyed this film very much. I think everyone needs to lighten up and enjoy a good film when they see one. I will recommend it to anyone who asks me.