IMDb > After the Sunset (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
After the Sunset

After the Sunset More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 15: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Goey Rating: GHM (Great Heist Movie)

Author: goey312 from Midwest, United States
29 June 2005

If you like the James Bond movies do not get confused and think that this is one of them. However it is a lot like the Bond movies just from the view of the bad guy whose really not that bad. I really enjoyed this movie of 2 jewel thieves who are trying to retire and yet can't seem to. for those of you who like the Heist movies this one tops the list, with the obvious twists and turns and just plain ridiculous moments who would ever believe that the Thief and the FBI Agent would become friends? Only this movie would ever be able to pull that off. One of my favorite parts was that every time the FBI Agent and the Thief would be talking they were always double crossing each other, and then other people kept thinking they were a couple. It was great to watch the interactions of these characters.

Very Good Must See

Author: Christine from United States
26 June 2005

I just got done seeing the movie "After the Sunset" yesterday, and I have to say that it was a whole lot better than what I expected it to be, and I would love to see it again in a heart beat. The plot was so well-thought out and the scenery is amazing! I love that Pierce Brosnan and Salma Hayek (sp) were in it. I don't think any other actor would have been able to do it better. And I thought that the ending was great, not some corny ending that I have been seeing with some movies lately. You should just go see the movie to know what I'm talking about.

I give this movie: 8 out of 10

Pushes all the right buttons

Author: davideo-2 from United Kingdom
29 May 2005

STAR RATING: ***** Unmissable **** Very Good *** Okay ** You Could Go Out For A Meal Instead * Avoid At All Costs

Max Burdett (Pierce Brosnan) is an expert jewel thief being pursued by bungling FBI Agent Lloyd (Woody Harrelson). Having made him look stupid for one last time, he pursues Max to the Jamaican island he's retreating at with his girlfriend and partner in crime Lola (Salma Hayek) to try and tempt him to steal the only diamond he hasn't successfully thwarted from a cruise liner near his seaside resort. Lloyd is trying to use him as bait to successfully nab his suspect and to make amends and get reinstated to the FBI- but they are both capable of out-smarting each other and it all becomes a desperate game to see which one of them can come out on top. But matters are complicated even more when local crime kingpin Henri Moore (Don Cheadle) proposes his own plan to steal the diamond to Max.

Brosnan's done this kind of thing already with The Thomas Crown Affair, so he obviously has a liking for this kind of thing. And he's pretty good at it too, playing the role with an engaging charm and charisma that moves the lead role along very well. In the supporting roles, Hayek has a genuine sex appeal and looks very nice when stripping down to her bare essentials, but she gives a pretty good performance too. Harrelson is okay, if slightly too manic and hard-on, whilst Cheadle makes for a neat villain. Trendy new director Brett Ratner (he of Red Dragon and Rush Hour fame) is fairly slick here, even if some scenes do feel a little tacked on and it looks like the end is approaching a little sooner than it really is (although the movie is impressively short at just over an hour and a half.) Also to it's credit is some lovely scenery at the Jamaican resort, plus a good, well-written story-line and some genuinely funny moments. Not the greatest film ever, but certainly good enough to take up a short while of your time. ***

Fun Flick with Some Good Acting

Author: mOVIemAN56
26 April 2005

Max Burdett (Pierce Brosnan) and Lola Cirillo (Selma Hayek) are the greatest jewel thieves in the world. But they finally have retired to the Bahama's to live a life of luxury. After a few months FBI agent Stanley Loyd (Woody Harrelson) washes ashore to make sure they're keeping up on their promises.

Loyd informs Max that a rare diamond never stolen by the couple, the 3rd Napoleon Diamond, from a cruise ship featuring it. Max is torn between stealing it or just stay back with his life. After being hired by local gangster/politician Henri Moore (Don Cheadle) he decides to do it. Now it is a question of will Lola help him, will Loyd catch him after 8 years, or will Max get it.

The story is creative and fun. Brosnan is charming and skilled at his art. Hayek is sexy and funny as Brosnan's girlfriend/partner in crime. Harrelson gives a little more of a serious role as the FBI agent but does bring a few laughs. The ending is a bit of a surprise and the movie in all is a review of morals.

After the Sunset: Starring: Pierce Brosnan, Selma Hayek, Don Cheadle, Woody Harrelson, and Naomie Harris.

3 1/2 out of 5 Stars

Stupid, but amusing

Author: baba44713 from Croatia
14 March 2005

Ah, those jewel thieves. What fun scoundrels they are. Always charming and distinguished, never stealing stuff the boring way. The only problem is, when they decide to call it quits there would always be the ONE LAST BIG JOB and they would just have to take it. And those big jobs always prove to be a major pain in the butt. Not to mention that the thieves should always prepare a flashback-supported twist cause if they don't have one in store, some other character will probably put one on them.

Pierce Brosnan and Selma Hayek in After Sunset are two fine examples of jewel-thief subculture. The problem is (as with the movie in general) that their clever heist schemes are basically doomed in every possible world except in fantasy dreamland where these two are obviously living in. In the beginning they try to steal a diamond from FBI agent Woody Harrelson. However, their plan relies on so many wild assumptions and impossibilities that it, of course, bombs. Hmmm, wait.. it doesn't. It actually works perfectly. Oh, well. I guess this movie IS set in fantasy dreamland. It just needs more palm trees and exotic beaches. Oh, here they are!

OK, sarcasm aside, this movie's plot with all it's dubious twists and turns is stupid. No doubt about it. The other side is that it's set on an exotic island, it has his shares of funny and amusing (if convoluted) situations and you'll probably have fun watching it. Just keep in mind that you shouldn't think too much about the believability of the plot. OK, scratch "too much" from the last sentence. Just relax, turn off your brain and enjoy the show.

Not good, not bad either.

Author: MrMovieMan3485 (salmahayeklover@hotmail.com) from California
27 November 2004

This movie doesn't really have a great story. I love Salma Hayek by the way, if you can't notice. However, Salma who plays the "girl" (yet again) for Pierce Brosman,kiss way too much in this movie. It as if they kiss every 5 minutes in the movie. It was a little to much I think. Also, this movie lacks a good storyline, there's no real plot besides "get the Napoloen Diamond." Brosman's career looks rather dim if he continues to make wannabe James Bonds movies. Salma Hayek was great on her part however. She's the only reason to see this fill. Woody Harrelson's character lacks a real solid foundation on his actions and Don Cheadle is not in this film very much and is not worth much as you will see towards the end of the film. Salma saves this movie from being bad. I can't say that this movie is horrible but I can't say its great either. If you're looking for a movie just for one-time laughs and action,and you're not really looking for a movie to watch over and over again, then this is the film for you.

Rating: 5 out of 10.

Style over Substance for Brosnan

Author: ZaWolven from Wrexham, Wales
24 November 2004

This flashy heist movie certainly takes advantage of it's assets. The Caribbean locations look superb and Salma Hayek takes over the screen in every scene. It's just a shame that it lacks substance.

As far as the plot goes, anyone who has seen Brosnan in The Thomas Crown Affair may get more than a small feeling of deja vu here, with Brosnan playing virtually the same character, with his specialty shifted from art to diamonds. Woody Harrelson plays the FBI agent obsessed with catching Brosnan's character and Salma Hayek providing eye candy as Brosnan's lover and partner in crime. What follows is a fairly predictable caper movie.

None of the actors are displaying their best performances here, with Brosnan simply going through the motions he learned from Bond and Hayek reduced to doing little more than appearing in a series of increasingly skimpy bikinis. Neither actors nor director seem to be treating the film as anything more than a paid holiday in the Caribbean.

These criticisms aside though, After The Sunset is still a fairly enjoyable way to spend a couple of hours. You'll forget the contrived plot as you get engrossed in the stylistic, shallow world of the Caribbean and, though you may not want to see it again and again and it certainly won't win any awards, its perfect popcorn fare.

Salma Hayek = Eye Candy

Author: caspian1978 from Boston, MA
18 November 2004

After the Sunset is a cute comedy that does nothing for "women's lib." In fact, it degrades women. Even though I will agree with everybody else that Salma Hayek is one of the hottest Mexican women on the face of the planet, her character in this movie is nothing more than breasts and a butt. Ever scene, she is showcased in hardly and clothes as she displays herself as a piece of meat. Her character does not progress at all. She remains a trophy wife as she is last seen in a bikini sun-bathing. While her character could have turned the tables on the jewel robbers, she ends up being nothing more than a possession, like the ring around her finger. Attempting to leave, she ends up giving in to her need of a man and her weakness of "jewelry." Yes, Salma Hayek is a knockout in this movie, but to go from a serious actor to being nothing more than eye candy is a giant step backwards in her career. Then again, she might as well shake it while she has it.

Not bad

Author: choladay-1
17 November 2004

I've seen better movies but I've certainly seen a lot worse. I didn't go to this movie expecting Academy Award performances, I was just hoping for an hour and a half of entertainment and that's what I got. This movie kept my attention, the story was pretty good and the acting decent. Salma Hayek looked great (as usual) and Pierce Brosnan was his usual suave self. Woody Harrelson gave probably the best acting performance and was very funny. I also liked the Don Cheadle character. He was so bizarre he was entertaining. I saw one review that said the director over emphasized Salma Hayek's bikini wearing and that Pierce Brosnan always looked like he needed to shave. That is true but hey, they were supposed to be enjoying retired life at the beach. Overall I think After the Sunset did a good job of mixing action, comedy and high-tech gadgetry. I would give it a 7.5 on a scale of 1-10.

Very fun comedy!!

Author: Argemaluco from Argentina
28 November 2006

After the sunset is one of those movies that you enjoy and laugh while you are watching it,but after you see it,you forget it.Pierce Brosnan and Woody Harrelson have a good chemical for comedy and they made me laugh a lot.The only thing Salma Hayek does is appearing in bikini.Brett Ratner is having a good career doing movies like this one.The film has very good funny moments(for example,the ship scene:I could not stop laughing on that moment).After the sunset is not great movie but it kept me fun and it made me laugh.I recommend it if you wanna have a good time.

Rating:7