IMDb > After the Sunset (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 11 of 15: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Easily forgotten

Author: Mattias Petersson from Stockholm, Sweden
28 April 2005

It seems heist-movies about sophisticated super-thieves are thirteen in a dozen these days. That considered the thought of seeing Pierce "James Bond" Brosnan in yet another variation of this theme didn't feel too exciting.

Director Brett Ratner did a quite amazing job on "Red Dragon" in my opinion. Stepping from "Rush Hour" into the serial-killer genre so competently is certainly an achievement. Here though he's not as successful. There are a few reasons why this movie fails to excite me.

First of all the script is not great. Max Burdett (Pierce Brosnan) is the one-time super-thief who has now retired to the Caribbean with his wife (Salma Hayek). The FBI-agent Stan Lloyd (Woody Harrelson) is not convinced Max has actually retired though and keeps an eye on him. A cruise ship comes to the Caribbean island where Max is living, a ship containing a precious diamond.

What felt like the problem to me here is that there is just not much excitement here. Environments and settings seem chosen more because they are beautiful than for their potential in the movie. Brosnan walks around just like in the Bond-movies, smiling like he's in a tooth-paste commercial. Woody Harrelson feels like he's always acting in a comedy. Most surprising perhaps is Salma Hayek who seems to be back in the same place her career started, walking around like a beautiful distraction. Her biggest contribution to the film is her enormous wardrobe and equally enormous cleavages.

The movie is somewhat entertaining. There are some rather funny parts where it's more comedy than anything else. These parts actually works best. The heist-parts of the movie are not very well done or very exciting on the other hand. And when the movie stops, i can't help but feel "was that it?". This is a movie easily forgotten. I rate it 5/10.

Brosnan gets older

Author: hakapes from Budapest, Hungary
2 February 2005

I really like the James Bond movies from Pierce Brosnan (Max), and expected something of the same style - a luxury style superhero who gets what he wants without limits. He did that, even we got or usual watch commercial, just instead of Omega, now he wore an Oris; but he's getting too old for this job of jumping-running-combat style action. Salma Hayek (Lola) didn't perform anything of top-level, she was just the average good looking amazon that we can follow in various swim suits and transparent T-shirts.

The diamond robbery part was way under my expectations, it took only a 5 minute take-and-run in the story, nothing sophisticated like in the Italian Job or Ocean's Eleven, which I wanted to enjoy in this film. The movie was rather an unpolished story of a thief-couple, just I couldn't decide whether the director wanted originally to expose the romance/drama between Max and Lola, or to make a light Sunday afternoon action movie. What he made was somewhere in-between, a low-level for each version.

Otherwise, there were some funny moments in the movie, with Brosnan and Harrelson (an FBI agent tracking Max) together on the screen, which was a nice surprise for me - then I can say the movie was worth the watch. So, this is a typical go-see-and-forget type of movie, but not so bad for that - 7/10.

Better than expected

Author: cobbler88 from United States
2 December 2004

I didn't have much in the way of expectations for "After the Sunset." In fact, probably the only reason I saw it was because I snuck in after seeing "National Treasure." The previews on the latter didn't start until 30 minutes late, so I figured the theatre owed me.

Anyway, with Pierce Brosnan, Woody Harrelson, and Salma Hayek, I didn't figure the chances were very good that this movie would be anything but a groaner, but I was surprised.

I think the best thing is that it doesn't get too technical with how a person would go about stealing a diamond, too heavy with the love stories, or too corny with the buddy-flick elements. Instead, it has a nice balance of them which will likely disappoint anyone looking for a great deal of any of the elements, but which I appreciated.

Brosnan is Brosnan, but is allowed to be a more aged version than what we're used to seeing, with a constant 3- to 4-days' silvery growth on his face, and about 10 to 15 extra pounds on the belly. I still don't find Harrelson particularly compelling to watch, but Hayek is scantily clad pretty much the entire film, and she does have an incredible body on her.

Ultimately, no stand-out performances, action sequences or dialogue, but a nice little film that's probably worth matinée price.

The bottom line

Author: filmbuff-63 (filmbuff@laugheveryday.com) from Green Bay, Wisconsin
28 November 2004

You know, having actually been a film critic for a newspaper and knowing how they think, I've decided to do something different cut through the bullocks. The fact is, other people rehash the film and you can read their reviews.

I'll just tell you whether it was entertaining.

Yes, it was very entertaining. Good cast, great locations, clever plot (that didn't get played out to it's full potential- oops! Sorry...). I enjoyed it in the theatre but will NOT buy the DVD. How much clearer could a review be?

And Dante Spinotti's work was stellar as always. Almost as good as LAST OF THE MOHICANS.

Why did this not go straight to video?

Author: padiyark
24 November 2004

I was forced to see this movie by my wife after she told me that I don't see enough "chick flicks", and thought that this was one. She tried to comfort me by telling me that Salma Hayek was in it, and I could get my jollies by seeing her.

Well, enough gripping, let's get down to it. Without wasting too much time, very predictable, little if any plot, and more than necessary homoerotic jokes. I'm not saying that it was horribly bad, but this is the type of movie that should have gone straight to video. I will say that the story had potential for intellectual thought and could have been darker. However, it reverts to cheap thrills and if it feels that it's not getting laughs at the right times, it goes straight to the homoerotic jokes. Don't get me wrong, I like all types of humor, but too much of one type of humor just doesn't cut it. Yeah, Salma Hayek looks great, but she really doesn't show enough to warrant any thing more than a PG rating, and her role is really wasted in this flick. I expected Woody Harrelson to do better, especially after "Natural Born Killers" and "People vs. Larry Flint". As for Pierce Brosnan, he essentially plays the role as James Bond in the tropics as a thief--as you can see, just another stupid premise. I really tried to check in my brain at the door, but even then, it's a mediocre film that should have never been released on the big screen.

Why did this not go straight to video?

Author: padiyark
24 November 2004

I thought it was great.....

Author: unajess03 from Alabama
19 November 2004

Personally, I loved this movie! I went to the theater not expecting much and I came out loving everything about this film. It is a slightly suspenseful drama, with a few funny one-liners to make you laugh. The background of the island is breathtaking and it made me want to go to Paradise Island desperately. Salma Hayek is beautiful, and while she and Pierce Brosnan may not make the most believable couple, they do have a certain chemistry throughout the movie. I disagree with people on here who claim this to be a "guy's" movie. I am a female and I enjoyed this film very much. I think everyone needs to lighten up and enjoy a good film when they see one. I will recommend it to anyone who asks me.

Frequently entertaining and diverting jewel thief escapist hokum

Author: george.schmidt (gpschmidt67@gmail.com) from fairview, nj
16 November 2004

AFTER THE SUNSET (2004) **1/2 Pierce Brosnan, Salma Hayek, Woody Harrelson, Naomie Harris, Don Cheadle, Troy Garity, Mykelti Williamson, Chris Penn. Frequently entertaining and diverting jewel thief escapist hokum with Brosnan (scruffily eschewing his Bond-age) and Hayek (effortlessly eschewing a bra) as a sexy couple of diamond absconders whose embarrassing of FBI agent Harrelson has the vexed Feeb locate them at their Bahamas retreat where another temptation in the form of a last diamond heist may placate the unlikely threesome.

The leads provide enough sensuality and a sprinkle of just enough winking humor to make the absurdities go down like a frozen margarita on a sun-dappled beach while local cop Harris and Harrelson make a uniquely funny/sexy equally unlikely couple.

(Dir: Brett Ratner)

Enjoy the sights...

Author: SarumanWhite from New York
15 November 2004

Well, what's in this movie except for pretty pictures? Women get a slightly worn, but still handsome Brosnan, and Hayek is showing her less and less dressed body (she's still got it too) from various angles - that's for males. Everybody enjoys sights of a really well filmed tropical paradise. The fact that the name of the island is never pronounced is slightly confusing - after all, that "E! Wild on...", right?

Oh, there is some crime storyline in there! Very perfunctory to be sure, schematic at best. 2 heists are covered in under 20 minutes. The romantic component - both Brosnan and Hayek are professionals, but any chemistry is clearly absent. Why don't they distribute travel packages directly in the lobby?

Disappointing, but boy is Salma hot!

Author: (themoviemark@themoviemark.com)
12 November 2004

After the Sunset? More like AFTER THE CRAP SETS! OK, OK, it isn't *that* bad, but I've been dying to use that line, so I couldn't resist. However, it isn't *that* good either. It's just kind of ... there. What I mean by that is the movie sort of just plods along with no real direction, no gripping story. Rather than a movie, it feels like you're watching a polished home video of Pierce Brosnan and Salma Hayek fooling around in the Bahamas and Woody Harrelson joining in to act like a goofball.

I'll give the cast credit, it looks like they had fun filming the movie because there are some funny scenes, especially between Brosnan and Woody, but a lot of the humor falls flat. And boy is the ending gay. Bring a big yellow bucket with you because you'll need something to puke in when the sappy music hits and Brosnan starts telling Salma how he wants "a life full of sunsets" with her. I'm sure 50-year-old women who are in love with the Irish-accented one will gush over this, but I rolled my eyes so far that one of them detached and came out of the socket.

I was also quite disappointed in the lack of actual thievery. Brosnan's supposed to be the world's greatest jewel thief, but all he really does is squint and walk around with his shirt unbuttoned. The "main" theft scene is so simplistic, that I could give my 9-year-old brother the instructions and he could pull it off. My favorite types of heist films are Entrapment, Ocean's 11, The Italian Job, movies of that nature, and this just doesn't compete. Oh sure, Brosnan throws around a couple of technical terms, but where are the planned details of the theft? Where's the tension involved in breaking past security and through various obstacles? I know where it's not - this movie.

Salma Hayek sure is a pleasure to look at though. Plus, she has a very cute personality. For example, when she returns from a tennis lesson she displays the perfect amount of innocent charm when she says the lesson went well because her instructor said she has the "best backside he has ever seen." Brosnan says it's supposed to be "backhand," but I'm pretty sure the instructor meant what he said.

Just a few more observations:

* Chris Penn has a "blink and you'll miss him" cameo as an annoying basketball fan who is used to create a distraction. I'm pretty sure he puts on 50 pounds in between movies.

* If Brosnan insists on walking around for an entire movie either shirtless or with his shirt unbuttoned, then he really needs to start doing some push-ups and sit-ups. Surely he can create some sort of muscle tone.

* Brosnan could also use a shave. If he wants to go for the scruffy look, then that's fine, but he should at least shave his neck and under his chin. Beard growth really accentuates "old man double chin."

* While he's at it, Brosnan might as well also look into obtaining a less bland personality.

* Brosnan and Salma kiss for approximately 48 minutes of screen time.

* This had to be the easiest job in the world for Brosnan - he's in the Bahamas, Salma Hayek's hangin' all over him, and he gets to tool around in a NICE blue Super Sport Camaro (looked to be a '69, like mine). Yeah, life must be so rough for the guy. JERK!

* Don Cheadle's role is about as thankless as it gets. If you're a fan of his, then don't expect to see too much of him.

If you're a huge fan of Brosnan, then you might enjoy this more than I did. It feels a little like The Big Bounce, except it doesn't have Owen Wilson cracking wise. It does have Salma Hayek though! Have I mentioned that yet? But I'd still rate it slightly under The Big Bounce, so you're welcome to take that however you want.

THE GIST

If you want mild, easily forgettable entertainment with a few laughs but no great story to follow, then After the Sunset is tailor-made for you. I recommend waiting for it on video. Ms. Hayek alone makes it worth at least a rental.

Rating: 2.5 (out of 5)