IMDb > "Jake 2.0" (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Jake 2.0" More at IMDbPro »

Cancelled just as it was getting REALLY good!

Author: Alipeeps from Leeds, UK
7 May 2004

Jake 2.0 was a fab series and I just wish the network had given it more of a chance.

It was an entertaining show with great characterisation, a good mix of light-heartedness and seriousness and some great storylines. It was also nice for once to see a "normal guy" as the lead, as the hero - a guy with insecurities and issues like the rest of us! Chris Gorham was fantastic as Jake, bringing just the right touch of appealing naivete to the role.

I admit there were moments in the first few episodes where Jake's propensity to stumble into disaster was a bit annoying but this was all part of the character's growth - and boy has he (and the show!) grown over the course of the series.

This show suffered from appalling scheduling (up against Angel - a 5 year established show with a huge fan base) and not enough promotion/advertising and sadly was cancelled just as it was really getting into it's stride and showing us what it could do. Recent episodes have allowed Jake's character to develop in leaps and bounds and touched on a lot of the more serious issues to do with Jake's new abilities - and the related intrigue within the NSA. The show was developing it's own mythology and more of a continuing thread of storyline within the stand-alone episodes and was heading into a slightly darker, very interesting direction.

The first of the last four episodes made (not yet seen in the US) aired in the UK this week and was worthy of The X-Files in it's prime. The plot was absorbing and clever and is leading into all sorts of interesting places - this episode also was the series' first 2-parter, leaving things open for an hell of a conclusion next week! Jake's character has matured seriously in recent weeks and, although the friendly geek is still there, as an agent Jake has developed into a strong, confident man, not afraid to use fists or a gun - and pretty much someone you do NOT want to mess with if he's mad at you! Chris Gorham's portrayal of Jake continues to be excellent.

There are 3 more episodes to be aired and then that's it for this excellent series. It had a lot of potential and a growing fan base but sadly didn't get the support it needed from the network. Can anyone say "Firefly"?

Word of where the series creator was planning to take the show leaves me in no doubt that this series had the potential to be a serious contender in genre TV. A real shame it never got the chance...

Ali

This was a good show

Author: ksveit from California, USA
1 April 2004

There is a LOT of garbage out there on television. This is one of the few shows that is not in that category. It is another take on The Million Dollar Man. Jake's character was good and would have been better if the show hadn't been cut. He had some discipline problems, but he would have learned to obey his superiors. The NSA isn't used too often in television shows. It was nice to have a few shows that don't focus on murder investigation. There were four episodes unaired that would have been interesting to see. The men on the show weren't bad to look at. The show is a good example of how a geeky technician can be turned into a hero. Now we won't get to see how Jake turns out. I WISH they could bring this show back.

A new hero for the smallscreen.

Author: mack3175 from Metairie, Louisiana
10 September 2003

Most superheros are real big on the big screen, like Blade, Spider-Man, DareDevil, and Neo from The Matrix. With the success of Smallville, and the not so successful Birds Of Prey on the smallscreen. I guess T.V. needs a new superhero. It starts out with Jake Foley(Christopher Gorham) a young twenty something repairman, who dreams of being a secret agent. One day gets exposed to some dangerous chemicals after a labortary accident. The chemicals give him amazing superpowers. Then he is asked to be a spy for the government. I hope this show will be around for a while. I hope it does not suffer like Birds Of Prey did. Christopher Gorham gives a good charmingly awkward performance as Jake. The show so far has great action and great effects. Keep it up.

If you like Buffy...

Author: alexxeweb (alexxeweb@hotmail.com) from victoria, bc, canada
30 October 2003

I love this show - I hope it has enough ratings to stick. Christopher Gorham is a great and natural actor - he makes the show. If you like Buffy, you'll find a few of the same people work on this show. Christophe Beck does the music (he won Emmys for scoring Buffy), Anya Coloff is in casting, David Greenwalt (Co-producer of Angel) is the executive producer. It's shot in Vancouver, just across the water from me, not in Washington DC where it's set, but the stock footage is more seamless than most other shows that do the same thing.

Sceptical, But Hooked - Too Late

Author: CarolinaCoupe from Where I Live
2 February 2007

I had never heard of this series until the SciFi channel began advertising it a couple of months ago. I thought it was a new show, and from the commercials I was not impressed. I started watching the show a few weeks ago (it airs at the same time as wrestling...), and I have to admit, it's grown on me. Tonight was the best I've seen, with Jake diving off of a bridge backwards to avoid returning to the NSA, and his superiors having to launch a man-hunt to find him. Turns out, it was a continuing episode.....sad thing? I missed the ending of that episode.

I am also impressed with Keegan Connor Tracy, who played Diane Hughes. She is typical of the "plain girl turned gorgeous" storyline, but the writers of this show don't focus on that unnecessarily, which allows her much more depth of character.

Great show!

Author: greatgal24_7 from United States
8 April 2007

This is a fantastic show. Shown on Scifi in the US. Unfortunately it was canceled after less than a season running. Reruns are still good though. I'm not sure exactly what times it is shown as it seems to be random to me.. and mostly marathons or mini-marathons. I recommend watching this show if you are a fan of science fiction shows. Also if you are interested in technology as the whole point of this show is that he has nanotechnology inside of him. Very interesting show, was obviously getting better before it was canceled. I wish they would bring the show back and make more episodes as I have almost seen all of them already.

Maybe they got something here...

Author: UltimateTrekker from Madison, WI
11 September 2003

After watching the first episode of Jake 2.0 (a name that scared me off at first) I think there maybe a chance for a good show.

It's basically a Million Dollar Man meets Spider-man kinda thing.

The lead, Jake, is in a lab accident where he is contaminated with some experimental nanites that enter his system and begin integrating. Hence the super powers (strength, hearing, seeing...)

I like the idea that it's beginning. They even mention that he will get stronger and better as the integration continues. The downside is that in order to show us how great he is, they overshoot the bounds. He should, for the first week, have trouble controlling these abilities, causing nearly as many accidents as saves (as Spider-man did in his first comics).

However, you only got 1 hour and it was fairly good. If done properly this can be a wonderful show. However, it could just as easily sink into schlock. What was established quite nicely is a double love interest. The girl he likes and the girl we all think he should like. I say, watch and find out what they can do with this.

I've seen 3 episodes (on SciFi - Jan 5 2007)

Author: NewEnglander56 from USA
6 January 2007

Not the greatest, far from the worst. Plausibility? 5 in 2007; 8 in 2012.

My fascination with nano-technology is absolute. This brings my fantasy of it to new heights, none which I ever considered.

Jake is, and will always be, a nerd. However, I would HATE to see him over-perfected. I like the little bit of innocence that he has. What can you expect from a wannabe agent who has been in training for 3 weeks? "Real" agents must go through much more intensive training. In episode three, Diane says it's about controlling the technology. However, I see Jake's innocent self being so enthusiastic. He wants to push himself to see where his limits are. Why walk when you can run.

The main characters are, in my opinion, likable. They can be a little uptight, but then again, they're government employees. Jake will toe the line only when he'll be forced to. Otherwise he's going to "do my job", like he did when he ignored Kyle's request for Jake to put his knife through Kyle's throat.

I started re-watching the first hour, and will do so for the 2nd and 3rd, just to pick up on the subtleties I missed the first time.

So far, it's in my top-5 shows to watch on SciFi. I would like to see this show run for a minimum of two seasons, though no more than four. After that, it could get old.

One boy's biggest dream about to come true.

Author: fredrik-se from Sweden
5 November 2003

Jake Foley is a young, slightly geeky National Security Agency technician who harbours a secret desire to rise from his low-level position and become an agent himself. During a "freak accident" he is infected with nanites, which give him a dazzling array of superpowers, including "superhuman strength, lightning-fast speed, heightened hearing, razor sharp vision and the telepathic abilities to communicate with computers".

When Jake's newfound abilities are discovered, the National Security Agency places him at the centre of a new Special Ops team. But once he is thrust into his new role as a secret agent, Jake is forced to juggle his two lives as a superhero and a regular, twenty-something guy looking to enjoy life and find love.

It's okay!

Author: Jerry Hermes (bats5th@gmail.com) from United States
24 September 2003

This show is just as entertaining as the recent "Sliders", "The Invisible Man" and Chris Gorham's prior Showtime series "Odyssey 5". It's sci-fi and it's okay. Not GREAT but it really is okay. There is no reason to avoid watching this program. And Marina Black is really nice to look at.