IMDb > "Arrested Development" (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Arrested Development"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Arrested Development" More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 28: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

The best show in television history

Author: thatsSOmoney from United States
7 November 2006

Arrested Development is the funniest, smartest, best written show in television history. Every character (and the narrator) is completely hilarious. The acting is superb, and their performances always flow naturally it never seems like they are trying to force the story. The show can't be thought of episodically it is a complete story that just happens to be broken into 22 minute segments. Each episode builds on the last and is filled with in jokes that can only be caught with careful viewing.

Everyone on the show is great. G.O.B is one of the funniest characters ever created. I will never understand how Will Arnett did not win an Emmy for his performance. Jason Bateman, David Cross, and the rest of the cast are equally fantastic. The show also features great guest appearances from Henry Winkler to Liza Minnelli to Carl Weathers.

I was crushed when Arrested Development was cancelled, but I still enjoy watching the season DVDs. If you don't have the three seasons on DVDs go and get them immediately, that is the way this show is meant to be enjoyed. This is one show that gets funnier every time I see it. There is always something new that I catch whenever I watch it.

One of the best shows ever.

Author: deadpat92 from United States
4 November 2006

What can I say about Arrested Development? It's brilliant, original, well-written,well-directed, hilarious, inventive, never gets old... Well you get the picture. It took a simple idea and made it to something new. It didn't reuse old concepts of television. It didn't use a laugh track. This show was a breath of fresh air when it first came out.

Done in a mockumentry type of style. It documents the Bluth family. A wealthy family who, like the titles opening credits sequence says, lost everything. Michael is the middle child of four brothers and sisters. He is the smartest of the his nonsensical, dysfunctional family members. His father is arrested and the Bluth company starts to fall apart. The company puts various family members in to run the company until the family realizes they need Michael.

I should really tell about the members of the family. The father, George Bluth Sr. is in jail. Why he's in jail is slowly revealed through out the show. He is, well, crazy. He's quite an intelligent person and always trying to run the company from jail or somewhere else when Michael is really the one in charge.Michael's mother,Lucille, is an alcoholic and a petty,needy person. She's always asking for favors. His son, George Michael,is nervous and..uh... has a crush on his cousin, which leads to some hilarious situations.Michael has a twin sister, Lindsay. She is a crazy, self-indulgent type of person. She got married for the wrong reasons and keeps on being upset with her relationship with her husband, Tobias Fünke. Tobias is one of the most original, inventive, creative, and hilarious characters of the show. After you see the show, you'll see why.It's hard to describe him and why he's so funny.I'll just leave it at that for Tobias. Well, they had a child,Mae "Maeby" Fünke. She is sneaky and always plotting something. She is an amazing lier and can get out of any problem, which there are many of. She at various points in the show is the love interest of George-Michael, which is weird because he's her cousin. Michael's older brother, George "Gob" Bluth II, is, like all the other members of the family, crazy. He is a magician and always wants something. Like many of the other members of the family he is hard to fully describe, especially with out ruining some major plot points. Lastly there is Michael's youngest brother,"Buster". Although thirty-odd number years old, he still lives with his mother. He is very child-like and his mother is always protecting him.

The family is all over the place. Ron Howard keeps the whole show together with his narration.The show is just an enjoyable show. Watch this show. You won't regret it. 10/10.

Brilliant show

Author: Bjorn (ODDBear) from Iceland
3 October 2006

It's a difficult task explaining why Arrested Development is one of TV's funniest shows ever. It's completely off-the-wall humor isn't everyone's cup of tea but for those who like it; it doesn't get any better than Arrested Development.

In terms of pure professionalism the show has few peers. Extremely well written episodes (each and every one), outstanding actors, VERY original stories and circumstances, surprises after surprises, excellent productions values; the works. The chaotic mess that is the show's basic outline could so easily lose itself in absurdity and fall apart but it never does, even in the rushed final 2 episodes which reportedly were made in a hurry.

The show basically follows Michael Bluth and his very dysfunctional family in a series of happenings which would take a 10.000 word essay to do some justice. In short, the show's completely original take on things were it's most lovable trademark but sadly it was also it's downfall since it never reached a big audience. They'd much rather see Raymond do the same jokes over and over and over and over in Everybody Loves Raymond or shows of equal comic "genius". Quite why people failed to appreciate the show for it's outrageous and (yes, big word but...) brilliant humor I'll never know.

The 3 seasons flow well together and make for one large storyline that covers a lot of people. There are some political overtones that are more apparent on season 2 and reach a certain peek on season 3. It's hard to choose between the actors 'cause they're all great but I'll bet every fan of the show has their particular favorite. I find Gob the most laugh out loud funny.

One of Fox's biggest crimes ever was to cancel this show. TV shows are more and more becoming the same all around and when something genuinely funny comes along it's axed. In fact; the only downside to Arrested Development is that there weren't made enough episodes. Everybody Loves Raymond lasted for something like 200 episodes and Arrested Development only 53. Something's very wrong here.

A different kind of funny

Author: Miss_ery from Canada
24 August 2006

At first I was forced to watch it by my friend who told me "trust me it's funny". I watched a couple episodes and was like..."hmmm..." After about 3 or 4 episodes I noticed I was sort of liking it.

By the end of the first season I was ADDICTED! LIKE SERIOUSLY ADDICTED! This show is unlike anything I have ever seen! Wonderfully written, nicely shot, well casted and HILARIOUS! The more you watch it, the better it gets because you get used to the "style" of comedy and everything starts to become an "inside joke". I think that is why a lot of people end up not giving it enough of a chance. You REALLY need to continue watching it...and believe me, you WON'T be disappointed.

Its stupid to even comment on this show!

Author: stinkypoo75 from Canada
23 July 2006

It is ridiculous to even comment on this show because any one that has watched it loves it. Anyone. Filter through the comments on this page,they all say the exact same thing. Its the best comedy television program, some say, ever created. Better that Seinfeild, the Simpsons, anything. The BEST acting in any comedy, the best writing. This is a classic. You will get sucked into these characters lives and really understand them and identify with them. As well as laugh at them. All I do is think about the show and I laugh. Hard. Genius all around. Please buy the DVDs. I can't say enough about how smart and deep down funny this show is.

Recommended for any one that breathes.

Why was this show cancelled?

Author: parlaybay from United States
16 July 2013

I'm not sure what Fox was thinking when they cancelled this show because this is the funniest and best written comedy show I have seen in a long time. The only real competition is Seinfeld and The Office and while I'm not saying it's better than these shows, it is certainly as well written, but more complex than these shows. I actually never saw this show until recently and am actually happy I waited bc I would have really bummed when they cancelled it.

All the characters are classic, but Bateman does a great job of taking on the good guy, but yet typical Bluth, self-centered individual role. There is so much chaos going on, I can't believe the show is able to pull it off in such an organized way. Yes, I'm sure this comedy isn't for everybody, but I find it hilarious and will continue to watch reruns of this show until it gets old. I only hope Netflix keeps making more seasons

Refreshing

Author: pais4090 from canada
25 June 2013

I've always been a huge fan and supporter of Michael Cera, but before 2 months ago I had never watched an episode of arrested development.

Once I started watching, I couldn't stop!Everything about this show is hilarious, the characters are witty and unique and the storyline is interesting. I've never seen a show done like this before, Ron Howard as the narrator was a stroke of pure genius. All the characters have an interesting story line. You feel everything that the characters feel. You feel Michael's frustration with his family!! The cast is amazing as well, you will be pleasantly surprised with many of the guest appearances.

Freshest, Funniest Show EVER

Author: Jeremy Johnson (pfcjohnson85@yahoo.com) from USA
9 May 2013

I have to say, I was honestly surprised that I didn't discover this show a whole lot sooner. It's fantastic. The characters are brilliant, the dialogue is spot on, and the narrator is absolutely hysterical. The actors portray their characters flawlessly. For once there is a comedy that can actually throw twists and turns that you don't see coming in almost every episode. The best part is that it doesn't seem like the writers just do it for the sake of doing it, but actually to further develop characters and the general narrative. This is a really rare find in network comedy, and if you haven't had the chance to check it out, you're really only robbing yourself of a good time. If you're the kind of person that enjoys a good laugh (and who isn't), you've got no excuse not to check this show out. Sure, it's been cancelled and re-upped on NetFlix.

a Weird family

Author: thoreriksen2 from Denmark
19 March 2013

Arrested Development is one of best series i have seen. Its all the things a good show should have. It was send from 2003-2006 and there is 3 seasons in this TV-show.

Its about a dysfunctional family where Michael Bluth played by Jason Bateman try to saved is family from bankruptcy. And the family doesn't do this job as a easy task. With Buster Bluth (Tony Hall) playing the stupid little brother. Gob Bluth (Will Arnett) is as magician with the big ego. Lucille Bluth (Jessica Walter) is alcoholic mother who only thoughts is about how she can be superior to all other. She is married with George-Michael Bluth (Jeffrey Tambor) who is embezzled money from the family firm.

And lets hope they would make a movie or another season because that would be a money maker.

This is one of the best TV-shows that have been make in the last decade and I would said is deserves 5/5 stars.

Look at more reviews at moviesandshowss.blogspot.com

the best and funniest comedy ever

Author: skamax_99 from United Kingdom
14 March 2013

This is absolutely the funniest TV show ever, I don't remember laughing so often at any other show, Mitch Hurwitz is a genius and all the actors were perfectly picked for their parts, all together they played the perfection of comedy TV, hardly a new series will reach those heights. Thank You for giving us this masterpiece. There are so many funny lines in this show and every one of them is hilariously at the top. PLEASE bring back this series, I heard that will be a final run on netflix then followed by a movie but i bet is not going to be enough for the fans, you know, we've been used to the best and we will not accept crumbles...after that we will always want more.