IMDb > "Arrested Development" (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Arrested Development"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Arrested Development" More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 29: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

A refreshingly intelligent show, cut down in it's prime...

Author: penz197 from United States
14 February 2008

Now the story of a wealthy family who lost everything and the one son who had no choice but to keep them all together. It's Arrested Development.

The television show of Michael Bluth and his family was one of the funniest television shows FOX ever produced, as well as one of the smartest. However, the plot line of a family of rich people having business problems was not an easily marketed one. The show was dependent on character comedy, and appreciation for which, would only grow after watching several episodes in succession. Thus the occasional viewer would be left out of many of the "inside jokes" so to speak between the writers and the die-hard viewers. Making it to the third season with what little money it made was impressive enough, but as heartbreaking as it is to fans like myself, FOX had to cancel it.

What makes this story so particularly sad is that most shows that make little money are simply contrived, not funny, or too far fetched. Arrested Development was almost perfect and ranks up their with shows like Scrubs and The Office as the best comedies for the first 2000 decade. It was amazingly consistent, in both story and comedy, and while some critics try to point out a faltering in the second season somewhere, you really have to be looking for something bad to say to find it at all. For the rest of us characters like GOB and Tobias will live on inside of us forever as some of the best ever to see the screen of television.

The DVD's are extraordinary and I urge you to purchase them if you are even remotely interested in the show. However, with more recent news about a Movie I would urge die-hard fans not to get their hopes up, as I don't think much of us could handle the heart-break again.

It was arrested development...

Something different

Author: idanporat from Israel
1 June 2013

A show that rewards it's viewers every episode for watching actively and not just sitting there, if you are really trying to keep up with the speed you get the funniest stuff which is hidden on the scene constantly. it's very likely to not connect to this show but when you do, its the best.

the characters are hilarious, its about a rich family that lost it's money and never really developed as human beings,they are now struggling to get back on track without succeeding..

the new season is great too, looking forward to the next one... hopefully

Best Show Ever

Author: Ravi Malani from India
20 January 2013

I would Start of by saying that Arrested Development is the Best Show Ever Created. Each character of the show is nicely defined and original with real, unique personalities combination of which sums up to a very dysfunctional family. Acting is not just good its superb. Actors are so believable as character they play I have had hard time seeing some of them in movies playing different roles. But best part of the series is the writing. The dialogues, the narration and the presentation of story ... perfect is the word we are looking for.

The show has wide range of character .... A smart kid who is in love with his cousin, A mother ... are we still calling her that, A never nude(ya never nude) married to one of the most beautiful woman on the show,.... Twin brother with brain inversely proportional to hair in their head.... and show has everything .... Blue Man Groups , Never nudes in shorts ... A lawyer who knows nothing about law, A blind Lawyer who is not Blind, Banana Stand, Sinking boats, Magicians, Chicken Dance, Seals biting off hands,More Magicians, Man with one hand who teaches kids life lesson, 14 year old movie producers, an analrapist ( analyst + therapist) on and on and on... Didn't I say that it has everything ...

It's so good that after it was canceled in 2006 its being reprieved this year there will be one more season and a movie at least. Many People say if it was so good why was it canceled in the first place. Simple answer it was too ahead of its time ....

Greatest Comedy Show ever made

Author: hani_78696 from India
14 May 2012

This is my first review on IMDb.I don't usually write Reviews but i can't resist now .I guess i'll learn how to write a decent review shortly.

This is probably the best sitcom i have ever seen. I'm from India and i love American movies.i never had watched the TV shows or Sitcoms before. When i saw on IMDb there ratings are very high than movies so i came to know about so many Sitcoms and TV shows like Game of thrones,Firefly,Dexter,How i met your mother,Supernatural,True Blood,Breaking Bad,Friends etc etc

I started with Arrested Development.When i finished watching all the three seasons i was very surprised by the style of this show. While watching every episode i laughed-out-loud and enjoyed.

The characters are so funny,acting is terrific and concept is so unique of a man trying to deal with his dysfunctional family.i loved the way how they handled everything masterfully.Jokes never fell flat.

When you get the meaning of episode you definitely start thinking that why this is the best comedy show ever. And i read few weeks ago that they're making a movie and season 4 Now i'm waiting for that

American Pop cultures references,Guest appearances,Incest depictions,Great Narration and full of awkward moments. This is one kind of show and i think everyone should Watch it. :)

We've made a huge mistake...

Author: Carlos Eduardo Soares from Brazil
27 February 2012

Not watching this show while it was on TV was easily one of the greatest mistakes of mankind. Yep, mankind. D'you know why? Because it's the greatest show to ever grace us. Sorry, it's better than Seinfeld, Friends, Curb, The Office, It's Always Sunny etc. You name the show and this one can beat it in every single aspect.

I don't even know if it aired here in Brazil due to its short run.

The writing is great, the characters are crazy, and the comedy is so fast paced that it can break the barrier of the speed of sound.

And the best thing about it: no laugh tracks. I mean, I love simpler series such as The Big Bang Theory or How I Met Your Mother, but the laughs just gets me on my nerves! Also, the original soundtrack is hilarious.

Anyways, if you've not seen it yet, buy it right now! It's well worth it!

One of the biggest mistakes I could possibly make.

Author: beanzrpg122 from United States
9 August 2010

Let's go back to the year of 2006. I was just a mere young teenager with nothing to do on a weekday afternoon, eagerly awaiting for the afternoon line-up on FOX. I remember waiting for a new episode of "Malcolm in the Middle" to come on or another one of FOX's gimmicky celebrity programs (Which, at the time, I thought were witty and amusing.) I recall checking out what the line-up was on the TV Guide only to see a little nuisance called "Arrested Development" blocking the way of what I thought were the "Good programs" (which a couple were) at the time. I honestly did attempt to watch it once or twice but my small adolescent brain couldn't handle what was really happening. I was expecting a comedy similar to that of "Family Guy", but came out sorely disappointed. So from then on I simply changed the channel whenever I see that "Arrested Development" was on. I shook it off as nothing more than an overrated tragedy. This was the biggest mistake I have ever made. Ever.

Fast forward to the year 2009, my adolescent, close-minded brain has grown to an open-minded, humble brain. I spent part of my summer watching that of "Dexter" which had instantly shot up to being one of my favorite shows (And still is today!). Then after being convinced by a certain message board on the internet they finally convinced me to watch "Arrested Development" claiming it was the funniest show ever. I still had another month of summer ahead of me and had nothing better to do, why not? I recall viewing the show many years ago but didn't think very highly of it but my new brain decided to give it a second chance.

Let's fast forward to today. August of 2010. I have watched the series "Arrested Development" 3 times over, and every single time, every single episode has had me laughing, no matter how many times I have watched it. Every time I watch an episode I notice a small joke I never noticed in my past viewings. No show has ever made me laugh so hard that I have fallen from my chair laughing so hard that I was crying until Arrested Development. I have discovered that my viewings back in 2006 were not "true viewings" because the show does have a flaw, which unfortunately carried it to it's demise. It isn't exactly a show that you can jump into at any time and know what is going on or you will be able to understand the jokes right off the bat. Which, maybe that isn't a bad thing. So here I apologize to Arrested Development and all it's fans for being one of "those people" who never saw AD for what it was. But today I am proud to call it my favorite show and am looking very forward to the movie that Hurwitz is currently working on.

To dumb down my long rant about my history with this show, what I'm trying to say if you are having any doubts is: WATCH IT, from the beginning. Not the middle. The beginning. If you don't trust me, trust the tons of other great reviews on IMDb. All the characters are hilarious in their own way, and my friends and I still yell references at each other when passing in the hallway at school. You will still get a great laugh at the show even when you aren't viewing. This is truly a brilliant program and can honestly say there will never be anything as clever or amazing like Arrested Development. 10/10

Simply The Best.

Author: hood876 from United Kingdom
4 March 2009

This, for me, is THE greatest television show of all time. There is no other show that stands to be re-watched as much as this one does (i've seen it probably a few over a dozen times). But when re-watching, you don't just remember the jokes you know, you find NEW jokes. Tiny little back ground gags, subtle little facial expressions. Even just today I noticed a new one. It's incredibly rewarding to spot these mini-jokes, and they add to the depth and layers of the show. The main gags are incredibly funny- Gob's chicken dancing, George SR's flee from justice for example. Not only is it very funny, but the story lines are actually well written and interesting. You get the feeling that as well as making a funny show, Creator Mitch Hurwitz also had a story to tell. You actually end up really caring about the characters- you feel terrible for the Bluth kids, because of their terrible parents. There are even a few touching moments, for example in the pilot, when George Michael hugs his aunt Lindsay. There is so much packed into each episode, it's hard to believe each installment is only 20 minutes long. 20 minutes of hilarity, smart satire, unique and brilliantly drawn characters and writing that refuses to dumb itself down. It may have been cancelled, but that was only because Fox marketed it awfully and let's face it: people are stupid. A glorious cast that included the launching of now very in demand actor Michael Cera top off what can only be described as (and I NEVER use this word) Genius. So unplug your phone, lock the door, close the curtains, put in disc one, season one of Arrested Development and baby, you got a stew going.

One episode is all you need to be hooked

Author: timoth93 from Australia
28 February 2009

I am not really a huge T.V fan and often struggle to find something above mediocre. I read a lot of stuff on the internet and find out about a few shows getting huge critical acclaim and would like to see them, but usually don't get around to it (a few of the emmy award winning US shows seem to not come to Australia too often or if they do they're not always on primetime). however a friend recommended it to me and lent me the 1st season.

I watched the first episode last night and i was immediately hooked. it was hilarious and brilliant characters. i have since watched 3 other episodes each of them very near the same quality as the first.

This show is very well written and very interesting in the various plot lines for each characters. ron howard also serves well as a great narrator.

i'd recommend this to all fans of comedy and those who love witty dialog and if your a sitcom addict then i really see no reason why you wouldn't love this.

Easily the greatest sitcom of our time, and yes I have included Seinfeld and Friends - both of which I love.

Author: joe_1854 from Canada
20 January 2009

From the age of 14 till 18, I was fairly certain that of all the sitcoms I had seen, none could trump Seinfeld. This included non-sitcom comedies, such as the Simpsons (and Family Guy, which I feel doesn't deserve all the hype it's getting).

And when I first saw Arrested Development - probably around when I was 17ish - I just passed it off. It wasn't until I actually started following the plot that I realised how amazingly well written it was! Like Friends and King of Queens, the rate of punchlines per minute is very high, but it also had a winning combination of slapstick, sophisticated, and meta humour.

Like Seinfeld, it featured complex plots - in fact, it even surpassed Seinfeld (I never thought I would say that) in the complexity of their plots, very often, with resolutions that deliver laugh after laugh after laugh.

At first glance, the number of "main" characters may seem somewhat unorthodox - nine! But this just gives the story more to work with; from Tobias' oblivious unintended double entendres (You're quite the cupid aren't you? Well, I'll tell you what, you can zing your arrow into my buttocks anytime) to Gob's bombastic and enthusiastic charm (My brother said he wasn't optimistic it could be done - but I wouldn't take "not optimistic it could be done" for an answer!!! 2 weeks, LET'S DO IT IN TWO WEEKS! HEY!) this show is just non-stop, non-repetitive ie. as original as you're going to get, satirical fun.

There's a reason why this is rated 9.7 / 10 on IMDb by its viewers. How many other sitcoms can match that? At the time that I'm writing this, How I met your mother has 8.8/10 and the Office has 9.4. So if you like those shows, you'll LOVE this.

And this is a guarantee. Or at least AS MUCH OF a guarantee as you're EVER going to get from a stranger on the internet.

Best Show Ever

Author: traveleralex from Canada
3 January 2009

This show is the best thing TV has experienced in history... and it is canceled. It seems so absurd that it could have been the plot of another episode. I will address the cancellation a little bit later but first let's get to the show.

The main idea of the show is that family is the best and worst thing that will happen to most of us in our lives. Frustrated son Michael Bluth deals with his father's (George Sr.)crooked construction business, all the while trying to keep him from conviction of slight... slight treason.

Michael's son George Michael Bluth played by the now-famous Michael Cera has redefined the meaning of awkward, as his constant denial of love for his cousin Maebe was so difficult to watch that it was actually quite enjoyable. His plain girlfriend Ann (aka plant, egg, ma'am, who?) also adds a great amount of hilarious circumstances to this relationship.

Jessica Walters and Jeffrey Tambor are simply perfect as Michael's parents. Lucille's (J.W.s) racist, old-fashioned views are emphasized and exploited perfectly to make her a very interesting character to watch throughout the seasons. As well her great relationship to George Sr. , who's insane schemes, lessons, rivalries, and simple presence allow him to be hysterical through being human, makes one feel very connected to this show.

Lindsay and Buster also are wonderful for the show with their personality traits. Shallow, materialistic Lindsay with her unhappy marriage is notably the best failure at romance in TV history. Sheltered Buster, hoping to be rebellious and find true love is one of my favorite characters on the show.

However my personal favorites are the impeccable and brilliant David Cross as Tobias and Will Arnett as G.O.B. Tobias has become one of the most quotable personalities on TV through his often poor phrasing and oblivion to his surroundings. Outspoken and keen son G.O.B. hoping to earn his father's approval and to become a successful magician is hilarious as he seems to have no restrictions regarding his actions.

The supporting characters add another dimension of comedy to this show. Tony Wonder, Barry Zuckerkorn, Bob Loblaw, Wayne Jarvis, Steve Holt, Annyong, the Literal Doctor, and especially Frankling Delano Bluth provide so many clever jokes and situations and great dialog as is not matched by any other show on TV.

In fact, the running jokes that this show provides is also second to none: The Cornballer, frozen Bananas, Big Yellow Joint, Marry Poppins, News anchor, bleeps, flashbacks, lessons, suppressed feelings, 'Ain't easy being white', Mrs. Featherbottom, Wrench, Burger King, cousins dangerous...

As to the cancellation, it is clear that the show did not receive enough attention by the mainstream media as it had a bad time on the schedule and 'fox' did not put enough effort into promoting it. It is a shame that such good TV can be taken off the air, but lets keep our fingers crossed for a movie.

Overall, give this show a chance and watch at least the first season if you already have. You will never view family the same way again.