IMDb > The Squid and the Whale (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Squid and the Whale

The Squid and the Whale More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 24: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Quick word on movie and the special features

Author: grappleandstrike from United Kingdom
27 June 2007

As there little to nothing left to add about this film (many of the comments above are excellent), I thought I would include a quick word on the special features of the DVD.

I thought the film was excellent and was superb on the three most important levels to me: acting, writing, and mood. The characters were fantastic in their development and dialogue showing an usual ability to blend the writing and directing in such a way the actors also "get it".

Although the sets were unable to be completely transformed, they managed to convince me of the period and sold it very well.

The Pink Floyd song was great and the more I think of it, the more important that seems to me to the story.

However, a nice surprise with the DVD is the discussion of the film taken from a film festival. I really enjoyed the clip and think it is worth watching if you have only seen the film version and are a fan.

Excellent film and special features, a great DVD to rent.

The Squid and the Whale

Author: film_riot from Austria
24 May 2007

This is what I call fresh film-making. With "The Squid and the Whale", writer-director Noah Baumbach made a funny, sad, intelligent and sometimes bizarre film with great characters. If you haven't heard anything of it before you might think you're watching the latest Wes Anderson-film because of the characters. The father (brilliantly played by Jeff Daniels): a writer without success, but a huge ego. The mother (equally brilliant: Laura Linney): the most "normal" of the bunch, with an interesting taste in men. The kids (Jesse Eisenberg and Owen Kline): playing cover versions of Pink Floyd and pretending having written them themselves or masturbating and spreading the semen on books and school lockers. But "The Squid and the Whale" has more than just its characters. It's a precise analysis of family divorce and the dynamics behind it. When mother and son are done with blaming each other and are starting to try to understand what each of them is going through, that is actually a really heart-warming moment. And if I'm allowed to say it, also a typical Wes Anderson-moment.

Immensely detailed, deceptively light divorce drama

Author: Framescourer from London, UK
10 April 2007

Unlike the (on the face of it) obvious comparitor Kramer vs Kramer, the film is more about the children caught in the tug-o-love of a divorce. Both Jesse Eisenberg and Owen Kline are brilliant, well-coached in an understatedness that makes emotive outbursts all the more shocking. Laura Linney and Jeff Daniels are also very good, if perhaps a little strangely cast: Daniels is rather serious (Bill Murray was the first choice for Bernard). However Anna Paquin and Halley Feiffer as two girls that embody the terror and titillation of puberty are quite brilliant.

Whilst the quiet manner of the film's execution focuses the ear on the excellent script, I do feel that the melodrama that might help the humour gets a little stifled. Plus, for all it's sense of forward motion there is no conclusion - only drifting cadence. But I liked it. 6/10

a pleasant but not unforgettable movie

Author: (mbinazzi@wanadoo.fr) from France
29 July 2006

As a French I might have missed or overlooked something but I still feel like giving my point after spending 9,50 Euros on that movie. I read above that the characters were caricatures, I won't go that far but still they obviously are strong stereotypes and they all behave and act in a predictable manner. The father cannot open his mouth without trying his best to impress the world with his literary wisdom and the mother appears like the typical bored "bourgeoise" who gets laid by Mr Muscle. The student who sneaks in the father's house also is the stereotype of the teaser who will mess up with father and son and then leave the premises (which is what happens). And Sophie, the girlfriend with some literary ambitions, is the stereotype of the girl next door. There is also some sex in that movie, and while I am not prudish about it I just feel startled about the fact that a young boy who must be something like 10 appears to do things I could not achieve until I was 13.... OK, no graphic details here, but I would be curious about a doctor's opinion! Globally pleasant but not very surprising. Perhaps other actors would have made the difference????

conflict

Author: leopoldfrank from Wirral, UK
18 April 2006

I'll quickly run through the bits of my review I'm least interested in saying. It's about a family with 2 kids going through a divorce. The acting is great. The music is like a WA (you'll hear his name more in a moment) film but not quite as subtle.

And so... I had few expectations before going to see this other than knowing it was about divorce and by Noah Baumbach who had worked with Wes Anderson who has made a couple of films that I love.

From the start the similarities were obvious. The Wes Anderson direction was there but with a story with more emotional depth. As well as loving WA I love emotional films so I thought this was going to be great but, unfortunately, I was slightly disappointed by the end.

The WA style of direction is done very well but is just too facetious and ended up neutralising any of the emotional depth the story had to offer. The focus of the story seemed to bounce around too randomly from character to character and the pace was all over the place not leaving the mind enough time to settle and slide naturally from one feeling to the next.

I find myself being really disappointed, not because it wasn't that good, more because the writing and the acting were of such a high standard that perhaps if it had been directed with more sensitivity it could have been a classic.

Indie at its finest

Author: Patryk Czekaj from Warsaw
25 October 2010

This is one of those indie flicks that make you realize the great magic of the independent movie industry. We, regular people, don't get to see them very often. They aren't as popular as the tremendously expensive studio productions. Nevertheless, sometimes those low budget indie pictures make us debate over their importance in our modern world. The Squid and the Whale won two awards at the prestigious Sundance Festival. It wasn't really a surprise, because the story told in this movie is a one-of-a-kind experience. Two boys (Walt and Frank), aged 16 and 12, living in Brooklyn, NYC, go through a rough time, while their parents are in the middle of a divorce. Devastated, they start to perceive the world in a different way, make their private mother-father choices and interfere with the wrong parts of their lives. But most importantly, they grow up in front of their parents. Sexual tension is all over these young boys, which seems to cause a serious problem at school and at home. Even the parents have their moments of abeyance, while flirting with some new lovers. Fortunately, the boys occasionally find the right paths and realize that the love of a parent doesn't depend on the two of them being together, but on their honest dedication. The bright star of this movie is Jesse Eisenberg – this is the role that paved him a way to another great productions. Also, Owen Kline as a young, lost kid is really convincing. Personally, I consider the role of Lili (Anna Paquin) as the one, who deserver the most credit. She is not only a student and lover of the boys' father, Bernard, but also Walt's love object. Even though this flick isn't a no-brainer, but exactly the opposite, it can be understandable to anyone. Especially, people, who had to go over by such a trauma, would feel that the portrayal is realistic in many various ways. Finally, I would like to recommend this movie to everyone as a reminder of the old times, when a low budget and lack of special effects didn't mean that the movie wouldn't be a hit. I would also love to see more independent productions, which are made with such passion.

Philistines vs. Intellectuals

Author: moonspinner55 from las vegas, nv
9 January 2008

A stimulating, provoking, occasionally overwrought autobiographical drama from talented writer-director Noah Baumbach, with intricate details (artistic, musical, and otherwise) that stay with one long after the movie is over. Brooklyn parents in 1986, a fallen novelist who is now teaching and his wife who is a successful writer, decide to end their marriage, causing emotional turmoil for their two sons. The boys, who begin to act out their frustrations in sexual and hurtful ways, can't get a grip on what emotions they're supposed to have, which parent to be loyal to, and how to put the past into perspective. This is certainly ground the cinema has covered before, but not recently in such a direct, forceful way. The parents (exceptionally well-played by Jeff Daniels and Laura Linney) prod at each other in verbal jousts, yet each approach the job of parenting in the exact same way (they give their kids free reign to speak and feel the way they want to). The language is barbed, but very real, very natural, and the children are shaky but unyielding, tough little kids. Some sequences are overwritten (though not overplayed), such as when Daniels and Linney are called to their youngest son's school for a talk with the principal and, at the conclusion of a prickly discussion, the female authority compliments the wife on her magazine article. In the midst of the film, which is most often heavy, literate drama, a splurge of levity is usually welcomed, though Baumbach's penchant for facile cuteness can sometimes render a moment false--particularly if the design of the scene in question is proceeding so well. Aside from secondary flaws (and a brief running time of 81 minutes), "The Squid and the Whale" is bursting with human feelings and emotions that most filmmakers tend to shy away from (perhaps because audiences recoil, too). Baumbach is very nimble in bringing his viewers into this tumultuous familial circle with ease, and the great technical skill of the film combined with the wonderful acting is enough to leave one breathless. *** from ****

Bizarrely interesting, yet incomplete ...

Author: vram22 from United States
27 December 2007

This movie was a kind of a half-finished drama about kids coping with their parent's divorce. The characters are unusually strange and are somehow engaging enough to make the movie above-average.

Basically, this is the story of a family that is going through a divorce. The two parents are highly literate PhD writers and the two kids are young, literate boys. There are no stereotypic screaming matches or scheming. The movie focuses on how the boys are deeply affected by the situation.

Because this is a movie of fairly literate people, it's slightly more interesting than the usual group of characters one normally sees on screen. The acting is pretty decent too. The only problem is that the story is never very interesting. Furthermore, after watching the movie, I felt like part of the story was missing.

It's a decent movie, but not good enough for someone go out of their way to watch it.

But you didn't write it.

Author: Meganeguard from Kansas
7 December 2006

Living within the posh Brownstones of Brooklyn, New York, the author Bernard Berkman seems to live an ideal life: he is well off financially, has a great mind filled with knowledge about film and literature, and has a family consisting of a wife, two sons, and a cat. However, things are not quite as ideal, are they ever?, as they seem on the surface. While he was once a noted writer of literary fiction, few publishers are now, 1986, interested in his manuscripts while his wife's writing begins to pick up steam. Highly competitive and suffering from a strong sense of insecurity that many successful individuals display. Bernard becomes extraordinarily pedantic and attempts to hold off others from breaking through his shell. Absolutely miserable in their relationship, Bernard's wife Joan seeks solace with other men and it is obvious through their actions with each other that Bernard and Joan have come to disdain each other. Bernard constantly states that he was not commercially successful enough to please his wife. Caught in the crossfire of this failing marriage are of course their children: Walt and Frank.

Walt, who idolizes his dad, is quite emotionally distant as well and supports his dad no matter what and Frank, the younger of the two sons, supports his mother. One day after a particularly venom filled tennis match between Bernard and Walt and Joan and Franks, a family meeting is called and Bernard and Joan inform Walt and Frank that they intend to separate and that they will have joint custody of the boys who will spend three days a week at the home of each parent with Thursday alternating each week. Of course Walt and Frank dislike this proposal, but what can they do? They are minors and have to go along with the system. Even after the break up the animosity between Bernard and Joan is felt and it affects Walt and Frank greatly with the former becoming even more withdrawn and full of vitriol and the latter delving into alcohol.

The Squid and the Whale is basically an 81 minute film about a bitter divorce of two intellectuals who seemingly were quite at odds with each other for a number of years. Jeff Daniel's portrayal of Bernard is magnificent and his character is thoroughly unlikable,but it would be too easy to just demonize Bernard, each character has their own flaws which we are treated to in this film. Also, the film's music is absolutely superb with the likes of Loudon Wainwright III and Lou Reed.

Great work but I didn't care

Author: Frank Hankey from Jersey City, NJ, USA
1 October 2006

I found myself really appreciating the acting and admiring the honesty of the writing to a degree. But I wound found myself not giving a damn about any of the spoiled brats or their kids, so i didn't even make it through the whole picture. I read review that talked about the humor and hilarity. Missed that completely. Maybe what I found awkward painful, pathetic and sad was something others found amusing. At the same time I can see how it might resonate strongly with others. I generally feel Jeff Daniels is underrated and his is a generous performance. The same goes for Laura Linney. I gave up on it because it didn't seem to be heading anywhere but down. Nor was I invited to appreciate much about the characters.