IMDb > Soul Plane (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Soul Plane

Soul Plane More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 15:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Which Way to the Emergency Exit?

Author: w00f from The Flaming Wreckage
26 December 2004

Somebody decided to make a "black version" of Airplane.

Somebody decided to make a really, really bad "black version" of Airplane.

Somebody decided to make a really, really bad "black version" of Airplane that ran out of humor after the first twenty minutes.

Somebody decided to make a really, really bad "black version" of Airplane that ran out of humor after the first twenty minutes and instead spent all of its time insulting the intelligence of the audience and the cast.

This movie managed to violate the laws of physics by sucking and blowing at the same time. If nothing else, it deserves to be remembered for that accomplishment.

It's not a black thing, it's not a white thing, it's just a bad thing. A really, really bad thing. Picking it apart point-by-point would be a waste of time. The best thing that can be said about the movie is that there was a purple airplane in it. Do yourself a favor... go buy a picture of a purple airplane, and you will have gotten the best of what this movie had to offer.

This one definitely goes under the category of "What the !^@@&*! were they thinking????"

The soul airline

Author: jotix100 from New York
7 April 2006

Most comments submitted to IMDb about "Soul Plane" are so negative that it would appear this film should not hold anyone's interest. While it is no masterpiece, the movie is not half as bad as most critics seem to indicate.

First of all, other mainstream spoofs have dealt with the same clichés one sees in "Soul Plane". Jesse Terrero, the director, shows a flair for the material. The director has gathered a lot of talented black entertainers in a comedy that is best watched with a lot of friends because there are some hysterical moments in it that are a riot.

It's true there are stereotypes, but it doesn't seem the creators of the film set out an agenda to hurt anyone. Some jokes play better than others, but with the right attitude, the movie proves to be fun. The use of some of the music plays well within the context of the film.

Kevin Hart, Tom Arnold, Snoop Dog, K.D. Cubert, the funny Mo'nique, and the beautiful Sofia Vergara make this a movie with a lot of laughs.

Instead of dwelling in the negative aspects of "Soul Plane", just relax, sit back and enjoy.

Not Very Funny

Author: christian123
15 January 2005

After a humiliating experience on an airplane, Nashawn Wade (Kevin Hart) sues the airline and uses the money he wins to start up his own full-service airline. What makes his different is that it has sexy stewardesses, an on board dance club and no less than Captain Snoop Dogg in the cockpit.

Soul Plane is a very racist comedy except it is only occasionally funny. Soul Plane has been described as an "urban" version of Airplane. The problem is that Soul Plane doesn't even come close to achieving the laughs of Airplane. The jokes in Soul Pane are too offensive and they are mostly unoriginal. I would be lying if I said I didn't laugh since there were some funny moments. However, I was expecting more and I left the theater disappointed.

I would compare Soul Plane to Airplane 2. The latter was just a rehash of the first film while the former is just a rehash of outdated, crude jokes. There is really no creativity behind the movie and there are only a few fun spots. However, I don't think Soul Plane is "bottom 100" bad. Right now, the movie is ranked at number 82 and that's a little harsh. I'm not saying this is a good movie but it isn't a terrible on either. The running time is only 86 minutes long so it isn't too much of a pain to watch. For stupid comedies, you can do a lot worse.

No one in the cast is very good but they all seem to be having fun and this helps. Kevin Hart was very annoying as Nashawn. He had a few funny lines but he is a very poor leading man. Snoop Dogg, who was mildly funny in Starsky and Hutch, completely flunks here. Tom Arnold was actually tolerable and that was the film's biggest surprise. The most annoying person in the movie was Ryan Pinkston. He was not funny at all and he will never be funny. The funniest cast members were Missi Pyle and Mo'Nique. They gave the best lines and they made me laugh the most. In the end, Soul Plane may fit the bill if you're looking for a stupid comedy but it would probably be better if you just skip the film. Rating 4/10

hilarious comedy

Author: fruitloops371 from United States
24 May 2007

A trailer for this movie made me think that it was going to be garbage. A year or more later I watched it on BET and I couldn't stop laughing.

This movie should not be taken seriously. It contains tons of jokes (I'm a white male with a sense of humor, don't know if this helps). If you are bored and in need of a new comedy, this comes highly recommended. (My other favorite comedy's are Blades of Glory, Arthur(1981), Austin Powers (all three), Ben Stiller's Dodgeball, Wedding Crashers) if you wanted to know my sense of humor.

It is definitely worth the time and you will not regret watching the movie. I want to high-five the creators of this movie and party with them.

Comedy? NO!

Author: Finntroll from Turku, Finland
8 August 2004

"Soul Plane" is a horrible attempt at comedy that only should appeal people with thick skulls, bloodshot eyes and furry pawns.

The plot is not only incoherent but also non-existent, acting is mostly sub sub-par with a gang of highly moronic and dreadful characters thrown in for bad measure, jokes are often spotted miles ahead and almost never even a bit amusing. This movie lacks any structure and is full of racial stereotypes that must have seemed old even in the fifties, the only thing it really has going for it is some pretty ladies, but really, if you want that you can rent something from the "Adult" section. OK?

I can hardly see anything here to recommend since you'll probably have a lot a better and productive time chasing rats with a sledgehammer or inventing waterproof teabags or whatever.

MY VIRGIN EYES!

Author: manicmango13 from America
12 September 2004

I hate to comment on something I didn't finish, but if I spare one person what I sat through for almost an hour before turning it off in disgust, it will be worth it.

I decided to watch this with an open mind, knowing it was on the bottom 100.

Bad idea. I usually love crude humor, or can at least tolerate it. I love so-called "black" comedies. I'm not easily offended, either.

It started off okay and quickly went downhill. I laughed a few times (for example, when the main character got stuck in the airplane toilet), but that was it and didn't compensate for the strong disgust I felt.

I didn't laugh when the dog got sucked into a jet engine. I usually can't see the humor in animals dying (except in Animal House). I didn't laugh at much else of the nastiness, either. I turned it off after an incident involving a blind man and a baked potato that I don't care to repeat the details of, only that the wave of nausea still hasn't passed over me.

Simply put, it was smut-filled and simply not funny with barely any plot. This is one of the times when if you don't have something nice to say, you should get the word out.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

Lighten up everyone! Very entertaining!

Author: chrisuab from Birmingham, AL
18 September 2004

I read a lot of negative reviews about this movie from the user comments on this board. OK, so there are a lot of stereotypes BUT nobody is left out which is a very fair way to do it. There was no bias, everyone got made fun of! Whites, Blacks, Gays, Hispanics, etc. This movie hit those stereotypes in such an amusing way. I'm a white American and was not offended by Tom Arnold's character and family. A guilty pleasure of humor I think we can all relate to.

This wasn't a great movie, but I still say it was very entertaining which was the goal for this movie. There is a lot of shocking humor that you just don't find in most comedies today. If you are the kind of person who can discern between real life and how real life is perceived then this movie is for you! No need to get offended up in here, just lay back and enjoy this entertaining movie. Don't worry, this movie isn't going to influence anyone.

Crash and burn

Author: (tifgrant@aol.com) from Houston, Texas
30 May 2004

I wholeheartedly agree with Greg in Ontario. I saw this movie today with a friend who actually went to the theatre manager afterwards and told him "That was possibly the worst movie I have ever seen." I have seen a LOT of movies with this person, and he's pretty forgiving, so I was actually shocked. (The manager gave him a free pass!)

I was offended by much of the humor in the film (yes, the baked potato scene was on the top of the list!). My friend and I are white and saw the film with a primarily black audience. For awhile I thought, maybe I just don't get this movie because I'm white. Then I realized NO ONE was laughing. The writing was bad; the direction was bad; the timing was almost non-existent.

There were a few funny moments, there was just WAY too much time between them. Even Airplane Two was funnier than this, and that's saying a lot.

I was so dazzled by Snoop Dogg in Starsky and Hutch (as Huggy Bear) that I felt I was sure to enjoy this movie. Nope.

DL Hughley was funny, as usual, but his role was rather small. Tom Arnold had a few funny moments as "the white guy", but most other attempts at humor fell far short of the mark.

Sadly, I was not able to award this film a rating with negative stars.

What a rip off

Author: bee_dazzled from Ontario, Canada
24 October 2004

Frankly I did not think there was anything humorous about this movie. It was really lame and poorly done with no plot whatsoever. Surprisingly it got some chuckles from me at the beginning with the Malcolm X terminal and that was about it. Seriously Soul Plane made even the worst movies such as Gigli look like a Emmy winner. This movie is really not worth seeing unless of course you were blind like Johnny Witherspoon who played the blind man in the movie (another sad character). I cringed at majority of the stereotypic jokes and ruining Tom Arnold and D.L Hughley by casting them in this movie. This movie could be summarized in just one sentence. Nashawn wins $100,000,000 and creates his own airline, sex, drugs, homosexuality, more sex, drugs, did i mention sex? If I could I would rate this movie in the negative integers, however, the beginning was amusing which brings this movie to a 1/10. Doing the "t bag" pfft!

soulless

Author: naderea from Argentina
25 May 2006

The title tell s you where its heading. A commercial Hollywood producing with the word 'Soul' says its going to be a parody of Black culture an d characteristics done badly and diluted so as to cash in on mainstream. Result, offend everyone in its morals and production.

Racial stereotypes and black/white culture are embraced rather than dispelled. Tom Arnold definitely steals the show as he is an excellent comedy actor. Some of the jokes are forced. Some awkward moments. Dwayne Adway is a bit weak in the leading role needed to stick to being the straight man. Stewardess Sofia Vergara has landed in this film from being pictured on a footballer's arm. And like Francine Dee (who plays the Chinese stripper here)is another one of the models and women that have appeared as portraits by the GB artist and psychic Stephen Armourae. This film tries to be an Airplane spoof. But that in itself was a spoof. Double negatives don't work well. But it has enough laughs to be worth looking at.

Page 1 of 15:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]