IMDb > Mirrormask (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Mirrormask

Mirrormask More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 15: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Ho-hum Story

Author: Billy_Crash from United States
20 January 2009

MirrorMask had a great look and tons of potential, but the story just didn't hold up - especially in the all important second act.

Gaiman, a solid and profound writer, created an excellent visual landscape, but his fantasy tale lacked conflict and excessive hardships for the characters. Yes, the characters were tested, but it was completely manageable.

The actor's certainly shined in the eclectic atmosphere, but there were certain elements missing from each to drive the theme home and make the movie solid.

If more time had been spent on a faster moving, cohesive and definitive story instead of CGI and puppetry, this would have been phenomenal.

Could almost be brilliant...

Author: Zipper69 from Sunny Sarasota FL
8 December 2008

So close.....perhaps to a US audience the scuzzy surroundings of Brighton and the down at heel circus would seem exotic. For Brits they were all too familiar and gave a depressing start, not helped by Dora Bryan (DORA BRYAN????)in a cameo as the grandmother.... Once the "dream sequence" had got moving and the fantastic creatures began to appear it picked up pace and got me involved but the "Henson" touch of Dark Crystal and Labrynth was missing. The leading lady was excellent, others have noted her resemblance to a young Helena Bonham Carter and I'm sure we will see more of her. Rob Brydon is an excellent comedy writer and script doctor but he seemed ill at ease with the part of the ne'er do well, circus owning father and the part was under-written.

Chop the first ten minutes and it might score higher.

No thanks...I'll pass

Author: RashadInOz from Melbourne, Australia
4 October 2008

Here's the thing: I prefer my surrealism to fall out of a book. I'd argue that my brain finds more imagery floating out of Hesse or Barth sentences than it ever will with the extended Cirque du Soleil video-clips in this film. OK, I'm being harsh. The fantasy sequences are stunning, beautifully rendered, exquisite. In spite of the soundtrack. BUT...you know, nothing looks different on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th....(repeat)...viewings. The floating giants still float exactly the same. C'mon...try the book thing if you want imagery, let your mind go. Every viewing guaranteed to be different. I promise. So then.....what's the point here, exactly? It started off with a really nice premise: an intelligent looking girl, teenage angst, a sick mother, a circus..whoa! great ingredients!...then it was taken over by aforementioned interminable surrealist sequence. Rework suggestion: 1) Pull out the middle bit - all 90% of it. Speed it up about 100 times. Sell it to Sony-BMG as a video-clip for their next big thing. 2) Get a real storyteller. I'd love to know what happened to that charismatic girl and her family. My 5/10 = 10/10 for visuals, 0/10 for everything else.

predictable but done well

Author: Siloty from Australia
3 October 2008

this is a Jim Henson company movie but there is no puppetry. i must start with that. but i found that did not ruin the movie.

Stephanie Leonidas plays Helena, a girl who has grown up in circus life and wants a 'normal life'. She is a talented artist and has walls taken up by her drawings.

She finds herself in a different world. One made of cgi...which is really well done. She meets with a man named Valentine who saves her from the shadow. They set out to find the charm that will restore balance between the two kingdoms.

this movie is quite predictable, kind of another coming of age movie done as a fantasy. the acting is done well and the CGI characters are really cool. very entertaining.

A Hall Of Mirrors For All Ages

Author: Joseph Sylvers from United States
11 June 2008

The fragmented comic-book art of Dave Mckean comes to life in MirrorMask, a simple fantasy tale of a inverted world, and girl on a quest.

The plot is kinda standard with some fantastical twists from screen writer Niel Gaiman(Beawolf, Stardust, The ...(read more)Sandman(comics), which kinda defy description floating colossal golems, penguin apes with wings, Sphinx like alley cats who eat books, flying towers, etc. What's really unique about this film is how the heavily augmented digital effects actual make the film feel like a dream(not in a David lynch, Jacob's Ladder way), but like an actual hazy, fleeting, disconnected way(closer to "Waking Life" and "Alice In Wonderland"). If you like all encompassing visual spectacle and don't mind a simplistic children's film plot, it's well worth the time. Dave Mckean is a mulit-media master whose singular style translates very well visually, and more than anything else, makes the movie worth seeing

Pure Gold Story

Author: lrobokoff from United States
28 January 2008

My mother recently bought this movie and she let me watch it. At first the movie was kinda Bazzar with the Circus Grunge effect. The actors were almost non fitting at the beginning. As the Movie went through I noticed something odd about the Animated characters, They were poorly developed 3D models with actual human faces. This however did not take from the movie ass they added a grungy old movie feel to it which gave it that "Its supposed to look that way" kind of feel i.e Sky Captain and the World of tomorrow was intended to look like a comic book.

The Plot or Story was very well written It seemed reminiscent of another movie I had seen though, but I do not know what it was called. In sum. It is about a girl who created a world on paper and filled it up then drew on the back side, this in turn created two worlds and one was "Light" and the other was "Shadow" but the main actor wound up in her created world and does not know it till the end. She must find the Mirrormask (in the literal name of it) and return to her own world in which her alter ego invaded.

Fantastic movie :)

Author: Stardreamer2008 from New Zealand
18 August 2007

OK first of all i'd like to say that this movie is not for everyone. If you don't like surrealism in art (e.g. similar to Salvador Dali work) and in music, if you think stories about a teenager coming of age have been done too many times and if dreamlike fantasies are not your cup of tea, then please DON'T watch this movie, because you will not enjoy it. I personally enjoyed the movie, because I love all the things mentioned above and I liked symbolism of darkness vs. light (I find it interesting that they had spiders as a symbolism of darkness, being born from the shadows and connected to the imagery of Dark Mother/Dark Queen). I also love it, because of lessons of loyalty and friendship it contained. This movie has everything: some sadness, some humour, a hint of romance (although some will not think so, it is my personal opinion, that there was a hint of romance between Helena and Valentine). As I think i mentioned, some people really didn't like the soundtrack, but I love it and I'm listening to it right now: it is very surreal and dreamlike.

Overall a wonderful movie.

I also recommend this link of MM's analysis: www.oddpla.net/mirrormask/mm-and-labyrinth/mm-and-labyrinth.html

destroying someone's world

Author: quincy-white
6 August 2007

Yes, this is very much like The Wizard of Oz, among other things, but Mirrormask is much better and much deeper. Don't get me wrong, I love The Wizard of Oz, but I don't think Dorothy grew too much as a person, other than realizing there's no place like home. And I'm sorry, but I think Stephanie Leonidas is a better actress than Judy Garland.

Mirrormask is about growing up, and teenage rebellion, and very much about mothers and daughters, and the difficulty of one losing the other. There is the line in it 'But you can't run away from home without destroying someone's world'. This is literally true in the context of the movie, but it was later that the meaning of it hit me.

I'm usually against over-analyzing movies, and maybe Neil Gaiman and David McKeen did not intend this, but the line I think means you cannot leave a loved one without destroying that person's world. Your mother, father, friends, are too involved with you.

The mirrormask concept was more integral to the story than I thought, it was not just about finding it but about what it can do. The scene where it is put into use is as magical as you would expect.

Superb film

Author: artzau from Sacramento, CA
2 April 2007

Fantasy works because of our subconscious, dream state where our minds go when the real world gets to be a bit too much and we need a retreat. There are lots of fascinating psychoneurophysiological theories why these events occur and no matter which explicative model you wish to embrace, be it Freud, Jung or Julian Jaynes, moving from the conscious ('real'} world into the unconscious ('surreal') one can be amazing. This film with its surreal, Daliesque Gothic images embellished in grotesque styles, ambiguous depictions and dissonant music, is a winner. Previous reviewers have deemed it "Labyrinth on Crack," which I find a bit severe, but it does delve into the dark, scatological modern Gothic so appealing to many of the youth today. As a mythic journey, it welds the same redemption quest of the Labyrinth, City of Lost Children and Time Bandits, together with the young girl's rite of passage in Alice in Wonderland. Some viewers may find it a bit on the far side, but Gaiman and McKean, along with a splendid cast of Stephanie Leonidas, Jason Barry, Gina McKee and Bob Brydon-- and the others-- make this super enjoyable cinema.

In the words of Keanu Reeves, "Whoa"

Author: Randolf Carter from United States
27 March 2007

Okay, I saw a VERY brief preview of this movie on the "alright, enough freaking previews already, let's get to the f$%king movie!!!!" section of a DVD I rented. It looked very bizarre and full of cool special effects.

About a month later, it was in the discount bin of the "previously viewed movies for sale" at the local video store, so I though, What the hell' and bought it.

The first five minutes almost got it put in the used books and movie trade in bag, but I was feeling too lazy to get up and eject it...besides, I remembered the cool visual effects on the preview. After slogging through a bit of artsy-fartsy, Circue Du Soleil garbage, and almost making me got off the couch to once again, eject it, it took off.

I'm glad I was so lazy that night.

Totally not my kind of movie, but wow! It was nonstop eye-candy that had me put down my bag of cheetos to watch. This movie might have made me change what is "my kind of movie". Pretty cool. The kind of stuff you visualize when reading, actually done fairly well with CGI. not like the ultra low quality made for Sci Fi movie special effects. This was almost mind warping.

I just found out, there's a three hour Neil Gaiman series on DVD, which I want to check out next.

This movie, once you get past the artsy-fartsy first 15 minutes and realize it's not an R-Rated movie, but more of a family one, turns out to be quite good. If this guy made some cool sci fi/horror films, he'd be a top-dog!