IMDb > Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle
Page 2 of 32:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Brilliant and Underrated - Not just a "stoner comedy"

Author: fishy1999 from United Kingdom
19 March 2005

This movie was absolutely great. I've watched it about 5 times now over the past few weeks. For all those that love The Big Lebowski, this movie will make a lot of sense. There are loads and loads of memorable lines in the film. Even more interesting was the interesting metaphors about race relations, immigration and assimilation in the US. It seems to me that White Castle (not, in my view, randomly selected as the munchie destination of choice) represented that idealized destination that all those pursuing happiness and the American Dream seek out. A telling moment is where Harold and Kumar, before getting to White Castle, see their Jewish friends Goldstein and Rosenberg happily enjoying their hotdogs in another fast food joint. They gaze longingly at their two friends and Harold says "I want what they have". He elaborates that he means having exactly what you want, not hot dogs per se. You could argue that this was a metaphor for Asian-American and Indian-American first or second generation immigrants looking to Jewish-Americans as examples of a group that came to the US and managed to be admitted to the "White Castle", to assimilate and to ultimately attain the American Dream. I could be way off about this, but it's clear that immigration, assimilation and race-relations is a prominent theme throughout the film. Bottom line, the film is both hilarious, meaningful, and memorable.

This is either one of the stupidest movies I've ever seen or one of the funniest

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
7 April 2008

Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle, in 2004 just from the title, I never wanted to see this movie, it just sounded so incredibly stupid and a waste of good film. But on Bravo a few months ago they had this movie on it's top 100 funniest films of all time and also they're not releasing the new sequel in a month, so I figured what do I have to loose? Just go ahead and give the movie a chance, so I rented it yesterday and watched it today, I hate to say it, I couldn't stop laughing. I mean from beginning to end this movie is just so unbelievably funny, I think it's because it doesn't take itself seriously and the actors just have so much fun with it. Kenn Pal and John Cho have a great chemistry for the buddy relationship of Harold and Kumar, not since Bill and Ted has been such a great stoner move.

Harold and Kumar are two friends who are about to enjoy their Friday night getting high, they get the munchies and are looking for the ultimate satisfying food: WHITE CASTLE. So they go on a trip to the local White Castle where they are disappointed to find out that the White Castle is closed, so they have to travel across town to get their craving. But the night is still young from emergency surgery to chilling with the cheetah's, from Neil Patrick Harris stealing their car to hang gliding, this is the ultimate night just to get the perfect square hamburger.

Seriously Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle is one of the funniest movies I have seen in a long time. I couldn't believe how much I laughed out loud during this film, I think I have to join in with the fans on this movie. I just loved everything about this film except for the potty humor, that's always for me a huge turn off, but I got over it because this was just a fun movie. The script, the actors, the fantasy with the weed and Kumar was just beyond hilarious. I loved Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle and highly recommend it, don't take it seriously, just have fun.

Hilarious movie!

Author: jasonklingensmith from United States
7 February 2005

This was a hilarious movie. Unlike How High, where Method Man and Redman try so hard to be the heir apparent to Cheech and Chong, Harold and Kumar just seem to fall into that role. I thought I was going to die laughing when Kumar was peeing in the bushes and Jamie Kennedy came up to him. Doogie Howser stealing their car, humping their seat. That's classic.

This is the funniest movie I've seen since Old School. It's great also the way they pay homage to Dude Where's My Car, being that this is the same genre, and a similar story. I think Harold & Kumar might become this generation's Cheech & Chong. I'd like to see a sequel, may Harold & Kumar go to Taco Bell or Hot Dog Heaven. I would highly recommend this movie to anyone with any kind of sense of humor. Loved it.

LOVES IT

Author: Stephy317 from NY, NY
29 October 2004

THIS WAS ONE OF MY FAVORITE MOVIES EVER!! Not just another horrible version of Dude where's my car but a unique trip through NJ with a storyline that worth paying attention to! Though, far off at times- the humor of the movie is carried through by an awesome performance by each of the main characters. It plays to many stereotypes and runs with them making you have no choice but to laugh. They Chemistry between the two of them is worth the $9 i payed to see the movie, they play off each other perfectly. I would have never guessed that I would have enjoyed this type of movie but much to my surprise and enjoyment it was one of the best of the summer. Definitely GOING TO BE FIRST ON LINE WHEN IT COMES OUT ON DVD!!!

This film is HILARIOUS! A must-see.. twice!

Author: treasonsymphony from Indianapolis, IN
30 July 2004

Who would have thought this film would be hilariously amazing and entertaining ? Well, I did.. and I was thoroughly satisfied. I received my time AND money's worth with this one. I can't think of another comedy that I have seen in recent years that even compares to Harold and Kumar. Throughout the movie, there is not a scene where you're not holding back a shout of laughter, or biting back a guffaw. I can't think of anything in this movie that is a downer. It is truly and feel-good, hilarious comedy. Not to mention a HUGE boost in White Castle business. ;) I know I plan on stopping by my local White Castle and picking up a bunch of Sliders. Overall, Harold and Kumar go to White Castle is a must-see.. TWICE !! (.. okay four times.)

Everything Dude Where's My Car wishes it could have been

Author: Catlin Massier from Canada
11 July 2007

This movie is everything for drugs that Dude Where's My Car should have been for beer. The producers of that movie came back and brought us this timeless classic that I'm sure will be watched for generations. The funny thing is that in the last scene there are a lot of references to that movie. If you think drug humor is funny then you don't even have to read any more of this review go watch to movie now if you haven't seen it. I guarantee you won't be let down. However if you think drugs are bad and stupid, this movie still might be funny to you. This is on my list of top favorite movies if not it being my favorite movie to date. It's hard to even discuss this movie because I feel like I don't want to ruin the experience for anybody, and If anybody is reading this comments before checking off hide spoilers I think you should click the X button on your computer and go grab this hilarious movie. I LOVE this movie!!!!

Funny Clever

Author: mikey koun from France
22 December 2005

One of the funniest movie ever !!!! We didn't know them when we watched the movie my girlfriend and I. Actually we did have a wonderful time laughing with Harold and Kumar. JUST WATCH IT !!! Hope they would do another movie. Since we watched it we'd like to go get some hamburgers at white castle if it ever existed. HAROLD KUMAR HAROLD KUMAR. Can I give you an advice ? Don't start watching without having any burgers on hand.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Check it out dude ! Don't fall for the wrong path ! Indians and Asian guys should live hand in hand for their own sake. Mister Miyagi was also involved.

Restores my faith in the comedy genre

Author: b1lskirnir from United States
6 March 2005

No, this is not just another idiotic stoner movie with no plot or good acting ( cough cough Dude Where's My Car ): this is in fact one of the best movies I've seen in ages. Perfect casting, well-written plot details, and amazing humor. Do not be discouraged from seeing this movie, no matter what your elitist friends say.

Basiclot summary: Harold ( that Asian guy ) is an overworked investment banker who frequently gets the raw end of the deal from the guys at his company, who perceive him as a dorky number-cruncher, which also causes problems in his love life. Kumar ( that Indian dude ) is a twentysomething stoner who has the potential to do great things with his mind, but chooses an ignorance-is-bliss path. He persuades Harold to join him for a night with the finest marijuana he could obtain, only to get the massive munchies for some White Castle burgers. To say that they embark on a quest would be an understatement. Their journey, taking at least 12 hours total, takes them all over New Jersey for their beloved burgers. Possibly the greatest attribute of this movie is that it is so ridiculous and outlandish, yet is has just enough social commentary and reflective dialogue to keep it down-to-earth and understandable, even cathartic. Throughout the night, they run afoul of dirtbag white trash skaters, a geeky Asian club, a mad raccoon, a lunatic country couple, more than a few car accidents, Neil Patrick Harris, corrupt policemen, a cheetah, and so much more.

I can even begin to describe how well the story unfolds. It's a definite feel-good movie in the end, but it's much more. You really need to see it to understand it and what it's really about. There are few things I could complain about in this movie: excellent screenplay, appropriate music, the only thing stereotype-wise it could've used was some DDR or K-Pop to complete it.

Once again proof that things from New Jersey, such as the Numa Numa dance, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, and myself, are completely amazing.

So now this generation has, it's own Airplane.

Author: simpsjd from Seattle, Washington
1 August 2004

One thing can be certain; people who did not enjoy this film either are to `PC' or have not embraced the concept of mindless humor. This is with out a doubt the new Airplane of the new millennium where racial comedy and the `you can't say that attitude' are left by the way side so we can watch two friends in a campy adventure. John Cho and Kal Penn have excellent screen presence and their ability to play off of one another is what gave them staying power through all three pie moves. One of the best parts about this film is the cameo appearances and tie-ins to motion pictures of the age and cult following. Leaving no gender, race, or stereo-type out the film rages with reckless abandon on the audience and with in moments you find your self laughing through your hand covered mouth and by the end of the second real you can't help but laugh aloud. Danny Leiner is great at telling this story with honesty to the characters and not letting even their own epiphanies stand in the way. Not to mention Neil Patrick Harris' performance epitomizing the child actor gone bye, bye. This is an honestly funny film with very little to think about, pushing the social limit on the `PC' attitude.

Adults beware

Author: ctomvelu from usa
1 January 2005

My spouse and I, both of us in our mid-50s, watched about 20 minutes of this and had to shut it off. Our 16-year-old of course loved it. Our 18-year-old thought it had its moments. You decide. Two 20-something stoners, both of whom are singularly unappealing, go on a road trip to seek a better burger. The drug humor is off the scale, making Cheech and Chong look like tea-totalers. I guess that was the idea. By the way, for those of you dwelling in the hinterlands, White Castle was a fast-food burger joint that predated McDonald's and Burger King. The burgers are an acquired taste, having been previously frozen, quickly grilled and served up with copious quantities of onions, perhaps to mask the lack of taste or the fact that the burgers may not be 100 percent beef. Having said this, I happen to love them, and fondly recall frequently visiting a White Castle near my office in years past. Sadly, most White Castles are long gone. You can buy a poor man's version of the product in boxes of six at almost any supermarket, and the White castle chain will air-mail their burgers via special order.

Page 2 of 32:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]