IMDb > Breaking Dawn (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Breaking Dawn More at IMDbPro »

Kelly Overton - Whoa!

Author: kublakhanpics from Los Angeles
19 October 2004

Saw the film at the Hollywood Film Festival in Oct '04 . Mark Robertson took a huge chance writing an extremely difficult part for his first film and it paid off big in his casting of Kelly Overton. I had a strong feeling she came from the theater so I looked her up here and ...surprise, I'm right. More Hollywood actors should follow her lead, give up the expensive acting classes and get back to theater because only with that kind of training will you be prepared for a ride like this. For all the great things I can say about the film and the director (and there are many) I just can't stop talking to people about Kelly Overton's masterful performance. We'll be seeing a LOT MORE of her work, no doubt.

Congratulations to Mark and Kelly on a daring film. Get it out in the theaters so I can bring all the people I made want to see the film ASAP!

Highly recommended

Author: Fizzwizz from Spain
6 April 2005

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie and to date, this year, it is one of my favorites. The story was excellent although the twist at the end was far too predictable and I knew what would happen far too early. Usually when this happens the film is spoiled for me (like "The Others") but even knowing the outcome I still enjoyed it right up to the end. Looking through the comments of others many people were impressed with the performance from Kelly Overton (Eve), I'm afraid I was not. Her performance seemed to be the weak part of the film to me, in contrast to the amazing performance (or characterization) by James Haven (Don Wake) ... I hope we see more of him. What a great little film, highly recommended to all!

Interesting movie... and a surprise performance!!

Author: Fed7haS from Denmark
10 February 2005

When i saw this movie the first thing that jumped at me was the acting of Kelly Overton a young (and op and coming star) actress that i saw for the first time totally blew me away.. she is amazing on screen and I'm really looking forward to see what the future brings her....

The movie it self was good in the sense that it let Kelly Overton do her stuff and take the wiever for a ride... not much new tho i had the feeling that i had seen it all before.. but a good experience :) I would recommend this movie... if only to see Kelly Overton.. this stage actor takes the screen by storm.. i give this movie a vote of 7... 5 for the acting performance and 2 for the rest of the movie.

And on a last note.. sorry about my bad English.. if this is gibberish for you :P plz ignore me...

synergy

Author: dont_panic06 from Turkey
30 April 2005

I saw the film yesterday and really enjoyed it.Although there were several clues which I could realize after second time watching ,I was not able to awake the Dow-Dawn case. Maybe this was my carelessness.The subconsciousness of a woman was became concrete with personalization.'Let me go out'the key sentence of the film.Let me go out from deep deep inside of your brain and we will both be free.A discrete film that forcing the limits of human conscious and brain.Anybody who have seen the 'Machinist' would realize the similarities with breaking dawn.A man that could not escape from his conscience (again a psychological and an abstract concept)meets it in an human body.And he will just be free of accepting and realizing there is no way of escape.Also I want to mention about the performances of 'breking dawn's stuffs.In spite of having not many experiences, from actors and actresses to director all exhibited separately reasonable performance that have created a synergy which would increase the quality of the movie

Spooky and clever

Author: palovalde009
12 October 2007

This movie is a mystery. It's not scary, it's spooky. You'll probably jump at some points and for some of it you'll be scratching your head to figure it out. It unfolds its mystery through the main character Eve and her psychotic college project at an insane asylum, Don. He needs her to search for some clues to vindicate himself from murdering his mother, and once Eve agrees to help him, she completely opens up pandora's box and unleashes some very strange things, including Malachi. I won't go into Malachi, but I thought the way that played out was complete genius. I know movie buffs won't regard this movie with the same prestige as other classics because it doesn't have anyone very famous in it (Angelina Jolie's brother was excellent, but maybe he should have asked his sister to show her face just so this movie could get some recognition) but I do think the way the Malachi ending works is something to talk about. I've recommended this to my friends, definitely worth the purchase or rental price.

Predictable Twist

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
28 December 2006

The medical student Eve (Kelly Overton) is assigned to care of Don Wake (James Haven), a catatonic patient of a psychiatric Cape State Hospital who was found covered with blood near his dead mother. She must succeed in disclosing the truth about the murder of his mother and improve his conditions to conclude her medical course. She secretly changes his medications and he starts talking to her about a theory of conspiracy leaded by the mysterious Malachi. Eve becomes obsessed and paranoid with her patient while Don dominates her mind deeper and deeper. When she breaks with Don out of the mental institution, she finally discloses the truth about the crime.

"Breaking Dawn" is reasonable and too long, since the twist is very predictable. In spite of having good performances of Kelly Overton and James Haven, the screenplay is very weak and does not work well. My vote is five.

Title (Brazil): "À Beira do Abismo" ("Near to the Abyss")

A pleasant surprise

Author: adiradathel from Europe
3 January 2007

Whenever I see comments here along the lines "the movie is crap, but at least so-and-so was a hot chick / guy", whenever this happens I know: a certain kind of people doesn't like it, and that is exactly the kind of people I want to dislike "my" movies.

So this one has a decent script and the end is NOT disappointing - it is, indeed, a not quite so fresh twist, but it was far more plausible than anything M. Night Shyamalan has dreamt up so far, and that DOES include the highly overrated "Sixth Sense".

On the other hand: the ending, though presenting a good conclusion for the plot, is overly optimistic and feel-good that it gets cheesy (1 star reduced for that fact alone).

But the 85 or so minutes up front work remarkably well, and script and directing give the viewer a more than fair chance to deduce the final twist well in advance. Besides that, the acting is decent, the low budget doesn't show at all and the whole thing is very aptly written and directed. When I learned how young the writer / director is, and that this was his first film, I was truly impressed.

I hope to see more of his work.

P.S: Kelly Overton acted well, but she really isn't that hot. Sorry.

Breaking up

Author: Raul Faust from Joinville, Brazil
6 August 2012

The unknown actress Kelly Overton plays a young doctor who is starting her job with psychiatry in a proper hospital for mental sick people. Once the young physician starts talking to a problematic patient with a visible mental sickness, strange things start happening to her-- that's a cliché line, I know. She hears voices in her room when she's by herself, weird people come by in her apartment and one mysterious voice calls her on the intercom. The problematic patience tells her to look around and be careful about something he never specifies, which catenate to an intriguing plot. Several scenes are tense and extremely entertaining due to the good directing and acting. Kelly Overton varies from good to bad, depending on what the scene is requesting from her. In the end we have a surprise-- which isn't very understandable-- and a feel good ending, mainly because of the photography direction and the beautiful last song. Considering the subject chosen and how original it was back when released, this film deserves nothing less than a 7. Give it a chance.

Fair movie... not really horror, just a trick ending really

Author: innerboyka from ohio
6 August 2013

The film was at best a mish-mash of ideas. First, it tried to add an element of horror, by showing a man in a black robe called Malacai, which never materialized. The ending really didn't make sense, and the acting was uneven. While the head doctor and the mental patient were good, Kelly Overton, the lead actress was pretty weak. She did not talk or act in the least like a medical doctor, and so this automatically gives away the plot of the movie: she's not the doctor, she's the mental patient! (Like we haven't seen *that* before.) The reason for institutionalization and the way she is "cured" are stupid and not believable (even for a movie). I mean if you're tired on a Friday and want a mildly entertaining film, this might fit the bill. Just be prepared to be slightly disappointed.

Interesting enough.

Author: insomniac_rod from Noctropolis
3 January 2010

I caught this movie on local t.v. at about 4:30 a.m. I didn't have expectations for it but after the opening credits I knew I was into something good.

There are situations that are left for your interpretation to "find out" what really happened so your attention is a key factor.

The whole psychological thriller situation deals a lot with character development and the way things are executed by the main character.

Your sub-conscience also plays an important part because through a series of events and dialogs you will be able to make a correct interpretation and generate an opinion.

The technical aspects are very good. Really good in fact. Kelly Overtone is extremely sexy and she's candy for the eye although she's most of the time in her white clothes.

The fear factor is almost inexistent but there's plenty of mystery and tension to dig from.

I would recommend it for those who enjoy supernatural and psychological thrillers.