IMDb > "Hope & Faith" (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Hope & Faith"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Hope & Faith" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

TGIF is back and with "Hope & Faith" it can be just as stupid as ever

Author: liquidcelluloid-1 from www.liquidcelluloid.blog.com
14 May 2004

Network: ABC; Genre: Sitcom; Average Content Rating: TV-PG; Classification: Contemporary (star range: 1 - 4);

Season Reviewed: Season 1+

ABC's TGIF line-up is back and if this show is any indication, it's exactly as we remember it. 'Hope & Faith' is a quintessential "stupid sitcom" with simple, recycled plots, bubble-headed characters and duh-duh humor that brazenly recalls the 'Full House'/'Family Matters' era. And I actually rooted for ABC to bring this idea back- I would much rather deal with this than another reality show.

I understand the niche for this type of simple show. It's Friday night, the kids are excited over the weekend and it's time to just kick back and watch some escapism. So it goes almost without saying that 'Hope' is mind-numbing, but it manages to be even worse than those low expectations. The stories barely make sense from minute to minute and every joke has a blinking neon sign hanging around it. It's also -surprisingly - toward the crude side of generic as we can see the lowered bar of TV standards has even infiltrated TGIF. The show is almost epically stupid from the directing and writing down to the lighting and visceral look. Where we aren't just not laughing, we feel embarrassed for the actors.

The actor I don't feel embarrassed for is Kelly Ripa. Ripa is a gorgeous girl and on 'Hope and Faith' we certainly get to see her with great hair and in a vast wardrobe of attractive outfits. But the series is clearly designed for those who can't get enough of her acting stupid on 'Live with Regis and Kelly' in the morning and want to see her acting stupid in the evening as well. And Ripa hams it up big time here. Meanwhile, we get the sense that everyone else in the cast is trying to tell us they know they can do better. Poor Faith Ford (so good playing a naive ditz on 'Murphy Brown' and now saddled as Ripa's straight man) looks like she's just barely trying to keep up with Ripa in the embarrass-yourself department. Jump the Shark patron saint Ted McGinley is probably the best thing about this show. Most of the time we can find McGinley happily off to the side, away from the blast, filling reactionary shots with a look of amazement at whatever chicanery is going on between the sisters. Elsewhere we find the stock obnoxious kids, also in the periphery as to not divert any power from the gleaming spotlight on Ripa.

This whole affair is the type of obnoxious, bottom-of-the-barrel awfulness that give sitcoms a bad name. It's purpose is to be an escape, but it just might give you a migraine. This was all foretold from the beginning where the show must have set a land-speed record to the bottom by resorting to a food fight in the first episode. A food fight. Of all the sitcom clichés that need to be put a moratorium on, I'd trade them all just to get food fights off the air for good.

* / 4

Great chemistry

Author: rjc739 from Philadelphia, United States
8 April 2005

I make time to watch one thing on Fridays and that is Hope and Faith (and I'm a 40 yr old guy). I think it's real funny. The chemistry between Faith and Kelly is perfect. You couldn't find a better partner for Kelly. To add to that you have a third person who fits right in with the two: Ted. He is also great. I like him better now than I did 20 years ago. Kelly is funny as hell. I think she's one of the funniest women in TV today. Her character is perfect for her and she knows how to whine and complain and showoff like no one. Her timing is great. She worked for Charlie in his dentist's office and she was a scream! She botched everything and pursued one of the younger patient's father (while the patient had a mold stuck in his mouth!). Ha! The show started off without many sexual innuendos which was a real nice change but this season the shows are full of them and I think that's kind of a shame. It's even funnier that they have brought in Kelly's husband and Regis and jokes are made about their real-life relationships. Show is way better than Bonnie Hunt's show which went off the air (although I watched that, too, and I think Bonnie and their crew were real talented). I think it is the funniest show on Friday nights. Oh, the writing is great! Please don't go off the air!

Ghastly...

Author: NickSoapdish from United States
5 August 2005

Ugh, Hope and Faith. Kelly Ripa certainly is funny on Live with Regis and Kelly when she's just being herself, but when it comes to this honker of a sitcom, Kelly Ripa can't do scripted comedy to save her life.I have seen several episodes of Hope and Faith, and honestly, it just isn't funny, the characters are annoying; Faith (Ripa) is especially grating, and the jokes just don't work. The youngest daughter is probably the only character on this show more obnoxious than Faith (Ripa). (Although, the WifeSwap parody and the episode with the soap actors were mildly amusing).Personally, I don't like this show. But Overall, this show just isn't fun to watch, it just makes you cringe when you realize how bad it is. Kelly Ripa should just stick to doing daytime TV; daytime TV is where she has always shown her true talent.

terrible pilot, great following episodes

Author: moviesfan11 (moviesfan11@yahoo.com) from DG, IL
16 October 2003

The pilot for this show was terrible. The jokes were tired, and predictable. None of it had any logical things in it. And the acting was poor. But in the following episodes, the are just great. The jokes are unpredictable. funny, and the acting has improved so much. The writing is getting a lot better, also. For those of you who thought the pilot was bad, give the new ones a chance. They are really good!

Hope & Faith: 4/5

TV rating: TV-PG D. There ae some sexual references, but not to bad for little kids. They won't get any of the jokes, though.

Annoying Sisters not that fun

Author: SnoopyStyle
28 August 2013

Hope (Faith Ford) is an uptight happily married mom of three in Glen Falls, Ohio. Her tidy world is up-ended by the arrival of her celebrity sister, the giant mess Faith (Kelly Ripa). Faith was a Hollywood diva as a daytime soap opera star until her soap's character was unceremoniously killed off.

Kelly Ripa was annoying, and her character unlikeable. Faith Ford wasn't much better. The constant fighting really made it hard to root for this angry relationship.

It also had on set drama as they fired the oldest daughter played by Nicole Paggi. She was great as the only fun character. For seasons 2 & 3, they replaced her with Megan Fox. Sadly, she may have the looks, but at that stage she couldn't act her way out of a paper sack.

No No NO!

Author: Jim Goad from United Kingdom
1 August 2008

I feel slightly irked that I have to give it 1 star because it deserves 0.

Over 50 episodes of entirely unfunny junk. Some say that it improves after the 1st series, so I gave it a chance. It doesn't improve. It gets worse. It's hard to expect much from a series called 'Hope & Faith' where the lead characters are called... you guessed it, Hope and Faith. Ha Ha Ha ughhhh!!! That gag has been a tired cliché for at least 50 years but it's actually the funniest gag the writers have managed to write / copy. Oh yes. Don't expect any originality whatsoever here. Don't expect any spark or verve from the dead eyed, creosote-faced, bleached teethed, dyed haired (To hide the grey I presume) actors either. Manic energy cannot hide you're lack of talent ladies. Actually, most of the cast wander around with a dazed look on their varnished faces. I can read their minds... I'm picking something up now.... they're thinking "Why has this show been re-commissioned? I can't believe I'm getting paid for this putrid garbage. My career has hit rock bottom. I'll just keep grinning & hope the audience doesn't notice."

Don't watch it under any circumstance. Those 'Live Surgery' TV shows are funnier than this. Slicing the tip of my finger off was funnier than this. Even 'Joey' is a funnier show & I NEVER thought I'd say that.

I Have actually warmed up to this show.

Author: Raflet60 from United States
4 May 2010

I discovered this show in the last three months when I was channel surfing during the morning. I watched for a few minutes and actually laughed at some of the jokes. As I kept coming across this show I noticed I was beginning to like what I saw. I eventually started to watch the show and although there are some rough spots and weak writing at times, I realized that Kelly Ripa has very good comedic timing and great expressions. She and Faith Ford make a really funny team. I will admit that I normally wouldn't be into a show like this because I always considered shows like "The Dick Van Dyke Show" or "M*A*S*H" to be more of my liking with great writing and great acting. Again, with this show I'm attracted to the chemistry of the two leads and I sympathize with the husband who hates his sister-in-law. It's definitely not a great show and Kelly Ripa's character can be downright mean and not a very nice person but she pulls it off beautifully and there are some really funny lines. I really wish it had lasted more than three seasons. I'll give it a 7 out of 10 because of Kelly Ripa's acting, she should definitely do another sitcom.

Goofiness at its Best !

Author: ahmed elshikh (ahmed_abd_elreheem@yahoo.com) from Egypt
21 December 2008

You may say a lot of bad things concerning such a show : traditional, stereotypes, overacting, goofy.. Whatever. Though, strangely it worked and with honors ! I feel big part of its real joy came from the funny 2 leads Faith Ford and Kelly Ripa. True that I don't know how they selected Ripa as number 85 in FHM's "100 Sexiest Women in the World 2005" ! But the thing that I know too well is that Ripa and Ford both are so cute and vigorous on the screen, having a productive chemistry, looking interestingly idiot or honestly childish, and by their overacting they deliver hilarious performance. The rest of the cast wasn't that good but close. The scripts were surprisingly hitting the mark every time, I've never felt bored, and it managed to be unpredictable, for instance : How Faith is going to survive in the soap opera she had part in ? How Faith will do in the shop that she went to work at ?, and How Faith and Hope may do when they found themselves imprisoned in a supermarket ?, or unit to save Hope's daughter from some evil party ? By the way these episodes were memorable and top notch. It wasn't another sitcom on TV, albeit it seemed so. It was so nice sitcom despite any criticism. And it's a rare time to love a work with what are supposed to be its faults, or maybe love it because those very faults !

Better than I expected

Author: climbergirl117 from United States
20 January 2006

I had low expectations the first time I watched this show, but it has quickly become one of my favorites. Faith Ford and Kelly Ripa are perfect for their roles on "Hope & Faith". Hope (Ford) is a housewife/caterer whose sister Faith (Ripa), a soap opera actress, lives with her, as her career is pretty much dead. Her husband Charley (Ted McGinley) is a dentist, and is always in a friendly tiff with Faith. Older daughter Sydney (Megan Fox) is a mini Faith, and is the source of a few sarcastic yet funny lines. Middle child Hayley (Macey Cruthird) is the smartest of the bunch, and has the curliest hair I've ever seen. The only person I think does not fit in with the rest of the cast is the son Justin. The character would be fine, but Paulie Litt's look and timing are off (I'm not knocking a little kid's acting skills; I think they could have found someone better). It is also fun to see how the situations Hope & Faith get into play out. I would recommend this to anyone who likes a good laugh, or likes any of the cast.

*On a side note, I find it funny that their names are Hope and Faith, two values/qualities that have similar meanings. I also like that one character is named Faith, and the other is played by a Faith.

Awesome!

Author: samanthaspade_wat from United Kingdom
20 April 2005

I absolutely love this show! Every episode is hilariously awesome! I think Kelly does an amazing job of being Faith, she is so great to watch, and very funny. Not saying Faith Ford isn't - she's an amazing actress too! One of ABC's finest shows in my opinion. I have to say, Sydney isn't very convincing as a 14 year old though (or whatever she's meant to be). The old Sydney was played by a 25 year old, and it is so obvious, but she doesn't ruin it that much, and she is a great actress, though I prefer the new Sydney. Some of the best, funniest lines I've heard have come from this show, it's the sort of show that if you're feeling down or bored just switch it on and you're instantly smilie again!

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]