IMDb > You Got Served (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
You Got Served

You Got Served More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 25: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

It served a purpose

Author: trctyping from America
15 August 2004

It would appear that a lot of adults went to see this movie. All of the criticism is justified, but it wasn't meant for adults. If you losers saw the commercials, what on earth made you think there was going to be a plot..

Thats like going to Scary Movie 2 and expecting a Shakespearian masterpiece. It's a kids movie. Let's have a show of hands for the adults that like to watch BARNEY the TV series. OK, so why would you go to a movie that doesn't have any starring actors and is clearly about young teen dancers (look at the video cover...same as the poster ads). I took my child to see the movie and she liked it. We also talked about the importance of saying no to drugs and other attempted messages. Sure the plot was bad but this movie was in no way suppose to compete with Harry Potter. OK here's the movie plot... young dancers compete to win a dance contest, in the mean time they deal with teenage problems. This is a "young teen movie" not made for critical adults who are obviously to selfish to see if kids might like it. Guess what people, the movie was not made for you... If you don't know who B2K is ... then guess what... don't watch the movie....

Straight Street. How Street? Straight Hood.

Author: ElBastardo from Seattle
26 May 2004

This is the worst movie ever. Everything is wrong. Nothing makes sense. They don't practice? So they all just do the same thing at the same time by coincidence? Wow. What are the chances? David just rejoins the crew and is totally able to keep up? Of course. He's just a natural born dancer. It's in his blood to serve. Why do they all live in middle class suburbia? Isn't this supposed to be like a growing up in the hood movie? Why doesn't Elgian's sister have a ghetto accent? She sounds like a cornfed white girl.

And what's the deal with the directing? The camera shaking when they land?

You MUST be shrooming. How is the bad ass of this group of hardcore thugs a 10 year old? The 10 year old dies in a gun fight? Seriously, Chris Stokes, what were you thinking?

And the most disappointing part of this movie was the dancing. I was not expected Shakespeare. I wasn't even expecting Danielle Steele, but I thought at least the dancing would be good. Finally, in the last scene of the movie, they really start to dance. Up until then it's just kinda jiggly walking which is really more weird than impressive or cool. Why didn't they get real break dancers? It's not like the actors could act anyways.

However, if you want to know the truth, this movie had some very funny moments. Nothing that was actually supposed to be funny, but it was funny nonetheless. Still, I don't know if I could watch this movie more than two or three times, without my head exploding.

You Got Swerved

Author: DonFreidle (dfreidle@hotmail.com)
4 February 2004

The catchphrase to this move is:

If you want respect, you've got to take it?

Indeed, and let me add:

If you want a good movie, you've got to make it.

I did indeed get served. I big plate of PoopKababs.

I'm a big fan of the dancing. I spent many a night during my youth, glued in front of the tele, watching Solid Gold. Now that show had some dynamite dancing. And the costumes. Lordy! Lordy! Lordy! The dancing on this movie makes me think the choreographer was a 15 year old pimply faced chump named Herbert. Julia Styles is a better dancer than these kids. So is Urkel.

Would it have killed them to have some tap dancing? Maybe some Savion Glover? Now that dude can dance.

A plot line wouldn't have hurt either. Footloose is like Casablanca compared to this "film".

The only dancing I did, was on my way out of the theater, and into a better movie. ie. any movie.

Great dance scene!!!

Author: bebeics from Vienna
8 September 2014

I read so many reviews about how bad is this movie, how bad they act, blah blah blah. Okay they might not know how to act but in 2004 when I was in high school this movie rocked!! The dance performance is awesome and the way the movie starts...original!! So please STOP talking about the movie script and appreciate the dance scenes in this movie...

I really liked the movie and not to talk about the soundtrack, it's dope and for 2004 it's a great movie. And it's about friendship and what's happening actually...come on watch don't start watching it and hate it from the beginning...that won't work and I see on IMDb.com only negative/bad reviews about this movie which isn't relevant!

Oh for the love of .........

Author: jmkenola
8 August 2013

There is no amount of words that can describe how painful it is to watch this type of movie, I remember watching it on DVD with my friend who thought it's a very good film (and bashing the acclaimed Open Water DVD that I just bought). To say the least this movie is like a waste of time, it's like watching something out of an MTV show with dance music and cardboard cut ups of actors and actresses playing the part. This was just atrocious. People may say that the dancing is good but for those who like dancing I guess that isn't enough to redeem this film's value. I'd rather have my eyes poke if someone asked me to watch this flick again, I'd rather watch Batman and Robin all year long than to watch this flick again. Together with most of the mainstream Philippine Films this crap should be banned in the future.

Absolutely unbearable to watch. Horrible acting and dull dance sequences, sink this one.

Author: callanvass
11 March 2010

You Got Served is the epitome of watching someone scrape there nails on a chalkboard for 90 or minutes or so, that's how bad this felt. I expected the horrible acting, the typical "in the hood" talk, but I at least expected to be somewhat enthralled with some of the dance sequences, I got none of it. The characters are grating as well, I had trouble relating to any of them to be honest, while I had to listen to a pretty annoying soundtrack.

Bottom line. I got served alright, served with horrible acting, terrible screenplay, and an awful movie. Avoid, only recommend to die-hard dance fans, and even that's pushing it.

I was ill and maybe a little delirious when I watched this movie

Author: Angelus2 from United Kingdom
4 December 2008

Like I said on the summary I was a little delirious with a fever and so when I watched this movie I seemed to be enjoying it....I am a person who dislikes singers/rappers who turn to the movie industry and vow to become a movie star...Except Will Smith...He's beyond the mere heights of mortals...

I found the acting very bad....the script was bad....the plot was bad... and the actors....laughable....But I enjoyed the dancing...Again I must stress I was delirious...

Meagen Good was beautiful as always and kept the movie going however I would have liked to seen her get the lead role...

Rating: 1/10

Author: javman88 from United States
27 October 2008

This is not a movie to be honest. It's more like a dance video in the sense that the dance moves were very good, they're professionals so what would you expect. The plot, however, was less than impressive, it was ridiculous. But if I were to give an open minded view, then I guess the plot wasn't really 1 out of 10, but the acting made it all so, so bad.

It's a pity really, with the beautiful Jennifer Freeman and respectable Steve Harvey starring in a quite dismal set up all together. Omarion is an excellent artist, but I think he should stick to his music and dance.

In all honesty, a young child and think 'wow, they got skill', but even that young child would struggle to complement anything else.

To sum it up, I will say the good points about this movie are the dance moves. The bad points are everything else! Waste of time, don't watch it, just check the trailer for the dance, and go on youtube!

Loved by few, hated by many

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
22 March 2008

I got to see back to back hip hop dance movies, Stomp the Yard and now You Got Served. Now I liked Stomp the Yard, but I knew what to expect from You Got Served, it's been panned as one of the worst films of all time. But I had a bad attitude seeing this film, but you know what? I'm alright with this film. I'm not saying that it's good, but is it awful? No, I'm kinda in the gray area of this film where I don't love it, I don't hate it, I just think it's an alright film. I think people are just freaking out about it because naturally any film that has Lil' Kim or K-Fed in the titles, I mean, come on, it's insulting to our intelligence. But the acting wasn't horrendous, I was expecting so much worse, but it was believable enough to watch. The story is typical and predictable, but once again, it's tolerable, this is movie that I'm not sure so many people should just jump to hate.

David and Elgin are in a dance group together and they are the champions of their city. But when they are challenged by Wade, another group and they find out that one of their boys, Sonny, just spied on them and gave all their moves to Wade. They loose to them, but one night when El needs David for a job, David is out with El's sister and El gets beat up very badly. El ad David are on a non-speaking term, but when a little friend of their's is killed, they must pull together once again for the big dance contest up against Wade once again.

Like I said, this isn't a bad movie, You Got Served is just an alright film, I think it's watchable. I think people just jump so quickly on these movies because of it's theme, I also hate rap, I hate the rap society, I think it's disgusting how many sheep there are out there who try to act so "real" and "down with the hood", but You Got Served doesn't rub it in your face so much. I would recommend Stomp the Yard over this, but this is a watchable film, it's not too bad.

Did You Really Think It Was the Next "Good Will Hunting"?

Author: RagsWay from Pawtucket, RI
31 May 2004

When I first saw the previews for "You Got Served," warning bells went off in my head as soon as the word "B2K" was mentioned. In this day and age, the acting vehicles used by music entertainers to break into the acting business are less than satisfactory i.e. Britney Spears in "Crossroads" or Lance Bass in "On the Line."

Already I knew the plot, as well as the acting, would be shoddy. I waited until my friends went to see "You Got Served" before seeing the flick myself. According to them, the dancing was amazing and "Wade," the evil white rich kid, was hot and that his hotness was enforced by his cocky attitude and lack of screen time. By dancing more than he spoke Wade endeared himself to them, unlike Omarion, whose hot dance moves were overshadowed by his awful acting and atrocious kissing skills. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this film but I'm sure my enjoyment was thanks in part to my low expectations. If you watch this movie only expecting to see amazing dance routines, you'll probably enjoy it too. My friends and I just watched it again on DVD and fast forwarded through the entire thing, only stopping when Wade spoke and for the dance routines. As a movie "You Got Served" is subpar, but if you were in the mood to see some amazing dance movies then you should give this movie a shot.

Just fast forward through the acting and you'll be fine.