IMDb > You Got Served (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
You Got Served

You Got Served More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 25: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Straight Street. How Street? Straight Hood.

Author: ElBastardo from Seattle
26 May 2004

This is the worst movie ever. Everything is wrong. Nothing makes sense. They don't practice? So they all just do the same thing at the same time by coincidence? Wow. What are the chances? David just rejoins the crew and is totally able to keep up? Of course. He's just a natural born dancer. It's in his blood to serve. Why do they all live in middle class suburbia? Isn't this supposed to be like a growing up in the hood movie? Why doesn't Elgian's sister have a ghetto accent? She sounds like a cornfed white girl.

And what's the deal with the directing? The camera shaking when they land?

You MUST be shrooming. How is the bad ass of this group of hardcore thugs a 10 year old? The 10 year old dies in a gun fight? Seriously, Chris Stokes, what were you thinking?

And the most disappointing part of this movie was the dancing. I was not expected Shakespeare. I wasn't even expecting Danielle Steele, but I thought at least the dancing would be good. Finally, in the last scene of the movie, they really start to dance. Up until then it's just kinda jiggly walking which is really more weird than impressive or cool. Why didn't they get real break dancers? It's not like the actors could act anyways.

However, if you want to know the truth, this movie had some very funny moments. Nothing that was actually supposed to be funny, but it was funny nonetheless. Still, I don't know if I could watch this movie more than two or three times, without my head exploding.

You Got Swerved

Author: DonFreidle (dfreidle@hotmail.com)
4 February 2004

The catchphrase to this move is:

If you want respect, you've got to take it?

Indeed, and let me add:

If you want a good movie, you've got to make it.

I did indeed get served. I big plate of PoopKababs.

I'm a big fan of the dancing. I spent many a night during my youth, glued in front of the tele, watching Solid Gold. Now that show had some dynamite dancing. And the costumes. Lordy! Lordy! Lordy! The dancing on this movie makes me think the choreographer was a 15 year old pimply faced chump named Herbert. Julia Styles is a better dancer than these kids. So is Urkel.

Would it have killed them to have some tap dancing? Maybe some Savion Glover? Now that dude can dance.

A plot line wouldn't have hurt either. Footloose is like Casablanca compared to this "film".

The only dancing I did, was on my way out of the theater, and into a better movie. ie. any movie.

Not So Good.....

Author: Olajuwon Ayo-Omobo from Bowie, Maryland
20 August 2017

To it's credit, the dancing in this film is amazing, but it doesn't make up for how bad it really is. The plot is predictable, the acting is sloppy, the writing is beyond lousy and the editing is all over the place. This film focused more on choreography rather than trying to create a decent film. The only people who "Got Served" are the ones who had to watch this.

Stone Cold CLASSIC

Author: BoringBlackChick from London, United Kingdom
26 June 2017

This is the original and the BEST dance battle movie! Of course the story and acting are not great, but that's not what a movie like this is about; those aspects are incidental to a movie BURSTING with charm, electrifying battle scenes and a killer soundtrack. The whole cast were in their prime (and incredibly hot which never hurts) and the passion and love for their craft pours off the screen.

People are taking this movie WAY too seriously and are totally missing what it's all about. It's not meant to be a gritty commentary on ghetto life in LA. What it's meant to be is a fantastic celebration of the skill and passion and phenomenal force of nature that was organic street dance battling. This remains one of the most hugely influential aspects of African American culture. It changed the music industry forever, launched countless entertainment careers and spawned countless imitation "dance movies".

I'm not ashamed to say I LOVE THIS MOVIE and it will always be one of my all time favourites ever!!!

You will like this movie if you aren't a lame white person

Author: Nick Porter from United Kingdom
16 March 2017

No idea why this movie is rated so low...the dance battles are great and its a classic street dance movie that paved the way for much bigger movies like Step Up. If you are in your mid 20's and have no rhythm and listen to country music, this movie isn't for you. Just search up You Got Served dance battles on YouTube and you will see its mostly positive reviews by young adults/teens who know this movie is fun.

you got served

Author: Jay Q Saun from United States
3 June 2016

Stokes' official response to the breakup is posted on the T.U.G. Entertainment website, expressing his "shock": "They are like my sons, and I can't understand how, or why they would do this, but if the boys can hear my voice now, I want them to know that I love them and I wish them the best. Plus, I am surprised because they are still under contract with me. I love all of you and all of the fans out there. Please pray for B2K." The statement is actually longer than this, but the line about the contract creeps in at the end, a detail that, oh dear, must have slipped the minds of his erstwhile son-like clients. (Omarion, for his part, has retreated from initial upset at the walk-out, telling MTV News he'd like to "get back together" with the others, following his solo projects, because "I think people would enjoy it.") The tumult has certainly been immense for the famously enthusiastic B2K fans. This makes the film's rather weak representation of at least one source of tension -- Omarion getting all the attention -- something like the proverbial car wreck, simultaneously hard to see and hard to turn away from. At least the dance scenes supply their own, more potent, mini-dramas, so the rest of it becomes less salient.

Great dance scene!!!

Author: bebeics from Vienna
8 September 2014

I read so many reviews about how bad is this movie, how bad they act, blah blah blah. Okay they might not know how to act but in 2004 when I was in high school this movie rocked!! The dance performance is awesome and the way the movie starts...original!! So please STOP talking about the movie script and appreciate the dance scenes in this movie...

I really liked the movie and not to talk about the soundtrack, it's dope and for 2004 it's a great movie. And it's about friendship and what's happening actually...come on watch don't start watching it and hate it from the beginning...that won't work and I see on IMDb.com only negative/bad reviews about this movie which isn't relevant!

Oh for the love of .........

Author: jmkenola
8 August 2013

There is no amount of words that can describe how painful it is to watch this type of movie, I remember watching it on DVD with my friend who thought it's a very good film (and bashing the acclaimed Open Water DVD that I just bought). To say the least this movie is like a waste of time, it's like watching something out of an MTV show with dance music and cardboard cut ups of actors and actresses playing the part. This was just atrocious. People may say that the dancing is good but for those who like dancing I guess that isn't enough to redeem this film's value. I'd rather have my eyes poke if someone asked me to watch this flick again, I'd rather watch Batman and Robin all year long than to watch this flick again. Together with most of the mainstream Philippine Films this crap should be banned in the future.

Absolutely unbearable to watch. Horrible acting and dull dance sequences, sink this one.

Author: callanvass
11 March 2010

You Got Served is the epitome of watching someone scrape there nails on a chalkboard for 90 or minutes or so, that's how bad this felt. I expected the horrible acting, the typical "in the hood" talk, but I at least expected to be somewhat enthralled with some of the dance sequences, I got none of it. The characters are grating as well, I had trouble relating to any of them to be honest, while I had to listen to a pretty annoying soundtrack.

Bottom line. I got served alright, served with horrible acting, terrible screenplay, and an awful movie. Avoid, only recommend to die-hard dance fans, and even that's pushing it.

I was ill and maybe a little delirious when I watched this movie

Author: Angelus2 from United Kingdom
4 December 2008

Like I said on the summary I was a little delirious with a fever and so when I watched this movie I seemed to be enjoying it....I am a person who dislikes singers/rappers who turn to the movie industry and vow to become a movie star...Except Will Smith...He's beyond the mere heights of mortals...

I found the acting very bad....the script was bad....the plot was bad... and the actors....laughable....But I enjoyed the dancing...Again I must stress I was delirious...

Meagen Good was beautiful as always and kept the movie going however I would have liked to seen her get the lead role...