IMDb > You Got Served (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
You Got Served

You Got Served More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 25: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

call a spade a spade

Author: John T. Woods from los angeles
16 February 2004

a bad movie is a bad movie. no one should feel bad for anyone involved in this piece of work. the producers knew exactly what they making when the $8 million dollar budget was hooked to it. they also knew exactly who they were marketing it to. no one should say, "well, the dancing was good, so i give it a 8!" i don't know many people who watch bad films but rate them high because the costumes are well made. a bad movie is a bad movie. don't make excuses for them. the producers shot for a target market, and hit it. but they should be ashamed for making such a low quality film just because they knew kids could get $10 to $15 dollars from mom and dad to throw at the box office. the producers and filmmakers don't owe us a good attitude or friendly smiles but they do owe us their best work, and i have a tough time believing that this film represents their best work. it plays more like a last ditch attempt to draw attention towards b2k and imx, who no one cares about anyway.

The dancing was better than the acting.

Author: GhettoGirl26 from Vancouver, British Columbia
14 February 2004

The actors really can't act very well. I thought the dancing was way better than the acting. It wasn't my favorite movie. Maybe if the actors got some acting lessons, and changed the movie story line. If the movie was free to get into I still wouldn't see it again.

With a movie title like this, its no wonder that movies are going downhill.

Author: Nightchild7 from United States
5 December 2005

I think this film should have gone straight to video and I think I speak for everyone who saw this. It clearly demonstrates the lack of creativity and ingenuity in today's films. Never has a film title sounded so absurd and stupid; I mean You Got Served? With what? a foot in the A**? With a side of french fries with a burger? I can go on and on about cracking jokes on certain films, but that will have to do. I really do miss the golden age of movies since they didn't rely so heavily on sex, adult language, etc. They relied more on story and character development rather than overdose on special effects and corny dialog. Don't take this the wrong way; I love today's films such as The Matrix, Training Day, Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith, and Batman Begins, as well as others, but I feel many of them are rushed and not developed enough. Today's audiences want more than special effects and action, they want a more coherent plot and character development. Unfortunately, in the case of You Got Served and other films like it, it falls into the trap of half-baked film making.

The sad truth is that movies like this aren't going away anytime soon.

Crap Film

Author: mikeyblaze from United Kingdom
16 October 2005

The only good thing to come out of this film is the dancing in the very last battle. Apart from that the film is poor.

If you are wanting to find BBoy action and great BBoy music then i suggest you check out the real thing. There are plenty of worldwide competitions that produce DVDs and some of the moves are for real and do not look remotely fake compared to this film. Some competitions to look out for are; 'UK BBoy Championships','Battle of the Year' and 'Freestyle Session'.

Most films can be found on the internet so make use of google. Some DVDs to check out could be; 'The Freshest Kids' and some classics like 'Beat Street', 'Wild Style' and 'Style Wars'.

As I was saying this movie is crap.

It's a horror show!

Author: TheOtherFool from The Netherlands
15 September 2004

As a 'white kid' from Europe, who actually went to school, I'm probably not the target audience for You Got Served. But still, I have no trouble giving this film the triple B grade. Bad Beyond Belief.

Our protagonist of the movie is 'David', a character who doesn't work, doesn't go to school, and spends his days on the basketball court and his nights doing errands for his criminal boss. Not your perfect son-in-law, obviously. Still, young, beautiful and brainy (she wants to be a doctor) Liyah falls for him (why we will never know), but too bad as she is the sister of David's best friend, Elgin.

One day, while David takes his new girlfriend to a classy restaurant (McDondalds, that is), Elgin is beaten up by some punks, losing the business of his criminal boss. 'El' blames 'D' for messing it up apparently, and the guys are enemies until the big dancing finale.

Oops, didn't I mention that? This movie is about dancing, people. Our guys are in the best LA dancing crew, until rich snotty and mean white kid Wade and his gang comes in and claims their spot. Well, until that finale, that is.

A lot has been said about the racism in this movie, and although all the bad guys do seem to be white kids, I didn't think much of it. Except in the end, when Lil' Kim makes clear she wants the black group in her video. Quite disgusting, that scene.

So, how bad is it? It starts out with a good dancing sequence, but then goes down hill a long long time. The script and directing are that of a 10 year old, the acting hurt my eyes, while my ears got a beating from the 'slang' the cast used. The most irritating person in the movie though is 'La La', an MTV presenter (apparently), who's giving us all the 'ya alls' and 'dopeness' we can handle (and more!). A horror to watch really.

Although not a complete waste (thanks to some cool dancing moves), I can do no other thing than to end with: you got served, 'You Got Served'. There, I always wanted to say that. 2/10.

I too was served.

Author: Eric from Suffern, NY
28 July 2004

I would like to say that this movie was inspiring for me in changing my life for the better. Before this film, I was a 35 year old married man with two kids and a golden retriever named Phillip. Then, I saw this movie. Let me start off by saying that besides being entertaining (I have seen this film over twenty times), I decided that my life was mundane and boring and a change was necessary.

So, I moved out of the house and decided to follow my dream to become a dancer. My mother and all her friends had always said I was the best Macarena dancer at my Bar Mitzvah, and this just seemed appropriate. I am currently in the local theater production of "Jesus Christ Superstar", but a little bird is in my ear whispering "Broadway" as we speak. I feel great about my life for once, and we can all thank this movie.

One of the worst films out there

Author: Paullover007 (Paullover007@yahoo.com) from Longview, Texas
7 July 2004

This film was pointless. The plot was worthless and the characters were one dimensional. The movie was trying to be dramatic, but the acting was so bad that it made the film one of the worst ever. Instead of concentrating on the dance moves they should have concentrated on the story line, acting, and forming better characters. I don't see how anyone would like this film for any important reasons. They might like it for the music, dance movies, guys in it, and maybe just because every one in their teens have seen it. That is really the only group of people that would watch the film in the first place. I can't even see how they got that big of an audience to see the film, This film is one of the worst and isn't respected or watched for the right reasons.

funny but a waste of time

Author: from Ontario, California
6 July 2004

the only redeeming part of this movie was the dance moves and beautiful. the acting was horrible. the lines were stupid. throughout the movie i was thinking, what kind of idiot did they get to write the dialogue? don't watch it if you're looking for a movie with substance. Yeah and they made the wrong people say the wrong lines. Like they made the white guys say all thuggishly, "You just got served." It definitely sounded all wrong. I mean c;mon, have a black guy say it, not a 20 year old blonde, metrosexual, white man. Oh and so you just wont waste time watching it, the only good part was when that girl asked Omarion if he liked her... that was the funniest part, sad huh?

Greatest/Worst Movie of All-Time

Author: Brad Moehlman (Squintsmcgee22@aol.com) from Apple Valley, Minnesota
3 July 2004

I'll just list some things that bothered me during this movie:

-the line "you guys were off the chain tonight"...honestly what does that mean

-the lack of fathers throughout the movie, to be fair to black people (not all black children are fathered illegitimately)

-Steve Harvey's roll as Mr. Rad was far too underplayed

-the best dance scene was done by a rival group, and they ended up losing

-this was the most stereotypical movie of black people I've ever seen, it ran through a constant sequence of: dancing, basketball, girls, fried chicken, selling illegal contraband, and the ever apparent lack of money)

Wow

Author: bidiak from Boston, MA
20 May 2004

So I didn't think there could be a movie bad enough to knock out Battlefield Earth from the top of my personal all time worst movies list. Now before I go any further I have to say that the moves were SICK. At the end of the movie the 'Matrix' move had me out of my seat.

Now if they didn't say or do anything else through the whole 90 minutes of movie it just may have been 'almost OK'. But the so-called 'acting' was about on par with the so-called 'plot' - undeniably the worst I've ever seen. There is no explanation for about half the plot points, some of the worst dialog I have ever heard, no type of character development and no believable chemistry in the romance. It's like The two new 'Star Wars' movies. I could believe that George Lucas wrote and directed it, except there aren't enough digital characters.

Meagan, Meagan, Meagan.... I reeeeeally hope that D.E.B.S. is good because along with 'Biker Boyz' and 'Ride or Die' you have been in my three worst movies this year....

There are 2 reasons why I wasted time and money watching this movie:

As a kid I loved 'Breakin' and I thought that this movie would have that kind of fun and energy. Also South Park dedicated a whole episode to ripping this film and I didn't believe that it could possibly be that bad.... Trey and Matt I was soooo wrong.

Don't waste your time or money with this movie. Go find yourself a Missy Elliott video or three and you'll get the same dancing satisfaction without the nasty aftertaste.