IMDb > You Got Served (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
You Got Served

You Got Served More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 25: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Good dance movie

Author: nicegal211 from United States
28 June 2008

I think a lot of the people who commented on this movie before me were way too harsh. This is a teenage dance movie. If your not a teenager or into dance your not gonna get into it. Granted SOME of the script wasn't that great but I thought the basic heart of the story was good. I really don't get why all you people go out of your way to pick a movie apart. This is not some boring life affirming drama,this movie is for fun! So take it like that enjoy the fairy tale where everything works out and get a life.

Another thing,you have got to be kidding me with all the comments about bad acting,they were not that bad! The only time I found them bad was when the script made them say stupid crap. Oh and about them acting all "thug" like,are you serious?! Do you people even know any teenagers? ANY? Black white whatever? That is how they talk! Its not exaggerated!

The dancing was the best part...

Author: TIFFDATBABE1516 from Brookhaven, Pennsylvania
10 April 2004

I saw this movie twice, I mean the acting was the worst thing I had ever seen. I love the dancing, me and all my friends did, but the concept was stupid. First of all what makes them think that people would even believe they could be drug dealers, you in a group called "B2k" which means boys 2000, you just another commercial boy group, nothing hard about that. The street dancing make you hype, and what not, but all in all this movie, acting and concept wise, was horrible, and wasn't really worth the money I paid to see it.

My generation likes it because they are a group that everyone loves, but the truth is they need acting classes. All my friends said the acting was crap. I like the group hated their performance.

I couldn't stand it.

Author: Videoman-4 from Indiana
1 April 2004

I don't right too many comments. Not unless I feel strongly about a movie.

This movie has to take out a "STAR" loan to bring it up to a one-star movie!!

It's truly in negative numbers.

I couldn't give it a one in good conscience.

The dancers are obviously talented, but that doesn't mean you should make a movie.

Make a dancing video instead!

This could have been boiled down to a half hour video and it would be alright.

Low And Behold, This Film Was Terrible

Author: waiching liu from London, England, UK
20 October 2007

I like watching people dance well and I like some R'n'B and Hip Hop music, but where films involving elements of dancing are concerned, acting and a good script are also the key to a good dance-orientated movie. An example of this would be 'Save The Last Dance' starring Julia Stiles and Sean Patrick Thomas. Now that was a relatively good film that combined good choreography with some decent acting, particularly on the part of the two leads.

You Got Served, on the other hand, does not have those elements which 'Save The Last Dance' has, as rather whereas the dance moves were flashy and quite impressive to watch, the acting, dialogue and performances are, in contrast, painstakingly dreadful. Clearly, this film is and was produced and aimed at a young, black audience, but even still it doesn't excuse the somewhat 'laughable' acting and bad dialogue that accompanies this mess. This film was cringing to watch and the predictability of the plot and narrative underlines this. Two guys square off against each other, one has a crush on a girl, two guys go into battle, the guy gets the girl, they all live happily ever after, the end. Typical. There was nothing different in this film that we haven't remotely seen before attempted in many other films of this type.

Btw, that girl that was in that Damon Wayans sitcom, 'My Wife and Kids' is in this flick, but she is nothing more than eye candy for the guys and with very little in the way of dialogue to work with.

It would've been understandable if this was a pure out and out music vid, but as a film, You've Got Served, other than the dance moves, has rarely any redeeming features worth shouting about from the rooftops. I only saw this film on DVD out of interest to see whether it was worth the money (I didn't buy it btw)- and yet it was one of the most awful movies I have watched. I am glad I watched it because if I hadn't watched it and said it was awful, then I would've judged the film based on what others have negatively said alone. Usually with bad films, you'd give up at the half way point, but I watched and stuck with You've Got Served' in its entirety, hoping in the belief that the movie would get better but it didn't. There were moments where i'd end up laughing because even though this is supposed to be a drama and a serious film with some light moments thrown in, I couldn't help but chuckle at times at how bad this was.

The dance moves save this movie from me giving this a lowly one star, but nevertheless with the film and the performances itself, they couldn't dance its way to a 8 or 9 star rating, never mind out of a brown paper bag.

For die-hard fans of B2K and hip hop dance-based movies only.

How can you consider this a movie?

Author: highkite from Canada
7 June 2006

I didn't expect much from a movie starring the 'boyz' from B2K, but I never expected it to be THIS bad! To even classify this as a movie is complete and utter shame. The movie features one of (if not THE) worst scripts ever written. The dialogue is a disaster, sounding as if they decided to put every single 'thug' catchphrase in one movie. The plot literally makes From Justin to Kelly look superior. You can actually see the forced motivation each character exhuberates in each scene, and certain scenes are either missing or just left out for the sake of being one big hollow road.

The story is centered around some 'hoodlums' who decide to enter a dance competition to both win money and keep their own pride. It's Bring It On meets Boyz 'n' Da Hood! You just don't mix those two movies.... ever! So now we have a very predictable problem: The group members argue and eventually split up, thus having trouble practicing for the big finale. Well suddenly, with minimal practice, they get out on the stage and perform a 'thug' cheerleading dance that wows the whole crowd. Well I suppose if you forgive and forget you can learn a routine in about a day or so! It's complete tripe! The acting is without a doubt one of the worst I've ever seen. The white 'thug' almost made me tear up from laughing as he delivers what's supposed to be a tough and gangster performance. Give me a break, it's like watching Bill Gates scaring 50 Cent.

From beginning to end, the movie almost makes an attempt at being bad. The director gets together a bunch of wannabe dancers and shoots from every angle possible. Then literally splices all the pieces together to make one remarkably disjointed scene after another. Some scenes look as though they don't even belong in the movie. For example, when Omarion (I think that's who it is) feels sad and goes out in the rain, dancing to (wow) a Black Eyed Peas song. It was like watching one of his music videos, only thrown into a perfectly bad movie. Sympathy grows (?) as he and his best friend both dance in a montage that would make Eisenstein sick to his stomach, jumping from one shot to another as if they lost track of time and decided to film it any way possible.

Once the movie is done, it leaves you with absolutely no feeling. You walk out of the room or theater or airplane even? asking yourself what the point of that 1.5 hour music video was. I'll admit some of the dance moves were pretty impressive, but who cares? It's a movie, not a Michael Jackson reunion.

The movie is what I'd call the biggest rip off in the history of cinema, stealing scenes from movies such as Bring it On, Every gangster movie ever made, and dare I say even Shawshank Redemption (see: the rain scene). It almost makes you wonder how someone can pull off such a horrible job.

I'd give it 0/10 but since IMDb forbids it, I'll have to give it a 1... Much more than it deserves.

Heartwarming tale of two young inner city males who fall in love

Author: devilsreject1981 from United States
20 September 2005

I seriously wasn't expecting such a sweet story about gay rappers just trying to express their love in a world full of hate. They were two beautiful for this world and the Ku Klux Klan couldn't handle that. If you loved Mississipi Burning and Philadelphia, this movie is for you. After the main dance off their sexual tension goes insane and they finally make love the way two gangsters should. You really pull for them and hope that boys in the hood can find love too. Awwww.... snap, You just got served! Two brilliant cameos include Ralph Macchio and Ben Affleck. Ben Affleck plays the homosexual Klan leader whose wife won't touch him anymore. He finds solace in the arms of Steve Harvey.

The worst movie I've seen in years!

Author: heatherw24 from United Kingdom
9 July 2007

I wish I'd read the reviews on here before I wasted 2 and a half hours of my life watching this film when it was on TV last week... Just thought I'd warn any other unsuspecting people, so that they don't make the same mistake I did!

It's bad.... the acting is bad... the plot is bad/non-existent... the dancing is good, but then, that only makes up about 15 minutes of the movie, and the other 2 hours and 15 minutes is just painful!

Don't do it! And I'm not just saying that because I'm the kind of person who only enjoys deep and meaningful movies... I wasn't expecting it to be an Oscar-deserving epic, but it's not even close to being watchable! Seriously, don't do it!

If you have a chainsaw and some time...

Author: anderjm from United States
2 February 2005

Given how bad this movie is, if you have an hour and a half or so to kill and a chainsaw, go ahead and cut off some of your limbs. It will be less excruciating. This movie seems like a dress rehearsal that was unedited and shown after one take. Go ahead and watch some break dancing movies to get the only entertainment value in the movie. And if you hate montage sequences, then you'll probably want to put a bullet in your brain and the brain of everyone involved in creating the film, though it seems inconclusive that any of those involved have any mental facilities whatsoever. I wish it was possible to give out zeroes, because I think that giving this movie any credit is ridiculous. Honestly, if you are reduced to watching this movie, as I was, you live a sad and pathetic life.

Bad acting

Author: krazy_problem_child100 from United Kingdom
1 July 2007

This is is terrible!!From the beginning to the end is just horrible. The bad acting,and predictable storyline is just repetitive. Yet again Jennifer Freeman manages to show she has no acting ability whatsoever.In fact no could really act Omarion and B2k performance was horrible to watch,when the little boy died i was laughing not because he died,it was because of their reactions were to it. The dancing was very good if only they never opened their mouths. The bad acting was hard to get over i found myself laughing thinking how could someone film this train wreak and expect success?? Very very boring and predictable. Not recommendable

Don't serve anymore of this goop

Author: view_and_review from California
12 January 2007

I pretty much would have to concur with everyone who has given this movie a poor rating and/or a poor review. If this movie just modeled itself after previous urban dance films, ala "Breakin" and "Beat Street", and just be a fun simple movie with good dance moves and great music, then "You Got Served" would have been alright. But this movie took itself waaay to seriously and tried to bring a heavy yet absurd plot to make the audience feel something and they left it up to terrible teenage actors to do it too. Get real. The acting was horrendous and the story was overdone. Memo to writer/director/production cast: keep dance films starring teens simple. The acrobatic dance moves and upbeat music is all that prevented me from giving this movie a 1 rating.