IMDb > You Got Served (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
You Got Served

You Got Served More at IMDbPro »

Page 16 of 25: [Prev][11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [Next]

Terrible Movie ... GREAT choreography

Author: Angel (anela19) from Melbourne, Australia
2 October 2004

Well I'd have to say that as whole this film sucked. The plot was lame, the storyline was bad, the direction was awful, and the acting was probably the worst I have seen.

I was particularly disappointed with the extremely wooden acting by Jennifer Freeman who usually does a great job as the older daughter Claire Kyle in "My Wife And Kids". In "You Got Served" she looked extremely uncomfortable playing the role of Liyah. It seems she is much better at playing a clean cut daughter of a suburban upper-middle class family, than the daughter of a working class single parent.

However there is ONE reason why I would still go and buy this movie on DVD - the dance scenes. The choreography was off the hook. At the end of the movie, although we were totally bagging the film out ... my friends and I were pumped up enough to want to go find a club to have a dance battle in.

I think I'd give the movie 1/5, and the choreography 5/5

I am sorry......

Author: kimlee-4 from louisiana
7 September 2004

I am sorry that I wasted my time and money to watch this movie. Granted I was not expecting a cinema classic but a plot would have been nice. Let's give credit where credit is due though. The dancing one word......amazing. But that is where it ends.

Watching this movie made me feel like I was taking a sightseeing tour with an ADD tourguide. One word for the writer of this movie......Ridlin. I hear it does wonders for your concentration. The plot had so many holes in it I wondered if Mr. Stokes kept forgetting that he was writing a movie. The main reason I watched the film is because I had heard that was unlike any other dance film out there. I mean come on how many other films have their actors dancing in the rain and water? Well let's see Flashdance, Footloose, Dirty Dancing, etc... And this movie had inner struggles for the characters just like EVERY other dancing movie.

Warning spoilers ahead (Trust me, read the spoilers bypass the movie it will be a better use of your time). What I can't understand is how Elgin's sister got into Princeton yet she couldn't afford to go. Isn't her older brother the one that just came up with 5 grand to enter a dance challenge that they lost anyway? I mean come on, he doesn't even have a job. Except for dealing what I suppose are drugs (but we are not sure since Stokes never fully explained it) for a biggie wanna-be. And what about 'LiL' Saint. He gets killed while he is riding around with his friends and their car gets sprayed. The boy is like 8 years old. What 8 year old hangs around with kids old enough to have a car? Basically they just killed off a kid so they would have some reason for El and David to get back together to win the competition. Cause I could see no other reason for the two to ever remain friends. Call me crazy but if my friend leaves me high and dry and I get the snot beat out of me it would take more than dance competition for me to forgive him.

All in all I will give this movie a 2 out of 10. Personally I would have rathered Mr. Stokes skipped the plot and just made a 2 hr music video because the dancing and the music is the only thing that helped this movie.

Poor Acting, Bad Story, Great Choreography

Author: DELAWARETERROR from United States
20 August 2004

This movie had poor acting. It also had horrible flow through scenes. The storyline was pretty bad also. Obviously what made this movie was the dancing. And the choreography was unbelievable. If you've ever danced in a hip hop class. Or any other difficult course you know where I'm coming from. If your a good dancer the Movie is worth buying. For the only fact that you can pause and rewind nice pop-n-locks or usher glides. Here are some similar movies to look for if your in to dancing. 1-Honey, Jessica Alba (2003). 2-Dirty Dancing (you'll learn some stuff)1987. 3-Pulp Fiction. 4-Dirty Dancing Havana Nights and. 5-American Wedding (one word Stiffmeister) -JR

low grade dance film

Author: Roland E. Zwick (magneteach@aol.com) from United States
12 August 2004

`You Got Served' harkens back to those films from the ‘80s like `Breakin' and `Beat Street,' low budget jobs aimed at devotees of competitive street dancing, a niche market if ever there was one. `You Got Served' demonstrates that while the dance moves may have advanced in style and sophistication in the past twenty years, the plotting certainly hasn't kept up with the pace. In this film, a popular LA dance crew from the ‘hood is challenged to a $5,000 showdown by a rival crew from, of all places, Orange County. Add to this a dash of gang violence, a dollop of puppy-love romance and an MTV-sponsored competition finale and you have the makings of a pretty standard youth-must-be-served flick.

A movie like `You Got Served' clearly exists for its dance sequences and little else. The choreography is fine, I guess, but without an interesting story to effectively tie the routines together, even the dancing becomes tedious after awhile. If you can look beyond the dull story and amateurish acting, you may enjoy `You Got Served.' Otherwise, it's a loser's bet all the way.

"Contains emotional intensity"

Author: monkey_fighter from Liverpool, England
12 July 2004

The only intense emotion i felt about this film was the desire to perform an emergency blood pressure decrease via the arteries in my wrist.

"A film about dancing!" they thought "That'll be amazing!!!" No, just no.

Thats all you need to know about this film, no "strong language", no "sex/nudity" just plain old-fashioned intense emotions just like my momma used to have.

Reviewed in one word: Lacking .....emotional intensity, i'll give those studio execs intense emotions all the way to the bank, i don't know where i'm going with this but i just hate the film sooo much. i ain't even watched the damn thing, i just saw the advert 60 times.

If you want intense action watch A Beautiful Mind, if you wanted comedy watch Sophie's Choice and if you want Drama watch Weekend at Bernies 2 but please just do not watch this film.

Fin.

Another sign that Western civilization has already passed its cultural pinnacle.

Author: (jerfleming) from Toronto, Ontario
12 July 2004

Let me start off by saying that this movie contains some of the most creative and mind-blowing dance sequences I've ever seen. I'm not a big fan of dancing, but even I was floored by the awesome kinetic impact of the choreography. There were no special effects assisting the dancers, but many moves seemed like they belonged in the Matrix.

This is where my praise ends....

The rest of this heap of tripe seems like it was written by 13-year-olds FOR 13-year-olds. 13-year-olds with ADD that is. I would really like to meet the producers who read this script and said "Yup, looks good to me, here's 15 million dollars." Between the numerous pointless plot developments (I use the word 'plot' loosely), all the loose ends, the confusing editing, the abysmal acting and the anti-climactic ending, this film...er, movie....is just one big mess. It's crap like this that makes our youth look like slobbering inbred idiots. I need to wash my brain.

Good dancing . And thats about it

Author: knowledge from England
3 July 2004

This film is really just a badly acted , overlong music video with bits of A-B-C , 1-2-3 plotting and self explanatory dialogue thrown in.

The overall corniness of you got served ensures that the only enjoyment you'll get out of it is from the dance sequences which are excellently choreographed and well shot .These dances contain feats of acrobatics and contortionism that defy belief and will make your jaw drop to the floor.

Apart from the amazing dance sequences though , there isn't much else to enjoy here unless you like poorly written and badly acted films .

Weak.

Where I come from we call that a mistake

Author: No Way from Confederate States of America
14 June 2004

In the good old CSA, I woulda called this movie a mistake. A waste of money I think. It had no plot, acting, or really elements of film at all. It's really a shame good IL John Wayne didn't live to teach these fellers a thinge er two about the movies, for instance, film is a valued thing and it should not be wasted. I think that what this movie could have used was an element that made it not look like a two hour muzak video. I've seen about every movie on the IMDb top 250 list and I think that this movie is totally a contradiction of what Francis Ford Coppola, Quentin Tarantino, and Akira Kurosawa have achieved over the years. As a final statement, I don't really know if this movie should be on the bottom 100 list because honestly I don't quite consider it a movie.

Great Dancing, but they should fixed everything else.

Author: playstation2100 from Las Vegas, Nevada
6 June 2004

You got Served is a bad film with nice dancing. When Wade, a rich kid from Orange County beats David & Elgin's unbeatable crew it goes off on a silly road filled with mostly poor dialogue & a bad plot. I have to admit that I liked the dancing & I liked it a lot. If this movie had been nothing but dancing, it would have been better than this. B2K's Marques Houston & Omari Grandberry show they can really dance as well as sing, but they really can't act. Steve Harvey is good because he tries to teach them lessons on how to become better & not to give up & is very inspirational. They are a few lines of dialogue that are good. A few of them are played for laughs & work, but it's a movie with a bad plot, bad script, mostly bad acting, mostly bad dialogue with nice dancing. Rent this movie on DVD & watch the dancing & fast forward through everything else.4/10

A disgrace for both races!

Author: HATED_IT from Massachusetts
31 May 2004

I was embarrassed when I asked the clerk at the video store if he had this movie. But me and my friend wanted to see what all the hype was about, after this got the #1 spot on the worst 100 list. Is it the worst movie of all time? No. Is it a bad movie? Absolutely. The film starts with a long dance scene and takes a while to get to any dialouge. All the dance moves are similar, and all seem extremely, for lack of a better word, ''flamboyant''. The camera work is nauseating, most of the shots were awful, and a lot of the time the camera just spun around, giving me a headache. There are a few good acting performances, but they were out shined by the razzie worthy acting, that the majority of the cast gave, in particular Christopher Jones, the leader of the O.C. crew, who's performance is so awful that it isn't even laughable, and is just downright annoying. The awful screenplay, done by the films director, Christopher B. Stokes, must have been a pain to spell check since every other word is, ''dat'', ''dis'', or ''y'all''. Stoke's characters are incredibly shallow, so it's hard to feel any emotion for anyone in the film, when Lil Saint was shot to death, I laughed out loud. All the characters are disgraces to their respected (our previously respected) races. The films only redeeming quality is, that it is funny for all the wrong reasons. If you and you're friends are looking for some good laughs, I would recommend this as a rental. I give it a 4/10.