IMDb > You Got Served (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
You Got Served

You Got Served More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 25:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

you can't make this stuff up

Author: cleveland_steamers from United States
28 May 2005

Sometimes, you can say "That movie was so bad it was funny." When you say that about You Got Served, you really mean it. This movie had me laughing beginning to end, and just when you think it can't get any more ridiculous, it does. The movie starts with a 1-2 punch of stupidity. Everyone is at a crowded warehouse with a boxing ring. But they're not fighting; they're dancing. And they're serious. If that isn't funny enough, it is followed by "the kitchen scene." Ben Stiller wishes he could have dialogue this awkward. I was in pieces by this point. But as the plot thickens, it only gets better. We meet Lil' Saint, who is about 8 years old and probably curses more than anybody else in the movie. And then dies in a drive-by? I don't think I've ever laughed harder at a child's death than when I heard, "Lil' Saint got shot! He was ridin' with Lanky and Bug, and some dude sprayed the car!" We get a glimpse of the hard-knock (aka middle class) life that forces L and D to move drugs just so their family can buy them a new outfit every day. After they get served by the upper-middle class OC kids and D leaves L hangin' so he can mac it with L's sister, they learn that their new crews can win $50,000 if they serve every other crew in LA. (See, 50 G's split among 10 crew members is enough to change their lives.) Which leaves them with one obvious thing to do: the Rocky montage. And keep in mind: THEY ARE SERIOUS. On the Big Day, the dance-off ends in a tie between L's crew and the OC crew, so Lil' Kim lets them settle it the way she likes it: "straight hood." The movie climaxes with the chant of "Served, Served, Served" and I have nearly pi$$ed my pants laughing. I recommend that everybody download You Got Served. You will be quoting it for weeks. The only question I have is how they ever got Steve Harvey to do this movie.

A waste of time and money

Author: tharts_good_tubuli from Australia
13 October 2004

I only saw this movie because my friend asked me to go and i haven't seen her for a long time. This movie was just plain BAD! the acting was as bad as the plot. It was so predictable and clichéd. *SPOILER* You got served has no emotion. I ended up not caring who won the competition, and when one of the only good characters dies, I didn't feel sad at all. The dancing was a GREAT, but got a little repetitive. Over all, this movie was a waste of money, to me and the poor people who made it. The only good part was when my friend and i threw popcorn at each other.

Momentous bomb

Author: DashTheGreat from United States
13 July 2006

Let me place "You Got Served" into retrospect: In order to watch it, I had to wipe it off of my shoe. This movie follows the same old idiocy that every other inner-city "drama" (haha) follows. They have that stupid inner city struggle and we're supposed to feel sorry for them. Boo hoo. You Got Served is almost unwatchable, but you will be laughing hysterically: I promise you that. Then again, I would not recommend wasting your cable bill on such excrement.

Save yourselves! When You Got Served came out in 2004, a dark shadow was cast across the land. People pointed and ran for their lives. Some few brave souls attempted to make themselves believe that this flick was watchable through their own delusions, but all of them cracked under the pressure. You Got Served would turn Luke Skywalker to the dark side. You Got Served would cause Jack Bauer to build nuclear weapons for terrorists and set them off himself.

Do not, for any reason, attempt to watch You Got Served. It may destroy itself. Then again, I doubt anybody sells this movie anymore. They may steal it, on the other hand, and be faced with a punishment far worse than prison.

2/10 Good dancing! I danced too when it made me run away.

Great Dancing, Horrible Film

Author: trenee73 from United States
31 August 2006

The only thing worth watching in this movie is the dancing. Other than that, the actors in this film couldn't act their way out of a paper bag and the grandmother was really bad. Hell, everybody was just bad.

The great thing is that K-Fed has a cameo in this one (LOL! Probably the highlight of his career).

There was nothing at all original about this film. It stole elements from every break dancing or rapping movie that ever came out in the '80's and it was executed and acted out horribly. This was "Breakin' 2", "Fast Forward," "Rappin,'" and "Beat Street" all wrapped into one but, really, really bad.

I think the cast of this film should consider taking acting classes before accepting another movie or TV role ever again in life. And the writer and director needs to work on his skills as well. The writing and directing was awful and lazy. I want to slap the person who read this screen play and thought it was good.

And that scene where Elgin gets jumped was way beyond lame.

I just wonder if people read the script and realized how bad the movie is before it is put in production. Obviously not. I just think about all the starving people in the world that could have been fed with that money instead of making this crappy movie. I'm sure after it was screened, the cast looked at and thought, "Ok, this is pretty bad." They should feel embarrassed for signing on for this. But then, none of them are top-billed or skilled actors to begin with so maybe they wouldn't know what a crappy script is.

Surely people have to see how bad a bad movie is when they look at the script.

There's some energetic dancing that's worth watching, but the film needs a better screenplay. (1/2 * out of * * * *)

Author: Frank Rizzo from United States
4 December 2005

You Got Served (2004) has some of the best dancing sequences ever choreographed. They are so energetic, with the rap music pumping in the background. The problem is the film needs a better screenplay.

The movie tells the story of two friends, Elgin and David (Marques Houston, and Omarion), who are leaders of the best dance crew in street dancing. They battle other dancers for both money and respect. But another popular group of dancers defeats them in one round after a member betrays them, and joins the other gang, although it is not clearly explained why. And Elgin and David's friendship is put to the test, when David begins dating Elgin's sister, Liyah (Jennifer Freeman).

There is even a subplot about a younger dance member, who gets an early grave, though I felt he, nor his death added nothing new to the story, except to inspire the heroes to name their group after the kid's street name.

Writer/Director Christopher B. Stokes simply cannot write, nor direct. I doubt this film even had a screenplay. Stokes relies on clichés to keep the film at a full movie length. There's the obligatory white rapper wannabes being considered as the enemies, and there's the overprotective brother who looks after his sister.

"You Got Served" is not the worst movie of the year, but it will make my personal bottom list of 2004. Forget the dialogue, forget the plot, and just enjoy the energetic dancing. Or better yet, don't waste your time with this one.

what the hell does "you got served" mean?

Author: thirwell from bristol
28 June 2004

possible spoilers

this movie left me with lot of questions.

where are everyone's parents? why is steve harvey the only father figure? what is jakee doing in a movie? the house looked better than mine, as did the cell phones, clothes and shoes - why do those kids need money? how does that one guy have a car if he has no money? what are they "delivering"? newspapers? are these kids in high school? do they have jobs? why are most of the white people evil? why, in a movie who's central premise is dancing, is most of the dancing so boring? what's with the plot holes? what's up with the cheesy as hell montages? lil saint is alive one day and dead the next - where did everyone get their "lil saint" gear? is there a lil saint store? why is lil kim in a movie intended for anyone under 18? did it occur to anyone that reciting lines in front of a camera is not acting?

oh the cliches - to numerous to count. i'm beginning to think there really is a cliche handbook.

i gave this movie a 2. only because as bad as it was, it was still better than matrix revolutions.

What would Wagner think?

Author: Numan Parada from Tujunga, California, USA
21 February 2005

"Wait, you don't mean Richard Wagner, I hope!?" The guy who wrote Tannhauser, Lohengrin, and Ring Cycle (Rheingold, Valkyrie, some forgettable romp after Valkyrie, and Gotterdammerung)? Yes, sorry, but I do mean THAT Richard Wagner. What would he think of films today? He never lived to see the medium rise to its full glory; but by today's cinematic standards, if he wanted to do one, what could stop him? Imagine him writing scripts, composing film scores, and perhaps producing and directing. With his lofty imagination and desire to fuse drama and music with meaningful tact, his films would be unparalleled!

"But Wagner has nothing to do with this tawdry excuse of a 'movie'! What's the point?" Well, while watching this, I remembered recently reading a short parody of The Valkyrie that attempts to summarize the opera's complex story. It was quite funny, but if I didn't know the opera's music and lacked firsthand knowledge of plot points, the humor would have been lost. This "movie" felt much like a short, watered-down, and generally hilarious parody of an otherwise memorable opera. The only problem is that You Got Served is not based on a memorable opera... or anything else! It is very much its own film, and yet the film has this urgent need to feel complete.

Chris Stokes, a band-manager-turned-filmmaker as is the current zeitgeist, writes and directs this laughable exercise in movie-making. I bet he comes from the music video tradition, since the "movie" exploits fast cuts, faster girls, jarring edits (EDIT: The editing in this film was atrocious!), and loud music, all for the sake of promoting a musical act. I hope this experience teaches him that films and music videos do not equate. Films are longer and require much more care.

He didn't think his screenplay through. Its numerous faults include blatant stereotypes, poor exposition (more than once did I see the need for several scenes to be condensed; plot holes were abundant), repetition (Stokes greatly wants to remind us that our protagonists owe money), deus ex machina (Grandma has some backup cash; forgettable friend learns about a major dance contest; "Mr. Rad" getting our "heroes" out of a fine mess with some gang), trite dialog (I could swear that, at one point, it looked as though Steve Harvey badly wanted to say a comeback to some comment made to him, but NOOOOO! The script apparently had other plans!), the sacrificial lamb (in the form of "Lil' Saint". Telling.), and the obligatory "romance" (the film's two resident lovebirds are no Tristan and Isolde, let me tell 'ya).

Nor did he think his casting through. Musical acts don't necessarily make actors. (Mariah Carey paid dearly for not understanding this.) Not one the young "actors" in this film showed any conviction in their roles. The film exemplifies two types of bad acting: One coming from good actors muddled in bad roles (Harvey and a few of the token adults fit this) and another coming from bad actors relishing in awful roles (which this film has in spades).

Boy, did I get served! This is required viewing if you want to learn how NOT to make a film. Wagner would be ashamed of such a hackneyed fusion of "music" and "drama." If he was alive to see this... thing, he would never stop vomiting. Honestly, his oral discharges would be far more entertaining than this act of cinematic terrorism.

Piece of sh*t to the extreme!

Author: PurplePanther from United States
30 May 2005

Honestly, I've thrown this title around a lot, but no other film is more deserving then this piece of crap, this is "The Worst Movie I Have Ever Seen". The plot is complete garbage. It's not even the fact that it's cliché, it's the fact that if the writers of this film were going to use the cliché, they could of at least laid off the pot long enough to finish writing the script. It is complete nonsense. This film seems to have been made with a child's milk money. Sadly, Jennifer Freeman and Marquis Houston go momentarily comatose and forget they have any prior acting skills. I mean WTF!? Nobody in this film can act, not a SINGLE person. (Maybe Megan Good and she is barely in the film). I am so spent on this film, there is nothing else I can say to explain to you what a steaming pile of vile trash this film is. PLOT/STORY = Garbage, ACTING = Garbage, CHARACTERS = Garbage, DIALOG = Garbage. Save your money and your time, this film is terrible.

worst movie ever

Author: coreyg069 (coreyg069@hotmail.com) from United States
23 April 2006

this movie is without question the worst I have ever seen in my life. my girlfriend at the time (now my ex) convinced me that we should go see this movie in the theaters and I was severely irritated. I was furious that I spent $7 apiece for tickets to this steaming load. I was so mad at her for this, but that's besides the point.

the point is that the plot to this movie is so awful that it's comical. the acting is so laughably bad that for a moment I thought perhaps this was all just a big joke. however, a little further into the movie I realized that they were in fact being serious and trying to take themselves seriously as an actor. the director made such poor attempts at subtlety that all that he ends up doing is creating confusion and awkward situations where the characters suppose the audience understands what is going on, when in fact the transitions between scenes are vague and leave out important plot details.

this movie is a joke. truly it is a dark point in cinematic history.

Painful To Watch

Author: BenMTOS from United Kingdom
21 July 2007

This is one of the worst films I've had the misfortune to see. And I've seen Ghostrider. The 'plot' revolves around a "crew" who engage in some kind of dance battle against 'some rich kids from the Orange County', refereed by a man who appears to be very concerned about the possibility of fights between the 2 'crews', but not about the fact that these presumably underage people are gambling up money on the outcome (decided by the crowd). There's also a drug dealer, a sister of one of the members of the 'crew' who goes out with one of the other members of the 'crew' & some little kid who gets killed. Basically the plot is a huge awful mess. The acting is even worse. The cast all looked like they were in pain(maybe this was to sympathise with the viewer). The worst piece of acting in this shambles of a film is by a bloke with crazy hair who wails "You suckas got served" in an ultra chavvy voice. Now, you may be thinking, "Why didn't you just leave, or not watch it at all?". Well, we were forced to see this at school, same with the dreadful Ghostrider. If you enjoy the kind of dancing featured in this film, I'd recommend buying it & skipping all the dire plot & acting. Or just not buy it all. I object to this film being rated, as there isn't a score low enough.

Page 2 of 25:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]