You Got Served (2004) Poster

250 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
The dancing is great but everything else falls apart
christian12315 November 2004
The competitive world of street dancing is explored through the eyes of two best friends, played by Marques Houston and Omarion. As the leaders of a hot local dance crew, they are challenged to a competition that causes a rift in their friendship, but if they're going to win at "The Big Bounce" they will have to put their dispute aside and work together.

You Got Served has some great dance spots but not much in terms of plot or originality. The makers of You Got Served only had one thing on their mind and that was to wow its audience with its dancing. They succeeded at making the dancing really good but failed to make a good movie. If you watch it just to check out the dancing and ignore everything else then you will enjoy it. But if you notice how bad the acting is or how stupid the story is then you will hate it. The dancing sequences are done extremely well and the movie gets a ten on that part but for everything else it gets a three.

The acting was decent enough for this type of movie but it could have been a lot better. The plot was stupid and it was tied together with the dance sequences. I think so many people hated this movie because of the story not making a lot of sense. While I didn't really like the film, I'll admit that the rating of 1.8 is too low for the movie. It was a bad movie but it wasn't that bad. Chris Strokes does a good job at directing the dance sequences but he can't tell a story at all. He would randomly move from scene to scene and none of them would really make sense. I heard they're going to make a sequel so hopefully they will work a little harder on the script. Though if they did make one, I probably wouldn't watch it. In the end, unless you're into dancing, this film is worth skipping. Rating 4/10
27 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Who got served?
Volstag15 June 2004
The only person who is "served" by this film, is the person watching it. That's right... you get served a steaming pile of bad movie. Let me go on the record by explicitly stating: Chris Stokes is an absolutely appalling writer. Just the fact that he thought his horrific script was worth turning into movie, strongly suggests to me that Mr. Stokes is suffering from some sort of mental deficiency. Seek medical attention ASAP.

To be honest, I rented this movie because it's enjoying the dubious pleasure of languishing at #1 on IMDB's Bottom 100. My goal in life, as it were, is to watch all of the Bottom 100 movies. While this movie is certainly feculent, it still can't touch the majesty & power of such classics as Troll II, Eeegah, The Blade Master, Manos: Hands of Fate, Deathstalker III, etc, etc. It comes close, but I wouldn't rate this movie any worse than 75th on the Bottom 100.

Let's detail some weak points of the script, shall we?

(* spoilers * -- as if it's possible to spoil this movie)

* The two main characters (David & Elgin) are "forced" into selling some sort of contraband to make ends meet. This is strange since they both enjoy the luxury of living in upper middle class homes, with, what appears to be, a good family environment. Ostensibly they have more than enough time to, you know, get a job -- since all they do, all day, is play basketball, talk on cell phones, and dance.

* Mr. Stokes really enjoys introducing plot lines and then summarily ignoring them. What about the girl trying to get into Princeton? What about the dancer who switches crews? Whatever happened to him?

* Lil' Kim, near the "climax" of this donkey-show, informs the two competing crews that they're going to have a "dance off" for the right to appear in her next video. There's one little twist: this particular dance engagement is going to feature "no rules" -- it's going to be "straight street". My buddies and I found the "no rules" dancing to be eerily similar (if not exactly identical) to the "rules" dancing. What, exactly, are you allowed to do in a "no rules" dance competition, that you can't in a "rules" competition?

* The dancers depicted in this movie display a remarkable ability to engage in choreographed routines w/o prior rehearsal or practice. Pretty cool, eh?

* Mr. Rad (Steve Harvey) hires an off-duty policeman to protect the participants of his nightly "dance battles". I wonder what the policeman thought of all the illegal gambling going on? Mr. Stokes, sagely, decides to ignore this problem.

I'll stop here. Basically, the only person who would/could enjoy this movie is a teenager, with a sub-human IQ, who watches 8+ hours of MTV a day. Admittedly, some of the dance sequences are fun to watch, but you see pretty much everything you're going to see (dancing wise) within the first 10 or 15 minutes of the movie.

Bad movie score: 6/10 Good movie score: 2/10.
21 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
WOW! This is monumentally bad!
Mr_Vai7 January 2005
I think this screenplay was written by a couple of junior high students whose lone experience in life has come from watching MTV. Actually, it is close to being funny, but right before you are about to laugh at how dumb it is, you are more repulsed by how bad it is. Then there is the acting, or lack thereof. I just love the way all of the "performers" pose and "front" for the camera. They look so moronic! I guess what you want to know, is this film so bad that it is good? No, it is so bad that it is horrible.

Oh yeah, the story is about crews that challenge each other to "dance-offs." Really, it is.
112 out of 168 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A shameless promo with great dancing, heavy music but zero plot, awful acting and no value as a piece of cinema
bob the moo31 May 2004
Elgin and David are best friends and the leaders of the best dance crew in the area. Their dominance is threatened when a crew from another area challenges them to a battle for the stake of $5k – a challenge that they accept. However when the crew are betrayed by one of their own and the challengers simply steal all their moves before they can perform, the bet is lost. David and Elgin suffer further strife when David lets Elgin down when it comes to business – putting them in debt to the local gangster. They are forced to put their differences behind them as a major dance competition is put on that offers them the prestige and money to get out of their situations.

Having a close friend with a black teenage daughter I have a vague knowledge of bands like IMX and B2K; and I know who manages them as well – none other than Chris Stokes, writer and director of this promotional video. I say promotional video because this is not a film, not in anything but the most basic use of the word. The plot is a very obvious series of dance battles backed up by some very simple plotting that almost totally fails to engage. What the film does do though is deliver some very good dance scenes which are enjoyable so long as you like that sort of thing. For me the atmosphere, skill and music involved in these scenes almost made it worth seeing – almost.

Sadly the bits between the dance moves are just awful. The basic story is not the biggest problem, it is the manner that it is delivered. Stokes' script is nothing but a collection of black clichés all speaking in heavy ebonics. I will give you the fact that some people do talk like this but here it just lazy writing – rather than writing characters he simply creates clichés to make the audience accept them. Having a black ex-wife I have seen a fair collection of 'black' movies from America and happily not all of them are as lazy as this but far too many simply trade in these street-talking, thug-loving clichés. Last week in The Times was an article about black exploitation films from the 70's get re-releases, I do not think that they need a release because these exploitation films have just been replaced by the modern black comedy. I'm sure I'll be shouted down for this but when I see something that stereotypes race I must call it – whether it is a film that is deliberately racist or lazy. Given the all black cast then I cannot call this racist but it is certainly lazy and simplistic. As director Stokes also shows himself to be totally lacking in his own imagination – witness the jump-zoom technique that he overuses, that's been done everywhere and it's a sad indictment of his vision that it seems to be the only trick in his bag.

With only clichés and 'thug attitude' to work with it is no surprise that the performances are bad – a fact not helped by the cast is populated by people who seem unable to deliver any dialogue with any degree of natural sense. I wish I was so naïve that I thought that the presence of Omarion, Houston and Lil' Fizz was down to their talent rather than Stokes' involvement in the film. Omarion is one big black cliché and he seems to think that making a charming character involves just flashing a smile and saying 'y'know' lots. Houston avoids the clichés a bit better but only has two modes – one mode is him brooding around like someone just stole his last forty and the other mode is clichéd street-smart mode. Suffice to say, neither can act. You know you're in the sh*t when it comes to your cast when Steve Harley is your big name guest star – a fact that highlights the film's values. The rest of the cast are just like the support cast of any music video – pretty boys and girls. I'm not complaining because I thought Freeman was cute and minor appearance from music video regulars McCall and Rodrigues were hot. Likewise I'm sure teenage girls will go mad for the buff male cast too – but lets not call them actors just because they are reading lines off cards.

Overall this film is worth seeing if you like the 'clowning' type of dancing that this film trades on or if you like hip hop (the cynical side of me thinks that the 30 second snippets of songs is designed to sell the soundtrack), however this is not a film in any way, shape or form. The story is rubbish and if you can't see how it is going to end after 15 minutes then you are a muppet. The script creates clichés rather than characters and relies on staples of black movies to get by (shootings, dealing, b*tches and basketball) and uses lazy ebonics in place of dialogue.

The casting is simply self-promotion of Stokes' boy bands and none (and I mean none) of the cast actually act here – some of the delivery was amazingly bad. However, for the dancing and hip hop I consider it worth watching (even if it is only really a long music promo), but if you don't like this type of music then you will find this to be one of the most vacuous 90 minutes of your life.
40 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Like Polio, this should be wiped from the face of the Earth.
Devon Cassidy28 August 2004
Let's start off with the best part of the movie. Steve Harvey. This man is usually funny, or at least mildly humourous. In this movie, he had maybe 5 lines, all of them not funny. We would believe that he, as a dance off judge, has more power than the apparent bad ass "gansta" boss.

The dancing looked good. I commend the people in the movie for their talent, but the movie stank. Like an old septic system. The acting was substandard at best, the direction poor, timing lousy and the characters were 2 dimensional. Not to mention that the "competition" movie is a terrible cliche.

I wanted to write a better review, but I feel as if a percentage of my brain wasted away while watching this horrible thing.

Don't bother with it.
101 out of 157 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
You'll never guess what happens at the end
exmfc28 February 2005
We watched this movie. We got Served.

There were some obvious parallels with Top Gun, right down to the rampant homosexual subtexts but with much less volleyball. The OC crew serves as the Russians (obviously) and the dance moves as the MiGs. Maverick (David) and Iceman (El) are friends that become bitterly divided. Maverick dates up Kelly McGillis (played by El's sister, which I don't remember from Top Gun at all!). Tom Skerritt's character is a flamboyant dance club MC with full Office Space flair known as "Mr. Rad": you can't make stuff like that up.

Our squadron meets up with some serious hardship as Goose, a little kid known as "lil Saint" dies not in a flat spin but a drive-by. Not only that but El is beaten up and in trouble with the mob -- much like Iceman being in trouble with the MiGs. Luckily a dance contest comes out of nowhere and Maverick tells Iceman "You can be my wingman, anytime." Lil Kim, contest judge, takes our breath away and the OC Russians take the highway straight into the Danger Zone.
18 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
dance!
djenneke4 September 2005
Okay, it is not a good movie. I agree. But this is also not a movie one should go to with high expectations. Come on!

This one is about being young, about music, and above all: about dance. And it is a good one in the latter. So stop whining about the shortcomings of the story (if any at all). It's about dance, and man, can they dance!

I can actually imagine people think this movie really sucks. But hell, if one does not want to look at a dance movie, why go and see this one?

This movie is not a pretentious one. So why judge it on something that it is not trying to be (A great movie with a great story).
55 out of 86 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
a painful experience
enirehtac816 October 2004
Seeing this movie was a painful experience!!!!! all i can say is "i got served!". The plot just seemed like some teenager's badly thought through daydream. The story line was a mess seeming to be made of ideas randomly taken from every cheesy teenage movie ever made. The acting was terrible, as was the script. The writers seemed to believe that to make it authentic "street" talk words such as "you'll", "whack" and "homeboy" had to be inserted thrice in every line. Every character seems to be created from the same cardboard cut-out stereo type, including all peripheral characters, such as the doctors and nurses. The only positive things i can say about the movie is that the dancing was wonderfully choreographed and performed and the music was new and fresh. The grandmother (who appears for about 5 minuets) was the best character in the movie, the actress, Esther Scott, did very well with the dreadful script and actually made the movie enjoyable, at least for a minuet.
56 out of 88 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
you can't make this stuff up
cleveland_steamers28 May 2005
Sometimes, you can say "That movie was so bad it was funny." When you say that about You Got Served, you really mean it. This movie had me laughing beginning to end, and just when you think it can't get any more ridiculous, it does. The movie starts with a 1-2 punch of stupidity. Everyone is at a crowded warehouse with a boxing ring. But they're not fighting; they're dancing. And they're serious. If that isn't funny enough, it is followed by "the kitchen scene." Ben Stiller wishes he could have dialogue this awkward. I was in pieces by this point. But as the plot thickens, it only gets better. We meet Lil' Saint, who is about 8 years old and probably curses more than anybody else in the movie. And then dies in a drive-by? I don't think I've ever laughed harder at a child's death than when I heard, "Lil' Saint got shot! He was ridin' with Lanky and Bug, and some dude sprayed the car!" We get a glimpse of the hard-knock (aka middle class) life that forces L and D to move drugs just so their family can buy them a new outfit every day. After they get served by the upper-middle class OC kids and D leaves L hangin' so he can mac it with L's sister, they learn that their new crews can win $50,000 if they serve every other crew in LA. (See, 50 G's split among 10 crew members is enough to change their lives.) Which leaves them with one obvious thing to do: the Rocky montage. And keep in mind: THEY ARE SERIOUS. On the Big Day, the dance-off ends in a tie between L's crew and the OC crew, so Lil' Kim lets them settle it the way she likes it: "straight hood." The movie climaxes with the chant of "Served, Served, Served" and I have nearly pi$$ed my pants laughing. I recommend that everybody download You Got Served. You will be quoting it for weeks. The only question I have is how they ever got Steve Harvey to do this movie.
15 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this