IMDb > Whiteout (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Whiteout

Whiteout More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 15:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

People must have been expecting too much...

Author: blahblahblah12345 from United States
15 September 2009

I actually felt this movie was fairly decent. Looking at a lot of the reviews, people seem to feel so outraged at how horrible this movie apparently was, but I don't know what they were expecting. If you're that angry about the supposed "twist" foreshadowed in the trailer, then you should have been smart enough to know that the chances of this movie coming through with some amazing and original twist were very slim.

Anyway, as for the film itself, there were definitely many flaws. That stupid shower scene in the first 10 minutes of the movie was so tactless I was almost ready to leave. The acting was mediocre at best. I think Gabriel Macht is an extremely good looking guy, but based on this film he is a horrendous actor. Kate Beckinsale was okay as the lead... She had her moments. The dialogue was so cheesy though. And the film was just also very predictable and tedious. The flashback scenes in particular got pretty annoying as pretty much the same exact scene was repeated at least 3 or 4 times throughout the movie.

But perhaps the best aspect of the film is the scenery. The outside shots were beautiful. The whole idea of being on Antarctica was fascinating and is perhaps the main reason why I was able to put up with many of its flaws. I wish they developed that aspect of the story more. I also felt some of the blood and gore were also well done. It was more tasteful than a slasher movie but still just as gut-wrenching.

Whiteout - An Experiment In Mediocrity

Author: prodbabies from United States
15 September 2009

I saw this film last night. I had been traveling, and did not see any advertising cause I was not watching TV. Point? I went into the film without any real expectations. I only knew the cast and saw a short blurb on the premise.

Question?? – Is Kate Beckinsale's agent and representatives TRYING to Whiteout her career? Her agent should be shot for getting her involved in the films she has been associated with lately.

Whiteout has it all – Starts with a long unnecessarily drawn out shower scene with a pre-shower shot focused on KB bending over, in her underwear, right into the camera. Not that I mind, but a total B-movie skin-a-max move. It is followed up with a pointless story that lacked any originality (except I guess the location) that included routine plot points and every EXPECTED twist!! We even get an uninspired, contrived history for KB's character. Add some REAL BAD dialogue at times (you know the kind – the writers are not sure the audience will get the absolute obvious, so they have a character actually say the obvious out loud. They have to spell it out for all the morons they must be pandering) and you got a B-Movie with what I assume is still an A-list star??? The directing does not help, nor does the editing (whom I'll give a pass since the director handed the editor B-movie scenes). In all the film is uninspired, routine and mostly flawed with an inconsistent feel on every level.

At some points I would have given this film a 3 (mostly when that awful dialogue would proceed), a moment here and there a 5. But luckily, the best performance came from Tom Skerritt, (who managed to maintain a level of quality the rest involved could not) and his presence near the end saved a lower rating (yes, its true, parts of this film deserve lower than the overall 4).

No need to spend you hard earned money on this at the box office mess. Rent it on DVD if your REALLY bored or have an unlimited plan….or wait till skin-a-max shows it!! It may be worth the $1 Red Box rental.

Sorry, but I loved it

Author: fung0 from Canada
4 July 2011

Okay, this isn't a Great movie. It's not even a great whodunit. But in a world where old Charlie Chan pot-boilers have a cult following, and boneheaded Spielberg spectaculars are considered works of genius, I'd say that Whiteout definitely has a place.

What did I like about Whiteout? I loved the setting. ANY movie set in the confines of an Antarctic research station is okay with me. (There aren't nearly enough of them!) I loved the characters. Kate Beckinsale isn't in the front ranks of thespians, but she's a solid leading lady, and brings a good mix of likability, vulnerability and toughness to this part. The supporting characters are just fine as well. I loved the idea of setting an action-mystery in this odd locale, and I greatly enjoyed the way the mystery unraveled - predictable though it may have been. And I loved the various ways that the frozen environment is brought in as an element in the story.

What did I hate? Not a thing. True, the cold is not treated realistically. Too many people walking around bareheaded and such. Yes, it's a dopey Hollywood convention. But in a little action flick like this one, I wasn't bothered - at all. Did I hate the acting? No. It was just right for this kind of film. Did I have problems with the writing? Okay... there were a few bits of logic that could have been tighter. But, again, no worse than in many movies that get a 10/10 from every blockhead on Earth. (I won't itemize... this review is going to get enough down-checks as it is.)

Bottom line, Whiteout is a pile of fun. It's a 'genre' film, with few if any artistic pretensions. But it delivers the goods where it counts. I've watched it several times on DVD, and expect to enjoy it quite a few more. If you don't get it, go watch some Merchant-Ivory drawing room masterpiece, and we'll all be happy.

A good movie to waste time watching

Author: darkmax from Singapore
17 September 2009

The first few minutes of watching Kate Beckinsale stripping was....well, expected and pleasant. But it is becoming routine for her in her movies.

That entire sequence was made to keep us guys interested for the rest of this rather predictable movie. It served no other purpose at all. (Yeah, she's still got an incredible body) This movie has a very simple and uncomplicated plot. Even the "twist" is totally predictable. I knew who the villain was in the first 15-20 minutes of the film.

The movie is paced quite evenly without much up and down except for a rather unusual "action" sequence somewhere in the middle of the film, involving ice-pick, a blizzard (white-out), and a lot of guiding ropes. The action could have been better if not for some blurry fast action moments. I had no idea what happened for a few seconds. they kicked, he fell, she fell....

No surprise at all. Wait for the DVD. This is a good movie to watch on a small screen.

People must have set their expectations too high

Author: fieldnstreamer from United States
27 September 2009

Well last night I went and saw this movie. I didn't know a lot about it, and i have found that that is the best way to see a movie, because if you watch all the previews and get too hipped up about it, then you are most likely going to set your self up for disaster. My sister went with me and she was on the edge of her seat the whole time, and she isn't the type to get over excited about things.

I've read where people left a lot of negative comments, but I don't understand what was so bad. First, the acting was not less than par and the movie portrayed a halfway accurate setting of what Antarctica is like. Sure they did lack a little bit of what would really happen with the lack of face protection, Kate's face would not have survived as well as it did when she went out without face protection in -60f temps.

People that rated this movie as poorly as they did because of their disbelief in what its like to be in conditions like this, apparently have never been in conditions lie this. I've never been in -60 temps with 100 mph winds, but I've been in -50 temps with 40 mph winds, and its surviveable.

Not bad. It has some nice atmosphere and a great setting.

Author: callanvass
29 May 2010

Whiteout isn't as bad as people are claiming it is, in fact I had an OK time with it, when all was said and done. There is a dull section in the middle that's hard to get through, but the fairly exciting finale makes up for that in my opinion. I give big props to the film cast for having to go through such a rigorous weather treatment, but it made for a fairly effective movie. The negative thing about Whiteout though is, I didn't think it took advantage of its immense potential. It's definitely watchable and fairly entertaining, but it could have been a film to remember with that type of setting and the plot, and unfortunately I guessed the twist at the end halfway through the movie. Kate Beckinsale makes for a very good lead, while being believable at the same time, and that's very important for a film like this. Whiteout has it's fair share of spooky moments, the atmosphere is great, and in the end I was entertained for the most part, but it could have been so much more.

Performances. Kate Beckinsale is gorgeous to look at, but also a pretty good actress too. She's likable and her Feistyness, but also vulnerability worked well for her. Gabriel Macht does well as Pryce, he was pretty charismatic. Tom Skerritt is OK as the Doctor, I suppose he had a presence. Columbus Short is likable as Delfy. Alex O'Loughlin is quite intense in his role.

Bottom line. It's worth a watch on Telly or DVD that's for sure, it passes the time well.

Great Friday night flick!

Author: hkronin from United States
26 November 2010

While digesting my Thanksgiving meal, I wanted to watch a good movie in front of the fire on a cold winter night. Whiteout seemed appealing because of the synopsis and the setting. I love the desolate setting of an science facility in the cold lifeless continent of Antartica. There is always something creepy and thrilling about being so far from civilization and life sustaining climate; the movie had a similar creepiness to some other thrillers that take place in deep space. The plot and setting were original, and keep you guessing throughout the movie. The suspense and thrills were more likened to a horror movie or a slasher film, but I say that in a good way. My 17 year old daughter and wife had to turn their eyes away for many scenes in fear and anticipation.

I like to judge movies by what their intent is. I try and compare Old School to Gone with the Wind for example... 2 completely different audiences and intents, but both great movies that deliver what they try to deliver. In my opinion, Whiteout delivered what it tried to deliver, a scary, interesting, beautiful, thrilling escape. Exactly what I wanted to see on a cold Friday night in front of the fire!

Save Your Money

Author: imdb-60 from Los Angeles
10 September 2009

Just came from the Premiere of Whiteout in Westwood.

This movie has a really stunning poster. And that is the best I can say for the movie.

The first 10 minutes of the film, involving the Russian transport plane, is the most exciting part of the movie. You can leave after that part.

Everything in this movie has been done before. The cop who has had a crisis on the job .. the flashbacks .. the reservation about your job .. etc.

The most beautiful part of the movie was the scenery. However in most scenes, there were so much snow blowing around (Whiteout) you couldn't see all of the action.

Reese Witherspoon was scheduled to play the lead. Not that Kate Beckinsale wasn't good in the movie, but the script catered on the gore instead of on the quality of the plot.

About as fun as frostbite and as good as a snowcone mid-winter.

Author: c_p_c from U.S.A.
24 September 2009

"Whiteout" was dead on arrival. Word has it that this movie has been sitting on a studio shelf for some time now. This usually isn't a good sign and while some films that have delayed releases turn out to be good, Whiteout is not.

The problem with Whiteout is not the acting or the direction, but with the awful script and tired storyline. There is not one thing here that is new or original. A "killer-on-the-loose" story needs twists, revelations, and the one's given in Whiteout are solely lacking creativity. Many will guess who is pulling the strings before the first act is up. Second, the story is boring and uneventful. Save a few chases scored to pounding music, not much happens. The film tries to establish a sense of urgency with an oncoming intense snow storm. This element does little to add to the story aside from a need to get off the continent.

Whiteout is truly a celebration of mediocrity that fails on all accounts. At the time this was supposedly filmed, Beckinsale was probably still trying to cement herself as a star in Hollywood. It makes sense that she took the role. However, and for her benefit, she has done far better since. That makes this film seem even more out of place.

Don't waste your time or money. Don't waste a DVD rental. Whiteout just isn't worth it.

Potential Partially Frozen and Amputated

Author: in1984 from United States
12 January 2010

Neither great nor horrible, it's entertaining, smart, and sometimes has some surprises that are worth seeing, but expect action thriller melodrama as opposed to science fiction intrigue.

The main problem is that it's often too formulaic and cliché, sometimes nearly nonsensical. It feels in many ways like any other FBI/CIA international mystery thriller involving lots of brutally murdered people, with the exception of the setting.

Nice FX and a sort of gore horror film element (that axe murderer story lovers will greatly appreciate) add something beyond the FBI melodrama to create some excitement, thrills, and disturbing moments.

Page 1 of 15:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]