IMDb > Tooth (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Tooth

Tooth More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 3: [Prev][1] [2] [3]

Imaginative, funny and heart-warming kids film for all the family

Author: Gary White from london, England
18 February 2004

This is the ideal kids movie for parents, buy the tickets, purchase the popcorn and sitback and enjoy an imaginative & entertaining movie that doesn't bore the kids after 5 minutes. The Tooth fairy concept is a clever interpretation of the traditional childrens mystical money giver which will now have children across the UK pulling teeth to get a chance of meeting 'Tooth' the feisty tooth fairy. The child acting performances are excellent supported by solid performances from Harry Enfield, Vinnie Jones and Richard.E.Grant.

I thoroughly recommend this movie for the holiday break and can't wait for Tooth 2!

MUST SEE KIDS MOVIE

Author: F Shaffer from London
18 February 2004

Ever wondered what ever happened to them baby teeth once they fall out. Placing them under your pillow in exchange for some hard earned cash for all the painful suffering you went through, and you mom telling you to leave it alone. What does this fantasy figure up until now, whom we know as the tooth fairy even look like? where do they live? Well now the waiting is over, all is revealed for the first time in the history of mankind, and it comes in the form of TOOTH.

Tooth is a fantasy movie aimed at kids, but evidently suitable for the whole family, even the grannies (Well they lose teeth too, you know). Tooth tells the story of a young, feisty tooth fairy called `Tooth' from Fairytopia (the land of tooth fairies). Tooth is fed up with the drab and boring fairies she works with, not to mention her neurotic, carrot eating boss, a 6 foot rabbit, voiced beautifully by Jim Broadbent. When Tooth reads the help note of a poor soul named Tolly (scorned by her brother Tom for believing in fairies), she decides to do something about it. So what does she do? She gives away a GUZZILLION dollars to a family in need, who are about to have their furniture repossessed, and live in a trailer park.

Tooth realising her mistake and the possible outcome of cleaning toilets for the rest of her life, tries to get the money back, or Christmas and the festive seasons of happiness and joy are done for. But what happens when you give two kids a Guzillion dollars. They spend it of course.

Tooth enlists the help of Tom and Tolly to get the money back, but with no luck, The only person who can help them is Mrs C; yep that's right Mrs Claus, the mighty, yet until now distant figure played by Phyllida Law. Well of course Santa has a wife, who do you think cooks all the mince pies when he's not working. Along the way the trio meet memorable characters from Crazy Golfers / secret fairy godparents (Richard E Grant, Jerry Hall), to THE EXTRACTOR, (Played by Vinnie Jones) well the name says it all, he extracts teeth unless you tell him what he wants to know. And he is not someone you want to mess with. Until he reveals his secret, but you'll have to see it to believe it.

Hot on there tale or should I say wings, is PLUG, (Harry Enfield) the evil fairy hunter who with his posse are out to be the first to catch fairies and to make PLUG a household name.

Tooth was written and directed by newcomer Edouard Nammour in his feature film debut. And TOOTH is certainly original. (How many other films do you know that can have the tooth fairy, Santa Claus's wife and a big fluffy rabbit in the same cast?) The wacky and totally unique adventure which this film involves is simply marvellous. To even think how Mr Nammour came up with the idea is beyond imagination, it is different and certainly keeps the audience entertained, with many lovable moments.

TOOTH stars an all-British stellar cast. Harry Enfield is delightfully evil as PLUG. Vinnie Jones is a joy to watch as THE EXTRACTOR. As are wacky golfers Richard E Grant and Jerry Hall, not forgetting Stephen Fry as the lovable Pedro, Mrs C's guardian and carer. And of course the rabbit is simply genius. Sally Phillips and Tim Dutton are especially memorable as the unfortunate parents caught up in this adventure. Dad (Dutton), is a failed musician, who seems to be living in a different era, and mom (Phillips) trying to keep her family together.

The cast would not be complete without the three children who make the film what it is, Tooth (Yasmin Paige), Tom (Rory Copus) and Tolly (Maisie Preston). All three children are superb, and handle their parts with the maturity for well beyond there years. It's amazing to believe that they are all British as well; as their American accents are, well lets face it, to be jealous of. Make way for some up and coming young Talent. Yasmin Paige oozes charisma and confidence as the Feisty fairy that is tooth.

Overall tooth is one big adventure and Newcomer Nammour should be proud of his achievement. He is definitely one to watch out for in the future. It certainly does not need to be Christmas to enjoy this family film, it has enough treats to make it feel like Christmas everyday. A lovely film, which is unique and leaves you with the thought of WOW, do fairies really exist?

(Well of course they do).

P.S.

I have seen that this film has had a lot of bad reviews recently. Which I think is uncalled for, I'm sure most of the people who write these reviews have proberly never even set foot on a film set in there life. At the end of the day a review is just one person's opinion. They are not holy writ. A good film is a good film. No matter how much money has gone into it, no matter where it was filmed (even if you recognise the location - so what). If you cannot suspend your disbelief for duration this film lasts, then you are never going to love what you see, or any other film for that matter. And that is why kids are the best judges, they can totally become absorbed in the magic of cinema. They do not worry about trivia. Lets face it the kids are amazing in this film. I have always found it weird when an adult writes a review for a kids film, and suddenly gets credibility, yet a review by a kid about something like "The Hours" is thought of as silly. But hey everyone is entitled to there opinion. Don't take mine.

Go and see it for yourself !!!

Children love this film

Author: motheroftwo from oxon
17 February 2004

Children love the imaginative fantasy world of this film. It has great heart and a wonderful message too about what is really important in life. I particularly enjoyed the humour - jokes and silliness galore. Loads of fun - I highly recommend it! My children are eager to see it again!

TO SAY IT IS REALY GOOD

Author: bethellami (bethellami@aol.com) from HOME
17 February 2004

I LOVED THE FILM I THINK THAT Yasmin PAGE IS brillant in it. THE film is just the best its so funny. ME AND EVERY ONE LOVED IT espcialy my brother he liked the chease bit and when plugs mother keeps on ringing him.All the actors are realy good inTOOTH ilove the film i have already seen it4 times already. I hope there will be a TOOTH 2

Makes me glad films like this still get made.

Author: barney_holmes from United Kingdom
28 December 2008

As another comment said (by mike-1739) this film took more than films like Donny Darko. Donny Darko was heavily promoted. I don't remember seeing any advertising for Tooth. Go figure as they say.

This merry jaunt is in the vein of the Sesame Street or Muppet movies but with a few less puppets. The humour made me laugh as an adult, and reminded me of what used to amuse me as a child. Many of the comments here say it is popular with the children.

It is very much in the style of a British film (think of 1990 film The Witches based on the book of the same name by British author, Roald Dahl). It lacks the ultra smooth special effects and editing of Hollywood that, in some people's book, makes it inferior. But that is just very bad criticism on my opinion. Brit films have their own style that is prevalent here. Bringing a unique spontaneity and spunkeness lacking in some Hollywood productions that get lost in their over refined production values. Saying that, the Sesame Street vein of children's movies is done well over in the USA, so it's good to see a film hitting all the same notes over here.

Belongs in the archives of 'misunderstood' children's films...

Author: Howlin Wolf from Oldham, Gtr Manchester, England.
29 July 2005

I've come to the conclusion that the majority of adults who see films aimed at kids resent invention at the expense of 'staid' plotting... Does little Johnny or Jenny care that these are fantasy lands where the normal rules of the real world don't necessarily apply? Not a bit of it. They'll just be happy if they can get caught up in the magical adventures they see in front of them. Bothersome grownups who can't get into the spirit of things have just lost their keen sense of 'imagination'...

This might be quite a left-handed compliment; but if you can find anybody out there who has a certain fondness for "North", then I daresay that person will nurture something of a 'protective' instinct towards THIS, too. Adults make buffoons of themselves; but what else plays better to a young audience than a tale where it's the kids who are the smartest and make the wisest decisions?? Sure, it has its glitches; but what this 'big-kid-at-heart' can see is that "Tooth" also has bucketloads of creative expression in its favour, too. Older parents and guardians may feel a little 'dizzy' come the end, but the impressionable little tykes in their lives will probably be enchanted. It certainly beats 'kid breaks wind and achieves stardom' (ala "Thunderpants"... ) in terms of scope, and the job that's been done getting it to screen, anyway...

GREAT FAMILY FANTASY

Author: Movie_Time
23 February 2004

Tooth is a great fantasy movie for the whole family. With an all-star cast, and great performances, it is a joy to watch. Tooth played beautifully by talented Yasmin Paige is on a mission to save Christmas and all the festive seasons, along with her two friends, Tom and Tolly (Rory Copus and Maisie Preston.) but she's no Tinkerbell, she's a feisty, confident, butt-kicking fairy.

Along the way Tooth encounters many challenges, from wacky golfers, Richard E Grant and Jerry Hall, to Tooth Extractor Vinnie Jones. Then there's Mrs C, played by Phyllida Law. That's Santa Claus's wife, who up until now we never knew existed.

But there is more. Tooth is being chased by the evil fairy hunter, Plug (Harry Enfield), and his army of fairy hunters. There's action's Galore, from fairy battles, to quad bike chases. And not forgetting Tooth's big boss. A fluffy, cuddly Easter Bunny. Voiced by Jim Broadbent.

Tooth is certainly full of surprises. And has that zany / wacky feel that is totally new and different from most fantasy movies.

It certainly keeps the audience entertained, with many lovable moments.

Tooth Stars Young talents Yasmin Paige as Tooth, Rory Copus as Tom and Maisie Preston as Tolly. Tooth is an original idea by Edouard Nammour. This is one of the finest kids films I have seen in a while. All three children are a joy to watch, and certainly keep the audience happy.

Tooth looks like it will set a new trend in children's cinema. It keeps the festive spirits up all year round. A must see for kids and big kids.

Great film for Kids, and Big Kids

Author: Movie_Time
20 February 2004

But there is more. Tooth is being chased by the evil fairy hunter, Plug (Harry Enfield), and his army of fairy hunters. There's action's Galore, from fairy battles, to quad bike chases. And not forgetting Tooth's big boss. A fluffy, cuddly rabbit. Voiced by Jim Broadbent.

It certainly keeps the audience entertained, with many lovable moments.

Tooth Stars Young talents Yasmin Paige as Tooth, Rory Copus as Tom and Maisie Preston as Tolly. Tooth is an original idea by Edouard Nammour. This is one of the finest kids films I have seen in a while. All three children are a joy to watch, and certainly keep the audience entertained.

You have got to see this film; it breaks all RULES and looks like it will set a new trend in children's cinema. It keeps the festive spirits up all year round. A must see for kids and big kids.

A great family adventure

Author: (bethellami@aol.com) from london
18 February 2004

Tooth is one of the best films of the year the film is about a fairy who gives a little girl a load of money.And the tooth fairy comany goose mad.And its all down to a fairy called Tooth played by Yasmin Page .I loved this film so much it is realy funny to i hope there will be a tooth 2.This film is a great family film and every one would love it.It is one of the best film i have seen this year.

I loved it to bits

Author: Johnny_Depp_Fan_1 from Manchester
23 March 2004

i went to see Tooth with 5 of my mates and we thought it was great. The characters are so lovable. You get into the christmas spirit as soon as you watch it. I thought that the storyline was really good, as i do not know any other films that are based on the Tooth Fairy. There are loads of jokes in it. especially form Harry Enfield (Plug).

i thought that Tooth was amazing as well as Tom and Tolly. This is some of the best children acting i have seen. As you can tell that they all are having a great time, and have bags of energy.

I loved the rabbit. Jim Broadbent does an amazing job as the rabbits voice. i also loved the quad bike races.

Tooth has many lovely scenes. i can not wait till it is out on dvd. And the last line of the film is one of my favourite.

"Magic is deep inside us all... ... Like a Kidney"

Page 3 of 3: [Prev][1] [2] [3]