IMDb > Tooth (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Tooth

Tooth More at IMDbPro »

A kid's review of a cute kid's movie

Author: ducttape_ed from London, England
18 February 2004

I saw the movie, Tooth, over half term, and thought that people might want to see a kid's review of it. It is a children's film after all, and I don't see how an adult could judge it as one as well as a kid. Adults tend to try and over analyze/judge stuff a lot (sorry!). So here it goes. I went to see this film with a six year old and an eight year old, and we all really enjoyed it. It was a really cute film with a fun story, fun characters, an evil villain, and a great message. The acting was good and we all laughed out loud many times. I think it is a great idea for a movie, though maybe released at the wrong time of year (I have heard that it was supposed to be out before Christmas, but they didn't quite make it). The storyline was fun, interesting, and had tons of twists and turns to keep you interested. The little adventure the kids and Tooth take to find Mrs. C is really cool, and they meet lots of neat characters along the way. We all had fun watching the heroes just barely get away from the villain each time he almost caught them. The ending was great fun and had us all wishing we could fly - I'll try not to give too much away.

Anyway, we all liked the film, and one of the people I went with was asking to buy it, before we were even out of the theatre! It's a really cute kid's film and I think most kids would enjoy it. =0)

Worth seeing to really appreciate how bad a film can be

Author: blondieLass from Dundee
14 March 2004

Yesterday I went to see this film, mainly because last year I had started writing a children's book about a tooth fairy world and wondered how it could have turned out. I am a 23 year old, but enjoy children's films too, and after seeing Harry Enfield on This Morning suggesting that it had a lot of gags for adults too, I was looking forward to it.

How wrong could I be! It had a good cast, but had no real story, appeared to be dull and dreary, couldn't decided which country it was set in (US Dollars and British pennies apparently making up the currency), couldn't decide which decade it was shot in and had no likable characters whatsoever.

Please do go and make up your own mind, I want other people to see it just to know how much you wish it was over.

I am going to leave it at that before my blood pressure shoots up again!

Perfect holiday fodder for undiscerning, very easily entertained kids

Author: laurence-tuccori from Brighton, England
27 January 2004

This kind of kids film should be left to Hollywood. They know how to do them properly, and are willing to cough up an adequate budget.

Tooth has been made on a shoestring and it shows. Its been shot on what appears to be an abandoned airfield in Essex using whatever was left lying around as props; and while its quite clearly set in England, the cast of British actors are forced to adopt feeble American accents and pretend the whole farrago's taking place in some nameless US city.

I assume the producers imagine this will make it saleable to the Americans.

The story's about a Tooth Fairy called Tooth and her quest to bring back the magic that the fairies have lost, but the writers clearly aren't convinced that's a strong enough storyline because they've chucked Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny into the mix to create a confusing, patchwork plot that's neither rewarding nor entertaining.

Harry Enfield's the star of this mess, and he's about as funny as Steve Martin is these days.

I thought kids films of this quality vanished with Screen Test and The Childrens Film Foundation - clearly I was wrong.

TOOTH - MUST SEE KIDS FILM

Author: F Shaffer from London
19 February 2004

Ever wondered what ever happened to them baby teeth once they fall out. Placing them under your pillow in exchange for some hard earned cash for all the painful suffering you went through, and you mom telling you to leave it alone. What does this fantasy figure up until now, whom we know as the tooth fairy even look like? where do they live? Well now the waiting is over, all is revealed for the first time in the history of mankind, and it comes in the form of TOOTH.

Tooth is a fantasy movie aimed at kids, but evidently suitable for the whole family, even the grannies (Well they lose teeth too, you know). Tooth tells the story of a young, feisty tooth fairy called `Tooth' from Fairytopia (the land of tooth fairies). Tooth who is fed up with the drab and boring fairies she works with, not to mention her neurotic, carrot eating boss, a 6 foot rabbit, voiced beautifully by Jim Broadbent. When Tooth reads the help note of a poor soul named Tolly (scorned by her brother Tom for believing in fairies), she decides to do something about it. So what does she do? She gives away a GUZZILLION dollars to a family in need, who are about to have their furniture repossessed, and live in a trailer park.

Tooth realising her mistake and the possible outcome of cleaning toilets for the rest of her life, tries to get the money back, or Christmas and the festive seasons of happiness and joy are done for. But what happens when you give two kids a Guzillion dollars. They spend it of course.

Tooth enlists the help of Tom and Tolly to get the money back, but with no luck, The only person who can help them is Mrs C; yep that's right Mrs Claus, the mighty, yet distant figure played by Phyllida Law. Well of course Santa has a wife, who do you think cooks all the mince pies when he's not working. Along the way the trio meet memorable characters from Crazy Golfers / secret fairy godparents (Richard E Grant, Jerry Hall), to THE EXTRACTOR, (Played by Vinnie Jones) well the name says it all, he extracts teeth unless you tell him what he wants to know. And he is not someone you want to mess with. Until he reveals his secret, but you'll have to see it to believe it.

Hot on there tale or should I say wings, is PLUG, (Harry Enfield) the evil fairy hunter who with his posse are out to be the first to catch fairies and to make PLUG a household name.

Tooth was written and directed by newcomer Edouard Nammour in his feature film debut. And TOOTH is certainly original. (How many other films do you know that can have the tooth fairy, Santa Claus's wife and a big fluffy rabbit in the same cast?) The wacky and totally unique adventure which this film involves is simply marvellous. To even think how Mr Nammour came up with the idea is beyond imagination, it is different and certainly keeps the audience entertained, with many lovable moments.

TOOTH stars an all-British stellar cast. Harry Enfield is delightfully evil as PLUG. Vinnie Jones is a joy to watch as THE EXTRACTOR. As are wacky golfers Richard E Grant and Jerry Hall, not forgetting Stephen Fry as the lovable Pedro, Mrs C's guardian and carer. And of course the rabbit is simply genius. Sally Phillips and Tim Dutton are especially memorable as the unfortunate parents caught up in this adventure. Dad (Dutton), is a failed musician, who seems to be living in a different era, and mom (Phillips) trying to keep her family together.

The cast would not be complete without the three children who make the film what it is, Tooth (Yasmin Paige), Tom (Rory Copus) and Tolly (Maisie Preston). All three children are superb, and handle their parts with the maturity for well beyond there years. It's amazing to believe that they are all British as well; as their American accents are, well lets face it, to be jealous of. Make way for some up and coming young Talent. Yasmin Paige oozes charisma and confidence as the Feisty fairy that is tooth.

Overall tooth is one big adventure and Newcomer Nammour should be proud of his achievement. He is definitely one to watch out for in the future. It certainly does not need to be Christmas to enjoy this family film; it has enough treats to make it feel like Christmas everyday. A lovely film, which is unique and leaves you with the thought of WOW, do fairies really exist?

(Well of course they do).

Go and see it for yourself !!!

a lovely, frothy, family movie

Author: philos34002 from United States
26 May 2005

No, it's not Oscar material, but who cares! It's fun, positive, non-violent (mostly) and for a small budget movie with little support, quite well done. My kids (4 & 6) loved it and it was one of the few kids movies I enjoyed as well. BIG PLUS - it's not animated!!! Too few good kids movies are made as it is, let's support this one and maybe, just maybe, a few less cartoonists will be employed this year and a few MORE writers will be. For those who gave it poor reviews, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but personally, I think you're judging it by too high a standard. Just as suspension of disbelief is a requirement for most movies now, shouldn't there be a suspension of snobbery as well, in particular for films aimed at children?

Don't believe the hype!!

Author: anxietyresister from United Kingdom
20 February 2004

I would like to issue a little warning: beware of the positive remarks about this "film" (for lack of a better word) on the user comments page.. they all seem to have come from either the same source or from someone who has never submitted a review before, thus proving my theory that they all come from some non-too-subtle publicist. And that goes for the message board too. Tooth is flopping quite nicely at the UK box office due to it's appalling acting, cheapo special effects and gut-wrenching sentimental moments, and I'd hate to see even one person fooled into going because of one sad person's efforts (Who probably hasn't even sat through this pig-sty of a movie). Thank you. That is all.

Really poor fantasy adventure

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
12 June 2011

I do love fantasy adventures, and seeing there was the likes of Stephen Fry and Jim Broadbent in the cast, this looked as though it would be fun at least, even if I was at two minds whether Harry Enfield as a villain would work. However, Tooth was really quite poor at least for me. The film does look quite unappealing, the sets and costumes aren't too bad, but the editing and effects are really amateurish. The script has humour, but it is scattered and very weak humour, while the direction is sloppy and the story is paper-thin with the antics and action sequences never exciting. The acting doesn't fare much better, Yasmin Paige is rather irritating but in all fairness it doesn't help that her character's a brat. Surprisingly, the adults fare even worse, the waste of Broadbent and Fry is unforgivable and Harry Enfield as the fairy-hunting villain is embarrassing. Overall, really poor and amateurish and that hurt me to say that because the cast are so talented. 1/10 Bethany Cox

No wonder the indigenous British Film Industry struggles

Author: Steve Harris from United Kingdom
22 December 2007

The real question about this film, is how it ever got to be made. The narrative line is disjointed and confusing, after all, why is a talking rabbit driving a white van, why does the mum, Sally Philips, have an American accent, albeit as bad an American accent as Dick Van Dyke's cockney one, yet the husband is clearly English, though for no good reason, a spaced out wide boy/failed pop star. As for the kids - it's not quite clear where they were brought up, except possibly somewhere in the mid-Atlantic. Then what is the strange animal in the cage and why is Harry Enfield even in the film. There's Richard E.Grant, once again compensating for an apparent lack of direction by extravagantly overplaying an otherwise formless character - and Jerry Hall, barely acting any more than she did as Lady Jagger - the pair apparently delivering a formidable fusillade of the golf balls with machine gun rapidity and accuracy - thus confounding the villains for all of two minutes. And what about Vinny Jones, as the tooth fury - one moment like the villain who screwed Gazza's nuts, and the next a mewling soft touch for the none too cute juvenile leads.

This dreadful farrago must have cost millions of pounds to make - I don't recall it making any impression on initial release, let alone making it out on to general release - and it should not have been hard to ascertain the total lack of potential at the script stage and saved everyone a lot of money, and spared the rest of us an excruciatingly awful film.

Great Family Film

Author: mike-1739 from Sussex
4 June 2004

I have read the comments and quite frankly was expecting the worst. I can see that it provokes extreme views. I took my nephew and niece and they were enthralled. So when I was asked to baby sit I took them (aged 7&9) they were also very excited by the film. They jabbered in the back of the car all the way home. When their parents came home they were so enthusiastic that the parents took them again. So I've seen it twice! It is so rare to have a film that excites without scarring children and there are no bits for parents to be worried about. It is good harmless fun - So whether it is set in the US or UK - whether there are dollars or UK pennies is totally irrelevant - It is set in Fairytopia - Stop winging about such trivial things - the trip in the tractor should tell them this is a fantasy! It sets out to be a children's fantasy and - good grief children like it - that must say that the adults are wrong. Some reviews said it had bombed - I couldn't believe this - so I did a little checking. It took more at the box office than some hit films like Donny Darko! So lets stop knocking it and proclaim a British success for once! well done Ed - keep up the good work. Glad for your success - please make Tooth2 cos you have our vote.

A very poor advert for British film-making...

Author: storri from UK
17 February 2004

...this film is truly, truly awful.

I cannot believe how fragmented and totally lacking in humour this film was.

Released in the UK to coincide with the half-term school holiday and therefore guaranteed a pretty full house, there were only two people who I heard laugh out loud in the entire film. I don't think either of them were children.

Honestly, don't waste your time with this one...