IMDb > Shaun of the Dead (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Shaun of the Dead

Shaun of the Dead More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 88: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Shaun of the Dead ROCKS

Author: kittyrobb from United States
18 January 2005

OK, I heard about this film on the radio, I heard roamers that it was funny, but the title makes it sound more like a camp film. I never would have seen it, however, my son (17) rented it and made me watch it. Since we love Bruce Campbells' movies, he knew I would like it. I laughed my bum-off! Everyone must see this film. Horror or comedy! I LOVED IT! The plot shows that anyone is able to take a stand, and show leadership. You might lose a few friends on the way, and maybe a relative or two, but it never hurts to try. And remember to keep your friends in the end! Because video games are always better with a friend! Join in now. Player Two has joined!

good use of film

Author: TrudyStagnant from United States
18 January 2005

So you've seen every Zombie movie known to man as I have? This is top-rate. Musical soundtrack is bent towards the British audience with a few UK stars thrown in around the cast, there is not a moment to lose in the far flung take on the travails of life, love, roommates and the end of the world. Even with the sappy happy ending, the hilarious visual parallels between the 9-5 working stiffs and the blood thirsty plot, you will find yourself charmed and rooting for the boyish naivete of the main character and his desire for the simple life with his girl.

Without giving any great plot twist away, there is nothing wrong with mixing middle class boredom, go nowhere job blues, angst, pub crawling and gory zombie violence to the language of the Cinema.

Enjoy this one with extra onions or Hot Butter!

***1/2 out of ****

Author: philatwell from Frederick, Maryland, USA
16 January 2005

Edgar Wright's "Shaun of the Dead" is not only the best horror film of 2004 but it is the best comedy as well. It is an often hilarious tribute to George A. Romero's 1978 horror masterpiece "Dawn of the Dead." This film is not only horrifying at times it also manages to be quite funny. The acting is very good across the board. The lead was an ideal choice. The script is clever. There are many sly references to other horror films. The make-up and gore effects are top-notch comparable to Tom Savini's work for Romero's zombie films. This film is on my top ten list for 2004. Any fan of horror will appreciate this film for its smart script. ***1/2 out of **** and 9/10. Highly recommended!

You've Got Red on You

Author: A. F. Waddell from California, USA
16 January 2005

"You've got red on you" is a clever bit of repeated dialog, and harbinger of things to come. 'The living dead': look closer for an analogy. Protagonist Shaun seems to exist in a dead world. As he rides the bus to work, we become aware of the masses of soul-dead people slogging to work. If Shaun's a loser, he's about to become a hero. Will he get the girl? Again?

Brilliant dialog, slapstick, and satire stylize this quirky comedy/horror flick. The editing is brilliant: flowing yet abrupt scene changes keep us on edge — along with the somewhat startling soundtrack. In the beginning of the film look for background scenes as characters manifest the onset of zombie metamorphoses. Note: film has shown us that zombies move extremely slowly, that they're not very bright and seem to be food-centric. Therein lie methods for coping with them.

I admit it: the so-called comedy/horror genre has long been a guilty pleasure of mine: An American Werewolf in London . . . Cast A Deadly Spell . . . Cemetery Man. Kudos to the excellent writers, director and cast! Brits Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg are now on my radar.

Also recommended:

Frankenweenie http://imdb.com/title/tt0087291/ Cast a Deadly Spell http://imdb.com/title/tt0101550/ Popcorn http://imdb.com/title/tt0102690/

Much better than expected - in a word - Wonderful.

Author: shaofutzer from United States
16 January 2005

Ahhhh the rare and oft misunderstood zombie-comedy genre at it's absolute best. I went into this movie hoping it would be awesome but expecting it to be drivel (not familiar with the sitcom Spaced at the time) but left with a feeling a movie has not given me since... Heck I don't even remember a movie making me feel quite like this. This is what a good movie is all about. It contains everything it needs and very little it doesn't (I.E. - "You've got red on your shirt" - was a little overused and not that funny). While understandably the occasional scene of dismemberment and foul mouthed cursing may turn away many comedy fans, this movie was not intended for those people. This movie was intended for people who could appreciate the humor in films such as Evil Dead 2 or Dead Alive. What this movie does is escalate every good aspect of those aforementioned movies to a new degree that I feel will be difficult to surpass, launching it right up there with Monty Python and the Holy Grail as on of the best British comedic movies ever created - and quite possibly one of the best comic movies ever made regardless of nationality. While having a deep understanding of British culture helps, anyone with an IQ of over 100 should find this movie extremely entertaining. I nearly wet myself from laughing so hard throughout the movie although it does sort of drag near the end as everyone dies off, but it is miraculously saved by a heart-warming and very funny ending that couldn't have been done any better. It's upsetting that the movie didn't gross more in the states, although I'm sure once word of mouth gets around, DVD sales and rentals will pick up. I'm an extremely critical movie buff and this movie has permanently carved a notch in my top ten films of all time. If you're at all skeptical - don't be. If you're 13-60 (a very cool 60) you'll find something that will appeal to you in this movie, although I suspect its biggest fan base will be men in their 20's to early 30's. I cannot stress the importance of this film as it is now the king of all horror/comedy films. Even if the horror aspect doesn't appeal to you, the comedy is solid and if you don't find yourself laughing at least a few times throughout, then I seriously doubt you're even human. I give this the highest recommendation possible. It's a story about friendship, love, senseless violence, and gut-busting scenes of pure joy. Watch it and you'll know what mean.

A funny gory zombie film!

Author: Prolox from Canada
14 January 2005

SHAUN is a thirty something adult, who's everyday life is a constant repeat. Everyday he gets up eats breakfast, walks to the local convenience store & heads to work. Goes to the pub after work, goes home, goes to bed & wakes up again to start the same day all over again. Well one day Shaun's life takes a turn...but not for the better. You see a plague has hit his small town, turning all the local citizens into zombies. So Shaun has to team up with his slacker buddy to rescue his Mother, kill his Stepfather, rescue his Girlfriend & then go to a place where he thinks they might be safe to stay at until this whole thing blows over...the Pub!. Gross, funny British zombie film is one that all horror fans should check out. The film is a funny spoof of the GEORGE ROMERO zombie flicks like NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD & DAWN OF THE DEAD, heck it even took the score from DAWN & used it during the opening credits! A fun ride all the way. Just make sure you're not eating when you watch it, especially during the scene where the zombies break into the pub to attack them. The first half hour of the film is a bit talky & slow, but stay with it.

***1/2 (stars)

Really really bloody good! small spoilers!

Author: DarkSword from Devon UK
12 January 2005

When i first saw the trailer for Shaun I thought it was a spoof but after watching it i realised that it is so so so much more. The film works on so many levels which is the main reason i like it so much.

On one level it is an excellent Zombie film with some of the best special effects in the genre. The zombies are perfect, the blood isn't over-kill or suggestive but a perfectly gory balance between horrific and subtle. With this, the climactic sequence is tense, scary and effective where it could have easily failed if it were helmed by another director.

Another level the film works at is it's fine grasp of comedy. Of course this is for many the main attraction and the Spaced comparisons are inevitable. Yes its like Spaced, No it isn't better but it isn't worse either. Where spaced was a surreal fanboy orientated sit-com, Shaun is a less-surreal fanboy orientated rom-com. Spaced wouldn't have worked as a film because it is written in episodes and is to hectic however, Shaun is set at a different pace with more realistic settings and characters. The fanboy homage's are still there, references to Raimi and Romero are excellently handled, but this time round Edger Wrights direction has matured and he has made his own style from his influences. Now rather than rip-off camera work we have subtle inserts which are fun for everyone and mean that little bit more to those in the know.

The film also showcases some fine scripting, performances and acting as well as some astonishing set pieces. There are spoofy moments such as the Queen/pool battle and the ambitious use of vinyl as a zombie deterrent but the film isn't just a spoof reel like Scary movie or Hot Shots. Shaun of the Dead is in it's own right a classic horror comedy. Simon Pegg and Nick Frost's double act of Shaun and Ed is inspired and touching and even outdoes Tim and Mike their roles in Spaced. Nick Frost's Ed is so good because he is so real, he's such an honest portrayal of the best mate who you can't quite let go. He's also wonderfully politically incorrect with lines like "wassup nigga's" and "alright........gay" which could easily offend but don't because they are so effectively delivered there's no doubt that no harm is meant.

Overall Shaun of the Dead is bloody fantastic and I recommend it to all! I give it a nine out of Ten. It loses a point because I feel it slightly lacks the feeling of alienation and apocalyptic atmosphere of the Romero greats but is so effective never the less I don't really care.

Cool zombie comedy

Author: Bazooka1
11 January 2005

Shaun of The Dead is pretty mediocre flick in the beginning. I've seen so much of standard British sitcom humor, that it failed to impress. But once the zombies started causing havoc, the film became really funny and entertaining. It was cool to see the film not shying away from all the gore. Good throwback to the old days, when horror movies had some guts! It's pretty well directed with some cool camera angels and stuff like that. And I really liked the actors. Especially Shaun and Ed were really good.

The first 20-30 minutes are kinda boring, but it's really good after that. I would give the film ***/****.

Witty British Spoof tackles lots of issues

Author: Marie Hunter (RieRieZILLA) from Akron, Ohio
9 January 2005

I went into watching this film not knowing too much about it. I was originally expecting a pure comedy, but that's not what it is.

While "Shaun of the Dead" is predominantly a spoof of "Dawn of the Dead", it does touch on a variety of different topics in a semi-serious way.

The title character Shaun is a 29 year old stuck in a dead end job supervising teenage co-workers. He can't seem to get it right with his girlfriend, Liz, and he never goes to visit his mother.

What makes this movie hilarious is that it took an apocalyptic event for Shaun to get his life in gear. While that doesn't sound funny, it surely is made funny by Simon Pegg's performance as Shaun.

Great dialog, a new twist on a common horror theme, and a little seriousness thrown in make this a great film. I wouldn't take anyone squeamish to go see it, but all violence is made to look obviously fake and is done in a slap-stick manner.

Catch this one when you can, it's spectacular!

George A. Romero Meets Monty Python

Author: Fred (thurberdrawing@yahoo.com) from Long Island, USA
4 January 2005

I rented the DVD of SHAUN OF THE DEAD last night and found it very entertaining. The story is very clear and it moves at a brisk pace. Even though there are references galore to other movies, to TV shows and to the world of pop culture in general, the film makers obviously aren't using the references as a substitute for storytelling. The acting is very good; the characters are well-defined and there's a sense of reality in the midst of the unreality. While SHAUN OF THE DEAD refers often to George A. Romero's NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD and DAWN OF THE DEAD, the two scenes with Shaun taking a trip to the store are reminiscent of Monty Python's skit A DAY IN THE LIFE OF A London STOCK BROKER. For a comedy to tip the hat so blithely to something so masterful is a bold move, but it works well. References to British pop personalities eluded me, but I don't think that's a flaw. It's helped me learn a little more about the UK. Two of the main characters look like Harry Potter and Britney Spears on a date, and that will make audiences laugh worldwide. The DVD itself is full of extras. There are two commentary tracks. One features the director and the star and the other features a bunch of the cast members. There are out-takes, flubbed lines and extended versions of peripheral bits seen on TV screens at different times in the movie. There is, in NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD a moment when suddenly we're reminded of the actual horrors of the world at the time the movie was made. It's a brief moment and may not even have been intended as the jolt it always is; but it's part of what made that movie powerful. SHAUN OF THE DEAD has such a moment, equally brief. So, it's not just a comedy or a spoof. It's in a direct line with NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD.